Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinsley Is The Worst Point Guard

Default Tinsley Is The Worst Point Guard

I would trade any other starting point guard in the entire NBA for him.
    He sulks, he doesn't play hard & he throws the most idiotic passes in the league. Ric Bucher has been saying for the last 5 years that he won't really take the Pacers seriously until they upgrade at point. I agree 10 fold 150%.
    I can't stand his game anymore. He always gets hurt, he has been involved in every negative situation we have had except for the Artest rap cd. I thought that if he stayed healthy maybe he would return to his level of his first 3 or so seasons. He has obviously lost more than a step & he is a bad apple, period.
    He hurts the Indiana Pacers on & off the court. I watched the 1 to 1's on Pacers.com. Bird & Walsh were saying if they cut him another team would snatch him up & he would come back to beat his old team.
    Give me an Fn' break!! Nobody would even pick him up & he is more deadly on our team right now than he would be on any team in the East.

1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Default Re: Tinsley Is The Worst Point Guard

And yes you can check the archives.
    I begged for him to be shipped out this off-season.
    I wanted him moved more than any Pacer I have ever watched in my entire life.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Banned

I think point guard is our only really weak position.

Quis is a developed 3 point shot away from being an All-Star, and even now he I guarantee you he could get us 16/6/4 with good D as a starter...

Granger is blossoming, he still has some flaws but he's intelligent and hardworking and will improve....

JO is a perennial All-Star

Murphy is an above average big man, sure his D isn't good but he brings rebounding and scoring.

Our bench is nice. Foster, Dunleavy, Armstrong with 2 really interesting young players...

And then there's Jamaal Tinsley. So many flaws. Atrocious defense, poor decision making leading to bad turnovers, terrible shooting, etc.

If we could somehow upgrade our point guard position, I think we could become a 50 win team next season. Easier said than done.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unfortunately we don't have a legit backup PG. Our 38 year old supposedly calm and cool PG went 3/11 tonight and got a T in 11 less minutes than Tinsley.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I disagree. I didn't have a problem with Tinsley's point guard play today, although he played pretty poorly at shooting guard. He's better than quite a few starting points in the NBA, and has the capacity to be a game-changing player.

But we still need an upgrade.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really like Shawn Williams and all but, we REALLY REALLY should have drafted a PG
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really like Shawn Williams and all but, we REALLY REALLY should have drafted a PG
    Ok you draft Marcus Williams instead and you have a pg who still can't defend and has some character issues.I don't think hes a bad kid, he just made a very stupid mistake and cost him self alot of money.Walsh and Bird couldn't draft somebody like that considering what they just went through with Artest.Who else do you want Rondo?I like him but he has no where near the upside of a guy like Shawn Williams.If we had drafted Rondo instead a couple of years from now we all would " man we could have had Williams" just like were kicking ourselves for picking Bender over Marion, Terry,Miller ect.

Im going to try to go easy on Tinsley; try to rationalize my frustration with him.

I think we expect way too much from him (along with a lot of other players). He is just not the same player he was back before his three straight injury-ridden seasons. You have to remember he has missed 112 out of 246 games the last 3 seasons. That is a lot of injuries. Granted a lot of those were due to crap like sinusitis but still, that is a lot of games to miss. And it has obviously affected the player he has become.

His biggest problem is his defense. Other guards blow by him like the wind. In the past this was mitigated by his quick hands and players we had around him. But we are not the defensive team we used to be and we can no longer make up for Tinsley's defensive liability.

At this point in his career I think Tinsley would be better suited as a backup PG, maybe a sixth man type player, or maybe starting along side a star-calibre 2 guard. But our current set-up is not going to win us a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Im going to try to go easy on Tinsley; try to rationalize my frustration with him.

I think we expect way too much from him (along with a lot of other players). He is just not the same player he was back before his three straight injury-ridden seasons. You have to remember he has missed 112 out of 246 games the last 3 seasons. That is a lot of injuries. Granted a lot of those were due to crap like sinusitis but still, that is a lot of games to miss. And it has obviously affected the player he has become.

His biggest problem is his defense. Other guards blow by him like the wind. In the past this was mitigated by his quick hands and players we had around him. But we are not the defensive team we used to be and we can no longer make up for Tinsley's defensive liability.

At this point in his career I think Tinsley would be better suited as a backup PG, maybe a sixth man type player, or maybe starting along side a star-calibre 2 guard. But our current set-up is not going to win us a championship.

I pretty much agree with this. I think he had an alright game tonight. But the bad thing is, an "alright" game for him is 37.5% from the field with 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 turnovers.

We don't have anyone decent enough to back him up, so I'd be fine with dismissing the notion of having a point guard. Put in MD when he gets healthy and let him initiate the offense. Or let Dunleavy run it. We're not getting any better on defense, so I don't think it would hurt. Plus it would create some real matchup problems on offense. Bring Tinsley off the bench for the rest of the season.

Only problem is that Rick won't bench Tinsley. And Larry won't fire Rick. And the Simons won't fire Larry.

I rather have Jasikevicius than Tinsley at the moment, even though his defense is just as worse.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post

I just can't buy into the highlighted text above. I think it is complete B.S.

A player is either adequate and provides what you need, or he is not!

Tinsley is not. He's done nothing in the past that would distinguish himself to get a free pass from me. It is true that he has never played defense, but at the very least I demand that my PG set an example and provide leadership.

What else is there to say? We got rid of the wrong PG.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Halfway through the 1st quarter, I looked at the stat line (I was at the game), and told hoopsforlife, "Hey, Jamaal has 4 assists already. He's played pretty well." Then he took his first shot, and it all went to crap.

By the fourth quarter, I looked up again and saw Tinsley had 5 assists.

Look at that again. 4 in the first. 5 in the game.

I will agree that we got absolutely nothing from our guards last night, and it's a large reason we ended up getting smoked. I've been yelling and screaming that we need different players at 1 and 2 for a long time (obviously excluding Reggie, who could probably still smoke anyone on our team). Last night's was the first game I'd been to in a while, and really the first one I've seen all of for a couple weeks probably (I've been busy, and they haven't been worth watching). It made me realize just how disappointed I was to not have seen a trade before the 22nd.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo

Of course the 17 point lead happened while Jamaal was on the bench but hey who is keeping track of such trivial things.

Also never mind that they were carving into the lead with Jamaal and Jeff on the floor in the 4th (down to 10) when Jeff gets yanked for Troy mr. softy Murphy.

Our PG situation is better than Cleveland's and Atlanta's, but after that there is nobody who has a starting PG with such an inability to defend anybody and consistently shoot well. Many teams have better backup PG's than our starter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Our PG situation is better than Cleveland's and Atlanta's, but after that there is nobody who has a starting PG with such an inability to defend anybody and consistently shoot well. Many teams have better backup PG's than our starter.
    I'd take Daniel Gibson over Tinsley, but thats it from Cleveland or Atlanta.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

play Greene and the new guy at the 1. Let Daniels/Dunleavy initiate the offense.
    Hey it might not be ideal, but it's worth a look.
    This isn't getting better as is.

Tinsley if anything is one of 3 players on the team getting active minutes that I am okay with right now. His play as of late has been very good. If his backup could dribble/penetrate the Pacers would be winning a lot more games, but as is with DA in the game the strategy is "pass the ball in a circle".

Would be nice if there was more than ONE person on the team with above average handles.

That there isn't shows in my opinion questionable talent evaluation and decision making on the part of Walsh and Bird.

It's so easy to just rant & rage about Tinsley, why would you want to actually watch a game when you can just rant&rage about Tinsley anyway?

1: Our biggest "pest" was without a second of a doubt K.Martin.
    His "main" production came when Tinsley was out; he caused Tinsley to pick up a lot of fouls, but he hardly scored v Tinsley (yeah that bad defender) and the fouls Tinsley had to take were often a result of a break down elsewhere like when RC had the bright idea of starting Tins @ SG in the 3rd.
    example; Tins picks of a ball int he passing lane (st) full court pass to DA who blows the layup and a long pass back to K.Martin who then has a "free" run, Tins prevents the score but gets the fould (his 4th at the time).

2. That same Tinsley is +5 where DA is -17 (how much was it again we lost by?)

3. "Few" assists? yeah, let's see, dribble penetration , kick out to DunDun for an uncontested 3.....miss, 2 plays later, dribble penetration, kick out to Murphy for the uncontested 3.......misss. next play dribble penetration for the kickout to Danny at the side for an uncontested 3. want to guess the result?

DIY or "dump into JO" were the ONLY plays open that had "some" result.

If you all take off your "we hate Tinsley" button long enough to watch the game then you can only conclude that the two players who played hurt last night were also our very best players on the court, got us ahead but were dumped in a hole so big there was no chance that "just the two of us" could get us out of there.

I have said it before and will say it again, the moment Tinsley leaves the court the team falls to shambles.

This team can not sustain one minute without either JO or Tinsley and that is an alarming fact.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Banned

I think the Tinsley defenders here are still in the stage of denial. I was once there too, but eventually you have to come out of it.

Terrible Shooting + Terrible Defense + High Turnovers = Lousy Point Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I think the Tinsley defenders here are still in the stage of denial. I was once there too, but eventually you have to come out of it.

Terrible Shooting + Terrible Defense + High Turnovers = Lousy Point Guard
    Please do not suggest you have ever come out of anything, it's a gotspe.

And don't try and insult my intelligence by suggesting I live in a fantasyworld.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    It's so easy to just rant & rage about Tinsley, why would you want to actually watch a game when you can just rant&rage about Tinsley anyway?

His "main" production came when Tinsley was out; he caused Tinsley to pick up a lot of fouls, but he hardly scored v Tinsley (yeah that bad defender) and the fouls Tinsley had to take were often a result of a break down elsewhere like when RC had the bright idea of starting Tins @ SG in the 3rd.
    example; Tins picks of a ball int he passing lane (st) full court pass to DA who blows the layup and a long pass back to K.Martin who then has a "free" run, Tins prevents the score but gets the fould (his 4th at the time).

3. "Few" assists? yeah, let's see, dribble penetration , kick out to DunDun for an uncontested 3.....miss, 2 plays later, dribble penetration, kick out to Murphy for the uncontested 3.......misss. next play dribble penetration for the kickout to Danny at the side for an uncontested 3. want to guess the result?

If you all take off your "we hate Tinsley" button long enough to watch the game then you can only conclude that the two players who played hurt last night were also our very best players on the court, got us ahead but were dumped in a hole so big there was no chance that "just the two of us" could get us out of there.

I have said it before and will say it again, the moment Tinsley leaves the court the team falls to shambles.

This team can not sustain one minute without either JO or Tinsley and that is an alarming fact.
    I use to think you were this really cool Brit but I'm beginning to think you are really Allan Dershowitz
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Does the UK celebrate something called "opposite day" and might today be that day?

Much of the issue with guarding Martin came because the defense was scrambling to react to penetration "at will" by Bibby. Granted stopping the penetration was no better with Jamaal on the bench.

I'm not not that JT sucks and the backups are better. I say that they are all somewhat similar in suckitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I rather have Jasikevicius than Tinsley at the moment, even though his defense is just as worse.
    I bet you would

Thats what I saw. Tinsley hardly played at all in the 3rd quarter, and that's the quarter where Martin went off for 21 and the Kings scored 40. You can't lay the blame on someone that wasn't even in the game.

Martin scored 4 of his 21 against Tinsley in the 3rd. When he was pulled in the 3rd after picking up his 4th foul the Pacers were up by one.