Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading J.O.

Default Trading J.O.

As the slide continues, it's hard to envision a scenario where JO is excited about playing for the Pacers next year.

My question is this: At this point, what is fair value for JO? To rephrase, when you hear that JO has been traded, what are some packages you'd be satisfied with?

p.s. Let's try to be realistic here. We'd all love to get Stoudamire, Barbosa, and Phoenix's three first round picks from this year, but that's not going to happen.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trading J.O.

superstars making max money never ever fetch equal value.

Look at Shaq, Iverson, Webber, etc.

Max salaries are so tough to move, even when they're attached to outstanding players.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

With the recent news about JO getting a second opinion on his knee, it's likely he'll miss at least 8 games pushing him past Jamaal Tinsley in games missed over the last three seasons. Jermaine O'Neal is injury prone.

Consider the money, his involvement in the brawl, low shooting %, high turnovers, his leadership of a team that has fallen apart for three straight seasons and I'm not even sure what fair trade value is with him anymore. I know how we Pacer fans feel about him but an outsiders view is likely different.

I think we should get the best guard we can for him. We'll likely get slightly better value that way than trying to replace him with a big.

So, would you trade for a young guard coupled with a bad contract vet? Something like Devin Harris & Dampier for JO? Or Hinrich & Wallace?

Or would you try to get a high-priced older guard like Bibby or Chauncey or Kidd?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

That would be funny if we traded JO to Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be funny if we traded JO to Sacramento for Ron.
    Fixed
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

I will stir up a hornets nest. I for one have never seen JO as the leader. Great player yes. But leader no.

I agree with that. Since his arrival it's been a leadership by committee situation. First there was Reggie, Jalen, Al and Big Smooth, followed by Reggie, Ron, Al and JO followed by Reggie, JO, and Jackson followed by JO, Jack and Al to where we are now Tins and JO.

That's right Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O'Neal are the leaders of this team. Two guys who play about 65% of the time, I mean that literally not in the sense of effort but in actual games they play.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    So, would you trade for a young guard coupled with a bad contract vet? Something like Devin Harris & Dampier for JO? Or Hinrich & Wallace?

Or would you try to get a high-priced older guard like Bibby or Chauncey or Kidd?
    Looking at the draft situation and how many PGs are on target to come out next year, I think IF you are trading JO you go for aging backcourt guy (PG or SG, ie Ray Allen) and a pick. If you must throw in Shawne to get that pick then maybe you do it if it's high enough (and the Pacers don't already have one).

From that you could get a PG/SG leader, get a young big this year, let ATL have the Pacers 11+ pick this season, and then next year you come back with the first round pick (now safe because you gave ATL your pick this year) and draft a PG, let that young player have a season or two behind that big money vet you brought on board.

You take a hit at PF, but it does force the team to work Ike as well as the high draft pick from this season.

This is a 2 year rebuild plan only though, no other reason to move JO. Doing that deal means instant struggle IMO.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Good question.

Should start by saying that whether JO feels inclined to be a part of this team or not is irrelevant. He signed a contract. He doesn't have to like it, but he plays here if we don't trade him.

This isn't an original idea, but if we decided to trade him, I would like to see him go to Chicago for something involving Hinrich, Nocioni and a pick. They have a need, and JO and Ben Wallace would be a formidable frontcourt.

I doubt the Pacers would send a player like JO to a division rival. It's not unprecendented, but unlikely. JO and Wallace would be a formidable front court. We'd get to see that up close and personal 4 times a year as well.

Got to believe if the Ps want to deal JO they will do their best to send him West. Seems like there have been a few PD members mention LA as a likely destination. If Lamar Odom is dangled as part of a trade I could see that point.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

p.s. Let's try to be realistic here.
    Okay. Here's realistic: JO isn't going anywhere. JO is a fantastic player, and he's staying a Pacer.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I doubt the Pacers would send a player like JO to a division rival. It's not unprecendented, but unlikely. JO and Wallace would be a formidable front court. We'd get to see that up close and personal 4 times a year as well.
    On the flip side, JO and Wallace would be due $35.2 M next year alone.

We'd be getting our point guard of the future and a very good SF at reasonable cap numbers.

I'd rather get the young guy and a bad contract, preferably a bad contract shorter than JO's contract.

Sports Logo

I have a simple question about JONeal's contract status.

Checking Hoopshype, it shows that he has a Player option in the 2007-2008 season.

Does this mean that he can exercize his Player Option during the 2007 offseason ( 3-4 months from now ) and therefore opt out to become a Free Agent?

or

Does this mean that he can exercize his Player Option during the 2008 offseason ( 1+ year from now in the 2008 summer )?

If he does choose to exercize his Player option, does this mean that he becomes a Restricted Free Agent or an Unrestricted Free Agent?

Understanding this would help figure out what the best option is for JONeal.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It means 2008 summer he can opt out.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    What's with not trading within the division? I've never understood that.

I mean, if it makes you better, then you're better than the team you sent your guy to.

It really makes little sense to me unless it has something to do with insider information and plays and such.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IDK if JO will or won't be a Pacer next year, but I think if we move him it will be only if he we have no other options to get better. Now that maybe the reality especially if we are unwilling to part with the young guys. If we could get Ray Allen + first round pick for JO I would do that. Then take a young PG who has shown some leadership ability. I know I am harping on Acie Law like its my job, but I was harping on Roy this time last year as well and he is the front runner for rookie of the year. Law is going to be a solid to very good PG in this league for 10 to 12 years and has already shown good leadership in college.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It means 2008 summer he can opt out.
    Thankx. Will he be a restricted or unrestricted FA?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    IDK if JO will or won't be a Pacer next year, but I think if we move him it will be only if he we have no other options to get better. Now that maybe the reality especially if we are unwilling to part with the young guys. If we could get Ray Allen + first round pick for JO I would do that. Then take a young PG who has shown some leadership ability. I know I am harping on Acie Law like its my job, but I was harping on Roy this time last year as well and he is the front runner for rookie of the year. Law is going to be a solid to very good PG in this league for 10 to 12 years and has already shown good leadership in college.
    I would do a Ray Allen + Ridnour ( or Watson ) for JONeal + Tinsley....it may not be the best starting PG out there....but despite both of their rather shaky defense, I would much rather have Ridnour then have Tinsley as our starting PG.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Thankx. Will he be a restricted or unrestricted FA?
    I have no idea. My guess is unrestricted.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have no idea. My guess is unrestricted.
    Unrestricted, you're right.

I don't think I've ever even heard of the restricted tag applying to NBA players in the last 15 years unless they're in their rookie contract.
    Narf!

maybe something with the bobcats? even though they aren't a winning team, maybe j.o. wouldn't mind playing for the team closest to his hometown.