Thread: More memory is very good!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default More memory is very good!

I just upgraded to 1G from 256 tonight and I'm wondering why I waited so long! IE, Word, Real Player, and Google Earth all running at the samw time? Wow. Out of the stone ages!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: More memory is very good!

256 gigs?!?

What did that set ya back?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

No, 1 gig from 256mb.

How long were you down at 256mb Ken? That's been below minimum for a while now.

A few observations so you can tell how old I am, although I'm certain Geezer is older.

My PDA has the same RAM as the first mainframe computer I worked on.
    Not including the 1G SD card. With the card, my PDA has more storage than all the disk drives at the insurance company where I worked.

I once heard Bill Gates in person say, "At the time, we figured that 640k was all the memory anyone would ever need."

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    Ken Olsen, DEC, 1977
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    -Thomas Watson, IBM, 1943
    My wife and I now own 8 computers.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

yeh, i too was running at 256 mb until christmas. thats when i got an upgrade.
    now, my machine runs with 2.25 gigs and runs much faster than ever. it was totaly worth it and i'm so glad i went through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, 1 gig from 256mb.

How long were you down at 256mb Ken? That's been below minimum for a while now.
    For 2 years.

Mood

hell i'm only on 512. What would an extra 512 mb cost me?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I just jumped from 1GB to 2GB. I'm noticing some speed up with websites and apps loading faster, but because of Vista I'm not noticing much with gaming. They really need to get better drivers for graphics cards for this OS; it's caused a noticeable drop in what my graphics card can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    hell i'm only on 512. What would an extra 512 mb cost me?
    I bought 2 512's through Dell for $65 each. I was told I had to get Dell memory to optimize perfomance. I know crucial.com sells it a little cheaper, depending on the type.

If you have 2 256 moduels combining to get your 512, you may need to buy 2 512's to get to 1G. I went to crucial.com and ran the system scan and it told me what I had what the max amount of memory I could install, and in what form i needed to buy it. You don't have to buy through them, but it makes it easy to figure out.

Some of these more experienced guys may have better advice though.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I bought 2 512's through Dell for $65 each. I was told I had to get Dell memory to optimize perfomance. I know crucial.com sells it a little cheaper, depending on the type.

If you have 2 256 moduels combining to get your 512, you may need to buy 2 512's to get to 1G. I went to crucial.com and ran the system scan and it told me what I had what the max amount of memory I could install, and in what form i needed to buy it. You don't have to buy through them, but it makes it easy to figure out.

thanks. I'll check it out.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I bought 2 512's through Dell for $65 each. I was told I had to get Dell memory to optimize performance. I know crucial.com sells it a little cheaper, depending on the type.
    They lied to you. As long as it's the same type, Dell memory isn't inherently superior to anyone else. They just rebrand other people's products.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I bought 2 512's through Dell for $65 each. I was told I had to get Dell memory to optimize perfomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    They lied to you. As long as it's the same type, Dell memory isn't inherently superior to anyone else. They just rebrand other people's products.
    Anthem is 100% correct. Dell doesn't make memory, they buy in bulk. Most Dells I've owned or worked on has Infineon or Samsung Memory. I usually buy Corsair ValueSelect Memory, one of the best brands, but cheaper than their top of the line memory.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    The thing is, it wasn't dell that told me that, it was a guy at Best Buy. I figured that since they were not making any money off of it then why would he tell me that? Just as uninformed as i was i guess. Oh well. This is good news for my father in law though who want to upgrade the memory in his Dell. Where is the best place to get the cheaper stuff? Does that mean that Lexmark cartridges will actually work in my Dell printer? The ink store told me those wouldn't.

The thing is, it wasn't dell that told me that, it was a guy at Best Buy. I figured that since they were not making any money off of it then why would he tell me that? Just as uninformed as i was i guess. Oh well. This is good news for my father in law though who want to upgrade the memory in his Dell. Where is the best place to get the cheaper stuff? Does that mean that Lexmark cartridges will actually work in my Dell printer? The ink store told me those wouldn't.
    Your Dell printer probably isn't a rebranded Lexmark. Don't know about that one, though.

Despite the problems Shade had, I always recommend newegg.com. You'll find as good a deal there as anywhere.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does that mean that Lexmark cartridges will actually work in my Dell printer? The ink store told me those wouldn't.
    Lexmark ink cartridges will NOT work in Dell printers, even though they are made by Lexmark for Dell.

I buy most my PC stuff from NewEgg.com also. I buy printer ink cartridges from www.re-ink.com.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Thank you for starting this thread. Because of you I upgraded my computer to 1G and now have a good machine. It's fast and much more fun to work with. Graphics load almost instantly, pages almost pop up on their own.

I paid 50 bucks each for two 512's at my local store. He said they were going up 4 bucks soon. I really don't care because it is worth every penny. No more waiting for pages to load and the aggravation that came with that. Its great.

The store guy said it doesn't make the computer faster but it makes the programs work quicker. So it seems faster. I just know it is much quicker now and I'm happy.

PS: Lets put some of these chips into the Pacers and see what happens.

but why two 512, instead of one gb?

shouldnt one gb cost the same and save you the slot for future upgrade...

I bought 2 1gb sticks about a year and a half ago for ~$220 from Newegg.com

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    but why two 512, instead of one gb?

shouldnt one gb cost the same and save you the slot for future upgrade...
    Some computers have ways they utilize the RAM which is supposed to make the 2 better (faster) than one (of the same total size).

Whether that is a geek difference or a real world difference, I do not know.

From the outside looking in I'd rather have a slot open for even more ram down the road but that might be shooting myself in the foot. It's not an area I've really studied. My computers are all fast enough for what I'm currently asking of them so it's just not been an issue to research.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden