View Poll Results: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Negative

    29 69.05%
  • Positive

    13 30.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    This seems to be a hot debate around here, so let's take it to the poll. Do you feel Jamaal Tinsley brings a negative or positive impact to the Indiana Pacers?

    STRENGTHS
    • Great Ball Handler
    • Great Passer
    • Can Create For Himself
    • Can Make His Teammates Better, Although Lately He Rarely Does This


    WEAKNESSES
    • Highly Inefficient Offense
    • Poor Shot Selection
    • Turnover Prone
    • Lousy Defender
    • Questionable Character
    • Injury Prone



    I think it's abundantly clear his weaknesses far outweigh his strengths, thus overall he hurts the Pacers more than he helps them.

  2. #2
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    28
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    I don't care so much about character once the players are on the court. If they go out and play, thats what I look at. And he seems to be a little less injury prone this year, so I'll give him the benefit if the doubt.

    With both categories then having 4, I'll see him as a positive impact (assuming he does a lot of passing).


  3. #3

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    He's currently on quite a streak: eight straight games with at least 8 assists. That's pretty remarkable in my opinion, especially considering the lack of scoring options on the team.

  4. #4
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Your arguments are so way out that it immediately turns whatever you say in to bias.

    Ast p/game 6.8 (12th in league)
    Ast p/48min 10.5 (10th in league)
    total ast 362 (8th in game)
    Ast/TO 2.48 (20-26th in league)

    Injury Prone ? he has missed how many gamers this season ?
    Questionable Character? you know the man personally ?
    Inefficient offense ? who calls the plays ?


    thank you.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your arguments are so way out that it immediately turns whatever you say in to bias.

    Ast p/game 6.8 (12th in league)
    Ast p/48min 10.5 (10th in league)
    total ast 362 (8th in game)
    Ast/TO 2.48 (20-26th in league)

    Injury Prone ? he has missed how many gamers this season ?
    Questionable Character? you know the man personally ?
    Inefficient offense ? who calls the plays ?


    thank you.
    He's a good passer. Did I not say that already? Geez, I could have sworn i did

    His ATO ratio is currently 26th in the league, one of the worst for a starting point guard in the league. How is that possibly a good thing? Here's a list of the current players with a better assist-to-turnover ratio than Jamaal Tinsley....

    Jose Calderon, TOR
    Jason Williams, MIA
    Antonio Daniels, WAS
    Chauncey Billups, DET
    Steve Blake, DEN/MIL
    Chris Paul, NOR
    Chris Duhon, CHI
    Jason Kidd, NJN
    Deron Williams, UTH
    Steve Nash, PHO
    Earl Watson, SEA
    Damon Stoudamire, MEM
    Chucky Atkins, MEM
    Jason Terry, DAL
    Andre Miller, DEN/PHI
    Baron Davis, GSW
    Eric Snow, CLE
    Kirk Hinrich, CHI
    Sam Cassell, LAC
    Gary Payton, MIA
    Sebastian Telfair, BOS
    Brevin Knight, CHA
    T.J. Ford, TOR
    Raymond Felton, CHA
    Shaun Livingston, LAC

    Sebastien Telfair?? Eric Snow?? Chucky Atkins?? Damon Stoudamire?? Earl Watson?? Steve Blake?? Raymond Felton?? 99 year old Gary Payton?? Jason Williams?? Chris Duhon?? Antonio Daniels??

    He's missed, what, 1 game thus far? Sorry, but its gonna take more than playing in 53 out of 54 games for a player who's missed 112 games over the past 3 seasons to shed the injury prone label.

    If you don't question Tinsley's character by now you've got issues.

    And regardless of who's calling the plays, Tinsleys still missing the shots. And I highly doubt Rick Carlisle is telling Tinsley to shoot as much as he is.

    And let's not forget the embarrassingly bad defense.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    What's Daniels' ATO ratio? Questionable character and injury prone would appear to apply to him as well, right?

  7. #7
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    I have issues I'm sure, but no, I do not question his character.

    You do ? based on what? you done better in life ? achieved more ?
    Studied to judge people ?

    What are his shooting numbers over the last 9 games again?

    your "missed game" data is way off, but I'll leave it at this.

    All people have good and bad sides, emphasizing the bad has never achieved more then blind hatred, judgemental points of view and other nastyness.

    Seeing good in others is something that makes you a much happier person.

    If the Pacers play bad, or have "bad" players, my self-esteem does not get a hit, I am dissapointed in the team I root for, but my achievements still cover me nicely, I don't need "the team" to define who I am.
    What the Pacers do does not reflect on me, I derive pleasure from watching them play, not who they are or how they are living their life.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  8. #8
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's Daniels' ATO ratio? Questionable character and injury prone would appear to apply to him as well, right?
    Daniels was where Tinsley was, and had missed 10 more games til now (and more to come) then Tinsley.

    But I don't know about his character, I don't know the man.

    As far as injury prone goes, he has not played more then 62 games (his high) a season. (56 and 60 were the other 2)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's Daniels' ATO ratio? Questionable character and injury prone would appear to apply to him as well, right?
    Yeah, somewhat injury prone. And I wouldn't question his character yet, at least nowhere near as much as I would Tinsleys. And unfortunately, Marquis hasn't played in enough games to qualify, however his 1.64 career ratio would currently rank 11th for SG/SF's.

  10. #10
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have issues I'm sure, but no, I do not question his character.

    You do ? based on what? you done better in life ? achieved more ?
    Studied to judge people ?

    What are his shooting numbers over the last 9 games again?

    your "missed game" data is way off, but I'll leave it at this.

    All people have good and bad sides, emphasizing the bad has never achieved more then blind hatred, judgemental points of view and other nastyness.

    Seeing good in others is something that makes you a much happier person.

    If the Pacers play bad, or have "bad" players, my self-esteem does not get a hit, I am dissapointed in the team I root for, but my achievements still cover me nicely, I don't need "the team" to define who I am.
    What the Pacers do does not reflect on me, I derive pleasure from watching them play, not who they are or how they are living their life.
    QFT^^^

  11. #11
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, somewhat injury prone. And I wouldn't question his character yet, at least nowhere near as much as I would Tinsleys. And unfortunately, Marquis hasn't played in enough games to qualify, however his 1.64 career ratio would currently rank 11th for SG/SF's.
    Outside of the above highlighted:

    His current year stat is 1.3 Ast per game, and 1.21 turnover per game. (1.07)

    The NBA stats are held for "guards" and "forwards", not for sg/sf combos.

    His career average is 2.1 Ast and 1.28 Turnover. which is a lot "clearer" to read then a 1.64 ratio.

    Tinsley's career 6.8 to 2.83 = 2.41 which is in general a LOT better the MD
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have issues I'm sure, but no, I do not question his character.

    You do ? based on what? you done better in life ? achieved more ?
    Studied to judge people ?
    Based off the fact that he threatens to kill people, the fact that he shows an apathetical attitude towards his job, a job in which hes being paid millions of dollars, in which the fans put a lot of their hard earned money.

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are his shooting numbers over the last 9 games again?
    56-139, 40.3% from the field (Terrible)
    8-27, 29.6% from downtown (Bad)
    19-27, 70.4% from the line (Bad)


    But hey, his field goal percentage is up from last month (39.5%) and a lot from December (37.4%) If he keeps improving at this rate he'll be a respectable shooter by the year 2319.

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your "missed game" data is way off, but I'll leave it at this.
    Not really.

    Games missed the last 3 seasons: 40, 42, 30

    Unless you wanna count playoff games as well, which would likely make it look even worse, which I wasn't even gonna bother looking up.

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All people have good and bad sides, emphasizing the bad has never achieved more then blind hatred, judgemental points of view and other nastyness.

    Seeing good in others is something that makes you a much happier person.

    If the Pacers play bad, or have "bad" players, my self-esteem does not get a hit, I am dissapointed in the team I root for, but my achievements still cover me nicely, I don't need "the team" to define who I am.
    What the Pacers do does not reflect on me, I derive pleasure from watching them play, not who they are or how they are living their life.

    Alright.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Tinlsey, to me, brings a negative impact.

    Here is why.

    He has talent, no doubt. But he doesn't use that talent right but that's just my opinion.

    He takes bad shots, he makes poor decisions, and he plays poor defense. I don't care about the highlight reel skills he does have because when you are a point guard and you take bad shots, make poor decisions, and play poor defense you do not bring a positive impact.

  14. #14
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based off the fact that he threatens to kill people, the fact that he shows an apathetical attitude towards his job, a job in which hes being paid millions of dollars, in which the fans put a lot of their hard earned money.
    There is no "fact" that he's threatened to kill anyone. If he's proven guilty for this, then you have a point. Til then, you have nothing. As far as showing an apathetical attitude, I don't exactly see Daniels as a very emotional player himself. But I don't know how he is off the court because I don't know him. I don't understand how you can judge someone you don't even know.

  15. #15
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    I'm going to say it like this. We have Jamaal Tinsley now. Negative or Positive, that's who the hell we have. Jamaal Tinsley. He's not the best, he's not the worst. We didn't make a deadline deal to get him off the team, so he's who we have until the offseason comes and we make a decision to deal him away. We're stuck with him whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outside of the above highlighted:

    His current year stat is 1.3 Ast per game, and 1.21 turnover per game. (1.07)

    The NBA stats are held for "guards" and "forwards", not for sg/sf combos.

    His career average is 2.1 Ast and 1.28 Turnover. which is a lot "clearer" to read then a 1.64 ratio.

    Tinsley's career 6.8 to 2.83 = 2.41 which is in general a LOT better the MD
    He's having an off season so far, whoopdy doo. That what happens when you've got a stubborn coach who benches you over inferior players.


    I went by the listings from ESPN.com, they list players who can play both SG and SF together, (Carter, Wacko Jacko, Dunleavy, Bell, T-Mac, etc.)

    And ok, so our point guard has a better career assist-to-turnover ratio then our GF. He should have, he's a point guard. Jamison Brewer has a better career assist-to-turnover ratio than Kobe Bryant.........

    Kobe Bryant 4.5 apg, 2.92 topg (1.54)
    Jamison Brewer, 1 apg, .6 topg (1.67)

  17. #17
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based off the fact that he threatens to kill people, the fact that he shows an apathetical attitude towards his job, a job in which hes being paid millions of dollars, in which the fans put a lot of their hard earned money.
    AAAaaaah you where there!! you heard it! and you never said anything of that nature to anyone in your life!

    You are also on the court when they practise, you are there when he is training and because he's so apathic he can play 33.5 mpg in the NBA, right.
    And because you have courtside seats you feel you are entitled to more then just the seat on the floor, I get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    56-139, 40.3% from the field (Terrible)
    8-27, 29.6% from downtown (Bad)
    19-27, 70.4% from the line (Bad)


    But hey, his field goal percentage is up from last month (39.5%) and a lot from December (37.4%) If he keeps improving at this rate he'll be a respectable shooter by the year 2319.
    Take the last 10 and it goes up to 0.425
    over the last 10:
    min 33.5
    FGMA 0.425
    Reb 2.9
    Ast 9.1
    Spg 2.0
    Blk 0.4
    Pts 16.7
    To 2.9
    Ast/to 3.14

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    Not really.



    Games missed the last 3 seasons: 40, 42, 30

    Unless you wanna count playoff games as well, which would likely make it look even worse, which I wasn't even gonna bother looking up.




    Alright.
    you are forgetting to deduct the 20 odd that Carlisle benched him in favour of KA and the 7 or 8 odd he was benched in favour of DA
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  18. #18

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you are forgetting to deduct the 20 odd that Carlisle benched him in favour of KA and the 7 or 8 odd he was benched in favour of DA
    Maybe i'm wrong, but I thought that Tinsley was injured, KA started and Carlise had KA starting even when Tinsley was healthy until Tinsley "earned" it from him.

  19. #19
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's having an off season so far, whoopdy doo. That what happens when you've got a stubborn coach who benches you over inferior players.
    ok so MD playing poor is RC's fault, Tins is.......his attitude; right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went by the listings from ESPN.com, they list players who can play both SG and SF together, (Carter, Wacko Jacko, Dunleavy, Bell, T-Mac, etc.)

    And ok, so our point guard has a better career assist-to-turnover ratio then our GF. He should have, he's a point guard. Jamison Brewer has a better career assist-to-turnover ratio than Kobe Bryant.........

    Kobe Bryant 4.5 apg, 2.92 topg (1.54)
    Jamison Brewer, 1 apg, .6 topg (1.67)
    I'm pretty sure Brewer did not play enough games to qualify
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  20. #20
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe i'm wrong, but I thought that Tinsley was injured, KA started and Carlise had KA starting even when Tinsley was healthy until Tinsley "earned" it from him.
    You are wrong.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  21. #21
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,253

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Before whining too much about Tinsley, I want to give thanks that Stephen Jackson is no longer a Pacer. Thank you! ....ok, I'm done.

    Now, to answer the question, Tinsley is really a mix. He is arguably more negative than positive due to poor defense, poor leadership, poor decision-making (on-court and off) and poor shooting. He could also exploit his strengths a little better, but that's not really the issue. He does penetrate well...and against some guards can dominate on the block. So there are positives.

    All in all, Tinsley is an average starting PG in the NBA who is needed on this team merely because the team has nothing better. The Pacers want to be better than average, so trading for a better starting PG with some leadership skills, shooting skills and ability to defend would be a big upgrade.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ok so MD playing poor is RC's fault, Tins is.......his attitude; right.
    The difference is, Quis is playing well below his Dallas self. So it leads me to believe somethings up, and I'd say it's most likely playing the least amount of minutes of his career. Tinsley on the other hand is as mediocre and flawed as ever. He was the same under Isiah as he is now.



    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure Brewer did not play enough games to qualify
    He played in 54 career games. And it thats not enough, you could just replace him with any crappy PG in NBA history and the results will come out about the same.

  23. #23
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    This has become too much of a stat ridden thread. Are we really comparing Brewer to Tinsley? I mean I'm being cereal.

  24. #24
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    None of us knows anywhere near enough of what ACTUALLY has happened to know about him personally.
    PLAYING wise, I just don't like him out there very much. And I've been a supporter of his until this year when I started watching all the games. The ball movement is night and day better when he is on the bench.
    His ballhandling and ability to get into the lane are fabulous, but his shooting doesn't allow him to use it to advantage. And his defense is horrendous.
    He's got to sit or go.
    IMO - He's likely the best BACKUP pg in the league.
    Sounds like Larry agrees.

  25. #25
    Member BruceLeeroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Jamaal Tinsley - Negative or Positive Impact?

    Negative. Tinsley simply just isn't that good. In the NBA a PG needs to do more than dribble and pass. They need to try to defend and be a LEADER as well. It's also nice if they can shoot a bit, but that's not the most important attribute of a PG.

    If we could somehow combine Tinsleys skill set with Armys leadership and defense I believe we'd have an All-Star, but Tinsley seems set in his ways and unable to get any better (or seem to care) year after year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •