Thread: Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird Interviews On Pacers.com (2/23)

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird Interviews On Pacers.com (2/23)

Pacers.com has posted video interviews (with transcripts) with both Donnie and Larry. Interesting comments from each. Here's the links...

Donnie

Larry
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Default Re: Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird Interviews On Pacers.com (2/23)

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers.com has posted video interviews (with transcripts) with both Donnie and Larry. Interesting comments from each. Here's the links...

Donnie

Larry

Very interesting on several levels.

The most interesting comment to me is Larry saying something to the effect of "It might take us some time but I'm going to get the right players in here." It's obvious, but to hear that he recognizes we're not quite right is good. I'm tired of hearing "we want to see how our players do".

I was surprised how both basically said that they're not happy yet with the team (on the floor), implying to me that there are certain players not doing what they think they need to do.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or flippant - but I'm surprised that you are surprised. I think DW and Bird are stating the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic or flippant - but I'm surprised that you are surprised. I think DW and Bird are stating the obvious
    I'm surprised because, for them, that's almost like calling out players (without actually doing it).

It's the first time since they've been here that they've called out the team mid-season (not counting post-trade remarks). They've made crazy statements the past five years, and finally a reasonable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes they are,but the whole point is that they are FINALLY stating the obvious.Thats what was making me go on my long rants in other threads nobody would admit that this team isnt a title contender.All that DW/Bird/RC would say is things along the lines of this "well we need to see how this team gels,they havent had enough time to play together".

I dont care you could put Murphy and Dunleavy on a team with Tim Duncan and you wouldnt get a title out of them.And I think that DW/Bird are realizing that.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was surprised how both basically said that they're not happy yet with the team (on the floor), implying to me that there are certain players not doing what they think they need to do.
    I don't know if this is the JMV interview with Bird, but I listened to that and he didn't sound unhappy with the roster, he sounded unhappy with the DEFENSIVE EFFORT.

He said he likes the offense since the trade, he likes the players they have, he just sees that on defense they have issues to solve.

JMV asked specifically about moving players because fans don't like them (Jack and Tins) and he brushed it aside as a non-factor, saying he doesn't listen to that sort of stuff. He said he didn't like some of Jack's antics, but he also didn't like the fans that boo'd Jack at home. The Pacers support the players and they expect the fans to have the same attitude he said, which I took not to mean blind faith but simply to "not say anything if you don't have anything nice to say", ie don't boo because of a situation like that.

He said they are always open to trades that help the team, but they would never just move a guy under contract for no good reason, or more directly they wouldn't cut them.

He mentioned a reason for that being that it's not pleasant to get rid of a guy and then watch him beating your team a week later (pretty obvious what game that referred to).

He mentioned that Dun has been getting good looks but that they just haven't been falling, he thought that would change.

He's very happy with JO's effort, thinks it's his best year, and would like to get the players around him that can help him win.

He said he doesn't mind the tough parts of the job because it all comes with the territory. He also was very complementary of Donnie and what he can and/or has learned from him.

I haven't watched these interviews to compare with those WNDE/JMV interview statements (which were made FRI afternoon). Maybe WNDE has it online or a transcipt? I haven't checked yet, sorry.

The thing that surprised me is the media blitz Donnie and Larry went on yesterday. And how they both used very similar words in some of their answers, even though Larry and Donnie in general speak very differently

Without a trade at the deadline they probably assumed they needed to try and explain their position and/or re-energize the fans a bit letting the fans know even tho we stood pat we aren't done (or at least they aren't any more satisified with where we are than many fans).

IOW- They want the fans to know they see a light at the end of the tunnel... it's not simply complacency.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

[QUOTE=Naptown_Seth;549821]

He mentioned that Dun has been getting good looks but that they just haven't been falling, he thought that would change.

He's a four year career 43% shooter. He's shooting 42% for us. WHy on Gods Green Earth would anyone think that's going to change?????????

[QUOTE=PacerMan;549940]
    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

He's a four year career 43% shooter. He's shooting 42% for us. WHy on Gods Green Earth would anyone think that's going to change?????????

Practice? System? Work ethic?

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well I've been the strongest critic of Dun's shot and surprised by the willingness of some PD members to defend it. But I think Bird might figure that his 2nd and 3rd year looked solid, as did his first month this year. So maybe he dismisses last season as a fluke, situational, maybe even nagging injury.

I'm not saying I buy into it, just that at this point Bird claims to feel like Dun's offense is ready to lock in. He's right about one thing, the dude is getting great looks and he looks great taking them. They just don't go in like those kind of open looks should (ie, see the Raptors FRI night).

I guess it was just a post-trade "sorry we didn't make moves but don't worry" media junket, good point.

I thought Bruno's interview was the best of all the Q&As I heard or read. He talks about the soft media market which Bird laughingly agrees with and then proves it by asking Bird the more challenging interviews than the actual media. It took a Pacers' employee to get me the answer to the question of what the front office would do with Tinsley if he was convicted (suspension).
    Go Pacers!
    Indy Cornrows