Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, I'm ready to hear some people say "we were wrong about the Colts"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Okay, I'm ready to hear some people say "we were wrong about the Colts"

Colts = class and no problems, Pacers = problem children

Um, yeah.
    DUI + 26 mph over the limit for Rhodes
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS03/70220020

And Dallas Clark got himself kicked out of a GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL basketball game just to spice things up.
    http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...00413/-1/ENT06

(being sarcasm that most of the posters missed before I edited this comment in)
    Wow, it's so tough rooting for those Colts thugs. Personally I won't return to the dome till they cut both of these bad seeds. At least when Jack or Tins argued with a basketball ref they were actually playing...and it wasn't girls high school.

I hope Irsay does the right thing and cleans house. These 2 and Mike Doss all must go, I've had enough of the outrageous, thuggish behavior. I would rather the Colts play the "right way" than win SuperBowls at any cost.

(end of bitter sarcasm)

Seriously, there are some voices here at PD that have some explaining to do right about now. Lots of big talk that at least of few of us correctly called BS on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Okay, I'm ready to hear some people say "we were wrong about the Colts"

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Um, yeah.

And Dallas Clark got himself kicked out of a GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL basketball game just to spice things up.

Wow, it's so tough rooting for those Colts thugs. Personally I won't return to the dome till they cut both of these bad seeds. At least when Jack or Tins argued with a basketball ref they were actually playing...and it wasn't girls high school.

I hope Irsay does the right thing and cleans house. These 2 and Mike Doss all must go, I've had enough of the outrageous, thuggish behavior. I would rather the Colts play the "right way" than win SuperBowls at any cost.

(end of bitter sarcasm)

Seriously, there are some voices here at PD that have some explaining to do right about now. Lots of big talk that at least of few of us correctly called BS on.
    Well at least the Colts thugs are winners.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Default Re: Okay, I'm ready to hear some people say "we were wrong about the Colts"

Mike Jorgensen, Southeast Webster-Grand school superintendent and girls' basketball coach, said he knew Clark had to leave but did not notice any major disturbances.

"I didn't see it happen or hear anything because of the game," Jorgensen said of Clark. "All I know was that he was asked to leave. I didn't notice any kind of behavior that you would call disruptive."

Troy Dannen, executive secretary of the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, said Monday night that he had received no report from school officials or the officiating crew of an ejection. Dannen said that the union's office is to be notified of any ejection that occurs during postseason play.

"We will be looking into this to find out what transpired," Dannen said
    Ok Seth I thought you were joking are people really bitter towards the Colts success and clean image ?

One Colts FA commits a DUI and now they are the Bengals? :.

I think a little perspective is needed. The Colts as a whole have conducted themeselves like gentlemen with few exceptions for quite some time. There is no arguing that fact. Sure with any Franchise as with any company there are going to be a few hiccups,but the Colts have had a less than average rate of these indcidents. If someone claims the Colts are not a class organization I would sure like to see the proof in the pudding, and no one need apologize for calling them just that.

I for one am an avid fan of both and don't feel I have to bring down one to justify the other. Sure as human beings there is going to be some bias given the recent past. I hope both teams manage to stay out the headlines for all the wrong reasons, and whatever consequences result from not doing so are well deserved, regardless the player or team.

As an aside I have little tolerance for any alcohol related crimes and the danger they pose to innocent victims. If Rhodes is guilty of this I hope he is convicted to the full extent of the law, like any other individual.

Why Not Us ?

I don't think anyone ever said that the Colts were completely problem-free angels. They just look that way compared to the Pacers. The Colts winning the Super Bowl around the time that 8 seconds happened didn't help that comparison.

These two Colts incidents happened in the off-season (unlike the Brawl, Club Rio, and 8 seconds). They weren't preparing for a game on Sunday. Oh, and the Colts don't have a massive image problem that they're trying to improve.

I admit, it's unfair to call the Pacers "thugs." But the Brawl was a huge black eye that the Pacers are STILL trying to recover from, PR-wise. Continuing to get into trouble as the result of bad judgment isn't going to help that, it's only going to make it worse.

When Colts players start to average at least one or two bad PR incidents a year, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Well at least the Colts thugs are winners.
    And that is the point.

I don't think it matters one bit what these guys do on their own time. While I was looking up this story I came across this.

Scroll down to good guy roster

My Burgaled Post #26

Talk about plagiaristic! He even copied my disclaimer about lifting the Rhodes charges due to length.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I don't think it matters one bit what these guys do on their own time. While I was looking up this story I came across this.

