Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinsley and Daniels to be booked in the county jail

Default Re: Tinsley and Daniels to be booked in the county jail tonight

Guilty = voided contracts. I'll back Tinsley and Daniels until proven guilty. But if they're guilty, they need to be gone one way or another. There's no place here for this nonsense. If they're not guilty, they still need to be traded at some point. Reason being, just like in Jackson's case things can only get better with a change of scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that the public has rushed to judgement. People are really good at that.
    It's not a hoosier thing .

Why Not Us ?

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

I think that the public has rushed to judgement. Hoosiers are really good at that.
    Hmmm. Hardly a characteristic exclusive to "Hoosiers".

What a bummer. Another distraction from basketball. Hope they are found not guilty.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    It's not a hoosier thing .
    You're right. I overreacted. I have a tendency to do that. It's just that the franchise had better be careful. They are guilty in most people's minds and already the butt of jokes. They need to cut ties right now, not because it is the right thing to do but because they need to for PR sake. But they are not going to and we will end up losing this team and no one will care.

You're right. I overreacted. I have a tendency to do that. It's just that the franchise had better be careful. They are guilty in most people's minds and already the butt of jokes. They need to cut ties right now, not because it is the right thing to do but because they need to for PR sake. But they are not going to and we will end up losing this team and no one will care.
    You just overreacted again

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Just in time for the most critical 24 hours in Trade negotiations.

That's all I could think of when I heard the news.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    If this Brizzi character is seriously stopping them from playing tonight or wants them seriously to report on a gamenight then I don't need anymore "proof" of anything.

Tell the man I'll gladly make a website for his political ambitions

You have accusations for everyone but Tinsley and Daniels, don't you?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Screw Brizzi.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    You have accusations for everyone but Tinsley and Daniels, don't you?
    They don't need mine, they have Brizzi and Bball

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Screw Brizzi.
    He is just doing his job.... Tinsley and Daniels are the ones that got themselves into this situation... What b/c they are Indiana Pacers he is supposed to look the other way or something???
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

My guess is the Pacers saw how the Colts were being embarassed and not to be outdone ended up embarassing themselves even more. I guess on the bright side this shows that our team is competitive.

Edit: In the by the way department anybody good at photoshop willing to make me an avatar of this picture of tinsley but instead of the pinstripe suit edit it so that it's a prison suit with stripes?

There wasn't much doubt that the grand jury would return indictments. Given the high profile of the people involved, to not indict then would make it look like preferential treatment, right or wrong. The grand jury is made up of people who's identities are protected, if I'm not mistaken, but given the apparent witness testimony I don't think it was possible for it to not go to trial.

The story being put forth seems very fishy to me. I just can't see Tinsley reacting that way without provocation. Being accidentally pushed or even accidentally hit while the manager is in the process of defending the patrons' personal property, possibly even Tinsley's or others from their party would seem to lend an air of forgiveness, not outright assault.

Having said all that, I still don't like Tinsley. I like him even less for his name being associated with this. I don't like his game most of the time, so I am certainly a little biased. I like Daniels' game, and I like him less for HIS name being involved in something like this again, so I would take my bias against Tinsley with a grain of salt.

Tinsley is one of those players full of "I wish"'s. I wish he had been more healthy in previous seasons, I wish he were more consistent. I wish he wouldn't have his name involved in every black-eye/blemish/embarrassment incident that comes up....etc., etc., etc.....

One other thing that bothers me about this is certain posters unwavering ability to rationalize away and deflect all possibility of the players' guilt. It really is a clinical exercise studying the posting habits of certain people. It has become so predictable, that during the pregame show, as I was taking a break from painting, I heard the news that Tinsley and Daniels had been charged. My VERY first thought was to log on to PD to see what wonderfully supportive posts had already been made in support of our White Knight, Jamaal Tinsley....This is part of what makes PD less desirable to me....It is a good thing that I have been way too busy to come here very often, and I wasn't bummed that I couldn't log on during pregame to check my suspicions because I had stuff I just HAD to get done...

Don't get me wrong, I still like this place, and I like most of the people here. I would go so far as to say 90-95%....I still like coming to one place to get most of the Pacers info I crave. It just gets cumbersome reading posts by people so blind with love, they can't even begin to fathom that there is any other solution than outright conspiracy at all levels to undermine the wonderful human being that is Jamaal....

(sigh)...maybe it's just ME...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    They don't need mine, they have Brizzi and Bball

I like Marquis for the team.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What is fishy for me is the fact that the strongest charge is the felony charge for "intimdation". Look, if Tinsley and Daniels were just kicking this guys *** without provication, there would be an "Assault" charge and that is a very strong felony.

So, this "grand jury" only comming up with a felony charge on "intimidation" is very telling that there really isn't much proof, witnesses, or evidence to make this incident more then just bad P.R. and a media field day for the prosecutor's office.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I just wonder if every bar fight in the city of Indianapolis will go to a grand jury now. Is this a new policy and if so I simply don't see how the legal system can keep up with these and all the serious cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    What is fishy for me is the fact that the strongest charge is the felony charge for "intimdation". Look, if Tinsley and Daniels were just kicking this guys *** without provication, there would be an "Assault" charge and that is a very strong felony.

So, this "grand jury" only comming up with a felony charge on "intimidation" is very telling that there really isn't much proof, witnesses, or evidence to make this incident more then just bad P.R. and a media field day for the prosecutor's office.
    Just keeping everyone clear here:
    Assault is threatening words. Battery is physical contact. Most people get those confused in regards to legal charges because in general lanquage people will typically call a physical confrontation an assault. That's NOT the legal definition.

Both players ARE charged with battery (which means they are accused of physically confronting someone). Neither is charged with assault... And I'm not clear on the difference in an "Intimidation" charge as compared to an "Assault" charge. It very well could be "Intimidation" is either a wider (or maybe more narrow) form of an "assault" charge.

So, I wouldn't read too much into the strength (or lack thereof) of the case based on the charges.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

OK... I've looked it up. For all intents and purposes, "Intimidation" is "Assault" but filters things a bit to fit certain scenarios. If you can charge "Intimidation" then "Assault" would be redundant.

[b] IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    35-45-2-1 Sec.
    1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;
    (2) that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act; or
    (3) of causing:
    (A) a dwelling, a building, or another structure; or
    (B) a vehicle;
    to be evacuated;
    commits intimidation, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense is a:
    (1) Class D felony if:
    (A) the threat is to commit a forcible felony;
    (B) the person to whom the threat is communicated:
    (i) is a law enforcement officer;
    (ii) is a judge or bailiff of any court;
    (iii) is a witness (or the spouse or child of a witness) in any pending criminal proceeding against the person making the threat;
    (iv) is an employee of a school corporation;
    (v) is a community policing volunteer;
    (vi) is an employee of a court;
    (vii) is an employee of a probation department; or
    (viii) is an employee of a community corrections program.
    (C) the person has a prior unrelated conviction for an offense under this section concerning the same victim; or
    (D) the threat is communicated using property, including electronic equipment or systems, of a school corporation or other governmental entity; and
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing it, the person draws or uses a deadly weapon.
    (c) "Threat" means an expression, by words or action, of an intention to:
    (1) unlawfully injure the person threatened or another person, or damage property;
    (2) unlawfully subject a person to physical confinement or restraint;
    (3) commit a crime;
    (4) unlawfully withhold official action, or cause such withholding;
    (5) unlawfully withhold testimony or information with respect to another person's legal claim or defense, except for a reasonable claim for witness fees or expenses;
    (6) expose the person threatened to hatred, contempt, disgrace, or ridicule;
    (7) falsely harm the credit or business reputation of the person threatened; or
    (8) cause the evacuation of a dwelling, a building, another structure, or a vehicle.

------

-John Wooden

Default Re: Tinsley and Daniels to be booked in the county jail

Wow...this is a lot more serious than I originally thought. Crap.

Earlier today on The Drive JMV had a lawyer call in and say "A grand jury indictment means nothing. A prosecutor could get an indictment on a ham sandwich if he tried hard enough."

My guess is that the D.A. trots out only the witnesses that claimed to see the Pacers players do something, then ask the grand jury if they should go to trial. Of course, the jurors said yes.

I also don't see how the story fits. They're trying to claim that Tinsley threatened to kill a guy because he bumped into Tinsley while fighting a guy over some coats? And then Tinsley and Marquis and McLeod's relative beat the guy's ***?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I just wonder if every bar fight in the city of Indianapolis will go to a grand jury now. Is this a new policy and if so I simply don't see how the legal system can keep up with these and all the serious cases.
    Those were my exact thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    OK... I've looked it up. For all intents and purposes, "Intimidation" is "Assault" but filters things a bit to fit certain scenarios. If you can charge "Intimidation" then "Assault" would be redundant.

[b] IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    35-45-2-1 Sec.
    1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:
    (1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;
    (2) that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act; or
    (3) of causing:
    (A) a dwelling, a building, or another structure; or
    (B) a vehicle;
    to be evacuated;
    commits intimidation, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense is a:
    (1) Class D felony if:
    (A) the threat is to commit a forcible felony;
    (B) the person to whom the threat is communicated:
    (i) is a law enforcement officer;
    (ii) is a judge or bailiff of any court;
    (iii) is a witness (or the spouse or child of a witness) in any pending criminal proceeding against the person making the threat;
    (iv) is an employee of a school corporation;
    (v) is a community policing volunteer;
    (vi) is an employee of a court;
    (vii) is an employee of a probation department; or
    (viii) is an employee of a community corrections program.
    (C) the person has a prior unrelated conviction for an offense under this section concerning the same victim; or
    (D) the threat is communicated using property, including electronic equipment or systems, of a school corporation or other governmental entity; and
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing it, the person draws or uses a deadly weapon.
    (c) "Threat" means an expression, by words or action, of an intention to:
    (1) unlawfully injure the person threatened or another person, or damage property;
    (2) unlawfully subject a person to physical confinement or restraint;
    (3) commit a crime;
    (4) unlawfully withhold official action, or cause such withholding;
    (5) unlawfully withhold testimony or information with respect to another person's legal claim or defense, except for a reasonable claim for witness fees or expenses;
    (6) expose the person threatened to hatred, contempt, disgrace, or ridicule;
    (7) falsely harm the credit or business reputation of the person threatened; or
    (8) cause the evacuation of a dwelling, a building, another structure, or a vehicle.
    Thanks, bball, you saved me the time and effort! As someone who files batteries and intimidation charges literally ever day, I can tell you intimdation is an EASY charge to file. Most people don't realize they're doing it when they commit the charge.

"You F'ing touch my car, I'll kill you!"

"If you call the police, I'll break into your house after they leave."

"If you don't pay me my money, I'll steal your car back."

You're threatening to commit a felony (Murder, burglary, auto theft, respectively), in response to someone doing something they have a legal right to do (touch the car, call 911, not pay more money than agreed upon.)

The difference between "I'll blow your house up" and 'I'll blow your house up IF..." is HUGE.

Intimidation is a big scary, lower tier felony charge that's extremely easy to make, when you have witnesses. You almost HAVE to file it when threats are made, along with violence.

I think the name GRAND JURY is where people get tripped up. They hear Jury and make a rush to judgement. "Oh my garsh! It's a GRAND JURY. THey decide guilt or innosense." Nope all they do is say whether there is a factual basis to go forward with an actual trial. All the GJ does is reccomend that the case be tried or not. That's all. yeah, they can indict a ham sandwhich, if needed, lol, but ultimately what you want to hear is if there is factual basis to go forward with an actual trial.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

This whole thing stinks, sounds like this Brizzi cat is trying to make a name for himself.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The man suspected of trying to steal fur coats escaped.
    How ironic. That line just cracked me up for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Wow...this is a lot more serious than I originally thought. Crap.
    No it's not. As mentioned, all they did was decide to send it to trial. Apparently the GJ felt they had shown enough evidence to be worth the city's/county's money to hear the case.

They've used the verbal threat to ramp it up and it looks nice and showy. At worst Tins said "I'll kill you" in some context of anger and then punched the guy. It's a fight. How many fights don't involve the words "I'll kill you" or some variation.

I just don't get the pub on this. The LEADER item on RTV last night was 5 minutes of "Pacers brought up on felony chargeS", as in plural, as in both Pacers too. Why? You have one simple class D stretch (I realize as Ech points out that it's not a stretch in everyday legal practice sense, just that there are felonies and then there are felonies) and that turns into 15% of your news coverage at least?

Meanwhile a guy is KILLED while shooting at cops at the McDonald's across the street from Greenwood Mall and at one of the busier intersections in town and it gets at most the same amount of coverage the next day. What is it with the local media going crazy with a story that was already written many weeks ago (when 8 Seconds actually occurred) or a .09 Rhodes DUI?

If Rhodes got out, went on a Jew hating rant ala Gibson, punched a cop, swerved into the median or some other "wow, I can't believe someone did that" then I could see the gasp-induced reporting.

But a story that is basically "well, the judicial system didn't come to a halt for the Pacers" making almost bigger news than the night the fight went down? Not them being found guilty mind you. Just more of what we already knew. In fact people posting here in response to this from either side (mad at prosecution or the Pacers) just proved my point, that the news created a story from nothing. Nothing new happened, but people think something did. "oh, there are the Pacers, in the news again". Not again, still the same old story.

It just gets cumbersome reading posts by people so blind with love, they can't even begin to fathom that there is any other solution than outright conspiracy at all levels to undermine the wonderful human being that is Jamaal....
    I've been pretty verbal about this whole thing being blown way out of proportion, so I suspect I might be one of the posters you mean. But if so you have misread my points. I defend Tins in the sense that he's NOT GUILTY yet, that's all. If it were your family or friend on trial you would certainly want that same treatment (innocent till proven guilty).

Tins isn't family, my point is just that it's socially irresponsible not to afford everyone the same rights of innocence. And my other point has been to wonder why the hiccups that are Pacers incidents are turned into Indy's version of Jamal Lewis getting 4 months for a major drug deal.

Stuff happens in Indy that is a 10 in the hype dept here but would hit about 3 in a lot of other cities.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

As a follow-up, expect Rhodes pleading and getting probation, fine and alcoholism classes to be 5 minutes of news time in 6 months...if Brizzi has it then it will probably get done on opening day of the Colts regular season in fact. Huge, major news about Rhodes "at it again" even though it's still the same old DUI story coming to completion.

Let's burn her for being a witch.
    We already burned her.
    Burn her again then, I need something to talk about at the water cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    As a follow-up, expect Rhodes pleading and getting probation, fine and alcoholism classes to be 5 minutes of news time in 6 months...if Brizzi has it then it will probably get done on opening day of the Colts regular season in fact. Huge, major news about Rhodes "at it again" even though it's still the same old DUI story coming to completion.

Let's burn her for being a witch.
    We already burned her.
    Burn her again then, I need something to talk about at the water cooler.

At .09, depending on whether he took advantage of his right to remain silent or not (and what he might've said), AND considering his wallet size, I could see this being fought with at least a decent possibility of it being beaten or lesser charges offered.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden