Thread: Kravitz Article

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Kravitz Article

Bob Kravitz
    It's not saints vs. sinners with Colts and Pacers

Eight hours earlier, we were sitting in the media room at the Colts practice facility, talking about exactly this issue, saying how the fans and media have completely bought into this Pacers and Colts as sinners-and-saints duality.
    "At some point,'' Mike Chappell, The Star's Colts beat writer, said plainly, "that's going to blow up in people's faces.''
    Ka-boom!
    At 3:02 a.m. Tuesday morning, there was Dominic Rhodes, fresh off his MVP-worthy Super Bowl performance and a visit to Disney World, getting pulled over on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

What did Colts coach Tony Dungy say a couple of weeks ago about having a team of players you'd love your son to emulate?
    And is there any way we can pin this one on the Pacers, maybe find a way to prove that Jamaal Tinsley surreptitiously slipped Rhodes a mickey (and we aren't talking about the mouse)?

(In a far less significant matter, one that's more laughable than lamentable, it was learned that Dallas Clark was thrown out of an Iowa high school girls basketball game for allegedly saying the wrong thing to a referee. Not exactly kidnapping the Lindbergh baby, I know.)

Here's what we need to understand -- and when I say "we,'' I'm talking about fans and the media: Neither professional team in this city has a monopoly on morality or immorality. Both teams are populated, by and large, with good people who care about this community. And both teams have guys who don't get it and never will.

The whole saints-versus-sinners comparison offers us a simple-and-easy formula to use when we're playing compare-and-contrast with our pro franchises, and it's especially convenient when we're still giddy after a Super Bowl and inclined to believe only the best things about our conquering heroes. But it's misleading.

The Colts have had their issues over the years. Nick Harper and a domestic incident. Mike Doss and gun-related charges. Joseph Jefferson's drunken driving conviction. DeDe Dorsey's recent arrest for carrying a firearm without a permit. And there have been some others.

Let's not play Compare That Crime here, or diminish a DUI charge as a somehow lesser indiscretion than allegedly participating in a bar fight. Drunk drivers kill people. Bar-room brawlers don't -- generally speaking.

No, Rhodes wasn't hammered, not with a 0.09 percent blood-alcohol level. And yes, when I read about it, I thought, "There, but for the grace of God, go I.'' That, though, doesn't excuse or diminish it, especially coming from a member of a franchise that has chosen to cover itself in a cloak of goodness.

Remember, too, this is the second time around for Rhodes, who is a free agent and will be seeking a bigger deal elsewhere. In 2002, he admitted striking his girlfriend and was placed in a diversion program. If he wasn't gone before this, he is now.
    Ultimately, the bigger point is this: If you think all the Colts are God-fearing boys-next-door types who wouldn't think to jaywalk when nobody was watching, you're misguided.

If you think all the Pacers are lawless, gun-toting bandits intent on shooting up the Westside of Indianapolis, you're misguided.
    One thing I know: This column will be well-read by every member of the Pacers organization. I can promise you, the moment the Rhodes story hit the wires, Pacers management and players were saying, "OK, let's see how the TV stations and the newspaper cover it when it involves the sainted Colts.''

Suffice to say, the Pacers have not been particularly happy with the coverage of the most recent incidents involving their players. They say there's a double standard being exercised in the coverage of the Colts and Pacers -- which is funny, because five or six years ago, the Colts were complaining how the Pacers never had their feet held to the fire. The Pacers say: When it's a Pacer, it's yet another Pacers mishap and it's viewed as a reflection on management. And when it's a Colt, well, it's an aberration, an individual mistake that has no reflection on the organization.

While I'm not ready to buy the Pacers' unspoken contention that they're no worse than the Colts, I'll acknowledge that when it comes to these sorts of issues, the basketball team has been spectacularly unlucky.

All of the Pacers' issues have involved big-name players, starters, whose names get more play because they're part of a smaller roster. And with The Brawl on their resume, and a history that has involved Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson, every subsequent misstep (Club Rio and 8 Seconds Saloon) has confirmed the perception of the Pacers as outlaws.

With the Colts, it has generally involved lesser lights, it has generally happened during the offseason, and it has generally happened in places other than Indianapolis. There was a distressing pattern of legal trouble emerging before the 2005 Colts season -- and we harshly called the team on it, too -- but since then, the incidents have been far less frequent and not nearly as notable.

Saints and sinners.

Good Colts and evil Pacers.

Simple and easy and tidy.

And, as we've seen again, wrong.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1100/SPORTS03

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Re: Kravitz Article

Best piece of writing Kravitz has done in a long while in my opinion. he was well overdue at this point probably the most objective writing he'll do in a LONG time.

Edit: I really can't wait to hear UB's response to this

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's see how the Colts handle this. If it's a slap on the wrist, or like the Pacers, nothing at all, then there's a problem.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's see how the Colts handle this. If it's a slap on the wrist, or like the Pacers, nothing at all, then there's a problem.
    Um, he's not on the team anymore. He's a free agent. So they can't really "do" anything to him.

Maybe re-sign him and then "punish" him or re-sign him for significantly less than he would have made before with a number of contingencies built into the contract, but I doubt they were going to sign him before anyway.
    Narf!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I am moderately impressed. It's the best bit of writing I've seen out of Kravitz in a long time.

And, since perception is reality this might actually help ease the pressure on the Pacers (at least in the local media).
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post

Ultimately, the bigger point is this: If you think all the Colts are God-fearing boys-next-door types who wouldn't think to jaywalk when nobody was watching, you're misguided.

If you think all the Pacers are lawless, gun-toting bandits intent on shooting up the Westside of Indianapolis, you're misguided.

One thing I know: This column will be well-read by every member of the Pacers organization. I can promise you, the moment the Rhodes story hit the wires, Pacers management and players were saying, "OK, let's see how the TV stations and the newspaper cover it when it involves the sainted Colts.''

Suffice to say, the Pacers have not been particularly happy with the coverage of the most recent incidents involving their players. They say there's a double standard being exercised in the coverage of the Colts and Pacers -- which is funny, because five or six years ago, the Colts were complaining how the Pacers never had their feet held to the fire. The Pacers say: When it's a Pacer, it's yet another Pacers mishap and it's viewed as a reflection on management. And when it's a Colt, well, it's an aberration, an individual mistake that has no reflection on the organization.

While I'm not ready to buy the Pacers' unspoken contention that they're no worse than the Colts, I'll acknowledge that when it comes to these sorts of issues, the basketball team has been spectacularly unlucky.
    I know as soon as I heard about this, the very first thought that came into my mind was - how will the media and local fans react to this.

I will give Kravitz this much - he has a good handle on what the Pacers organization feels about all this

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I'm not impressed at all with this column!

The reason is because if you listened to the callers that called into one of the local sports talk shows here in Indy, you would quickly reallize that Kravitz is just taking a side that would get the most reaction.

Yesterday, JMV spent most of the day on "The Drive" fielding phone calls and e-mails going on about how this "Rhodes Situation" is just being overblown by the media. He was kind of going on how it was unfair that the callers spent the better part of 2 days of shows just tee-ing off on Jamaal Tinsley when he has not even been charged with anything at either Rio or 8 Seconds, all the while Rhodes was arrested!!!

It seems to me that Kravitz took the pulse of the callers on both local drive time radio shows and chose a position that would get the most reaction. To most, Jamaal Tinsley and the Pacers are about "undefendable" in the court of public opinion, and that is just unfair and sad!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Rhodes will not be viewed as negatively as Tinsley for several reasons:

1) Rhodes is not one of the top 5 players on the Colts. In fact, he's not even the best running back on the team. Tinsley is our starting PG, which is supposed to be a leadership position.

2) More people have driven drunk than been in bar fights. For that reason, more people can "understand" how someone is busted for DUI.

3) Rhodes always appears to be giving 100%. That is not true of Tinsley.

4) You cannot see Rhode's sour attitude through his helmet.

5) It's hard to pout when your job is to get hit by 250lb men every single play.

6) The Colts won the Super Bowl.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    Um, he's not on the team anymore. He's a free agent. So they can't really "do" anything to him.

Maybe re-sign him and then "punish" him or re-sign him for significantly less than he would have made before with a number of contingencies built into the contract, but I doubt they were going to sign him before anyway.
    I'm thinking that not re-signing him would be a good response. I disagree that they weren't going to re-sign him anyway. Depending on what other offers he gets, I do think they wanted him back. I don't think he will command an outrageous amount on the open market so re-signing him should be an option.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    I'm thinking that not re-signing him would be a good response. I disagree that they weren't going to re-sign him anyway. Depending on what other offers he gets, I do think they wanted him back. I don't think he will command an outrageous amount on the open market so re-signing him should be an option.
    Agree with this and can only add Rhodes did not complain about not being a full time starter though he wanted to.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Rhodes will not be viewed as negatively as Tinsley for several reasons:

6) The Colts won the Super Bowl.

Actually, you can just throw out one thru five because #6 is all you need.