Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

  1. #1
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,128

    Default There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    "Fire the coach"

    I'm not predicting it or suggesting it but if fan apathy continues to grow and ticket sales lag... and the media grows more negative.... hmmmm

    Also, IMHO making the playoffs is Donnie's #1 goal no matter what. Always.

    What happens if the lackluster effort of the past couple of nights becomes the constant and the making the playoffs begins to look bleak? That's what got me wondering: What avenues does the front office have left to try if the playoffs start falling out of reach?

    And this season there seems to be two factors at play:
    Making the playoffs
    Putting butts in the seats

    I wonder if the coaching seat is a hotseat afterall?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,771

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    If they decided that firing the coach would increase ticket sales - then they'll do that during the offseason. There is no use bringing in a new coach now (Johnny Davis won't sell one ticket) having him struggle with this team and then over the summer the newness and freshness of a new coach will have already worn off. So to maximize ticket sales, fire coach in summer and hire a big name. Larry Brown would sell tickets. Are there any other available coaches who will see tickets???

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    isn't Rick Adelman available? He might actually be able to take the team in "up tempo" pace that they were supposedly doing this year. I though originally that his name was brought up last summer before Carlisle got his extension. Which would look like the Pacers made another mistake ending him if he were to be fired.
    "and I say a monkey CAN mow our lawn!!!"

  4. #4
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Replacing Rick with Bird would sell tickets. God knows that was the only reason Bird was hired in the first place as either coach or President.

    As I said last season, Rick should be fired and replaced with Bird for the remainder of the season.

    We can only hope that JVG becomes available sometime soon. I don't want a "partial upgrade" at the coaching spot. I want to get JVG or something similar.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #5
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they decided that firing the coach would increase ticket sales - then they'll do that during the offseason. There is no use bringing in a new coach now (Johnny Davis won't sell one ticket) having him struggle with this team and then over the summer the newness and freshness of a new coach will have already worn off. So to maximize ticket sales, fire coach in summer and hire a big name. Larry Brown would sell tickets. Are there any other available coaches who will see tickets???
    Maybe the other Larry that used top be a Pacer coach could decide to take the Pat Riley route?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. #6
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by countarfit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    isn't Rick Adelman available? He might actually be able to take the team in "up tempo" pace that they were supposedly doing this year. I though originally that his name was brought up last summer before Carlisle got his extension. Which would look like the Pacers made another mistake ending him if he were to be fired.
    The team we've got - post-trade - is clearly not suited for running/ up tempo.

    They need to be allowed to pursue "easy" baskets earlier in the shotclock but JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Granger, etc. are all best-suited for the a halfcourt game anyway.

    We don't need to play slog-ball, which is what Rick seems to think "half-court" means if he doesn't have Reggie, but they need to play with structure.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #7
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Replacing Rick with Bird would sell tickets. God knows that was the only reason Bird was hired in the first place as either coach or President.

    As I said last season, Rick should be fired and replaced with Bird for the remainder of the season.

    We can only hope that JVG becomes available sometime soon. I don't want a "partial upgrade" at the coaching spot. I want to get JVG or something similar.
    Interesting that you say that - maybe we should blend threads:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=29987
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  8. #8
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    On the subject of firing the coach:

    Common sense tells us that when your players are not performing to potential, it is always the coach's fault.

    I've been a huge supporter of RC, but even I would be OK with letting him go as long as he is replaced with someone better.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,771

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    I think the Pacers have been running quite a bit - Don't laugh, they really have in the past 4 or 5 games they have. But as I've been saying for a long time. Running or not running IMO solves nothing. And I could make a strong argument that the running has costs the Pacers a few games recently.


    As far as firing Rick. If I were in charge, I certainly would want to know what he has in store to improve our defense. And any new coach that I hired would be a defensive coach first, second, third and 4th.

  10. #10
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    *sorry about the triple post*

    I can't remember: How many years does RC have left on his extended contract? Isn't it this year plus next year?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  11. #11
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Replacing Rick with Bird would sell tickets. God knows that was the only reason Bird was hired in the first place as either coach or President.

    As I said last season, Rick should be fired and replaced with Bird for the remainder of the season.

    We can only hope that JVG becomes available sometime soon. I don't want a "partial upgrade" at the coaching spot. I want to get JVG or something similar.
    Sounds good to me, so tired of RC's style of play.

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,771

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds good to me, so tired of RC's style of play.


    If you mean the poor defense - then I agree completely - if you mean the offense - then I disagree completely.

  13. #13
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they decided that firing the coach would increase ticket sales - then they'll do that during the offseason. There is no use bringing in a new coach now (Johnny Davis won't sell one ticket) having him struggle with this team and then over the summer the newness and freshness of a new coach will have already worn off. So to maximize ticket sales, fire coach in summer and hire a big name. Larry Brown would sell tickets. Are there any other available coaches who will see tickets???
    If Larry Brown was hired, then I'd refuse to buy a ticket to another game until he left.

  14. #14
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *sorry about the triple post*

    I can't remember: How many years does RC have left on his extended contract? Isn't it this year plus next year?
    Any reason could be made for him to leave......SVG came up with one when Riley had the itchin to coach Shaq and Wade to an NBA championship.....TPTB can easily make up a reason.

    My bet is either on "Rick has decided to spend more time with his family after going through 3 difficult drama-riddled season" or "Rick decided that it would be better to affect the course of the team by moving up to his made-up VP office".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  15. #15
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *sorry about the triple post*

    I can't remember: How many years does RC have left on his extended contract? Isn't it this year plus next year?
    Extension or no extension....any reason could be made for him to leave......SVG came up with one when Riley had the itchin to coach Shaq and Wade to an NBA championship.....TPTB can easily make up a reason.

    My bet is either on "Rick has decided to spend more time with his family after going through 3 difficult drama-riddled season" or "Rick decided that it would be better to affect the course of the team by moving up to his made-up VP office".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #16
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Double post and still didn't answer the question. You fail CableKC

  17. #17
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Hmm ..Does everyone remember this before the season started.

    Carlisle Gets New Title With Extension

    By Conrad Brunner | Oct.5, 2006

    In signing what was termed a "multi-year" contract extension in the team's official announcement today, Coach Rick Carlisle didn't just stabilize his footing for the present. He may have laid the groundwork for his professional future.

    As part of the agreement, Carlisle was given the title Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.

    "That's something they certainly didn't have to do but part of the agreement is to, at some point, join the front office if I want to do that," Carlisle said. "That's a very unusual gesture to make and me and my family are very appreciative of it."
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/digest_061005.html

    I know shortly thereafter Bruno said the release was premature ,but did not dispute the fact. Couldn't he just "transition into a front office role ?

    Why Not Us ?


  18. #18
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    I hope that transition happens at the end of the season. I think he might actually do a good job in the front office and might be better suited for that position vs. coaching.

  19. #19

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    I just want to see a coach that will crack the whip on these guys. If Carlisle could magically summon the power to do that, I'd be fine with him staying.

  20. #20
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Bird is not going to fire his boy no matter how much we ask for it. He keeps thinking the players are the only problem, the BIGGEST problem on this team is that about 50 games into the season the players just stop paying attention to Rick Carlisle.

  21. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    I've been critical of Rick in the past, but I do think the players share a bigger burden than Rick on this one. They don't look like guys that want to be coached better.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #22
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just want to see a coach that will crack the whip on these guys. If Carlisle could magically grow a pair to do that, I'd be fine with him staying.
    Fixed.

    I kiddddddd......I kidddd......
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. #23
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,254

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are there any other available coaches who will see tickets???
    Ok, I should not say this.

    Bob Knight would sell A LOT of tickets.

  24. #24
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    I can't believe everyone is turning on Carlisle now, even UB.

    The guy hasn't been given a decent team to coach for 3 years, what do you expect him to do with these players. Making the playoffs and being eliminated in the 1st or 2nd is about as much as you can expect from this roster and no coach could make them contenders.

    And I don't think any coach would have a dramatic effect on ticket sales. Its not like bringing in some superstart player; the average non-obssevie fan is not going to be impressed by a new coach unless they start winning a lot.

  25. #25
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: There can't be any more trades now BUT we could...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope that transition happens at the end of the season. I think he might actually do a good job in the front office and might be better suited for that position vs. coaching.
    Nah...

    When he eventually realizes he doesn't have the people/ relational/ managerial skills to be the head coach, he'll make an absolutely terrific "#1 assistant" someday.

    Until then, he'll be a maddening underachiever as a HC - you know the brains and work ethic are there, but the players just can't stand him.

    I don't think the players even despise the offense/ system as much as we think they do.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •