Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If in lottery..

Default If in lottery..

I know it's a stretch, but if we do end up dropping to the lottery... Acie Law is looking like a nice PG to take. He's can handle the ball, play d, pass, get to the lane, and he's clutch! A lot of the mocks have him going in the teens.

Most likely won't happen, but if we drop out the playoffs and end up late in the lottery....?????

Default Re: If in lottery..

We take the best player available, most likely not a point gaurd.

I know, I've just been watching the Texas/Texas A&M game, and he has been killing them

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i know the word if is used loosely but i just don't see us dropping to the draft lottery.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF we don't make the playoffs and then DON'T draft a point guard I will burn Larry's house down. (just kidding mr.policeman)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

If we get into the lottery and don't draft a great shooting guard prospect or fantastic point guard prospect I'd be ticked. The whole talent level on big guys is a significant dropoff really after about 5 or 6 considering names like Oden, Durant, Noah, Mcroberts, Young, Hansborough (If they enter the draft), are names that would probably go in the top 5 or 6. I had heard people mention acie law IV but haven't ever seen him till the game last night and espn flashed up a stat how he's averaging 10 assists per game and still scoring like a mad man which rick likes all of his point guards to do. That kid is basically everything we need can create his own shot and cut up defenses getting easy shots for the rest of his teammates, he can shoot the three, he showed last night he can be clutch, what more could you ask from your starting point guard. It would be nice to be in the lottery though cause that would all but guarantee us wrapping up either a good sg or pg.

Read this kid's Strength's and weaknesses and see if it reminds you of anyone who came from the same school.

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/arronafflalo.html

Discussing such things as "if we are in the lottery" makes about as much sense as "if we are in the NBA Finals". Neither are going to happen. And if by chance we don't make the playoffs the odds of the Pacers getting a top 10 pick and slim to none. So why waste our time. Unless you want me to start a bunch of threads about how we would match up in a 7 game series against the Mavs - then all these lottery threads I will avoid.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Discussing such things as "if we are in the lottery" makes about as much sense as "if we are in the NBA Finals". Neither are going to happen. And if by chance we don't make the playoffs the odds of the Pacers getting a top 10 pick and slim to none. So why waste our time. Unless you want me to start a bunch of threads about how we would match up in a 7 game series against the Mavs - then all these lottery threads I will avoid.
    Good suggestion. Please avoid these threads. I'd hate to suffer the embarassment that I would feel upon reading the matchups against the Mavs.

Banned

Well then, why even post in the thread to begin with? And you're "slim to none" comment was a slight exaggeration considering their remaining schedule and the relatively small gap between where they are now and the bottom 10 records in the league.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I agree. They won't get a top 10 pick IMO, but if they did you just can't skip Shawn Marion to take Luke Ridnour (for example).

Talent is the NBA's version of cash. If you are offered $100 in Euro's you don't skip it for $10 American just because you currently need US money. You take the Euro's and then get them exchanged. Even if you lose 50% of the value to do so, you still made an extra $40.

If talent is pretty close, then sure you go with need.

So yet another reason to not get too worked up about the draft. It doesn't look to really be a situation that will fix the Pacers main issues. Tons of talent at the 3 to 5, not a lot of game-changers in the backcourt to be had.

Well the Pacers don't play till Friday, and the Texas/Tex A&M game was a good, so I thought I would discuss the possibilities. It's not THAT far fetched, it's not like the Pacers are playing well, we've loss like 3 in a row in a pretty ugly fashion. While other teams are starting to get healthy, or are improving.

I hope this team can turn it on and start winning games, but falling into the lottery is that big of an "if'

Hey guys, just stopping by to tell you I'm not here...........

If you posted in every thread that was a pointless discussion, you would be on here 24/7.

Mood

Even if you guys do lose enough to have one of the 10 worst records in the league, its still up to the ping pong balls if you have a top 10 pick.

Wouldn't it suck if you finished with the 10th worst record in the league and then got the 11th pick?

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I was at the Texas-A&M game (i'm a student at texas, thank god we won that thing), and that kid law is the TRUTH. He was the best player that night.... he just turns it on and off - he scored something like 6 points the first half and as soon as it was starting to look like a blowout the beginning of the second half, he just straight up TOOK OVER. I was scared every time he touched the ball. I think he'll be great in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    Even if you guys do lose enough to have one of the 10 worst records in the league, its still up to the ping pong balls if you have a top 10 pick.

Wouldn't it suck if you finished with the 10th worst record in the league and then got the 11th pick?

Can't happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

mto, I watched quite a bit of the Wizards vs Heat game last night and you have enough to worry about with your team - mainly you need Butler and Jamison back asap

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    actually it can. If the Ps get the 10th pick, then one of the 11-14th teams gets the number 1, that will drop the Ps out of the top ten and BOOM no pick.

mto, I watched quite a bit of the Wizards vs Heat game last night and you have enough to worry about with your team - mainly you need Butler and Jamison back asap
    You're tellin me. Caron is supposed to be back the next game tho (he only has back spasms at other Wiz fans) and Blatche has been doin alright. We'll survive with Caron back but i just want Jamison healthy for the playoffs.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

When you set the bar at 'mediocre' anything is possible. Especially when you don't have to be very good to make the playoffs in the first place. You could just as easily overachieve and actually take someone to the wire as dissolve and fall out of the playoffs entirely.

It's hard to imagine we'd be bad enough to catch the 8-10 spot in worst teams but it's hard to imagine what magic Carlisle has left to get this group back on track if he keeps losing them. And we're dangerously close to that scenario with this road trip looming. Then again, it could go the other way and these guys pull together.

I'd say these next few games will be really important in what the rest of the season will bring. Winning them or losing them will be one thing, but HOW they win or lose will be equally important. It's not just a bump in the road now, it's a potential coach losing the players scenario. If we can't at least be competitive then IMHO it could be trouble and suddenly this thread will make a lot more sense.

But it's too early to say right now.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Help me here....which section indicates that if a team has the 10th worst record in the league that we cannot end up with a 11th or greater lottery pick?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    actually it can. If the Ps get the 10th pick, then one of the 11-14th teams gets the number 1, that will drop the Ps out of the top ten and BOOM no pick.
    The odds of that happening are about the same as the Wizards learning how to play defense. The Pacers at #10 would have a better chance of moving into the top-3 then any of the teams behind them and BOOM, we've got the most dominant front court in the league, by a mile (Granger - JO - Oden, WOW!)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    The odds of that happening are about the same as the Wizards learning how to play defense. The Pacers at #10 would have a better chance of moving into the top-3 then any of the teams behind them and BOOM, we've got the most dominant front court in the league, by a mile (Granger - JO - Oden, WOW!)
    Wow, somebody hasn't been watching us lately. We play about the best off ball D/passing lane D i've seen this year. We just need a shotblocker?

Wanna lend us JO after the first round? You won't be needing him.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Law plays with ice water in his veins. He is only average athletically and you know how the NBA drafts goes. Teams will be drooling over athleticism. So there is a good chance that Law may not go in the lottery depending on how many underclassmen declare. If Marcus williams can slide so can Law. If the Pacers can get him with a pick between 15 and 20, he'd be a great pickup, IMO.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sig View Post
    Law plays with ice water in his veins. He is only average athletically and you know how the NBA drafts goes. Teams will be drooling over athleticism. So there is a good chance that Law may not go in the lottery depending on how many underclassmen declare. If Marcus williams can slide so can Law. If the Pacers can get him with a pick between 15 and 20, he'd be a great pickup, IMO.
    Marcus Williams was out of shape and had allegations of computer theft. Acie Law is clean as far as I know.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Because of the lack of good pg's in this draft somebody is going to take him very early.There is no chance he's going to slip past 11 or 12 and if he has a good tournament he'll be a high lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Help me here....which section indicates that if a team has the 10th worst record in the league that we cannot end up with a 11th or greater lottery pick?

Actually, Wizards dude is correct. There is a senario where a team slotted 11-14 gets lucky and gets a top three draft pick, sliding the Pacers down to 11. But the chances of that are pretty slim.

In case you missed it, only the top three slots are chosen by lottery, but the bottom 14 teams are all in it. Here is the chart of ping pong balls per slot:
    1. 250 combinations, 25% chance of receiving the #1 pick
    2. 199 combinations, 19.9% chance
    3. 156 combinations, 15.6% chance
    4. 119 combinations, 11.9% chance
    5. 88 combinations, 8.8% chance
    6. 63 combinations, 6.3% chance
    7. 43 combinations, 4.3% chance
    8. 28 combinations, 2.8% chance
    9. 17 combinations, 1.7% chance
    10. 11 combinations, 1.1% chance
    11. 8 combinations, 0.8% chance
    12. 7 combinations, 0.7% chance