Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Hope You All Like This Team...

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default I Hope You All Like This Team...

A significant number of big-name players have been grist for the rumor mill but with the NBA Trade Deadline approaching Thursday, the Pacers don't expect to make another major change.

New Jersey's Vince Carter and Jason Kidd, Memphis' Pau Gasol, Sacramento's Ron Artest and Mike Bibby, Seattle's Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen and Minnesota's Kevin Garnett all have been mentioned in reports of trade possibilities.

Having already pulled off an eight-player trade with Golden State that changed the face of the Pacers in January, Walsh is understandably hesitant to pursue another substantial deal.

"Our feeling is if something would really help us we'll do it but we don't feel a pressure to go out there and make a trade because we kind of want to see how this team develops with the players we got in the Golden State trade," Walsh said. "And then in the summer, you'll be in a better position to take a look at everything and say, 'What do we need now?'

"I don't think we've seen enough of all the players that are now on the team, including guys we had last year. Where that leaves us as a team, we have to let it percolate a little bit."

Coach Rick Carlisle also downplayed the likelihood of a deal.

"If there's something that would improve our team I'm sure Larry (Bird) and Donnie would consider it," Carlisle said. "We're always looking to get better just like everybody else in the league. Having said that, the likelihood of something happening usually is on the low-percentage side at this point. But you never know. We'll see."

Walsh said there is interest in smaller deals he described as "things around the core of the team that could help us" but isn't sure they'll get done this week.

"We're listening to everybody," Walsh said. "We don't really know what our team is right now. We're starting to get an idea of it but it takes time to take a look and see how everything fits together to make a judgment as to where we go from here."

Walsh said he has been surprised by the number of significant players being discussed as trade possibilities, particularly because it is generally more difficult to pull off a major deal during the season because of the lack of roster flexibility and salary-cap limitations.

"I'm always surprised if a big-name player other than a guy in the last year of his contract is traded in the middle of the year because you're kind of confined," Walsh said. "But there are times when you hear the right thing. Can you trade those big-salaried players now? There may be a chance but I don't know that you'll have as many options as you'll have later on."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/trade...ne_070220.html

Default Re: I Hope You All Like This Team...

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieDoNothing
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Our feeling is if something would really help us we'll do it but we don't feel a pressure to go out there and make a trade because we kind of want to see how this team develops with the players we got in the Golden State trade," Walsh said. "And then in the summer, you'll be in a better position to take a look at everything and say, 'What do we need now?'
    Well there goes this season.

I knew this would happen. KNEW IT.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well there goes this season.

I knew this would happen. KNEW IT.
    I think we all did, didn't we? You know what, though. so what.

If I'm Donnie, I play Tinman as much as possible, in the old showcase scenario, then set something up for draft night. That would be his way.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I see two options for Tinsley the rest of this season:

He plays up to or closely up to potential and cements his position, in the off-season we go looking for a defensive 2 or he doesn't live up to his potential/gets into legal trouble and he is out at draftday/night.

I have a feeling reading in between lines that he bar is set rather high for this team and no, I don't think they will "drop" JO, but a few more players will be moved if they do not make a reasonable run in the playoffs.

Read the list again and tell me who they have projected above the Pacers......

Right, that is what they expect, anything less and the flood doors are wide open, reach that and we will tweak only.

Either way I see LB moving on after this season, to much DW to little LB on frontline at the moment, it should be the other way around if DW is retiring.

All in all interesting season remainder

Did anyone actually think there was a deal out there to make this team better? This team will do ok and finish 5th or possibly 4th. They have played much better since the trade and once they are comfortable with each other they will only get better.

Donnie Do Nothing baby thats what it is. Every year a player comes on the market that can put us up in the elite group of teams buts hey its Donnie Walsh baby and we are happy with just making the playoffs and losing in the first round. WTF Does he think is going to happen with this team, they are going to go to the finals? They just lost 3 straight games at home to non playoff teams but you want to see what they can do.

Fire Bird and Walsh.

Barring a major trade bringing talent from the West to the East, the Pistons are the only team in the East that is markedly better than the Pacers. There are significant question marks with every other team, as there are with the Pacers.

All this is to say that, even without a trade, the Pacers are not a certain first round out in the playoffs this year. While I'm not a Tinsley fan, I don't see any PG's who are both obtainable and a significant improvement. I look forward to seeing how this roster will fare for the rest of the year.

Here's the bottom line: Are you happier with this roster than with the roster at the end of last season?

