Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Artest

Banned

Default Ron Artest

So it's been over a year now. In hindsight, do you think the Ron Artest trade was the right move?

I kind of wish we would've kept him. He hasn't had any major explosions in Sacramento so far. Sure, the team had behind the scenes issues, but at the end of the day we were winners. This team isn't exactly peaches and cream, and we're mediocre.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ron Artest

Um, did we have a choice? We kept him here until he demanded to be traded. I dont know what else we could have done

"Yes!"

Ron had to go. It was one of those situations where no matter what you did to help the guy realize how his actions were hurting himself and the team, you simply enabled him by "carrying" him (keeping in on the roster) after every incident. It would have been one thing had he just kept his mouth shut and talked w/DW immediately after the first time he went public w/his trade demand. It was something completely different once he kept talking to the media knowing full well DW had just went public himself basically saying, "Come to my office, Ron-Ron and let's talk about this...maybe we can work something out." Be he didn't. Moreover, he only recanted his demand AFTER realizing he put his foot in his mouth.

So, YES, it was time for him to go.

Now, if you're asking do I miss in lockdown defense and his 18-20 ppg, the answer is, "Hells, yes!" But I don't miss that pscho-drama, clear out of left field temper of his.

Banned

Yeah, but I think it's safe to say Ron is bi-polar. Didn't, towards the end, he end up not wanting to be traded after all? Or was that just something he said to make himself look better once it had already been decided that he was gonna be moved?

He said he didn't want to be traded after all when he realized we were really going to go through with trading him. Once he had already gone public and embarrassed this franchise for the last time, we had to make the move. Nobody on the team trusted him anymore. I miss his talent, but it was unquestionably the right move. I'm sure any other GM in the NBA would have done the same thing.

sweabs

He has been having some weird absences as of late. I was watching one of their games against Philly (I believe) earlier on this week. Apparently it was a last minute decision that he wasn't going to play that game. John Salmons was set to start for him...then all of a sudden, he was in the starting lineup for that game at the last second.

You just never know.

Our team has no heart or soul right now.

Ron Artest is the Devil that came and ate our heart and soul. Then he left his lesser minion Stephen Jackson to finish us off.

I loved Ron Artest the player, but Artest the person is too f*^%d up too ever be a part of a winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So it's been over a year now. In hindsight, do you think the Ron Artest trade was the right move?

I kind of wish we would've kept him. He hasn't had any major explosions in Sacramento so far. Sure, the team had behind the scenes issues, but at the end of the day we were winners. This team isn't exactly peaches and cream, and we're mediocre.
    Wow, you have a SHORT memory. And Sacramento was TRYING to trade him.

He's not been a saint in Sacramento by any stretch.

Major explosions, no. But he's had a few minor problems and his latest missed games have fans out there preferring his absence. As we saw first hand, their offense tends to run better when he's not bogging it down with the ball in his hands.
    Go Pacers!
    Indy Cornrows

I loved to watch Ron, but he had to go.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I hated the trade.

Because it was FOR Peja instead of something more productive (and I felt this way at the time). I would have loved if they asked for Martin instead.

It was a chance to get a lower profile guy, but the Pacers went for homerun IMO and that was a mistake.

Banned

Hey yes it was the right move. Never has one player done so much damage to the Pacers as he did. It was also EXTREMELY interesting that he didn't play here against us. He didn't man-up. That tells me something.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The guy had to go and this is coming from someone who was a big Artest fan. The only thing you can really question is if the right trade was made in terms of what the P's got back. The way Peja missed those playoff games and then decided to walk, I feel like the Pacers got jobbed.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tick...

tick...

tick...

tick...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I hated the trade.

Because it was FOR Peja instead of something more productive (and I felt this way at the time). I would have loved if they asked for Martin instead.

It was a chance to get a lower profile guy, but the Pacers went for homerun IMO and that was a mistake.
    I think you are making a huge mistake in assuming the Kings would have even considered giving up Martin in the deal for Artest.

Yep.

Like Seth, I wouldn't have minded going after Martin. He wasn't as untouchable then as he is now. Still, it was a good trade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yes, Martin would've been great. I love his style of play, Tins Martin Danger Murphy and JO would be at least better.

I thought it was cool high-fiving him after the Pacers fan jam, but now it meant nothing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Btw, Ron still owes me a jersey.

Sports Logo

I've been listening to the Sports 1140 in SacTown and they have been discussing one of the "issues" that Eric Mussellman has to deal with now with Artest where he would inform the team ( about ) 30 minutes before the start of the game that he would not play. I'm not sure how often he has done it....but it has come up enough for Grant Napier to comment on it.

I think that if most of us are asked whether we miss Artest's skills and what he is capable of doing on both ends of the court....we would probably answer "yes" to that question.

But if you ask the same about whether we miss the "personality" that Artest is on and off the court....the answer would be "no".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Btw, Ron still owes me a jersey.
    I think that's why he didn't show up in the Pacer game in Indy...cuz he didn't want to owe money to all the Pacer fans that wanted their money back on his Jersey.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

pwnt
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Doh!

A guy who you cannot rely on to avoid missing games due to incidents on and off the court is not a guy I want on one of my teams.

Dude can be a little flaky, nutty or whatever but when it crosses that line of hurting the team with missed games, it's not worth the trouble.