Scroll down to good guy roster

My Burgaled Post #26

Talk about plagiaristic! He even copied my disclaimer about lifting the Rhodes charges due to length.
    Nice. Maybe that's VAPacersFan just spreading your word to the masses?

BTW, since Frank has clearly missed my point (which I thought "bitter sarcasm" mixed no words about), it's not that I think those things about the Colts, it's that Goldfoot, myself and a few other posters who said "back off the crap 'Colts are clean, Pacers are thugs because it's BS' were right.

I used the phrasing that some PD posters (including some long time posters) have put up in regards to the Pacers off-court issues - "I won't support them till they trade Tins, Jack, JO, Quis, Boomer and anyone else that looks at me funny or calls me Francis...you just made the list". They love the "clean" Colts and hate the "thug" Pacers.

Turns out they aren't all that different. We all saw the brawl and we all saw a crowd that was out of control and throwing things BEFORE any Pacer did anything wrong.

The Rio case isn't done yet, but we know that at least one of the people against the Pacers was already convicted (Dino).

8 Seconds has apparently turned out to be a non-story at this point.

And using those 3 items it's the PACERS who have been turned into the Bengals by their own "fans". The Colts have dealt with just as many issues in the same time frame and frankly it's just as meaningless to me.

I'm not even upset at the Rhodes DUI. Freaking .09 wasn't even illegal a couple of years ago (and fatalities associated with DUI wrecks don't even rise above the sober fatal wreck rates till you get out to about .12 or so). And I go 81 in a 55 on I-65 EVERY day, along with 1000's of other Hoosiers.

Ummm the Pacers have had attitude, discipline, and behavioral problems ON the court and OFF the court.

That's a big difference for me.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can I just say that I really don't care about either the Pacers or the Colts players issues that happen outside the Arena/Stadium.

The unfortunate thing about the whole Rhodes situation was when I was listening to a local morning radio show (Stuck and Gunner on X103)...they were saying that since D. Rhodes was a free agent that was "in trouble", he might NOW eligible to be getting a look from DW and LB.

I guess I was the only person on my jobsite this really pissed off, because all I could hear was laughter.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I hope Dallas Clark is kicked off that team for yelling at a ref and posing for pictures and signing autographs.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Nice. Maybe that's VAPacersFan just spreading your word to the masses?

BTW, since Frank has clearly missed my point (which I thought "bitter sarcasm" mixed no words about), it's not that I think those things about the Colts, it's that Goldfoot, myself and a few other posters who said "back off the crap 'Colts are clean, Pacers are thugs because it's BS' were right.

I used the phrasing that some PD posters (including some long time posters) have put up in regards to the Pacers off-court issues - "I won't support them till they trade Tins, Jack, JO, Quis, Boomer and anyone else that looks at me funny or calls me Francis...you just made the list". They love the "clean" Colts and hate the "thug" Pacers.

Turns out they aren't all that different. We all saw the brawl and we all saw a crowd that was out of control and throwing things BEFORE any Pacer did anything wrong.

The Rio case isn't done yet, but we know that at least one of the people against the Pacers was already convicted (Dino).

8 Seconds has apparently turned out to be a non-story at this point.

And using those 3 items it's the PACERS who have been turned into the Bengals by their own "fans". The Colts have dealt with just as many issues in the same time frame and frankly it's just as meaningless to me.

I'm not even upset at the Rhodes DUI. Freaking .09 wasn't even illegal a couple of years ago (and fatalities associated with DUI wrecks don't even rise above the sober fatal wreck rates till you get out to about .12 or so). And I go 81 in a 55 on I-65 EVERY day, along with 1000's of other Hoosiers.
    Ahh. very well then, I was thinking to myself usually Seth is one of the rational one's I agree with, I saw the sarcasm noted.

I thought the point you were tring to make was "see the Colts are just as bad as the Pacers right now:"

If you are saying see the Colts are not without blemish they're human too, of course I can agree with that

I was not one to think or say the Pacers are thugs but , i certainly have heard my share of that opinion around the "watercooler".Which upsets me, but it is hard to defend some of the players actions, to my casual Pacer fan friends. So I can see if you're trying to make a certain point on how unfairly the Pacers are portrayed vs the Colts.

