Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our draft pick is top 10 lottery protected. Thanks mboyle1313, update #30

Default Our draft pick is top 10 lottery protected. Thanks mboyle1313, update #30

I was listening to the Rick Carlisle show and Mark Boyle said something that caught my attention (yes Mark people do actually listen to the show). Mark said thet the pick is top 10 protected (we all know that) but he said it is determined by record, not the lottery. So in theory if we finish with the 11th worst record in the NBA - we lose the pick no matter what, even if we win the lottery - the Hawks get the pick.

I thought the lottery detemined whether we lose the pick or not? Am I wrong.

While I'm thinking about it: Rick said that JO has only practiced once since early January. No wonder the team looks disjointed when JO is in the lineup.

Default Re: Question about whether our 1st round pick this year is truly top 10 protected

He hasn't practiced since January? thats some crazy stuff right there.

Default Re: Question about whether our 1st round pick this year is truly top 10 protected

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I'm thinking about it: Rick said that JO has only practiced once since early January.
    That sounds like conduct detrimental to the team.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Im not sure but from what i have heard there really isnt many practices during the season so if thats the case how many has he really missed, i dont think its a big deal if they are sitting him out to rest his knee.

The reason why he's missed all those practices is because he's been too injured. He's probably missed 10 or 12 twelve practices. There were a lot of opportunities in February. Plus with all the new guys I think it is vital that he is able to practice

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    That sounds like conduct detrimental to the team.....
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

could have sworn the pick was lottery protected this year and top 10 protected next year.

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

POINT YOU TRY TELL ME IS THAT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE PLACE IN LOTTREY WE LOSE THE PICK!
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmusicxboxpacer View Post
    POINT YOU TRY TELL ME IS THAT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE PLACE IN LOTTREY WE LOSE THE PICK!

Mark said we have to end the season with one of the 10 worst records in the NBA or we lose the pick, no matter what happens in the lottery. In other wordss, if we end up with the 11th worst record, the pick goes to the Hawks so then the Hawks would have our ping pong balls in the lottery.

Mark said we have to end the season with one of the 10 worst records in the NBA or we lose the pick, no matter what happens in the lottery. In other wordss, if we end up with the 11th worst record, the pick goes to the Hawks so then the Hawks would have our ping pong balls in the lottery.
    That's my understanding, because if say you're pick was top 5 protected.
    And you finished with the 8th worst record but somehow via the lottery you got up to number 5 you would not get to keep your pick just because the ball bounced your way so to speak.

Why Not Us ?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

so here's my questions...conversely if we end up with the 10th worst record and ping pong balls put us in 11th pick...we still get the pick...si?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    so here's my questions...conversely if we end up with the 10th worst record and ping pong balls put us in 11th pick...we still get the pick...si?
    Well, I guess it'd have to be one or the other. Either it's top-10 based on the lotto, or top-10 based on record.

So if it's the latter, then yes we could have 11-14 pick as long as we have the 10th-worst record or worse.

If it's the former, we could have the 11th-14th worst record, but if we land a top-3 pick in the lotto, we keep it.

Well right now we are in a 3 way tie for 12th worst record. But almost all the teams that are out of the playoffs in the West have almost the same record as us. By looking at those teams, I think we will end up with at least the 8th worst record.

Man, if we don't beat Atlanta, what other ray of hope do you see for a victory anytime soon? And on top of that, Atlanta isn't playing like Atlanta right now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    Man, if we don't beat Atlanta, what other ray of hope do you see for a victory anytime soon? And on top of that, Atlanta isn't playing like Atlanta right now.
    If we lose to Atlanta, we will be the clear underdog in every game the rest of the month. If this were earlier in the season, I think it would be more likely we would pick up some wins, but teams are fighting for playoff position now and will not go to sleep on us.

It could be a really good month.

I don't think the record trumps the pick position. I don't think the Pacers would have painted themselves into that corner. Correct me if I'm wrong; the lottery is only to determine the #1 pick, and then the remaining picks are ordered according to record and any deals that might have been made involving the picks. Is that correct?

The lottery determines the first 3 picks. After that, the teams in the lottery who haven't gotten a pick are assigned their pick orders based on record.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    The lottery determines the first 3 picks. After that, the teams in the lottery who haven't gotten a pick are assigned their pick orders based on record.
    No, the lottery decides all pick order of those in the lottery. Theortically, we could end up with the number four pick if we finish in the lottery. Inversely, Memphis could end up with the 12th pick, even though they have the worst record.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso71 View Post
    No, the lottery decides all pick order of those in the lottery. Theortically, we could end up with the number four pick if we finish in the lottery. Inversely, Memphis could end up with the 12th pick, even though they have the worst record.

I think the worse that Memphis could end up is the 4th pick, or who ever has the worst record.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso71 View Post
    Sorry, but Fool is right here.
    Narf!

Sports Logo

I know that Carlisle said this on his show....but has there been any official clarification on how the pick is actually protected?

Its not that I don't trust what you guys are saying.....but until we get an official announcement on this from TPTB.......this just seems like a new "wrinkle" that could make a huge difference for the Pacers once the season ends.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    Sorry, but Fool is right here.
    I stand corrected. Here's the whole process. Intersting how complex it really is, though. Link: http://www.answers.com/topic/nba-draft-lottery

I've never heard of a team protecting a pick any other way than where that pick ends up after the lottery has been conducted. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're not allowed to do it some other way, but it would be incredibly stupid to do so.

If the Pacers left themselves open to the possibility of having to give up a top 3 pick by finishing with the 11th worst record and then getting "lucky" in the lottery, then that would be one of the biggest front office blunders ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DelNegro View Post
    I've never heard of a team protecting a pick any other way than where that pick ends up after the lottery has been conducted. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're not allowed to do it some other way, but it would be incredibly stupid to do so.

If the Pacers left themselves open to the possibility of having to give up a top 3 pick by finishing with the 11th worst record and then getting "lucky" in the lottery, then that would be one of the biggest front office blunders ever.

I seem to remember watching the lottery show and hearing that so and so got this pick through a trade. I've never heard a scenerio during the lottery show where they say if a team finishes in the top three they keep the pick and lose the pick if they finish someplace else. In other words, it seems to me that the exchanging of picks via trade is always done prior to the lottery show

I seem to remember watching the lottery show and hearing that so and so got this pick through a trade. I've never heard a scenerio during the lottery show where they say if a team finishes in the top three they keep the pick and lose the pick if they finish someplace else. In other words, it seems to me that the exchanging of picks via trade is always done prior to the lottery show
    I'll confess to not being a huge follower of the lottery show since my team hasn't been on it in quite some time. But I do know that it's a made for TV event. By the time the show comes on the lottery has already been run and the order is set. The team representatives on stage don't know the order, but the league does, as do other team representatives who aren't on stage, but who got to watch the drawing itself. I'd assume that when the show airs the commentators are only talking about the trades where lottery protections did not come into play.

Intuitively, the whole point of saying I want Top 10 protection on my draft pick is to say that I don't want to give up my draft pick if it's in the top 10. Until the lottery is conducted I don't know if I've got a top 10 pick or not.