Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm officially embarrassed.

Default I'm officially embarrassed.

The Atlanta Hawks are averaging more fans per home game than the Pacers.

Pacers averaging 15,301.
    Hawks averaging 15,612

I never thought I'd live long enough to see this day.

Pacers are 3rd worst in the league. Ahead of only the Grizzlies and Sixers.

Have we really sunk this low

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm officially embarrassed.

Yeah its a bit low

although you have to factor in we had some bad weather over the last couple of months..i know its no excuse but Atlanta has a more mild weather then us...again no excuse but it just goes to show how the general public thinks about the Pacers.

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

I'm surprised Atlanta's is that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm surprised Atlanta's is that high.
    They've got an entertaining team.

And UB, I know you want to blame this all on me. It's okay, I don't mind.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Overall, Indianapolis and Indiana have not had a bad winter. How many home games were scheduled during the one decent snow Indy got this winter? Heck, an empty fieldhouse (and I mean zero people) for one game would only reduce the season average by about 425-430 people on a per game basis.

No, Buck is right. It IS that bad.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The Atlanta Hawks are averaging more fans per home game than the Pacers.

Pacers averaging 15,301.
    Hawks averaging 15,612

I never thought I'd live long enough to see this day.

Pacers are 3rd worst in the league. Ahead of only the Grizzlies and Sixers.

Have we really sunk this low
    I have been embarrassed for this team and its fans for a couple years now.

The switch flipped for me when Bird posed in SI with Ron. I had supported Ron (to other fans) for a long time...purely because I loved the way he played the game....but I recognized at that particular point that Bird had made a bad decision.

It flipped again when he and/or RC said they didn't want any milk drinkers. I knew at that point there was something terribly wrong in the front office. It flipped once again when they did not trade Jack and Tinsley over the summer. I gave them a clean slate at the beginning of the year, but we know what happened...TWICE!

They are beginning to right the ship, but she's taken on a lot of water...and the captain (Bird) has brought on more dead weight. If they can somehow throw Tinsley overboard, it would be another step in the right direction. ....but it continues to flip to this day as long as he is our starting PG.

The fans will not return until they have a reason to come.

Players play poorly->Rick doesn't bench players for poor play->Bird won't fire Carlisle->Simons won't fire Bird->iceberg.

I used to think Atlanta had the worst fans in pro sports, and maybe they do, so that makes this embarrassing. I don't think, in general, that Indiana is a good fan town, but the Pacers are doing absolutely nothing to entice fans into coming.

Who wants to see a team play with no heart and effort? I yawned just from typing it.

I also have to say this is EXACTLY what TPTB get for not putting/keeping their foot down at the end of last season. What a bad, bad year of decisions this has been (maybe one of the worst I've ever seen at any level).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

The switch flipped for me when Bird posed in SI with Ron.
    To be 100% honest about it, the switch first flipped for me when Bird was hired. I don't think it has EVER fully flipped back since then, and probably won't until he is gone.

On a lighter note, would that be considered "flipping the bird"?

wow.. just a few week ago we were 27th and so now we have dropped another spot

So here is the updated trend to date.

Season/ Overall Rank
    2002-2003
    16,352 Rank 15th

2003-2004
    16,556 Rank 15th
    2004-2005
    16,994 Rank 17th
    2005-2006
    16,179 Rank 24th

2006-2007
    15,301 Rank 28th

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

The games just aren't as much fun without the Kegboy.

Sports Logo

3rd worst attendance record in the league?

Its a good thing that the Simon's have a Marketing department that can come up with that "110% effort" and "Its up to us" campaign. That seemed to work wonders for winning back the fans
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This teams gonna get moved isn't it? Damn it...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

If the Pacers ever leave town I will seriously never watch another NBA game ever, I don't care if we eventually get an expansion team I would stop watching the NBA.

The reason people like Atlanta has more fans than us is because they don't expect much they expect these types of seasons and don't get frustrated when they come. Plus they're young so they can always live with the delusion they'll get better next year once they've had a few years of experience. Us on the other hand we're use to making the playoffs even if it is a bounce in the first round, the Pacers really kept setting the bar higher and higher on themselves year after year until eventually this collapse. I also think the fans are tired of being lied to "we're going to change we're all happy together and going to have great chemistry and play unselfishly." It's always something some true fan WANTS to believe so they give it a chance and then they spit in our faces.

The fact that we're the 7th team in the East after losing 7 straight is just pitiful. I went and looked at in the standings overall in where we rank and we're #15 there are seriously 14 teams with worse records than that and continue to be awful. The bad part about this is I don't think unless we lose every game from here on on out or maybe win very few and lose the rest that we'll get a top 10 draft pick. The teams that actually have a chance to finish better than us I think is Orlando, New Jersey, New York, Seattle, Minnesota and Golden State. If all those teams did in fact finish with a better record we would slide down to 9th and with any luck we might move up one or two spots due to the lottery(hopefully not down). All the other teams are so far gone they're virtually uncatchable unless one of them do something crazy like an 8 game win streak and that would be pretty dumb of them all things considered at this pont.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Indy is Fairweather Fan Central. Has been for a while now.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

woman without a team

No one seems to care that I don't go any more.
    I'm the one who actually cheered!

As for why more people are attending Hawks games I'm sure it has everything to do with Anthony Johnson being there. (I know he just got there 2 weeks ago. Work with me, people.)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

They had trouble pulling that many when they were a 50 win team featuring the human highlight reel. So like Hicks I'm surprised by the ATL figure too.

To be 100% honest about it, the switch first flipped for me when Bird was hired.
    Well you were mostly alone feeling that way. The 61 win run put attendance back up from the previous season. More fans attended games that year than in the 97-98 season even. Bird and Rick brought fans back after the Isiah frustration, they didn't send them out. The following year the attendence went even higher, but of course this was inspite of the brawl and mostly because of Reggie.

And notice that they were 17th in the NBA in 04-05 (according to Frank), despite it being the Pacers THIRD BEST attendence ever! They've only averaged over 17K twice and only averaged over 18K once (and that was all sell-outs in Conseco's first year). The other 17K season obviously came in Conseco's 2nd season.

If we were talking about MSA you'd be maxed out around 16.5K. Go look where that would rank them even if they sold out every single game. The fact is that you aren't going to put 20K average in the stands in Indy unless maybe the team wins 60 and the title AND they build a new arena (or play some games at Lucas Oil).

Players play poorly->Rick doesn't bench players for poor play->
    Wait a second, why do you think David struggles to get off the bench, or Rawle, or Greene (except when they want defense)?

This teams gonna get moved isn't it? Damn it...
    Not even close to happening.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

More telling about the Pacers appeal, they are 7th in the NBA for ROAD attendence. So it has more to do with local fans than it does with the team up to this point. Drawing 3000 more fans on the road than at home? Drawing more fans on the road right now than they've ever pulled in at home except for year 1 in Conseco?

Save the excuse that fans come to see them because they know it's a sure win. In most cities the big name teams draw, teams like the Lakers or Cleveland. Right now CLE, LAL, MIA and PHX lead the NBA in road attendence which says quite a bit IMO.

Rick doesn't bench *starters* for poor play.

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Agreed. The Pacers should just plan their rebuilding effort around Peyton Manning's retirement.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Last time I checked Indiana wasn't doing as great economically compared to most of the cities in the NBA. It's still NAPtown, and given the facts, can you blame an average JOE for not coughin up hard earned moolah to watch the NBA's most boring show since the Grinch took over as head coach?- ok in fairness, after Reggie Miller retired with the Grinch as head coach.

I wouldn't say fair weathered, maybe there is an angle but that is an insult to Indiana fans. I no longer live in the Nap and I did for only about 3 years but I've come to known that people in Indiana support sports like no other around the country. People come out to watch high school ball even when they have nobody to root for or no friends or relatives in the game. I know this because I've worked in Conseco. They are not fair-weathered, matterfact, it's their avid patronage that afforded them the ability to sense a lethargic team when they have it. Who in their right mind would want to pay to watch THIS TEAM lead by THIS COACH?!?!?!?!?! We don't have a superstar that can draw people in like an AI, LbJ, Wade or Shaq. We hang our hats on teamwork and organized half court ball, defense and a coach that's supposed to be a offensive mastermind. Well all of that went down the drain, so why are the fans to blame?

People come to games to get a positive feeling out of it. With this team, it's hard to do that. Can't keep forcing movie goers to watch movies like Howard the Duck. Kevin Costner's career went down after Waterworld. That's just how it is. Only idiots or I guess the real obssesive addict types or even perhaps the bored filthy rich people who don't have anything to do around Indy with a ton of money to burn, would keep on paying and patronizing a team that obviuosly doesn't share the same amount of interest in winning. Everybody has their ways but the majority will generally give back the amount that is given to them. If it's worth it, people will pay for it.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That Atlanta is probably paid attendance, not actual butts in the seats. I would think that they would usually have a big gap between the two figures given the number of large companies that have seasons to give to clients. When you watch a Hawks game, there is no where that there is over 10,000 at some of them.

FWIW, I don't think that Stern would allow a team with a new arena to move. It would set a bad precedent.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

That's a rather interesting figure, given the attitude toward the Hawks around here.

Hawks attendance seems to be up by 600 per game - not that much, really, and probably due to changes that were made through the summer.

Pacer attendance is down by 800 per game, and that can most certainly be blamed on the on-and-off-court woes.

It would be very interesting to get a month-by-month attendance stat to see when or if the dropoff occurred.

I am sure these figures are what prompted the change in ticket prices for next year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    FWIW, I don't think that Stern would allow a team with a new arena to move. It would set a bad precedent.
    Conseco is 8 years old, that's middle-aged in Arena Years.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Here are my reasons:

-Playing below expectations (which is different than losing)
    -Unlikable players/coach (I heard many people complain about JO and Carlisle even when they were winning)
    -Insane prices for balcony seats (this is being corrected, finally)
    -Lack of direction (are we rebuilding? contending? content with .500?)
    -Lack of identity (are we a light-em-up run-and-gun? a grind-it-out defensive squad? a nuts-and-bolts all-around team?)

I said this in another thread, but what we lack right now is the ability to hit a homerun. No flasy dunkers, no shooters who can hit 4 treys in a row, no point guards who can make a dazzling pass. We never sneak up on a contender with a big road win, and we never beat the crap out of a playoff team at home. Nobody on the team will bust out with the occasional 40 point game or a 20 assist game. Last second buzzer-beaters never seem to drop. The magic is gone. When is the last time you saw something at a Pacer's game that you did not expect (other that the P's being blown out)?

It boils down to this:

When is the last time you saw something that made you go into the office the next day and say "Holy crap, did you see the Pacers game last night?!?"