My only concern was let's not look for any small oppurtunity to reveal the Colts' dirt just to deflect the criticism from the Pacers, when it comes to specific incidents. And yes right now the Colts do get a free pass to some degree, based from perception, continued success, and now a SB win to boot.

Why Not Us ?

Nope. I'm with Gnome in general here. Some outside issues might put me off of a player, as a Yanks fan I love Gehrig, lukewarm only on Ruth, for exactly the personality/good guy aspect.

But I just think the Pacers are WAY WAY over the top in terms of how they are portrayed. Like Gnome mentioned, Rhodes DUI makes him "Pacers" eligible.

I heard Tony Bruno (who I think is great btw) even throwing the Pacers out as a Bengals type of franchise. It's been 3 things, 2 of which seem clearly to not really have been a Pacers issue.

We all know that ESPN went from "Detroit fans" to "Pacers gone wild" in 24 hours.

There is something about this market to be honest, it's like any hype is good hype and they press these stories to the national level. Because really since when did a freaking .09 DUI become a scandal?

I could DUI test Colts fans leaving the dome and pull in I'd bet at least 30% of them for a DUI that high. Rhodes messed up only by speeding to get pulled over in the first place or by not leaving perhaps just 30 minutes later when his level was down to .08.

And as for 80 on I-65, you could yank down another 20% of drivers everyday on 65, 70, 465 for the same infraction (in a 55).

Yet this got the pub on par with Jamal Lewis. We all remember him right, jail time Lewis, major DRUG DEAL Lewis.

I mean how are the Pacers more infamous than the RAVENS right now. No MURDER, no DRUG DEALS. And neither of those were alleged incidents, those things happened. Guys that fled with Ray Lewis and those guys interacted physically with guys that ended up dead because of it. And both Ray and Jamal are still KEY players on that team even.

The Pacers have a bunch of sleepy-town non-issues that the locals try to pretend are on par with the big time stories in the nation. They aren't.

Freaking Pac Man Jones has more issues by himself than the Pacers do. Payton, Sam Cassell just now got cleared on their own strip club fight...and isn't it odd that NO ONE IN THE COUNTRY even noted the connection between the Pacers at Rio and the pending strip club "out of control brawl" involving Payton/Cassell?

Why is that? Why do we still hear about DET even after Ron was gone, even after Jack was gone, but when something the Pacers are involved in is oddly similar to something that happened to some other NBA players just a few years before (and wasn't resolved yet) we heard nothing?

That's why Pacers fans feel the way they do about the team, because everyone is saying over and over "oh, they are awful". Not according to their rap sheet they aren't. They are at best a .500 ball club in terms of incidents, same as on court.

And BBall, its about time you watched some NBA besides the Pacers...Denver Nuggets, NY Knicks mean anything? How about Raja Bell? How about Bruce Bowen? And on and on and on....

Any fan (ANY FAN) that thinks even the Ron/Jackson Pacers were over the top on complaints to the refs or any of that other crap does not know what they are talking about, because it isn't true. It's just isn't.

They track TECH FOULS you know, so we can get some idea. I notice that Piston fans aren't throwing Sheed under the bus. They didn't throw Ben under the bus either, and his reaction got the brawl started off in the first place and was clearly out of control.

Celtics fans didn't throw Pierce under the bus after he blew up and got tossed in the playoffs vs the Pacers. Pretty critical and stupid emotional on-court screw-up.

Raja got tossed for a game for his intentional foul of Kobe in the playoffs as well. Suns fans loved the guy rather than hate him.

And in no way did DALE or ANTONIO or DETLEF ever scrap with anyone during games, lose their temper, jaw with refs instead of getting back and so on.

It was an illusion when Detlef punched Patrick Ewing during a PLAYOFF game, right?

And the Heat/Knicks never were involved in a series changing playoff brawl. I mean the teams weren't broken-up, coaches weren't fired because of it, so it must not have happened.

This is why I rant. Complaining about stuff that isn't complaint worthy in the grand scheme of things, comparing to other teams and situations, comes off as bitter or whiney or at the very least flat-out unrealistic.

Memories cleared of the dirty truths are fun, but make for poor gauges of current situations.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This isn't that hard to figure out.

The major faces of the Colts as a whole are viewed as being squeaky clean, and all class. The major faces of the Pacers aren't.

Who pops into mind when you think of the Colts? Manning, Harrison, Dungy, all viewed as being class.

O'Neal, Jax, and Artest were 3 starters for the Pacers at the time of the brawl. Faces that everyone knew and were familiar with. Tinsley: another starter who is easily recognizable to fans.

Dominic Rhodes: Definitely a vital player to the Super Bowl Run, and a guy who has been here for 6 years, but certainly not a guy who immediately pops into peoples minds when they hear "Indianapolis Colts"

O'Neal and Artest, players who were both allstars and arguably the 2 best players at the time of the brawl were major faces. Jax and Tinsley are major faces. All of these guys are starters. When the most recognizable players of a team get in trouble, it taints the franchise.

The Colts main faces are still viewed as clean and classy. Dungy, Manning, Harrison: all untainted. Those are without a doubt the 3 biggest faces of the franchise.

That's the difference in how the teams are viewed. The big faces of the Pacers are the ones who have been involved in incidents. The major faces of the Colts haven't. Rhodes is obviously an important player, but certainly isn't the first guy to pop in someones head when they think of the Colts.

Whether Rhodes stays or go is of little difference to how the Colts are viewed by people as far as class/etc. He isn't an integral face to the team in the manner of how O'Neal, Jax, Artest, Tins are/were.

And BBall, its about time you watched some NBA besides the Pacers...Denver Nuggets, NY Knicks mean anything? How about Raja Bell? How about Bruce Bowen? And on and on and on....
    You ever been just walking along and someone starts yelling your name and you think "What did I do?".
    That's kinda how I feel here.
    I guess I need to re-read this thread to see what you are talking about.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Ahhhh... I think I see your point. You're saying other teams in the NBA have ON the court and OFF the court problems no differently than our beloved Pacers!

Well here's the difference- I don't give a flying **** about those other teams. I don't care if they open each game with a sacrifice, hold an orgy at halftime, and fight more than any 2 hockey teams. They aren't my teams. I want my teams to be held to, and uphold, a higher standard than simply raising to the lowest common denominator.

Clear enough for you?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

WoW! Major street cred' with the getting kicked out of a girls highschool game and Rhodes DUI screams' thug.

Either of them barely make news, it's like kindergartners arguing over pencils compared to what some of the NBA - NFL players do. If it would of been Jackson he would of pulled out a GATT and started shooting in the air, even during a girls highschool game.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    WoW! Major street cred' with the getting kicked out of a girls highschool game and Rhodes DUI screams' thug.

Either of them barely make news, it's like kindergartners arguing over pencils compared to what some of the NBA - NFL players do. If it would of been Jackson he would of pulled out a GATT and started shooting in the air, even during a girls highschool game.
    DUI is a very serious offense (especially when you are speeding). I don't know how anyone can say a life-threatening act is like "kindergartners arguing over pencils". I vehemently disagree with anyone who says DUI is minor or acceptable behavior. Not to pick on you in particular.

I guess the lack of a history allows us to be soft with Rhodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Ahhhh... I think I see your point. You're saying other teams in the NBA have ON the court and OFF the court problems no differently than our beloved Pacers!

Well here's the difference- I don't give a flying **** about those other teams. I don't care if they open each game with a sacrifice, hold an orgy at halftime, and fight more than any 2 hockey teams. They aren't my teams. I want my teams to be held to, and uphold, a higher standard than simply raising to the lowest common denominator.

Clear enough for you?

-Bball
    Yes. You like to complain about things that are the same for everyone. You complain at King's Island about the ride lines. When someone says "that's just the way it is at theme parks, Disney's no different" you come back with "I don't care about Disney, I'M HERE AT KING'S ISLAND".

You buy a beer at the bar and are outraged to be charged $4. "That's what they charge at most bars around here" the bartender says. "I don't care about OTHER BARS, I'm AT THIS ONE."

You're ranting about something that is normal, and by industry standards actually somewhat tame. Even more to the point you are complaining about current Pacers and my point is that the choices out there aren't any better.

In fact your response here says one thing loud and clear to me - you need to find some other entertainment outlet because the NBA product isn't going to be for you anytime soon.

I thought you were just mad because you thought the Pacers had unique issues. Turns out your just mad about the NBA culture in total and don't like the product, even if other players are brought in.

That's fine, but please stop blaming the Pacers and their roster as the core of the issue because they most certainly aren't central to it at all. Guys like AI were out-thugging Tinsley and Jackson years ago.

Reggie Miller was involed with both a strip club criminal incident and a bar brawl (in which Barkley threw the guy threw a window). You know, back in the good old days.

Either of them barely make news
    Rhodes was THE story in Indy that night and was reported on nationally (I suspect due to being pushed up the food chain by locals).

Read again and see that I agree about the content. It's blah caliber. I'm also not impressed with much that I've heard about 8 Seconds (so far), or even anything from Rio other than shooting the gun off.

I was just knocking down the posters that were leveraging the Colts against the Pacers. Goldfoot, I and several others pointed out the flaws with that thinking BEFORE Rhodes issue.

I'm just tired of this new fad of high-horse moralizing about things that aren't all that abnormal or outrageous. Drinking, strip clubs, fights, oh my. It seems less geared toward rational solutions to make the community better and more geared toward grandstanding and posturing.

Has anyone been outdoors in the 20 something scene in the last 10 years? Sheesh. I have friends that were in drunken strip club fights worse than the Pacers. Didn't make the news AT ALL. Didn't end up in jail time either.

As has been said, strip clubs are in business in Indy and aren't living off of the Pacers as their main income. Bars have bouncers for a reason, and it isn't to haul cases of beer.

My issue is that the Pacers/Colts turn a mirror back on the citizens and they get outraged by it.

You need to step back and cool down, Seth. You're taking the Sjax trade a little too hard. You've been on a rant defending mostly the indefensible ever since that moment.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Naptown - I'm with bball on this one. I don't give a rats a55 about what problems the other teams have - I don't want my team along for that ride. Respect and class were words closely associated with the Pacers for years. It's not that way now and there are a few players responsible. Freaking Tinsley and Quis apparently are incapable of learning from past mistakes.

The Colts represent the city the way the Pacer use to.

Having said that, you just knew it was only a matter of time before a player named Dallas would get himself in some kind of Wild West trouble like this. I just couldn't find out how many shots he fired before cheerleader Samantha Adams tried to run him down with her car.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Adam - I agree with what you have to say. There are other aspects I've heard, such as helmets, the amount of players on the team and how far fans sit from the action which all might contribute to being more connected to NBA players as INDIVIDUALS.

I won't deny that there is a culture of thug in the world today. I will strongly disagree that either rap or the NBA created it. Both might feed into it or feed out of it, but the connection is not cause/effect and thug-culture is going strong outside of either entertainment field.

It's exposure to the public eye via those outlets should generate a desire to deal with it on a global scope (figuratively) rather than to try to make it go away by "fixing" the NBA.

There are a lot of companies that trade on the ideal of ghetto escape via sports and music and help foster that association. The execs behind those decisions are causing a lot more social problems than some NBA players are.

Oddly I don't see a lot of splashy news stories covering how those people are being dealt with, and I sure as heck don't see a lot of people complaining about them as bad citizens.

I guess Don Henley had it right.

I make my living off the evening news
    Just give me something-something I can use
    People love it when you lose,
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down
    Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down
    Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down
    Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
    Comes on at five
    She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
    In her eye
    Its interesting when people die-
    Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
    Is the head dead yet?
    You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
    Running bet
    Get the widow on the set!
    We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
    You dont really want to know just how far its gone
    Just leave well enough alone
    Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down
    Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
    Kick em when theyre down
    Kick em when theyre stiff
    Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
    Dirty little lies
    We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
    We love to cut you down to size
    We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
    We can dance and sing
    When its said and done we havent told you a thing
    We all know that crap is king
    Give us dirty laundry!
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

ABA, he just gave examples of how the Nineties Pacers had their fair share of issues too (Detlef's punch, Reggie's bar thing) and how those things are not big deals but because these three things happened relatively close together, they get blown out of proportion.

I'm with Naptown on this one guys.

Never thought I'd see a Don Henley reference...bravo sir!

Driving down the road, trying to loosen my load, I've got seven glasses on my mind
    Four of old Corona, two of stale tequila, one said it was Heineken
    Take it easy...

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Um, yeah.

(end of bitter sarcasm)

When 2 Colts players are charged with the same crime within 6 months I will apologize. Until then I will stand by my opinion that the Colts organization runs a much cleaner ship than the Pacers.

Another way to look at this is that an NFL team is 53+ players and an NBA team is 15 or so. There has been 1 Colt player (2 if you count Clark) in the news for bad behavior - that is 1.9% (3.7% counting Clark which isn't a chargeable offense) and 3 Pacers players (actually about 6 different players) which is 20%.

I think having 98.1% of your team keeping clean is much better than having only 80% staying out of trouble. To say that the Colts are as bad as the Pacers is laughable.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin