Thread: Anyone Else Wish We Would've Taken Gerald Green?

Question Anyone Else Wish We Would've Taken Gerald Green?

I know Granger is very nice player and was a big steal at #17, but I think his peak is as a great role player, not the All-Star level some of you think he'll be. And even if he does make an All-Star team, I think it'll be one of these one-and-done scenarios as opposed to being a perennial All-Star. On the other hand, I think Gerald Green has superstar potential based on his size, athleticism, and skill set.

Basically - I feel Granger is a future Richard Jefferson-level player, whereas Green can reach the level of a guy like Tracy McGrady. Semi-star vs Superstar.

Anyone else feel this way? Be honest.

Default Re: Anyone Else Wish We Would've Taken Gerald Green?

Green is undoubtedly a great athlete. On draft night as the Pacers pick approached I kept hoping we would be able to get Granger or Green. I never expected to have both to pick from.

I think Danny has better basketball skills though, and I'm not sure that Green will ever close that gap. Danny has a better shot (by far) and more court sense (higher bball IQ).

I'm happy with Danny and think that in a structured system like Carlisle's he will always be the better player.

Sorry buddy, I cannot agree with you on this one, no way. Green is athletic, has size, and yes he can dunk. But I think Danny is the better player. Green very well may become great, but being able to dunk the ball with style doesn't make him better than Danny. If he is going to be that good, than he is a few years behind Danny. I also think that people are selling Danny short on being an All-Star. No one thought he had a three point shot, until he came out and started hitting them this year. I think he is the kind of player that will work is way into being an All-Star. Just give him time.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, I can honestly say I do not.

Danny Granger, while I agree is not going to be a perrennial All-Star, is going to be a good player for a long time to come.

Why? Simple.

He doesn't rely on athletiscm. He plays smart, efficient basketball. He knows the game.

Gerald Greene while being a tremedous atheletic talent, is one knee injury away from ruining his young career. That was always Bender's problem, well that and lack of desire, was that he didn't know how to play basketball. He was a track star who grew too tall.

Danny is a player who will be able to contribute well into his 30's.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

His dunks don't make him better than Granger. But he's a better shooter and has more upside.

Granger was the safe pick, but I really wanted Green. Disappointed as hell that Bird didn't take him after saying that he would if he was available.

I agree, though, that people are incorrectly setting the bar too low on Granger's cieling. He has star potential. But Green has superstar potential.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His dunks don't make him better than Granger. But he's a better shooter.
    How so? they are virtually identical from 3-point range (41%, 40%) and from the FT line (78%, 77%). Danny has a better overall FG percentage 47%-43% because he has a postup game and doesn't rely on just making jumpers and dunks.

I think Granger's floor is Richard Jefferson. I think Granger will likely become a Shawn Marion. I think the ceiling is Scottie Pippen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    I think Granger's floor is Richard Jefferson. I think Granger will likely become a Shawn Marion. I think the ceiling is Scottie Pippen.
    Decent assessment. However I think I would put Marion as his ceiling. Scottie had that killer instinct that Danny has yet to demonstrate, until he does that will be the seperater because Danny has all the tools.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Decent assessment. However I think I would put Marion as his ceiling. Scottie had that killer instinct that Danny has yet to demonstrate, until he does that will be the seperater because Danny has all the tools.

The same killer instinct that lead Scottie to bench himself with one second left in a playoff game?

Seriously, the key word is 'yet'. That's why Scottie is the ceiling. We don't know enough to determine if Pippen is out of reach for Danny.

I'd rather have Granger - he's a sure thing. Green - who knows. However - yes there is a decent chance Green might become a better player than Granger. But there is a 100% chance that Granger is a pretty good player right now.

edit: oops, I must have been thinking of Orien Greene.

Granger doesn't have the passing ability of either Jefferson or Pippen. He's also sort of slow-footed. So he doesn't have the raw athleticism of those guys or of Marion. This is not to discredit Granger. As I said above, he's got star potential.

UB, there's no "e" at the end of Gerald's last name.

How so? they are virtually identical from 3-point range (41%, 40%) and from the FT line (78%, 77%).
    Well, Gerald Green is almost three years younger and just starting to get minutes. That their shooting numbers are similair shows a lot, as does watching each of them and their form. I don't mean to imply that Green will ever be a higher percentage shooter, but he'll be a better scorer, of that I'm 100% sure.

I can compare Green to a young TMac. Danny Granger, I think, will be Danny Granger. I don't see a valid comparison to Jefferson, Pippen, Marion, etc.

I think he'll be a 20 PPG/7 RPG type. If he develops a killer instinct, he'll take the next step and be a franchise/upper echelon player.

Gerald Green is a great athlete and shooter but he is not like T-Mac at all. There is a huge gap in bball IQ as well as in leadership and distributive capability.

Who here is willing to bet Green doesn't pan out in Boston and they trade him and he breaks out? I don't think he's going to be a super star, but I think Green could easily become an all-star player. Like others have said, he has superior athleticism to many guys in the league..but he just needs to learn to play smart basketball...and that starts with a good head coach...which Boston really does not have.

I have no regrets about taking Danny Granger at all.

Gerald is a great talent, I think he is going to be a fine player. Maybe even better than Granger. However Danny is a good player right now and is only going to get better. I'm happy with him.

I don't know that I'd call the young TMac a great leader with great bball IQ and distributive ability.

But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan83
    Anyone Else Wish We Would've Taken Gerald Green?
    Nope. You're on your own here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Remember we went into the draft that year saying we wanted to get someone that is ready to play and contribute right now. Granger and his 4 years of college experience fit the bill. Green was a little risky. Don't forget Boston had to send him to the D-League 1 or 2 times though, they were short stints.

Watch any Celtics game. Watch Green on defense. Then watch Green try to understand the movement of the offense. He may be three years in age behind Danny, but he is light years away in understanding the game. He's a guy that can jump out of the gym and hit an open J. That's it.

First, obviously I am pleased with Mr. Granger. He's my favorite Pacer. I do believe he will make the all star team in a couple years if he continues on course. However, on draft night, I wanted us to pick Gerald. At the time, we had the volatile Ron Artest as our SF...so I could understand the pick, but I thought Gerald had true superstar SG potential. ...and I still do. Anyone with his gift of shooting the ball, with length and tremendous athleticism has a ton of potential to be a 25ppg or more scorer in this league. I don't buy that he's that far away either. By next year, he will be putting up 15+ ppg. He's already improved his numbers since the beginning of January. His last game he went 5-5 from 3 and scored 21 points...and he averages better than 40% from 3 for the season. This guy will be a scoring machine ala McGrady. No doubt about it.

I think the Pacers, given their history of high school players (Al, Jax, Jon) will be leery of drafting one again unless they can afford to wait on them developing and/or they are pretty much a 'sure thing'. Injuries ruined Bender's career, but even before that it was pretty apparent that there was no BB I.Q. to speak of. Likewise with Al and Jax, it was all about street ball and their own stats...both of these guys would have likely benefitted by going to college, not necessarily to improve their skills but to learn structure, fundamentals, and a team concept. I can actually imagine Jax being a decent player had he played for Coach K, who would have yanked him in a minute if he had jacked up stupid shots outside the offense. As it is, Jax will no doubt average 20 + ppg from now on...but his team will go nowhere.

Count me amongst those who would NOT have taken Green. I'm always skeptical of young guys who rely on athleticism. I wonder about their basketball IQ, as pacertom mentioned. I look at Green and wonder if he'll be a Stromile Swift type: all skill but not able to put it together. Jury's still out of course, but I don't regret not getting him. I think he's a loOOOg way from really contributing..still.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?