Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: our old man AJ back to the hawks

Default our old man AJ back to the hawks

according to the realgm wiretap AJ got traded to the hawks for a second rounder.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Re: our old man AJ back to the hawks

Ford just reported it too. he said

They just made the first trade of the day sending Anthony Johnson to the Hawks for the Hawks 2007 second round pick. It's a BLOCKBUSTER folks. Hawks fans you can rest easy ... after passing on Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo and Marcus Williams and overpaying Speedy Claxton ... the Hawks have finally solved their point guard woes.

streets ahead

well if this is true at least he'll get minutes. with speedy and lue there? he'll probably be starting..... at least he's well-rested
    This is the darkest timeline.

Wow is that a sign of a good trade ? , When the other team trades away one and is looking to trade the other within the first season of trading for them ?

Don't tell me this will be the only move of the day

Why Not Us ?

Pacers are very quiet. Tins and who else to the Hawks for AJ and the return of our 1st rounder?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

I hope Atlanta cleaned up their culture first.

This confirms to me the things I've seen/read/heard before suggesting trading AJ WAS part of cleaning up the team's chemistry. Not to mention he wasn't being too great for the Mavs, either (I'm still not talking bball).

somebody go to espn.com and get into chad ford's chat and ask him if the pacers have anything in the works, I never have much success with asking questions that get answered but maybe if enough of us do it we'll get some sort of insider info from chad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers were to somehow trade Tinsley to the Hawks while getting AJ in return, I can assure you there would be no problems with AJ and his affect on team chemistry.

Jackson and Tinsley would both be gone. Therefore, there would be no reason for chemistry problems.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Pacers were to somehow trade Tinsley to the Hawks while getting AJ in return, I can assure you there would be no problems with AJ and his affect on team chemistry.

Jackson and Tinsley would both be gone. Therefore, there would be no reason for chemistry problems.
    Dear God, no. I can't stand how AJ "ran" this team.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

wishful thinking beast

edit: I agree with shade

I'm thinking more from the standpoint of a PG who is actually able to guard more than his own shadow while also being able to hit a perimeter shot.

AJ fits that mold much better than Tinsley. As for penetration, I say rely on Marquis. As for passing, rely on MD and JO, with help from AJ every now and then.

Obviously AJ would be much more ideal as a backup than as a starter. But right here, right now, I'd willingly take him over Tinsley. We need defense at the point that badly.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I definitely would welcome AJ back, but of course I would only consider it a one year rental.

EDIT - to add to beast23's list of qualities, AJ is pretty much the only PG Rick Carlisle has ever trusted. HE was also the starting PG during our season-saving streaks both last year and the year before.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'm thinking more from the standpoint of a PG who is actually able to guard more than his own shadow while also being able to hit a perimeter shot.

AJ fits that mold much better than Tinsley. As for penetration, I say rely on Marquis. As for passing, rely on MD and JO, with help from AJ every now and then.

Obviously AJ would be much more ideal as a backup than as a starter. But right here, right now, I'd willingly take him over Tinsley. We need defense at the point that badly.
    SLOG BALL FTW!

I second that completely

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    SLOG BALL FTW!
    Not true - when JO was out in 04/05, we ran a motion offense featuring Reggie with AJ at the point.

In 05/06, again we ran more motion with Peja and once again, AJ was running the point.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

league GMs: Why dont most of us relize that to build a championship team you have to make deals and actively tweak your roster.

Chad Ford: (12:57 PM ET ) There's some truth to what you say. Look at the Pistons in 2004 when they made the bold move of getting Rasheed Wallace. Lots of us criticized it, but it put them over the top. The Heat went through a major overhaul in the summer of 2005 and win it all in 2006. I think that too many GMs are risk adverse. They play it safe with the status quo and tell everyone that they tried to make a deal but couldn't. To me the best GMs are the ones that roll the dice. If I owned a team, I'd want a GM who was bold enough to take a chance at greatness instead of milling around at just about .500 every year. If you look at the best GMs in the league ... Joe Dumars, Donnie Walsh, Jerry West ... they aren't afraid to make a big deal and their teams are usually better off for it.

*gets out history book* This day in history someone from ESPN had something good to say about somethin in the Pacers Organization...duely noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I second that completely
    No, because then JO becomes the scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Not true - when JO was out in 04/05, we ran a motion offense featuring Reggie with AJ at the point.

In 05/06, again we ran more motion with Peja and once again, AJ was running the point.
    ...until AJ decided to dominate the ball.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

poor AJ i feel sorry for him. Who really wants to play for the Hawks lol

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    poor AJ i feel sorry for him. Who really wants to play for the Hawks lol
    Not me.

AJ is to me as Tinsley is to UB.

In other former Pacers news, Fred Jones has been traded for Juan Dixon.

Freddie goes home to Oregon.

Strikes me strange that ex Pacers who were pretty key components in recent history of the team are being traded so quickly and for so little. It helps me realize maybe why the Pacers struggled then.

seems that r not liked that much elsewhere. i remember when fred jones was our solution at the 2 for years to come by some guyz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ...until AJ decided to dominate the ball.
    AJ is the only perimiter player on the Pacers that I can remember in a long time that has actually gotten better as he's gotten older. Yes, he has flaws and yes he's not as "talented" as Tinsley.

AJ is the kind of guy who would throw himself into improving his game as soon as his flaws are exposed. This could include the "dominating" issue you are talking about.

But beyond that, he's the right kind of PG to fill our current deficiencies. He's also a good "face" for the organization compared to Tinsley.

Again, I'd do the deal in a heartbeat.

I would grant this exception - if there is really bad blood over the trade to Dallas, I mean seriously bad, then I understand why the Pacers wouldn't do the deal.

Bill (Austin): Chad what are your thoughts on the Hawks getting Anthony Johnson for the Mavs' second round pick for the 07 draft?

Chad Ford: From ESPN.com's own Nick Silva, our cap guru: "The Hawks-Mavs trade saved Dallas 2.64M in tax for this year and 5.72M next year (2.86M salary + 2.86M tax) and they got the Hawks pick in the second round which is 37 right now and they gained a 2.64M trade exception."

Once again Billy Knight is helping out one of the best teams in the league. He needs a lifetime achievement award.
    Ouch.. that hurts

Why Not Us ?