View Poll Results: Rick Carlisle: Stay or Go after the season?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm ready to see a new head coach.

61 76.25%
  • I'd like to give Rick Carlisle more time.

19 23.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

Default Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

Since some of us want him gone, and some of us don't. Let's take a poll, but also state your reasoning. We all know people in the Pacers organization read PD, so lets let them know how we feel about Carlisle.

Default Re: Pacers Fans: On Rick Carlisle

He relies too much on the Starters, and when they don't get nothing done, he still keeps them in the game. . .ANd when he puts the bench on and we get back in the game. . he does and puts the starters back in the game so we can lose!!! The Toronto game was the PRIME example of that. And explain why Dunceleavy was on the court for the whole 3rd quarter against the suns? He got nothing done, I don't care how much he gets paid, it's not your nite, GET OFF THE COURT AND LET SOMEONE ELSE have some profuctive minutes

I voted for a new coach. When I watch all of the better NBA teams, they appear to be having fun on the court. The look loose and prepared. They're ALL aggressive in whatever roles they play. They all play as one unit. Their lineups almost always make sense as do the substitutions. Carlisle seems to be following the same pattern that he had in Detroit -- which they seemed to see much much sooner than we did. Detroit (or Dumars) must have seen something that he didn't like in regards to the way Carlisle got along with or coached the players. I don't think it was just that Larry Brown became available.

For those reasons, I feel that we need a new coach in here that has experience (no rookie coaches) and knows how to motivate his team. One that can get the most out of his players. Someone that will be respected by the players and one that the players would enjoy playing for. Someone that lets the players play and not run around like robots.

I mean we bring athletic players in, and we don't even use them, then Donnie Walsh starts saying we should have won more games. . .Well Rick needs to play atleast 9 guys Max not 6 or 7, Jermaine is at a point where he desperately needs help, and Murphy ain't getting it done, Dunleavy ain't getting it done, it's basically up to Granger and Marquis. . .We have Baston, Greene and Marshall who are great players, but Carlisle is keepin them on the bench, and it's frustrating because half the time the starters aren't getting it done

Banned

I think it's time for a complete overhaul. I like Carisle, his teams have almost always overachieved which is a sure sign of a great coach, but I think he's flawed. His style isn't fun to watch, and from what I've read, isn't exactly fun to play for. His teams seem to have low morality. Thats a very bad thing. I think it's time we move on. Rick will have teams calling from the moment he's gone from the Pacers, so no need to worry about him personally.

I think the Simons need to clean out the Bird nest too. Bird is a HOF player, but an Isaiah Thomas-like GM.

My answer is neither. I don't want to see Rick coaching, but I can't possibly think of another (available) coach I'd like to have. And I CERTAINLY don't want to see them playing for Johnny Davis.

I don't know. If Rick wasn't so boneheaded and would stop rewarding players for bad play it'd be different. Guys are quitting because there's no incentive in their play anymore. Tinsley can let defenders blow by him all night, shoot 25%, and play most of the game. All this while our best perimeter defenders sits the bench every night.

Carlisle should have been gone a year ago.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Rick hes proven that he is a good coach when hes got the right pieces. Our current team just isn't jelling well. They lack the drive. I don't know if is the leadership or what but I just don't think its Rick's fault. sorry i just don't.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I have been saying that Rick Carlisle is not the right coach for this team for about 2 and a half years now.

I think we need a good shakeup, and that's something Rick isn't going to do.

I have been defending Rick for awhile and I still feel he hasn't been give a decent team for 3 years and the teams we have had overachieved.

However tonight I changed mind, and not just because we lost. Frankly I think the play-calling on every single play is getting old.

So I voted for a new coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

FINALLY, people are starting to see the light.

Welcome to the bandwagon, folks.

I should have added choices for allowing him to go to the front office. Though I don't think he should be coach anymore, I think he might have what it takes to be effective from the front office [since he is the Vice President of Basketball Operations after all]. I don't feel bad relieving him of his coaching duties because I know he won't be gone from the franchise, in fact I know he'd technically be promoted -- something I think he deserves because of his efforts in helping our injury and suspension riddled teams (not including this year) still remain competitive.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gotta go Gotta go...People call him a "good" coach while the players that leave all do better and talk about his coaching style? If he was a Good coach why are we losing? why is he scared of his players? If he was a good coach why are we losing double digit leads at ends of games? Its obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FINALLY, people are starting to see the light.

Welcome to the bandwagon, folks.
    Some of us saw the light 2 years ago. We just knew that nothing would change. Rick is a great coach but we need a new coach who can whip this team into shape...not to mention some new play calling. One of the reasons this team is so unpopular besides all the off the court distractions is the slow type of basketball we play. I don't normally mind a half court oriented game when we are winning, but we aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by panthro_1 View Post
    Gotta go Gotta go...People call him a "good" coach while the players that leave all do better and talk about his coaching style? If he was a Good coach why are we losing? why is he scared of his players? If he was a good coach why are we losing double digit leads at ends of games? Its obvious...
    I call him a great coach. Look at the last two seasons and ask yourself should those teams really have made the playoffs with all the crap that happened. I don't think so and thats why he has continually been talked about in the coach of the year votings. Everyone else around the league thinks he is a great coach except for the Pacers fans here. You don't know how good something is until you don't have it.

And what players are you talking about that got better? Ron, Jax, or Al? They all look about the same to me. Or are you talking about AJ, Croshere, Fred Jones etc. who all play like crap now yet looked like decent players under Carlisle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I call him a great coach. Look at the last two seasons and ask yourself should those teams really have made the playoffs with all the crap that happened. I don't think so and thats why he has continually been talked about in the coach of the year votings. Everyone else around the league thinks he is a great coach except for the Pacers fans here. You don't know how good something is until you don't have it.
    While you make some valid points, what I'm wondering is if -- as of now -- he's going to get us to the next level. I think with a new coach there's a period where the players listen to everything the coach says, does everything the coach asks them to, etc. and if that coach has a talented team, he's likely to succeed. I think that's what happened with Carlisle. His first year he got 61 wins out of his team. That was the year he probably had the perfect mix of players, but they just weren't mentally tough enough to go forward.

Then came the brawl, injuries, suspensions, trade requests, off court troubles, etc. and through all of that you still have the same coach. At the same time you continue to try to change the personnel. All while the outgoing players always seem to mention how much more fun they're having, and how much more freedom they have away from Carlisle's system. Then you have the fact that Carlisle only lasted for 2 very successful seasons in Detroit.

My point is, while the playoffs are nice, the ultimate goal here is a championship. Sure, Carlisle has had plenty of curve balls thrown his way, but this year is the exception. Sure, we've made a big trade, but we weren't exactly achieving anything before we made that deal either. You can change the players so many times, but at SOME point -- especially after even Larry Bird said in the offseason "Rick needs to work on holding his players accountable" -- I feel it's time to look at the coach.

Aren't you curious to know why after making the ECF in both of his years in Detroit, that he was fired in favor of Larry Brown? Sure, Larry Brown is a legendary coach, but that was quite risky for Dumars to do even though he succeeded. Usually you wait for ones performance to fall off before firing that person, right? There had to be more to the story.

The thing I question about Carlisle is how much of a motivator he is. The way we start games off at times shows me that the team isn't very motivated to go out and play the game. Why did it take us to bring in Darrell Armstrong as our motivator?

I guess I just feel that the time has come where Carlisle's words aren't working with the players anymore. It could be because some of the players don't want to hear them, and it could also be because Carlisle isn't as motivated to say them as much as he used to be. Maybe the brawl, suspensions, injuries, trade requests, and off-court troubles have taken their toll on Carlisle. You have to think, he must be saying every word he does while thinking "I wonder what the hell is going to happen next with this team" at the same time. Right now I think there just might not be enough coach-to-player chemistry. A coaching change is in need, but put Carlisle in the front office.

With the comments that Bird & Walsh made recently I think there will be some moves made over the summer to bring in a point guard that Rick will allow to run the team.

He does not have enough faith in Tinsley to allow him to call the plays. I think Tinsley will be replaced by a veteran that Carlise will feel can run the team.

If that is the case, Carlise stays on the sidelines.

Besides, Bird will be the man nest year & he still likes Carlise as a coach.

I really think Rick is a good coach and doubt we will find a better coach but from watching the team of late and listening to the core fans you might get your wish and TPTB believe Rick has lost this team and decides the only way to "save" this situation with a new coach....

I personally think the problem is not the coach... Dun's and Murphy have not provided enough consistant average support to off set the speradic big games from Al and Jack combined with the off again and on again Marq's this team suddenly is very very average at best and when Granger struggles has a hard time scoring. This causes JO to get frustrated which just increases the stress of the situation.

In response to some of Ricks complaints, yes the offense my be too predictable.. but I think this is the problem when you have limited offensive weapons.. some seem to think he "sticks" with starters doesn't pull them with bad play... Well if any one wathced the debacle of Marshall and Mcloud as our back court in a recent game then you can understand why Rick is relucatant to play any one but DA or Tin's... Does he pull Granger when Granger is reluctant to shoot and makes defensive mistakes... When Quins not playing who over Dun's.... normal rotation foster/Murphy and give Ike some minutes.. but Ike is really really TO prone. give williams major minutes.. he has started a number of games lately and not really shown enough yet to get critical major minutes though I think if this team continues to slide you will see him getting more minutes as well as Ike.

To me the main problem is most of the players on this team... less JO, Foster and may be Tin's... does not have confindence that they can compete with the best so when they struggle they do not have the confidence or belief that they can turn it around. That here we go again belief is something too easy to get into as player and FAN.
    You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? ..... You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.....
    Silly rabbit..... Trix are for kids.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ev_eezy you said a lotta what i said only BETTER! I think if he was such the "great" coach he would be able to "bobbie Knight" us to win games. In other words when he calls all these plays they would play out to wins not end of game losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    His teams seem to have low morality.
    I think you meant to say 'morale'.....

Hmmmm.... or maybe you meant what you said....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

He should have sent packing last year already...

My prediction is Carlisle stays, JO goes.

I thought last season should've been Rick's last as a Pacer coach. It was clear he'd lost the team and the team had lost the fans (or was losing them).

A couple of things happened though. #1 Rick got an extension AND a fancy title to go along with it. That told me that TPTB were backing the coach. #2 TPTB made some changes in the team (albeit they painted the barns rather than planting corn IMHO).

Also, the team opened the season with a different offensive philosophy. Was it Carlisle who gave up on it? No... it was JO.

I'd like to know what we'd do with a different coach and JO but myself and the whole Pacer nation know what we do with Rick Carlisle and JO because we see it every game and have for quite some time.

IMHO TPTB have already chosen Carlisle to remain so it'll be the other characters that will be getting new zip codes. There was no better time to let him go than last off season and instead he was extended AND given that shiny new title.

I still say JO has been as good as gone ever since the conclusion of game 8. He's played his *** off this year BUT he hasn't been a good soldier.

Altho... ....It's management that really should be gone. Get someone in here who isn't paralyzed by a fear of action or still seeing Indianapolis as it's 1970's version (Indy No Place). The Colts won a Super Bowl and they didn't do it by being conservative and playing the small market card at every turn.

Humpty Dumpty has been broken and all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    I voted for a new coach. When I watch all of the better NBA teams, they appear to be having fun on the court. The look loose and prepared. They're ALL aggressive in whatever roles they play. They all play as one unit. Their lineups almost always make sense as do the substitutions.

You obviously don't visits the message boards for other teams. Fans always complain about the coach - ALWAYS. Fans always compain about the substitutions pattern - ALWAYS.