Thread: A computer question

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A computer question

My old computer has been sitting around not being used since I got my latest one 2 years ago. The other day I plugged it in and tried to start it up because I want to see if there is anything I want to pull form it before I reformat the drive and give it to my church.

Well, I hooked it all up and pushed the power button and nothing happened. Dead as a door nail. The power supply was only about a year old when I stopped using it. Where would I start to get it going?

Default Re: A computer question

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My old computer has been sitting around not being used since I got my latest one 2 years ago. The other day I plugged it in and tried to start it up because I want to see if there is anything I want to pull form it before I reformat the drive and give it to my church.

Well, I hooked it all up and pushed the power button and nothing happened. Dead as a door nail. The power supply was only about a year old when I stopped using it. Where would I start to get it going?

Well, the main thing you might try is first making sure the power switch on the power supply is in the "on" position. It's a simple mistake, especially if you've been handling the unit a lot or it's been bumping into stuff for the last 2 years.

You could also try flipping the switch to "off", unplugging the cable at the power supply, plugging it back in, then switching it back to "on". I had one PS that was on it's last legs and would sometimes trip a circuit breaker or something and wouldn't work unless I did that.

Finally, you could try pulling the door off the CPU and making sure that the jumper cable from your power button is still plugged in.

If it's none of those, you'd probably need a new power supply to get it working.

Buy yourself a new external hard drive enclosure. Take out your hard drive and copy any necessary files to your new machine. Then give the whole busted thing to your church. Somebody skilled in IT will tear it apart and get it working.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Buy yourself a new external hard drive enclosure. Take out your hard drive and copy any necessary files to your new machine. Then give the whole busted thing to your church. Somebody skilled in IT will tear it apart and get it working.
    Can I do the same thing by opening up my working PC and hooking the old hd in as a slave and getting the stuff? A friend told me that is a way to do it, but I've never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Can I do the same thing by opening up my working PC and hooking the old hd in as a slave and getting the stuff? A friend told me that is a way to do it, but I've never done it before.
    If I follow you, you could do that. But why? Anthem's method is as easy, if not easier, and allows for flexibility (using the HD with a laptop or other HD for example).

The only benefit using it as your slave drive (or secondary master depending on your setup) is not having to buy the case. But the case is pretty cheap and is cheap insurance against having to open your current machine up to connect this drive (and potentially unplugging something else by accident or damaging something with a static electricity charge or physically breaking something in those tight quarters).

The beauty of Anthem's method is, for one example, let's say you have several video/DVD and picture files you'd like to share or show to someone. Instead of burning these off on disc after disc you could just take your HD in it's case and a USB cable to your friend's house, plug it into their USB port- and there's the files you wanted to show them. Accessible on their own computer. They can copy them if you want...etc... No fuss, no muss.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

What Bball said.

There's another thread about this around here, but basically you can get a good external enclosure for $20 on NewEgg. It's absolutely worth it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Thanks guys I'll check that out. At work we are going to be using video clips in our training classes and that may be the best way to store and transport them back and forth.