Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Gotta say... that's how to win fan support. Win, win, win, and win some more. And do it with classy people that nobody feels guilty for rooting for.

    Anyway, now that the Bowl is over, will Pacer fan support go back up?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Now the Pacers need to win it this year so the media can gush about the same city winning both trophies in the same year.

  3. #3
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta say... that's how to win fan support. Win, win, win, and win some more. And do it with classy people that nobody feels guilty for rooting for.

    Anyway, now that the Bowl is over, will Pacer fan support go back up?
    Slightly... for a little bit. Can they take advantage of it and sustain it? Dunno... the possibility is there.

    Does this change any minds in the hierarchy of the Pacers or will they still wallow in the mindset that we're a small market team and should feel fortunate just to make the playoffs? Can you continue to try and sell that when the team down the street has just won a championship in the most popular sport in America?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Does this make Pacers the #2 team in town? Or were we already?

    (Please bare with me, I'm from "The Garden State")

  5. #5
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,051
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does this make Pacers the #2 team in town? Or were we already?

    (Please bare with me, I'm from "The Garden State")
    The Pacers have been the number 2 team in this town for quite a while now.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers have been the number 2 team in this town for quite a while now.
    What?! No!

    ...




    "WHHHY?!"

  7. #7
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,369

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    If the Colts can do it....it gives me some hope that the Pacers will one day make it to the NBA Finals and win a NBA championship.

    I kid you not.....when the Pacers make it to the NBA finals ( whether it is in 3 months or in the next 30 years )....I will fly to Indy.....catch the 6th game of the series.....and whether we win or lose...I will buy all of you a round of drinks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    The #1 team is whatever team's hot at the moment. It was the Pacers from 1994-2000, for the past 7 years it's been the Colts and looks to remain that way for the foreseeable future. Still, if the Pacers get hot and make a playoff run, they'll be the talk of the town again.

  9. #9
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Colts can do it....it gives me some hope that the Pacers will one day make it to the NBA Finals and win a NBA championship.
    Amen to that! I now have a renewed faith in Indy sports. No matter how bad things get, I can always remember February 4, 2007 and say to myself: "It can happen. It DOES happen. It DID happen!"

  10. #10
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amen to that! I now have a renewed faith in Indy sports. No matter how bad things get, I can always remember February 4, 2007 and say to myself: "It can happen. It DOES happen. It DID happen!"
    And it happened on my birthday

    Pacers attendance typically always gone up once the Colts have had their season end. I know that I have friend who are suddenly coming back to the Pacers. Now they are playing good ball right after the city won a Super Bowl this is prime time to win the fans all the way back.

    ďWE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKINGĒ- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #11
    Member denyfizle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nap Town
    Posts
    1,409
    Mood

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    This is a milestone. We already have the rep for being a great sports state and now we showed the WORLD that a small city can produce world class champions. I look at it this way- I moved from the Philippines just a few years ago and everytime I tell majority of the people from back home I moved to Indianapolis, I always get a repsonse of "where?" or worse "what the heck are you doing in India?" But after last night, my email and myspace blew up with congratulations that my Indianapolis Colts won since I've been an outspoken fan through bulletin boards etc. Now they know where Indianapolis is- it's the home of the WORLD CHAMPION COLTS and Peyton Manning!The NFL is a global product and we just got put on the map in a similar way the Chicago Bulls put chitown on the map.

  12. #12
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slightly... for a little bit. Can they take advantage of it and sustain it? Dunno... the possibility is there.



    -Bball
    I've changed my mind on this. I don't think they're at a point where they could get a boost from it. If the team had been on a month long upswing then there would've been a chance.

    Seeing what I saw Monday in Indy, and Monday night in Conseco, tells me the corner hasn't been turned with fans. It still headed south.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  13. #13

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've changed my mind on this. I don't think they're at a point where they could get a boost from it. If the team had been on a month long upswing then there would've been a chance.

    Seeing what I saw Monday in Indy, and Monday night in Conseco, tells me the corner hasn't been turned with fans. It still headed south.

    -Bball

    Well, the parade was the same day. I think people were "sportsed out".

    Hell, I left a game at halftime for the first time in my life because I ordered the Ultimate Nachos and my stomach hadn't yet recovered from the Super Bowl snack line.

    Feels like I've said this a million times since Monday night, but again:

    Give it Time.

    I for one am waiting a few games to see how the Pacers respond. I think the Warriors game was the perfect storm of bad/weird circumstances and that they will bounce back with a strong win versus Seattle that will trigger a streak of good basketball headed into the Suns game.

  14. #14

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta say... that's how to win fan support. Win, win, win, and win some more. And do it with classy people that nobody feels guilty for rooting for.



  15. #15
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta say... that's how to win fan support. Win, win, win, and win some more. And do it with classy people that nobody feels guilty for rooting for.

    Anyway, now that the Bowl is over, will Pacer fan support go back up?
    I am not a Colts' fan (I am from Buffalo), but I am not sure that I would feel comfortable rooting for them. I hate it when players/coaches/owners thank God (like as if God was pulling for one team over another), and it seems like if you don't vote Republican and go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays they cannot be your team. Never felt that from the Bills, but then again I never felt a Superbowl win either so what do I know. Don't get me wrong, I do like that fact that they seem to mostly be good guys, but I just don't understand what God has to do with one team winning a game over another.

  16. #16
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not a Colts' fan (I am from Buffalo), but I am not sure that I would feel comfortable rooting for them. I hate it when players/coaches/owners thank God (like as if God was pulling for one team over another), and it seems like if you don't vote Republican and go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays they cannot be your team. Never felt that from the Bills, but then again I never felt a Superbowl win either so what do I know. Don't get me wrong, I do like that fact that they seem to mostly be good guys, but I just don't understand what God has to do with one team winning a game over another.
    I think you're missing the point. What they're saying is that you can still win and get to the game like that while remaining Christian and not having to yell and curse your players.

    I never took it as, God gave us this win.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  17. #17
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    I think they are saying they found a common bond in God and that allowed them the strength to 'fight the good fight' in their lives on and off the field and allowed them to get into a position to (potentially) win the Super Bowl (which they did).

    It wasn't that God pulled some strings for them to win.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #18
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    I seem to remember both Tony and Jim Irsay thanking God for the win after the game, just like Mike Davis always used to do. But it is neither here nor there. I really think that Tony is a good guy, but my point was that not everyone agrees with his religious views and they may make some people uncomfortable as they make his political views very public. Also, there is no way that those guys are all the saints that they seem to be in Hoosiers' minds right now. Because of the win, the players seem like gods and saints. I remember thinking that Jim Kelly, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas were above reproach because of the winning, but now we know that Thurman had a drug/alchohol problem and Jim beat his wife when she was pregnant.

    Anyways, to answer the original question, I think that the Pacers will be fine. If fans in Buffalo (a much smaller community and a real football town if there was ever was one) always come to hockey games after football season is over, then Indianapolis will come back to the Pacers. If they go on a nice winning streak they will be fine as there will be no other sporting events to attend.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I seem to remember both Tony and Jim Irsay thanking God for the win after the game, just like Mike Davis always used to do.
    I don't remember Dungy exactly but Irsay said he wanted to use the moment to give Glory to God - he didn't thank him for the win. In fact, my impression was he de-emphasized the win over recognizing God.

    I know that at the celebration Dungy said what he really thanked God for was the opportunity to work with the kind of people he worked with on the Colts and that was much more important to him than winning.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  20. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I seem to remember both Tony and Jim Irsay thanking God for the win after the game, just like Mike Davis always used to do. But it is neither here nor there.
    I don't guess I'm being clear. I understand your point but don't think you're translating their statements in the way they're meant to be taken.

    Regardless of how it is phrased they are saying without God they wouldn't even be here. Plus... God gives them direction. God gives them purpose. And through that (this sense of purpose) He has put them into a position where they could be the best they can be and they were able to win. They're thanking Him for giving them the opportunity, direction, and balance in their life that helped bring the win.

    At least that is how I take it and that is why I don't particularly have a problem with it at all.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #21
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember Dungy exactly but Irsay said he wanted to use the moment to give Glory to God - he didn't thank him for the win. In fact, my impression was he de-emphasized the win over recognizing God.

    I know that at the celebration Dungy said what he really thanked God for was the opportunity to work with the kind of people he worked with on the Colts and that was much more important to him than winning.
    Maybe I heard wrong. I don't know. I did not mean to hijack the thread. My only point is that they don't look so flawless to people that just did not experience a superbowl victory.

    Anyway, the fans will come back to the Pacers. They will always be in second place in Indianapolis for the most part from now on, as every NBA team is in cities that have both leagues. Attendence will be down until football season is over. That's how it is with hockey in Buffalo. There will always be people that like the Pacers more than the Colts (I like the Sabres and Pacers more than the Bills).

    You/we have just stopped being the heartland of basketball and have become like every other football (ugly sport that it is) loving city in America. Indiana has lost the one thing that made it unique and for that I am sad. We might as well be in Texas now.

  22. #22
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    You/we have just stopped being the heartland of basketball and have become like every other football (ugly sport that it is) loving city in America. Indiana has lost the one thing that made it unique and for that I am sad. We might as well be in Texas now.

    The NBA needs to go to class basketball. Maybe divide the teams into 3-4 separate classes depending on the population of the city. That way there would be more champions. It would be more fair that way. And just look to Indiana to see how much more popular that has made HS basketball in Indiana.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    You mean like the NCAA having different levels, so that smaller colleges can compete against similiar sized schools?

    No, that's not a good idea.

    I'm sure Taylor or Huntington could compete with Duke night in and night out.

  24. #24

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA needs to go to class basketball. Maybe divide the teams into 3-4 separate classes depending on the population of the city. That way there would be more champions. It would be more fair that way. And just look to Indiana to see how much more popular that has made HS basketball in Indiana.

    -Bball
    In a sense they have. Look at the Atlantic Division. Class single A
    Out west they have the 4A.

    The others are 2a and 3a.

    I agree that Indiana basketball fell dramatically when they change to a class system. That was the ruination of Indiana Basketball as I knew it growing up.
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

  25. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: What's the effect of this on the Indy Sports Marketplace?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you're missing the point. What they're saying is that you can still win and get to the game like that while remaining Christian and not having to yell and curse your players.

    I never took it as, God gave us this win.
    I'm atheist and even I took it the was LH describes it. Tony is just talking about doing it with those values and believing in his faith. I never heard he or Jim (is his due to a 12 step program? no, seriously) do the "god gave us this win".

    I think the angle on any involvement by god is that it gave them the strength to compete, but with no guarantee of victory.

    Usually I cringe at the "First off, I'd like to thank God" angle, but with Tony/Jim I didn't, especialy not Tony.



    Colts over Pacers? I said in a different thread, in 2003 the Colts had 2 games blacked out due to poor attendance. It's not been that long ago that the Pacers were far more popular and respected than the Colts. The Colts have struggled to keep fans in spite of a stirring 95 run (that next year they struggled to sell out at times), having stars like Dickerson and Faulk, and even during the Manning/Harrison/Edge/Wayne years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •