Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 78

Thread: Trading J.O.

  1. #26
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    I think they'd have to deal half their team just to match JO's salary.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #27
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Here are some ideas. They all should work economically. Feel free to throw in a pick here or there if you think it could happen. Charlotte has enough cap room that they could take on JO's salary and not give up all their players.

    A couple of these (the Hinrich trade + the Boston trade) would have to go through next season for cap reasons. Hinrich makes 11,000,000 next year and the Bulls would have the cap room to take on the other 8,000,000 or so. Kendrick Perkins salary jumps from ~1,000,000 this year to ~4,000,000 next year.

    Charlotte

    Emeka Okafor + Gerald Wallace

    Seattle

    JO for Ray Allen + Damien Wilkins
    JO + Shawne for Ray Allen + Earl Watson

    Boston

    JO for Theo Ratliff + Kendrick Perkins + Delonte West + a 1st round pick

    Chicago

    JO for Kirk Hinrich + a 1st round pick
    JO for Ben Wallace + Ben Gordon

    Dallas

    JO for Dampier, Devin Harris, Shawn Bradley

    Lakers

    JO + Tins for Odom, Farmar, Kwame Brown
    JO for Odom, Farmar, Radmanovic

    Memphis

    JO for Pau Gasol + either Stromile Swift or Brian Cardinal

    Minnesota

    JO for Mark Blount, Mike James, + either Marko Jaric or Troy Hudson

    New Jersey

    JO for Jason Kidd + 1st Rd. Pick

    New York

    JO for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, Mardy Collins + 1st Rd. Pick

    Portland

    JO for Raef Lafrentz, Joel Pryzbilla, & Jarrett Jack + 1st rd. pick


    Let me know if you like any of these. I'm not sure that I do.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  3. #28
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe something with the bobcats? even though they aren't a winning team, maybe j.o. wouldn't mind playing for the team closest to his hometown.

    I could care less if any player 'minds' where he is traded or not, I only care that the other team gives the Pacers their best deal (which is to say what is best for the Pacers from amongst the offers). OTOH, a team like Charlotte MIGHT be interested since JO is from the area and they may see it as a drawing card.

    His growing salary is going to make him hard to trade which is one of the reasons I thought the team should've been trying to move him sooner when (I believe) it became obvious a trade was becoming inevitable.



    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #29
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Successful Scenario:


  5. #30

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    I'm all for trading JO

    but I'm sort of confused as to how TPTB will proceed

    now, here are 2 possible options I've come up with, assuming consistency with prior decisions by Walsh and Bird:

    1) the team continues losing and thus doesn't have to give up its 2007 #1 to the Hawks

    in this case, JO plus our 2007 #1 for whatever loser (or losers) out there


    2) the team makes the playoffs and surrenders its 2007 #1 to the Hawks

    in this case, JO plus our 2008 #1 for whatever loser (or losers) out there


    either way WE WIN

    love being without a pick

    here's a good option

    JO and either the 2007 or 2008 #1 FOR BABY AL



    this is too funny

    maybe we can get Kevin McHale to take over the front office

    all I know is, if I were this inept, I'd never get work

    if the product was entertaining, then the ineptness could be somewhat forgiven

    but, DULL BASKEBALL and DUMB moves

    make for changes of allegiance

  6. #31
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    I think those would all be realistic, aside from the Charlotte and Seattle deals.

    Gerald Wallace will almost certainly opt out of his contract next year, so that deal doesn't work, nor would Charlotte do it.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #32
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Another variable that not too many people are thinking about is the fact that if J.O. is going to opt out, he has to be signed by a team under the cap.

    There are not too many of those, these days. The teams that are under the cap are there for a reason, and taking a max player may not fit their team's needs. If J.O. opts out with no certain destination in mind....he could be rolling the dice and end up with a team that is just as bad as the Pacers could be.

    Another thing to look at is J.O. will be a short term rental. His player option is very close to the end of his deal. Some teams might be leary of the same situation we had with Peja. I'm sure J.O. would give the team he is playing for the first shot, but if it is not another max deal...his current team has about as much of a shot as any other team with the cap space to land him. This could be a bug-a-boo when trying to deal him from the Pacers or if and when J.O. tries to opt out. Before you say, well J.O. can promise to sign with his new team...Let me throw the name Carlos Boozer at you....That dirt bag swindled a blind man that trusted him and his sob story only to lose him.

    J.O. doesn't hold all the cards on his player option, and I can see it being strictly managment's call whether Jermaine is a Pacer. Not the other way around.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  8. #33
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,540

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2) the team makes the playoffs and surrenders its 2007 #1 to the Hawks

    in this case, JO plus our 2008 #1 for whatever loser (or losers) out there
    Minor thing...but I thought that we can't trade 1st round picks in back-to-back years
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  9. #34
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Also, J.O. is not getting packaged with anyone. His contract is staggering enough on its own and we will have to take a world of junk back with whatever we get. Max players don't get traded everyday.

    Another move the Pacers could be considering is....hold onto your hat....



    Letting J.O. just walk. Letting him walk might add some cap flexibility since we have the terrible deals of the new guys and attempt the free agent game, but even in my mind that is a strech.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  10. #35
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Minor thing...but I thought that we can't trade 1st round picks in back-to-back years
    No, you can't be without your next two 1st round picks.

    Assuming the Pacers lose their pick this year, they'll have their next 2 first rounders, so they'd be able to trade one after this year's draft.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. #36
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,540

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, J.O. is not getting packaged with anyone. His contract is staggering enough on its own and we will have to take a world of junk back with whatever we get. Max players don't get traded everyday.

    Another move the Pacers could be considering is....hold onto your hat....



    Letting J.O. just walk. Letting him walk might add some cap flexibility since we have the terrible deals of the new guys and attempt the free agent game, but even in my mind that is a strech.
    That maybe an option in the 2008 summer....but ( from what Hicks was saying ) that won't be an option in the 2007 summer.

    I know that the salary's are huge....but I really hope that TPTB really package JONeal with Tinsley...cuz I don't see any other way ( short of packaging him with Granger ) that Tinsley will be gone.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    I don't think that J.O. is going anywhere. This Year. If Carlise Is fired or moved then that give Jermaine a new coach and a new system for one year. (or until the trade deadline next year). This will give Larry and Donnie a chance to evaluate the new "star/coach" relationship.

    If Carlise is going to remain the coach of the Pacers..... then I expect Larry and Donnie are probably shopping J.O. right now.

    The J.O./Carlise relationship just isn't working out, according to what Bird has said about his vision for the team and how he wants them to play.

  13. #38
    Member OnlyPacersLeft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    94
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay. Here's realistic: JO isn't going anywhere. JO is a fantastic player, and he's staying a Pacer.
    how realistic is that? I love JO on the pacers but even i think he's out of here...I'm just waiting for us to fall out of the playoffs for him to announce his "Season ending surgery"
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

  14. #39
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    What team can offer JO 20 mil a year if he just walks out? If anything he'll be traded. He's not just going to forfeit 40 some million dollars because he doesn't like whatever he doesn't like. If the arguement is "JO is gonna demand a trade" i can see that, but it seems like some people are suggesting that he'll just void the rest of his contract and try his hand at free agency.

    If I understand it right, he can't opt out until after next season. He can make 40% of what he will have made in his 1st 12 NBA seasons in those final 2 seasons of the contract. That's like 30 times what most people make in a lifetime. 40 million is still alot of money even if you've made 100 million already.

  15. #40
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Oh, there is no chance in hell JO opts out.

    He still might get traded though.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #41
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, J.O. is not getting packaged with anyone. His contract is staggering enough on its own and we will have to take a world of junk back with whatever we get. Max players don't get traded everyday.

    Another move the Pacers could be considering is....hold onto your hat....



    Letting J.O. just walk. Letting him walk might add some cap flexibility since we have the terrible deals of the new guys and attempt the free agent game, but even in my mind that is a strech.
    Yeh, that's silly.

  17. #42
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,868

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Seattle

    JO for Ray Allen + Damien Wilkins
    JO + Shawne for Ray Allen + Earl Watson

    .
    Since I have talked about Seattle a bit in this thread I think that any both of these trades you are basically saying JO=Ray Allen which is BS. Shawne is also worth more than Watson easily.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  18. #43
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,868

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, there is no chance in hell JO opts out.

    He still might get traded though.
    I agree I don't think JO will opt out even if he doesn't like the situation.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since I have talked about Seattle a bit in this thread I think that any both of these trades you are basically saying JO=Ray Allen which is BS. Shawne is also worth more than Watson easily.
    Its also a bad trade if you want to rebuild.Ray Allen at this point in his career is not somebody you build a team mainly because of his age.

  20. #45
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,540

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike_D View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its also a bad trade if you want to rebuild.Ray Allen at this point in his career is not somebody you build a team mainly because of his age.
    Well....that's the question.....do TPTB want to completely rebuild from scratch around Granger/Shawne/Ike?

    or

    Do they want to do the same old same old......as in simply getting to the Playoffs?

    I agree with you....getting Ray Allen isn't the best route to take if we are completely rebuilding....but it could possibly get us back to the Playoffs.

    I don't think that we are going to be able to get a future starting PG, SG and Center and a huge expiring Contract that we can truly build around for JONeal.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #46
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,996

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well....that's the question.....do TPTB want to completely rebuild from scratch around Granger/Shawne/Ike?

    or

    Do they want to do the same old same old......as in simply getting to the Playoffs?

    I agree with you....getting Ray Allen isn't the best route to take if we are completely rebuilding....but it could possibly get us back to the Playoffs.

    I don't think that we are going to be able to get a future starting PG, SG and Center and a huge expiring Contract that we can truly build around for JONeal.
    They want to get to the playoffs but they want the fans to be able to believe the team has a chance.... IMHO...

    No marketing campaign yet devised can convince people this team has a chance of anything right now.


    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  22. #47
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,540

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They want to get to the playoffs but they want the fans to be able to believe the team has a chance.... IMHO...

    No marketing campaign yet devised can convince people this team has a chance of anything right now.

    -Bball
    If ( as always ) the mantra is to "simply make the Playoffs".....wouldn't getting a player like Ray Allen and a "squeaky clean" player like Ridnour ( while getting rid of a fan-favorite like Tinsley ) be a good start to winning the fans back?

    I get the feeling that we are where the Blazers were a couple of years ago.....we're gonna go for the "squeaky clean" player just to try to win back the trust of the players.

    BTW....if we could get on track to rebuliding like the Bulls did...after they jettisoned Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler.....then I would be all for rebuilding from scratch.....but unless TPTB are able to pull out some trade like the Sixers did where they get back a solid starting PG like Dre, an Expiring Contract and 2 1st round draft picks.....I don't know if rebuilding from scratch is attainable.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,918

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    I still think it's unlikely that J.O. is traded. He makes too much money to opt out after next year so I don't see a sense of urgency on mgmts. part to trade him. I think it's more likely they try to compliment the team by upgrading our back court. Big men are always valued even Murphy with his contract, Foster, Harrison, and Ike are all very tradable.

  24. #49
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    904

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well....that's the question.....do TPTB want to completely rebuild from scratch around Granger/Shawne/Ike?
    This is a little off topic but I have a question for everyone...when you try to build around someone, aren't they usually starters? I mean don't Granger and Shawne play the same position? Or can either of them play at another spot? I'm not questioning their talent, but would you all be ok with Shawne as just a backup for Granger?

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,616

    Default Re: Trading J.O.

    Lets say we end up in the 11 to 14 range as far as our draft pick goes, losing it to the Hawks.

    How about O'Neal to Atlanta for a player & their 2 first rounders?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •