Thread: Artest guarding Wade

Default Artest guarding Wade

Surprised this adjustment has not gotten more attention, more discussion.

One thing that artest can do that Tinsley cannot is challange Wade's shot. Yes Wade can blow by Artest, but Artest can usually catch back up with him if the pacers help a little, and then Artest can disrupts Wades 12 foot jumpers.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...c11621082.html

Wade better find way around Pacers' Artest

By Greg Stoda, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Monday, May 17, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS -- There's no secret.

It's no great mystery.

Indiana is coming after Dwyane Wade.

Maybe constantly. Maybe a lot. Maybe just when the Pacers deem it most necessary.

And, no, not strictly or even primarily in the rough-him-up sense (though there certainly will be large doses of that, too, given the player -- Ron Artest -- Indiana has assigned to implement its plan).

What happened through the first 4 1/2 games of the Heat-Indiana playoff series is Wade became the Pacers' biggest problem. The quicksilver rookie point guard cut too large a swath from perimeter to basket, and the Pacers were at a loss to do much about it.

It reached the point, in fact, at which Artest stated right out loud that Indiana was incapable of stopping Wade.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle listened, apparently, and he called on -- hey, lookee here, Artest -- to track and cover Wade sometime shortly after the beginning of the third quarter of Saturday night's Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinal round series in Conseco Fieldhouse.

And it worked.

Oh, man, did it work.

Wade scored exactly zero points during the 12-plus minutes Artest tracked him. That's more than a little significant considering Wade led the Heat with 16 points and had scored 22, 19, 25 and 20 in the previous four games.

Artest's time spent on Wade helped boost Indiana from a seven-point margin to a more comfortable advantage, which the Pacers protected well enough to win a third game -- to the Heat's two -- and gain an edge in the best-of-seven series.

Which is why there's sure to be more of the same coming Tuesday night when the NBA festivities shift to AmericanAirlines Arena where the Heat is unbeaten in its past 18 games but must now win again in order to extend its season.

"We should eat it up," Wade insisted when The Artest Plan was mentioned in the loser's locker room after the 94-83 loss dropped the Heat into gotta-win hole.

So he says.

But it was Miami coach Stan Van Gundy who said he "wasn't surprised" by Indiana's defensive adjustment except for the fact he "expected to see it earlier" in the series.

And still it rendered the Heat dysfunctional long enough for Indiana to lay the foundation for the important victory. His players, Van Gundy said, "weren't effective" exploiting other matchups created by the change of Artest's defensive assignment. Jamaal Tinsley, who had been guarding Wade, shifted to Eddie Jones and Reggie Miller shifted from Jones to Caron Butler in replacing Artest there.

Van Gundy's desire is to make better use of Jones and Butler "down in the post" if Indiana again goes to Artest against Wade.

Butler, too, remained firmly confident about Miami's possibilities should Indiana stick with sticking Artest on Wade.

"We have a lot of guys who can do things," Butler said. "If you don't know that, you don't get this team."

Get, he meant, as in "understand" the Heat.

The most important thing to understand about Miami at the moment, however, is that it had better figure out a counter move -- and fast -- to deal with Artest, who was the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year this season. He is four inches taller and much more muscular than Wade, and had an immediate impact against him by making the Heat use more possession-clock time getting into its offense.

And tick, tick, tick goes the Miami's series clock, too.

Carlisle, figuring it's best not to give away secrets, downplayed the strategy as nothing more than a method of giving Wade "a different look." So, in fact, did Artest by saying Wade played a "great" game and insisting "we didn't slow him down much."

Wade was downright dismissive of the tactic.

"There were times I could have run right by (Artest), but I was trying to run the offense and get guys shots (Van Gundy) wanted," Wade said.

Oh.

Memo to Heat: Wade, if he really can run by Artest, should.

Otherwise, the Pacers soon enough will run all the way by Miami.

greg_stoda@pbpost.com

sweabs

Default Re: Artest guarding Wade

Van Gundy's desire is to make better use of Jones and Butler "down in the post" if Indiana again goes to Artest against Wade.
    This could be scary. Especially in Miami where Butler seems to never miss...with his size and power on Reggie he could easily post him up...let's hope for good help defense, if in fact Carlisle is going to put Artest on Wade.

Another thing that concerns me about putting Artest on Wade is the possibility of foul trouble. If Wade chooses to blow by Artest, there is a good liklihood that Ron may foul him...I don't want to have to lose him early on in the game with the way Al has been playing on the road.

Artest on Wade means more playing time for Jon Bender.

Reggie has a hard time with Caron Butler; Bender has played Butler very well.

sweabs

Artest on Wade means more playing time for Jon Bender.

Reggie has a hard time with Caron Butler; Bender has played Butler very well.
    Then we are going to need Bender to actually show up in Miami - which I have yet to see. ed: .

NewYawk

What's to discuss? Artest on anybody means anybody is NOT GOING TO SCORE, be they LA's Punk Bryant, Orlando's Stacy MacGreedy, or Fat Albert's mom.

Ron Artest is the best defender in the league, and may be the best defender this league has seen since Scottie Pippen, period. The man can literally make the opponent's best player disappear.

I have to admit at being surprised by the stats because I thought Wade was getting around Ron pretty well - just not hitting shots.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

What's to discuss? Artest on anybody means anybody is NOT GOING TO SCORE, be they LA's Punk Bryant, Orlando's Stacy MacGreedy, or Fat Albert's mom.

Ron Artest is the best defender in the league, and may be the best defender this league has seen since Scottie Pippen, period. The man can literally make the opponent's best player disappear.

I hope Pop is reading this...Oh wait, of course he is. HE'S AT HOME!!!

Artest on Wade is OK short-term - but it'll blow up if they go with that for any extended period. Wade's too quick for him and that leaves Reggie on Caron. Plus SVG knows how to0 run an offense to take advantage.

I wouldn't do it for more than a couple of possessions here and there - and when Ron and Al are on the floor together.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

We probably won't put Ron on Wade until Reggie sits down, and either Al or JB comes in to guard Butler.

I want whomever is on him to let him have the 20-foot + jumper all day, until he makes about 3 in a row.

He is usually very reluctant to take perimeter shots, and is streaky from the outside. (30% shooter on 3's, only 53 attempts in the regular season) I'd take my chances with seriously backing way off on him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NewYawk

Hehehehehe.

Good one.

Graywolf_59

I agree--I sure hope Pop is seeing this!

Graywolf_59

The General and his Floor General! How about another Game 5 preformance!

Graywolf_59

How about another Miller Road show!

Artest will not be on Wade the whole game.

I am with those of you who want Artest on Wade during certain situations.

Last thing we need is to have Wade/Butler/Odom/Alston/*Insert Miami Bench Scrub Here* all lighting us up

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last thing we need is to have Wade/Butler/Odom/Alston/*Insert Miami Bench Scrub Here* all lighting us up
    I find it interesting that you've (intentionally?) left out Eddie and Brian from your roster of players. Those are the guys that scare me in Game #6. They may be overpaid but they've both got some real playoff experience under thier belts.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I find it interesting that you've (intentionally?) left out Eddie and Brian from your roster of players. Those are the guys that scare me in Game #6. They may be overpaid but they've both got some real playoff experience under thier belts.
    do they scare you now?

isn't it funny though, even the DPOY couldn't stop Wade...and that was some good D by Ron....Wade looked like MJ