Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figure?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figure?

Manning delivered to Indiana what Reggie unfortunately couldn't -- a professional championship. Do you think local fans hold him in higher regard now than Reggie due to the Super Bowl win?

Default Re: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figu

I think it depends on if you're a football fan first, and a basketball fan second, or vice versa.

Myself, I think very highly of Peyton Manning, but Reggie was my Pacers idol when I became a fan. It would take a hell of a lot, and on an NBA court not an NFL field, for me to place anyone in Indy sports above him.

Default Re: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figu

I think Reggie has still got a lot of respect for sticking with the franchise and everything he did. He also probably even took an uptick there once the fans got a look at the Pacers post-Reggie era.

Both guys are winners.

That all said... Undoubtably (IMHO) Peyton stands alone at the top of the pyramid. He helped bring the hardware to Indpls.. He didn't do it by himself but he was a big part of it.

Plus, the SB is much bigger than the NBA championship and the NFL leaves the NBA in the dust as far as 'fan-ship' goes (I think I invented a word!).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

yes, only beacause the national spotlight is all over him

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Manning delivered to Indiana what Reggie unfortunately couldn't -- a professional championship. Do you think local fans hold him in higher regard now than Reggie due to the Super Bowl win?
    No. Flat out no. Reggie did more with less talent....way way way more. I love Peyton, but you can't tell me that field is even. Reggie could have left and gone "title" chasing like GPayton, Karl Malone, etc, etc. Reggie stayed here, and that's why he is my favorite player of all time. If Reggie had Shaq, or Duncan, then he'd be like Kobe and Wade, and have his bling bling. I hate when people assume that Reggie is less great because he didn't get his ring. If anything, it shows how our current Pacers are under performing with more talent. I'd seriously take a bet that the 93-94, 94-95,95-96..on and on Pacers would stomp this current group.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I am not".--Bushwick Bill

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skipddr View Post
    No. Flat out no. Reggie did more with less talent....way way way more. I love Peyton, but you can't tell me that field is even. Reggie could have left and gone "title" chasing like GPayton, Karl Malone, etc, etc. Reggie stayed here, and that's why he is my favorite player of all time. If Reggie had Shaq, or Duncan, then he'd be like Kobe and Wade, and have his bling bling. I hate when people assume that Reggie is less great because he didn't get his ring. If anything, it shows how our current Pacers are under performing with more talent. I'd seriously take a bet that the 93-94, 94-95,95-96..on and on Pacers would stomp this current group.

Come on, when you look at skill level and overall greatness and their respective sports, it's not even close. Manning is superior to Miller. Manning will go down as one of the greatest to play the game. Reggie certainly won't. Manning has 2 MVP's. Was Reggie ever even an all NBA second team member?

Manning will without a doubt be one of the top 3 or 5 players ever in the history of his position. Reggie was never a top 3 player at his position in any of the years he played. Mitch Richmond was probably better at nearly every aspect of the game than Miller, but didn't have any playoff success.

You talk about Reggie never having "the Shaq or Duncan" type of player. Manning is "the Shaq or Duncan" equivilant in the NFL.

I was a huge Reggie fan. But these 2 are on different levels. Peyton is one of the best ever. Reggie isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post

I was a huge Reggie fan. But these 2 are on different levels. Peyton is one of the best ever. Reggie isn't.
    how are you going to say that reggie isnt one of the top 50 greatest of all-time

Wow. I can really understand the argument Adam makes. But . . . at this point I'm not so sure Peyton has surpassed the love this city had for Reggie. In time maybe so but not yet. Reggie gave us more than his performances - he gave us his loyalty.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Reggie also did more with less compared to Peyton Manning.

Endorsements alone should tell you guys something. Reggie's accomplishments aren't diminished by what Peyton has done but I'd bet you right now Peyton is not only more popular overall but probably more popular than Reggie has ever been.

The Super Bowl is huge. Peyton arrived in Miami with some question marks but also several accolades and career achievements already under his belt. He was already considered a HoF lock before the SB win. And his career isn't over.

Maybe Peyton hasn't passed Reggie in the hearts of most Pacer diehards BUT overall, it isn't even close IMHO. You have to be realistic.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sadly, I think we continue to overstate exactly what Reggie accomplished.

I'm not convinced that Manning has surpassed Oscar Robertson, though.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Being even more realistic...
    Reggie's name is at or near the top among the all time Pacer greats.

Peyton's career already has him in the same sentence as the all time NFL greats (at his position). And the Super Bowl win put him in a very select club.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

To me it's not about individual accomplishments. Peyton has already won that battle.

I think it's a personal question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    To me it's not about individual accomplishments. Peyton has already won that battle.

I think it's a personal question.
    Gotta blame Shade for not framing it that way. Shade-

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydawg2270 View Post
    how are you going to say that reggie isnt one of the top 50 greatest of all-time

Reggie being in the top 50 is debatable. It's my opinion that if he wasn't on the official list in 1996, there is certainly no way he belongs on it now. If he is on the list, he's at the very tail end of it.

The point is that when Manning is retired, we won't be debating if he belongs in the top 50 of all time like we are Reggie. That's because he will without a doubt be a top 10, not 50, player.

I think it is generational. The emotional involvement with athletes is different in your teens than your 30's.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

woman without a team

The answer depends on if you define "beloved" as who won more. I don't look at it that way.

For me the only person who could possibly push Reggie off my most beloved pedestal would be Drew Brees. Since he doesn't play here I don't see it happening--ever.

It's all right, Reg. You still got the best jumper in the neighborhood......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    It's all right, Reg. You still got the best jumper in the neighborhood......
    Rub some dirt on it....

------

-John Wooden

The answer to this question will really depend on who you ask. But if you were to take a poll and get just about everyone in the entire city to vote, I'm sure Manning would win by a landslide.

I do think that Reggie did a lot more with a lot less. Manning is playing next to 2 pro bowl WRs, one of whom is likely going straight to the hall of fame once he retires. Give Reggie a supporting cast and you have a championship team.

They both meant different things to this city. COmparing them and their contributions to this city is silly IMO. They both have a special place in my sports memories. They will always be equally great to me. Reggie brought me up as a sports fan and Peyton delivered me my championship. Anyone who was at Reggie's final regular season or playoff game knows how important he was, but at the same time I don't think Peyton is any less important. They both will get their busts in their respective hall of fames.

ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'm glad Peyton won it and everything, but Reggie was one of a kind in his own right. You can't put it into words what Reggie did while he was here for Indiana and for the Pacers. I think Reggie did a lot more than we could have ever asked from him or even give him credit for, with less talent and he never complained once, the guy was class and stood up for and by our fanbase from beginning to end. One of the great things that Reggie brought to the table was he was "clutch" when big games came up and we were down by 2 points or so with the clock winding down in the final minute you had NO DOUBT he was going to hit a 3 and win the game, he was more clutch than any other player I've ever seen play the game. Even colts fans can admit they were sweating a little bit knowing we had to face New England Patriots in the dome for AFC Championship Game. Besides the Pacers took a 62 win season Chicago Bulls led by the greatest player of All Time to 7 games in the 98 playoffs before finally losing, The Bulls than went on to defeat Utah once again in 6, there's no doubt in my mind that if the Pacers had won and went to those Finals Reggie would have had his ring. For all the things Reggie ever did and all the great memories he provided his fans, In my heart he retired just as much a champion as Peyton Manning ever will be.

As Indy's most beloved? Absolutely.

As Pacers fans' (what this board is for)? No.

People love a winner - not that Reggie wasn't but he didn't bring home the ultimate prize.

And of course on a national level it isn't even close but I think everyone knows that.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

i vote manning, but the thing is, it feels like we share manning with the rest of the country. maybe it's all of his commercials or its just the nature of football or whatever. when i think reggie miller, i think indiana. when i think peyton manning, i think football (make any sense?) you would be hard-pressed to go outside of indy to see a reggie miller jersey, not the case with manning. so, i guess i'll change my vote. even though manning is better at his position than reggie was, i don't feel he has passed reggie yet as "indy's most beloved sports figure".

Mood

Yes I think it's safe to say that. Reggie was here longer and some probably are still more attached to Reg but after P's career is over he will easily be the face of Indiana sports. Ofcourse the basketball people may still prefer Reg but Peyton has made hoops fans into football fans as well. That in itself is significant especially since out state is hoop crazy.