View Poll Results: Rick Carlisle: Stay or Go after the season?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm ready to see a new head coach.

    61 76.25%
  • I'd like to give Rick Carlisle more time.

    19 23.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52

Thread: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

  1. #26
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by panthro_1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta go Gotta go...People call him a "good" coach while the players that leave all do better and talk about his coaching style? If he was a Good coach why are we losing? why is he scared of his players? If he was a good coach why are we losing double digit leads at ends of games? Its obvious...

    While the players do better after they leave? Name me one player who has done better.

    So any good coach should never lose.

    Scared of his players - what is your evidence of that

    Teams lose leads all the time in the NBA. Although I don't recall the Pacers losing a double digit lead in the last 4 minutes of a game. Let me know of the games that you speak of.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I'm certainly not a basketball genius but even I can see this isn't working. I voted its time for Rick to go.

  3. #28
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm certainly not a basketball genius but even I can see this isn't working. I voted its time for Rick to go.
    Obviously this isn't working, but I'm reserving judgment on whether Rick should be brought back until the season is over. My major problem is that some of the reasons to fire Rick are laughable.

  4. #29
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,837

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    There are some valid points in RC's defense that have been suggested in this thread. I tend to think the bad outweighs the good and he should go.

    However, because I also strongly believe in the idea that the assemblage of talent doesn't mesh nor is the level of talent sufficient enough to compete, I also thing the personnel needs to continue the makeover. I'd also welcome
    change at the top, too. I just feel it's time for a new direction.

    Oh yeah, say what you will but I definitely agree that RC does not relate well with players and certainly does not does model or provide energy, enthusiasm, motivation, or camraderie amongst his players.

  5. #30
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,190

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I don't think RC is nearly the biggest problem.

    We have been victims of poor management decisions that has ripped the talent out of this franchise. Not all of their decisions have been bad. The problem is, overall, their decisions have caused damage.

    BTW, the reason we are where we are is the fact Bird and/or RC did not give a whip about character. The saying was "we don't want any milk drinkers around here". Now, they don't have any talent either.

    Bird is the problem IMO and has dragged this team into the gutter.

  6. #31
    Member #31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    1. You look bad if your players look bad
    2. You look like showing no "effort" & no "intensity" when your players dont show no "effort" & no "intensity"
    3. A coach can say and draw up many plays, but it is the players who have to do it physically / mentally.
    4. A coach doesnt play basketball...
    5. IF YOU THINK THAT A NEW COACH CAN HELP THIS TEAM! WIN MORE GAMES THEN IM SORRY TO SAY YOU ALL HAVE TO GIVE IT A STRONGER THOUGHT!


    Look, a coach can do many substitutions and try different scenarios with different lineups and many will feel like its bad ... if that **** you off then think about this, why? Why is he doing it? Havent you figured out? Its simple i think, this team is just not good and they are trying to find an identity, a lineup with players that fit.... at the end a Coach will find out that its not about coaching... that its not his fault, that it has to do with players skills... and it takes 5! Rick Carlisle knows this, actually he knew this since the beginning and we Fans knew that nothing works to... but Rick is in a different situation, thats his job! He have to stay, he have to go thru with this every single day... and all we Fans can do is blame? Its not fair i think...

    PS: I would love to see a new coach with the Pacers, would LOVE to!! Just because of one thing.... to see the look on your faces when they start lose even more. I dont wish this, but since many Fans here think that its a damn coachs fault and are stubborn enough to not think of something else then yes... i would like to have a new coach, just to see how wrong you all was.

  7. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,734

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    We have Baston, Greene and Marshall who are great players
    Please tell me that you just got a bit carried away with that statement. Great players? Come on, now.

    Anyway, my opinion on all this is that I do not care for either Bird or Carlisle in their current roles. I have questions about Bird's decision making, and I just don't like the style of play that I have seen under Carlisle. I really hate seeing the coach calling so many plays from the bench.

    On the other hand, I hated seeing the coach put up with "mouthiness" aimed towards him from players (Jackson in particular). Did he really feel the need to have a new title, and an extension, before reacting properly to that behavior? Do you suppose that he might have actually felt he did not have enough organizational support (even from his buddy Bird) to feel comfortable in dealing with it sooner? I just don't know, but I hated seeing him put up with it.

    All of that said, I think it would take more problems (on and off the court) than what we have seen for Walsh or the Simons to pull the trigger on letting either of them go. In fact, I don't think it would be a case of "either/or", I think that both would have to stay, or both go.

    I do think that there is a greater chance of JO being traded, than Carlisle or Bird being gone. Even so, I don't think there is much of a chance he is traded.

    I really think that, if you don't like what you are seeing now, don't bother watching for a couple years, because I'm afraid it is going to be the same thing for at least a couple more years. I hate to say that, but that is my opinion.

  8. #33
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,982

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I have always liked Rick, but I must say that I also almost since the start have been worried about some of his "people"-skills. That's why after Mike Brown became the Cavaliers headcoach I was in favour of placing a head assistant next to Rick that does have those skills as one of his main qualities.

    That was why I also wasn't too happy with Rick's friend Kevin Oneill (sp?) becoming the new head assistant coach last year, because everyone knew he was even worse then Rick in dealing with players.

    I love the way Rick kept us competitive through his time here. That alone has earned him major credits in my book. He knows his tactical stuff very well, there's no debating that. I do also not doubt that we don't have the personnell to run the system that he, and JO, obviously prefer.

    Nonetheless, management has made it pretty clear that it wants this team to play at a quicker and more attractive pace. That's obviously not happenning and though we can play a little more quicker our team currently really seems more then almost any team in the league suited for a halfcourt game. I hope management realizes this too IF Rick does get canned.

    I have come to the conclusion that it's time to move on, even though I think Rick is a great head coach (and by what of I have heard has a really good character) it is pretty obvious some of the core parts of this team are just not buying into the roles he has for them. Not in the sense that they won't do what Rick is asking for them, but more in the sense that the enthousiasm and will to make that extra step is nowhere to be seen.

    I think he needs to either be fired or (and I prefer that) promoted somewhere in the Pacers organization.

    I want a new coach that's at the very least experienced, realizes that this is a team best suited to a halfcourt game (unless JO gets traded), knows how to approach/motivate his players (or FINALLY get a head assistant agains that knows how too), knows how to develop young players, can have the players play more then token defense again (that will be tough with Rick leaving) AND and this is very important and coincides with both the approach and motivational skills does not show favoritism.

    I think we need a lot more then just a new coach. A pick this draft is something else I think is essential to us getting back sooner rather then later aswell as playing our younger players more, yes, I know that means missing the play-offs, but since I have been saying we should be rebuilding without having to blow-up everything I don't mind missing this years play-off appearance at all, we wouldn't be more then a token representative anyway.
    Next thing we need to do in the summer is get a FREAKING CAPEABLE POINT GUARD! But, after management has decided to keep Rick or not. That's vital.

    I don't like to give up JO just yet though and the same counts for Danner, Shawne and Ike. It appears we might just have to do that to get a decent PG here though. IF that's the case... then maybe letting JO go is really the only alternative. We would need to get expirings too though if this is the only way to go, creating space for resigning Danny and Ike first, Shawne later.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  9. #34
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please tell me that you just got a bit carried away with that statement. Great players? Come on, now.
    in response to Baston, Greene and Marshall being described as GREAT players. Stuck in Europe for years, failed with a terrible TOR team. Cut by a terrible BOS team. Afterthought player in the DA/AJ trade, most Pacers fans expected him to be cut and some were made that he stayed over James White.

    Wow. No wonder fans want Rick gone, they think Baston is Dale Davis and Marshall is Byron Scott.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While the players do better after they leave? Name me one player who has done better.

    So any good coach should never lose.

    Scared of his players - what is your evidence of that

    Teams lose leads all the time in the NBA. Although I don't recall the Pacers losing a double digit lead in the last 4 minutes of a game. Let me know of the games that you speak of.
    Man, if you ever needed proof of irrational fans, this was it Buck. Here we've just had threads talking about how both AJ and Fred were huge flops with their new teams and were quickly traded, how Jack and Al are just the same in GS (which isn't all that bad IMO, but they didn't get better), how Croshere can't get off the bench in Dallas...

    And some gleans from that something about all of RC's players getting better elsewhere.

    Ron Artest has made how many AS teams? Been DPOY how many times? When exactly is Saras planning on showing up Rick in Golden State because I'm still waiting on that one.

    How many teams LED by Jerry Stackhouse won 50 games? I know in 96 with AI and Coleman (playing good ball still) Stack's Sixers won 22 games. With Grant Hill leading the strike team they were on pace for 47 and then they followed that with a 42 win season. Hill left, Stack became THE man (scoring near 30 ppg) and the Pistons won 32 games...oh yeah, that was WITH Ben Wallace on the team btw.

    So Rick shows up, they basically swap Joe Smith for Cliff Rob., Stack is still the #1 player on the team, and they win 50 games.

    Next year he joins WSH and is their leading scorer and only has Michael Jordan to help him (not the powerful Cliff Robinson) and they win 37 games.



    Okay, so it's not just the Pacers players. Guys play for Rick and have their BEST seasons or win more games than they can without him, even if their other team has better players to help them.


    Seriously, I want to hear the solid case that this roster

    Foster
    JO
    Ron
    Reggie
    Tins
    Al

    is worse than

    Foster
    JO
    Granger
    Dun
    Tins
    Murph

    Ron is/was a better defender than Danny, period. Reggie was a much better SG even then than Dun is now (equal on weak defense maybe). Al was a better defender then than Murph is now, and was more vesitile as the bench guy (despite not having the 3 ball then).



    And has anyone WATCHED JO this year? The dude is playing with the most energy, most grit, most hustle and most pure will to win of his entire career. If playing for Rick makes players give up and they are just waiting to play for a new coach to get better (again, we have no examples of that) then how do you explain JO playing at his current AS/DPOY level?

    Just a goof I suppose.

    Don't give me trade value either because trade value also equals value to his own team. Players going into FA will play higher, but guys wanting off a team usually dog it to make the team not want them around anymore.

    JO is playing a like a guy who wants to be what the Pacers build around.


    I'm sure players are sick of the current situation, but the game was 12-6 early on. Who cares? Well that's the portion where the STARTERS were running RICK'S PLAYS.

    The system works, but you need players than can produce too. They didn't lose the lead vs PHX at home just running only the starters, it was when RC had to dip into the bench farther due to Tins out and what the team has traded for/acquired.



    And one more thing about the roster...what exactly was Golden State doing while being led by Dun and Murph this year? It's not like there wasn't more talent there around them.

    Why do people expect players who were losing with another team to make their own team a winner? Sure if you grab a guy not being used/appreciated who hasn't contributed to the losing then I can see it, but guys who were losing games in the same role you are getting ready to put them into? How's that help?


    And I enjoy rooting for Dun and Murph. I just think that mgmt has been listening way too much to it's fanbase at this point.

    They put their foot down on Ron and shipped him out. Fans cheered, team got worse.

    They shook things up and tried to go up tempo. Fans cheered the end of slog ball, team got worse.

    They brought in fan fave Harrington. Team got worse.

    They put their foot down with Jack. Fans cheered, team got worse.

    And just maybe TPTB were worried about drafting Marcus for PG help because of his track record and WHAT THE FANS WOULD THINK. (I love the Shawne pick actually, but drafting a PG would have helped more right now)


    I'm not talking about my opinion of worse, I'm talking about W-L rate.

    Show me a move that didn't reflect the fans' desires at this point, or show me a fan choice that worked. Honestly the more TPTB run the team the way the fans want, the worse it gets.

    You'll get Rick gone like you want, and then you'll get lottery time, which you also want.

    I remember the days when the draft was the most exciting time of the Pacers season. It sucked. It's not fun like some of you think it will be.




    Wait, I'll give you 2 moves the fans didn't like all that much.
    Trading AC for Daniels
    (but AC is one of the good guys they said)

    and trading AJ for DA
    (AJ saved the day, they need to keep him and move Tins instead, DA can coach but he can't play at this point).



    For the record, as a fan I have liked some of the moves that didn't work out, so I'm not above taking some heat too. I'm just saying that sports fans shouldn't run a team because they are way too fickle and have no ability to persevere.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Rick Carlisle could be the best coach of his generation, but it wouldn't matter if the players are tuning him out.

    Quick count. How many of you think Rick will regain focus from his team?


    I'd have to say that Rick's teams perennially overachieve, but this year is completely different. Even with the talent downgrade, there's absolutely NO reason to have the current record, especially in this year's Eastern Conference.

    And what's worse? We've seen that they can win, with two or three separate winning streaks. But there's just too much inconsistency. And now the players aren't playing for him. They are clearly underachieving at this point, and I'm not sure that's arguable.

  11. #36
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    If Al came in off the bench for J.O. we could've been a better team, but all the egotistical players wanted to start

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I voted for giving Carlisle more time. I have always maintained that I would like Rick to have a Jerry Sloan like career in Indiana. Maybe that is a stretch but I like what he did in the last few years with what he had (talent, brawl, Ron Artest, Steven Jackson,etc). He is prepared for each game and is consistent which generally takes you a long way. I think as fans and also as a soceity we are too impatient and focus on what the team did not do than what the team did in the past few years. People skills be damned, I do not think Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown are big PR guys and they do a good job.

    Living here in motown, I always felt that this people skill thing with Rick was just started by Detroit media (Drew Sharp) under Piston management's (Tom Wilson) influence so that they could let him go without much public outcry. I would have loved to see Phil Jackson or Larry Brown or Red Aurebach coach that post brawl team.

    I feel most of our problems have started with Donnie changing his philosophy of trading, drafting and signing free agents to one of "loving talent and atheleticism" than a player's characcter, how a player would fit in and play within the team concept. He started that with Tinsley, Steven Jackson, Ron Artest, Jalen Rose, David Harrison and bringing back Al the second time around.

    My all-time favourite starting line up of the Pacers was Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, Derek Mckey, Dale Davis and Rik Smits - all of them were character guys who played like a team. That is what this team lacks - maybe up until the trade.

    With the players that we currently have, I think we can play team ball again and will be good if we give it some time (Only Tinsley needs a shot of team concept in this current team). Out main problem during Rick's tenure has been having too many "me me" guys and not really Rick.

  13. #38
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    But Imawhat, look at the FG% of the guys this team has. When looking back at other bad shooters for the Jackson discussion (worst Pacers FG% was the debate) I was reminded of just how bad the FG% is across the board with this team.

    Tins and JO are both sub-par FG% guys. Okay, JO gets fouls and does so much other work that you don't care, but Tins doesn't fare well compared to Jax or Mike Williams as a scorer, even Best's modest AdjFG% was nicer, and Woody was a better defender.

    Foster is a poor FG% big, at least this year (he was a good FG% guy in recent years). He should be DD like and have a 55% going, but doesn't. The whole team is 45-46% guys.

    As a team right now they are ADJUSTED .474, 1.19 PPS
    Last year they were .487, 1.25
    04-05 .476 but 1.24 PPS (ie, they got to the FT line)
    03-04 .471, 1.19 PPS (but monster defense, opponents adj FG was .459)
    02-03 .469, 1.20 PPS (with a good Reggie, but under Isiah)

    Now the 2000 team
    .503, 1.25 PPS

    The fact is this team lacks strong FG shooting all around. So did the previous versions. The difference is that the team's defense has been made weaker and weaker through trades without fixing this shooting issue.

    If Dun and Murph were dropping shots and raising the FG% way up then the defense could be acceptable. But for FEB the team went .469 adjusted and 1.16 PPS...mostly AT HOME no less.

    I complained at the time of the trade about how it hurt the defense badly. A bunch of people ripped into me. But the FACT is that the team has a slightly lower W-L record since the trade than before, including a worse record at home.

    10-6 vs 8-6

    And that winning PCT at home vs teams based on Win% (as of now)
    Before trade
    +500 3-2
    +450 5-4 (2-2)
    +400 7-5 (2-1)
    10-6 overall so 3-1 vs teams below .400

    Since the trade
    +500 3-1
    +450 5-2 (2-1)
    +400 5-5 (0-3)
    8-6 overall which leaves 3-1 vs sub-400 teams

    In the shorter time since the trade the team has already as many games at home vs "non-playoff teams" aka teams sub-450 as they did in the 2.5 months prior.

    It's nice that they got the home wins over LAL, TOR and CHI, but 3-4 vs non-playoff contenders? The old team beat DET and HOU in Conseco, 2 teams over .600 right now and took care of biz against the weaker teams at home.

    Sorry, my finger remains pointed more at the trade than anything. I think if you put 5-2 vs sub-450 teams at home into this last homestand that you have the team with a 32-25 record right now and tied with the Wizards.

    I know they sure as heck wouldn't have lost to GS.

  14. #39

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    My only point with the stat is that our bench is still outperforming other teams, even though scoring is down.


    I agree with what you say.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact is this team lacks strong FG shooting all around. So did the previous versions. The difference is that the team's defense has been made weaker and weaker through trades without fixing this shooting issue.
    Do you think the defense is worse now with Dunleavy and Murphy? IMO it is about the same. Murphy doesn't want to mix it up any more than Harrington. I don't know why Murphy is camped at the 3 point line any more than I knew why Harrington was there. Is this RCs doing? While I don't want Murphy getting his nose busted again I would like to see him fight for rebounds more. I would like to see Dunleavy take jump shots closer to the basket. I like the way he goes to the basket and believe he needs to do that more. He is a big guy and can shoot over people. I think that you are correct that this team is poor at shooting the ball and that had me worried going into the season without a Reggie or Peja who could nail big shots. I just think they have to stop playing long ball. Lat night I thought that the suns could be down by 30 points and still beat the pacers. How Philly did it I am not sure but they did it with more energy than the Pacers show.

  16. #41
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,982

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I didn't hear many people echo my sentiment at the start of the season for a veteran shooting specialist in the backcourt.

    Most people were throwing up standard lines of "live by the three, die by the three"-crap. Like I wanted that new player to throw up 6-10 3PT'ers a game or wanted to base or offense on 3-point attempts, ridiculous. That's not what I wanted at all.

    If you want to spread the floor you need a credible threat with range to take atleast a few good longrange shots a game, because if that player won't take them, someone else in the backcourt will and would be getting that assignment, meaning a lower 3PT% shooter taking those shots.

    Ah well...

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  17. #42
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,570

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    The only option that I think that we have IF TPTB decide ( in the offseason )to keep JONeal ( assuming he doesn't opt out ) instead of trying to package him with Tinsley to get a new Starting PG ( and essentially blow it all up ) is to move Carlisle up to the Front Office and get a new coach to see if he can do something to improve/develop the existing core of players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    This Pacers team can't shoot and that is their problem.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  19. #44
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,190

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This Pacers team can't shoot and that is their problem.
    No, that is a symptom of the problem. You don't get to this stage without bad management. That symptom would not exist if we had good management.

    BTW, it will get worse not better based on Bird's track record.

  20. #45

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Here's the irony of the situation.

    The Pacers rank last in the NBA in Field Goal Percentage.

    Pacers Defensive Coach: Chuck Person.




    Btw, our guys are getting better looks than pre-trade (except Jermaine), but your numbers get that low when one of your leading shot-takers is tied for 331st in the NBA in FG%.

  21. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    I voted to keep Rick Carlisle. Why?

    Because I want the Pacers to develop into a contender.

  22. #47
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Is keeping Rick until the end of the season considered giving him more time?

  23. #48
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is keeping Rick until the end of the season considered giving him more time?
    To some on here, I'd guess letting him finish out tonight's game would be too much time. Personally, I don't know what to say because one part of me tells me that Carlisle is a decent/good coach with some perceived weaknesses in player development and people/ego management, but the other part tells me that I'm tired of watching him call play after play not caring about the success he has had in the past with it.

    Honestly, I'm ready for a new direction on the sideline, but it isn't for the reasons of pointing the finger at Carlisle for the last year or 3, but more for the way I see his coaching style. Anyway, if we are going to be rebuilding, which looks pretty close to unavoidable, I'd want a coach better at developing young players then the current staff.

    I'm almost to the point of, If Carlisle is to stay, then it is time to see what we can cash in J.O. for....No Picks or other potential BS. Replace a strength with another veteran strength. To all you freakin out about draft picks, remember Jonathan Bender was a 5th pick, Dunleavy was a 3rd pick and do I have to say anything about Kwame or Olowakandi? Draft picks are a crap shoot at best. Phoenix & Dallas did rebuild rather quickly, but they seem like exceptions rather then the rule (ie. Boston, Atl, Orl, Det, Golden St.).
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fishers, IN
    Posts
    436

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    Well, I voted for a new coach. In the very least, the players (especially those getting no PT at this point) might recognize that they actually have a chance to play on emotion rather than the robot-like atmosphere currently in place. And those who've given no defensive effort (whatever the reason) would either be benched or actually get motivated.
    One of the constants I'm reading here is that the Pacers' top brass made the moves with the fans in mind. While that maybe true due to the dire circumstances we were in post-brawl, there is no doubt in my mind that RC went along with the trade and maybe more than we know. Remember, the guy has been able to coach retreads into front-liners his whole career, why wouldn't he believe he could get Murph and Dun to play D?
    Rick should be canned on his okaying of that trade alone, if he gave the thumbs up.
    I wondered at the time of the trade why it didn't get more national buzz: I'm seeing from the results that it was just a bunch of average to below average guys switching teams.

  25. #50
    Member denyfizle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nap Town
    Posts
    1,409
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

    RC was lucky to inherit a very good team when he moved here. He had great assistants on his staff too so that really helped. And Reggie was always there to keep all the other players in check. But even back then, I was really so distressed with his style of coaching especially during the waning minutes of the playoffs against the Pistons. He got a free pass the last two years because of the distractions and locker room chaos. (I still think he is 90% to be blamed for this because he is the captain of the ship)

    Well for all the Larry Bird haters, Larry tried to cater to his guy. Gave him a team he could work with. But the reality is, it's the coaching that sucks. No more Mike Brown to help out. No more Reggie Miller to hit the clutch baskets. The offensive guru's offense is more predictable than another Britney Spears meltdown. Worse, he can't get his team to want to play it nor allow his megalomaniacal ways to adjust or cater to his team's best interest. I like the fact that our management is always proactive in trying to improve. I never blamed Larry for having faith in a nut like Ron Artest, but if Carlisle stays, then maybe he really is to be blamed for all of this. Until then- and before we bring in more Troy Murphys and Mike Dunleavys- I just want to see this boring style of play and system out of Indianapolis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •