Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Post Game Thread - Loss to Raps

Default Re: Post Game Thread - Loss to Raps

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Otherwise, I really liked the Raptors. I think in a playoff series you can get physical with them and give them trouble, but on a given night they can beat anyone.

Observation... How come we get Sarunas and Toronto gets Garbosa and Calderon?

1. The Raptors are pretty good. I've been following them this season, and they're getting it together. Each week that passes they get better.
    2. Sarunas KILLED Calderon in the Euroleague finals before they both made the leap to the NBA. Calderon is younger and quicker, but Sarunas is a genious. It's pretty awful he wasn't given the keys to this team after the game winner in his SECOND GAME against Miami, or after Tinsley went down. Carlisle whipped his a$$ to the bench and broke his ego, and that was it. Too bad for all sides. Now you're still stuck with Tinsley and where did AJ end up? In Atlanta for a 2nd rounder...
    3. You should see how Sam Mitchell and the Raptors treat their "international" players and newcomers. Calderon is playing more minutes off the bench than TJ Ford is as a starter. Garbajosa is getting playing time at 3 positions, and has been thru a 25% shooting slump about a month ago. The whole time his coach and the organization were totally behind him. Sam allows them to do mistakes. He doesn't pull them out in disgust. If Rick and the Pacer players had treated Sarunas half of how Sam and the Raptors players treat theirs - the real Sarunas would've come out.
    4. Anthony Parker is a god. Wow!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

One game a player is great the next game he's worthless? I know I'm dissappointed to with this loss, but blowout losses happen to any team. Personally I would like to see the shots a little more spread out, because I think JO is taking a few too many now. This in itself makes that we become a little too predictable and results in a stricter guarding of JO by the opposing defences.

I especially would like to see about 10-14 shots each for Murphy, Quis and Dun Dun. When one of them is just not on on any given night then just let someone else take the shots.

Most importantly though, we need to get our perimeter defence in order FAST.

Personally I wouldn't mind moving Dun Dun to the second squad as it would give that unit a substantial better passer in the backcourt relieving the PG he is playing with a little and giving him a little more opportunity to take (good) shots.

The first unit would have Quis inserted at SG and I hope a better defence in the backcourt as a result. Still nothing spectacular, but better. The main weakeness of the starting unit would then probably be range, but that's something we have to accept then I guess.

Range was something that I specifically warned about prior to the season's start. IF you want to spread the defence you need range. We have limited range at PG (DA) and SG (Dun Dun) and decent at SF (Danny and Williams) and PF (Murphy), but it's not something we should be really impressed at. Guess you can't have everything though.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Kinda glad I did not get a chance to watch this game. I think I feel better
    than most everyone who has posted here : )
    It is always frustrating to see a lack of effort and obviously this team has
    flaws but I still like it better than the team before the trade. Marquis is
    a key to this team. Hope his leg heals fast.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

[QUOTE=mellifluous;549835]

"What this game proved was just how far the Pacers are away from being able to play the transition type of game that Larry wants. People are killing Murphy and Dunleavy, but they may be the only two guys on the team who really understand spacing and how to run w/o the ball on the break. There are some guys (Williams, Granger, Daniels) who can and will run, but a transition oriented team is very far away. This is not Rick's fault. You can blame a lot of things on him but not that."

Was it not JO that threw a fit about the style of play, and was a catalyst for going back to the half court sets?

"I agree with what most people are saying about Murphy playing less, but his defense is not that bad. It's very mediocre, but it's no where near JT bad. I specifically watched him try to guard Chris Bosh, and he managed to stay in front of him with his hand up and at least make it harder for him to score. It wasn't great, but Bosh (who's a great player) wasn't just walking to the hope and dunking."

Which calls to mind, why play Murphy on Bosh instead of O'Neal on Bosh? It has never made sense to me to put a weaker defender on a more potent offensive player.

[QUOTE=Tom White;550106]
    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

Which calls to mind, why play Murphy on Bosh instead of O'Neal on Bosh? It has never made sense to me to put a weaker defender on a more potent offensive player.
    I assume to avoid foul trouble for JO, but I understand your point. We had the same issue against Detroit with Murhpy on Wallace when we have 3 other bigs (JO, Jeff, Baston) that are better defensive options.

Quote Originally Posted by JB's Breakout Year View Post
    One of the weirdest things about this team is HOW they lose.

Obviously, nobody is going to win all of their games. Toronto is a solid team playing at home. Going in to the game, they're probably the favorite regardless of what else may be going on.

But so many times this year, we look like two COMPLETELY different teams when we win and when we lose. Seems like there have been a lot of games where we've never even been in it. You can't say, "Well, we lost, but we competed and played our game. Just wasn't our night." No, most times we really look like crap when we lose. It looks like we're just mailing it in.

Weirder still, at this point at least, we've won 4 more games than we've lost. So we DO play well. We DO have nights where Murphy and Dunleavey contribute, where Jamaal is looking to manage the game, where Danny is aggressive, etc., etc.

Strange season. Something's obviously still FUNKY with this team. Judging by Larry's interview in the Star, more change is in the cards.
    Good post and very true!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Absolutely agree 100% if we're going to make a run for a championship than everybody needs to be on the same page, TPTB, Coach, Players, we're just trying to half-*** our way into some sort of moral victory so the Pacers can push another PR movement trying to fill in the seats. I just hate being teased we get on a good run of 3 games then we lose win 3 more games lose 2 and it doesn't matter what our competition is, it is what it is. You watch we'll absolutely kill the Kings(no accomplishment) and compete at a high level against the suns maybe even win 1 against them but then we'll go and lose one of the two against the suns and then get beat badly by the Clippers.

I'm all for tanking the rest of the season get a top 10 draft pick, and then do jermaine a favor trade him and try to get a top 5 draft pick out of him than send tinsley out along with either murphy or dunleavy to try to get a 15-25 draft pick with that plus free up major cap with that move. I would weep with joy if the Pacers could draft Conley and Odin plus use our top 10 draft pick we have from tanking the season to getting a solid PF or SG. That would effectively give us a starting lineup of something to this effect

PG - Conley/DA if he comes back/Mcleod
    SG - Quis/Dunleavy/Rawle
    SF - Granger/Williams
    PF - Ike/best available PF in draft/Maceo
    C - Odin/Jeff//Harrison
    You aren't grasping the business side of the equation. This team is bleeding fans (and more importantly, corporate sponsers) NOW. And we are a small market team.
    TANK, and this team MAY rebuild.
    But it won't be in Indy when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    1. The Raptors are pretty good. I've been following them this season, and they're getting it together. Each week that passes they get better.
    2. Sarunas KILLED Calderon in the Euroleague finals before they both made the leap to the NBA. Calderon is younger and quicker, but Sarunas is a genious. It's pretty awful he wasn't given the keys to this team after the game winner in his SECOND GAME against Miami, or after Tinsley went down. Carlisle whipped his a$$ to the bench and broke his ego, and that was it. Too bad for all sides. Now you're still stuck with Tinsley and where did AJ end up? In Atlanta for a 2nd rounder...
    3. You should see how Sam Mitchell and the Raptors treat their "international" players and newcomers. Calderon is playing more minutes off the bench than TJ Ford is as a starter. Garbajosa is getting playing time at 3 positions, and has been thru a 25% shooting slump about a month ago. The whole time his coach and the organization were totally behind him. Sam allows them to do mistakes. He doesn't pull them out in disgust. If Rick and the Pacer players had treated Sarunas half of how Sam and the Raptors players treat theirs - the real Sarunas would've come out.
    4. Anthony Parker is a god. Wow!
    Yeh, Sarunas is TEARING it up now that he's on that proper running team!!!!
    And getting the love and support he needs!
    DEAD ON ACCURATE!!!!
    (extreme sarcasm)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    You aren't grasping the business side of the equation. This team is bleeding fans (and more importantly, corporate sponsers) NOW. And we are a small market team.
    TANK, and this team MAY rebuild.
    But it won't be in Indy when it happens.
    I think it would help put butts in seats, you're telling me a hometown boy and fantastic NBA potential wouldn't bring people back? People hate tinsley (although I don't know why) they'd have him gone, hopefully getting rid of either murphy or dunleavy in the process which would give us better cap flexibility down the road and a young promising team not to mention a direction. This team comes in every year without an identity, and fails to meet expectations, take those expectations away give them a 3-4 year window to rebuild and make a push into the playoffs and you'll see fans coming back out of the woodwork.