I am.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Donnie Do Nothing baby thats what it is. Every year a player comes on the market that can put us up in the elite group of teams buts hey its Donnie Walsh baby and we are happy with just making the playoffs and losing in the first round.
    You're referring to Iverson, I'm assuming?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sox View Post
    Did anyone actually think there was a deal out there to make this team better? This team will do ok and finish 5th or possibly 4th. They have played much better since the trade and once they are comfortable with each other they will only get better.
    I agree. I don't know why people are so ready to tank on this team. They've been together a couple of weeks. I don't think you can fairly evaluate them until we get towards the playoffs. They GS guys are just now getting their shooting strokes back. That'd why I like Donnie. He doesn't trade just for the sake of trade. I like the team (Jamaal included unless we can get Bibby ), and I think standing pat is the best basketball decision. Lateral moves can serve to just bring you the same crappy meal on a different plate. Actually, it would make more sense to wait until the offseason when these trade restrictions fall off of some of these players, and you have more pieces to consider in a deal.

I wasn't happy with losing those few games at home just like anyone else was but it was without quis if we can stay healthy I like our chances heck we might even end up surprising a few people. The more I think about it the decision to stand pat was probably a good decision for now, if the team ends up sucking and vastly underperforming to the tune of 7th or 8th seed. THEN we'll probably be making moves, if STILL nothing happens then I would be calling for some firings cause then it just becomes apparent that this team has no future and still no direction. I understand Dat Dude's frustration, the point is to WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP if that's not the ultimate objective than why I even play the games? People are talking like our ultimate goal should be 4th or 3rd seed and 2nd round before we get bumped out...and that's sad.

streets ahead

it is difficult because ultimately we need bigger and better parts, its just a consideration of when those parts would be obtained (trade deadline or offseason). i think in the playoffs, as it stands right now, you have to give the pacers a 50/50 shot against everyone (including detroit...they didn't beat us by a significant amount really, we clawed back into that one DESPITE their big leads and no Quis). and yes im happier with this team right now than i was at the end of last season. but i still believe we're two or three decent sized parts away from being a legitimate championship contender. so whatever happens, i'm not going to be disappointed because there is value in both directions.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Seriously what do you people expect to get? Danny is one of the best GM's in the leauge. We have one of the toughest markets and yet he has put a playoff team on the floor for how many years now?

We do not get elite players in Free Agency because no one that makes more than a 5 million a year wants to deal with the weather when they can get that money where its nicer and more of a town to live in.

Trades are hard because frankly all the people you all want and the ones we could get are not a improvement to our team. We are lucky right now to have the team we do. Year after year danny finds a way to take almost stars and almost good players that alot of people do not want and win with them.

I agree when you see a big name come on the market we all want to go for them. But anytime a great player comes ont he market so does a BIG price tag. We cannot get a KIDD or IVERSON type player for granger tinsley and harrison. Im sorry asking price would be minimum JO. Why would be blow up a winning team that is back on the right track for a guard and lose our post game. Lets shoot ourself from winning to the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    You're referring to Iverson, I'm assuming?
    Iverson,Rasheed,T-Mac,Vince. Probably a few other people I forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    Seriously what do you people expect to get? Danny is one of the best GM's in the leauge. We have one of the toughest markets and yet he has put a playoff team on the floor for how many years now?

We do not get elite players in Free Agency because no one that makes more than a 5 million a year wants to deal with the weather when they can get that money where its nicer and more of a town to live in.

Trades are hard because frankly all the people you all want and the ones we could get are not a improvement to our team. We are lucky right now to have the team we do. Year after year danny finds a way to take almost stars and almost good players that alot of people do not want and win with them.

I agree when you see a big name come on the market we all want to go for them. But anytime a great player comes ont he market so does a BIG price tag. We cannot get a KIDD or IVERSON type player for granger tinsley and harrison. Im sorry asking price would be minimum JO. Why would be blow up a winning team that is back on the right track for a guard and lose our post game. Lets shoot ourself from winning to the lottery.
    I was unaware granger also was and has been our GM all these years, brilliant move to draft himself.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    I don't know the answer to that... what team is Danny the GM for?

But anytime a great player comes ont he market so does a BIG price tag. We cannot get a KIDD or IVERSON type player for granger tinsley and harrison. Im sorry asking price would be minimum JO.
    Not even close. Iverson's one of the top scorers in his generation, and he was traded for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two picks.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Philly got 2 first round picks, one of the better starting point guards in the league and an above average vet big man with an expiring contract. It's not like they let AI go for nothing. I'm not sure what is better JO or those four pieces.

This team has been utterly destroyed by retarded players the past 3 seasons. It sickens me to think we were not only one of the NBA's best teams, but one of the NBA's youngest teams just a few short seasons ago. Amazing what one cancerous headcase can do to an entire franchise.

Even if we are "one of the better teams in the East" we're still mediocre in my opinion. Being one of the better teams in the East is like being one of the smarter kids in the Special Ed class. A backhanded compliment.

Depending on what we dealt in any deal, both Mike Bibby, provided he regained old form, and Vince Carter, who the Net's say has a 50/50 chance of being moved, would raise us up 1 whole level, at least. I'd make a move for them. And if it fails, I'd start over from scratch. I'd rather due that and have a few years of rebuilding than settle for mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie Do Nothing baby thats what it is. Every year a player comes on the market that can put us up in the elite group of teams buts hey its Donnie Walsh baby and we are happy with just making the playoffs and losing in the first round. WTF Does he think is going to happen with this team, they are going to go to the finals? They just lost 3 straight games at home to non playoff teams but you want to see what they can do.

Fire Bird and Walsh.
    Donnie Do Nothing? Where in the world are you getting that?

There are five players on this team that were here last season.

JO
    Foster
    Tinsley
    Harrison
    Danny

That means that 66% of this team wasn't here last year. Sixty freaking six percent!!!

They've brought in 10 new players either this offseason, or this season. I can understand Bball and his "throwing spaghetti against the wall," opinion, but Donnie Do Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Donnie Do Nothing? Where in the world are you getting that?

There are five players on this team that were here last season.

JO
    Foster
    Tinsley
    Harrison
    Danny

That means that 66% of this team wasn't here last year. Sixty freaking six percent!!!

They've brought in 10 new players either this offseason, or this season. I can understand Bball and his "throwing spaghetti against the wall," opinion, but Donnie Do Nothing?

WOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOO Darrell Armstrong,Orien Green,Rawle Marshall,Keith McLeod. New players. We are going to win the ship with that power.

If you want to get stars, you got to either give one up, or one that could possibly be one.

There's only two that fit that description: JO and Danny.

Which you gonna give up, and who you gonna get for them?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    Andre Miller is a middle of the pack point guard. Certainly not top-10, and he turns 31 in less than a month, not exactly what you'd want for a rebuilding team.

The two 1sts were neither that good. The Nuggets 1st is late teens, and the Mavs 1st could end up the last pick in the round.

And Joe Smith is a career backup. Sure his $6.8M expiring is nice for a rebuilding team, but it's not exactly huge.

To say that's worth more than a 20/10/3/3 DPOY-caliber big man is...well...retarded. And if the Pacers would've been willing to give up Granger, I'm pretty sure Philly would've worked something out with us.
    andre miller isn't top 10? ok...list the 10 above him:

chris paul
    steve nash
    deron williams
    jason kidd
    tony parker
    kirk hinrich
    chauncey billups
    gilbert arenas (arguably a combo, but whatever)

i get 8. in case you haven't seen him play or looked at his stats this year, bibby is looking pretty rough. at this point, i would take miller over bibby. how the mighty kings have fallen.

joe smith is serviceable, but career back-up is a little over the top. he has started pretty often, and his career average, even with injuries and declining production is still 12 and 7.

and two firsts that "arent' that good?" then why is everyone on the board upset that we don't even have a 2nd rounder. This is a good looking draft.

come on, that deal is unquestionably good for BK, and still pretty solid all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If you want to get stars, you got to either give one up, or one that could possibly be one.

There's only two that fit that description: JO and Danny.

Which you gonna give up, and who you gonna get for them?
    Yeah the Nets got Vince Carter for Eric Williams and 2 first rounds picks. The Pistons got Rasheed for a bunch of horse crap. Those sure are stars.

Vince demanded a trade, and Joe just pulled Sheed out his butt.

Both are the exceptions, not the rule.

EDIT: Both trades also gave up two first round picks. Something that the Pacers don't have this next draft.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the Nets got Vince Carter for Eric Williams and 2 first rounds picks. The Pistons got Rasheed for a bunch of horse crap. Those sure are stars.
    Nobody wanted Rasheed at that time. He has just been banished from Portland. He was seen as being as much a risk then as Ron Artest is now. Vince was also a distraction in Toronto and needed to be moved. They did get hosed though.

BTW, did anyone else see the rumors of an AJ/Najara trade?

I don't mind this team if we stand pat. I think this team can be really good. They've shown they can compete with top tier teams, even without key players.

What bothers me is that we always seem to play down to opponents! We can no longer continue to do that! We have to start lowering the boom on teams we're suppose to beat!

On top of that, when you look at most of the trade rumors, they involve the top teams in the East. Pistons, Bulls, Cavs, and Heat are all looking for deals to make there teams championship contending teams! All the deals we make are b/c of character or chemistry issues!

The Pacers are trying to win back fans. The other top teams in the East are trying to win Championships!!