Thread: Being an "Active" owner & the draft

Default Being an "Active" owner & the draft

This was taken from another thread but I felt it deserved its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also would like to remind everyone that this IS a serious fantasy league, so an active owner is not a nice bonus. It's REQUIRED to be active. It's part of the game. So, if you don't think you have the time ... then let us know now, please .
    Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    In that case, just scratch me off the list, Jose. There will definitely be moments where I won't have the time.
    I sent Raskolnikov a PM concerning this but I'll address it for the rest of the league because it can be an issue.

Mourning is correct, being an "active" owner is required in this league. However, some may have different definitions of what exactly an "active" owner is.

Some, like myself, spend an hour or more each day reviewing box scores, injury reports, trade rumours etc. Looking for the next player to break out. That is really not required to be active in this league.

I think as long as you're able to log onto the site a couple times a day & spend maybe 15 or 20 minutes each time reviewing trades, checking the waiver wire, looking at the free agent pool & maybe adjusting your lineup, you should be fine.

The more time you put in the greater your chances of being successful are, but the most important thing is to be able to check on your team at least twice a day.

A little research during the off season pays off big time during the draft.

Having a draft list & some idea who you would like to target makes drafting much easier. In the past we did a live draft in one day. Sometimes taking as long as 8 or 9 hours. It is nearly impossible to get 24 people from around the world in the same place at the same time for 8 hours. Many were not able to draft part or all of their team because of this. Last season we extended the draft clock to 24 hours to allow each owner enough time to select their players. I've mentioned before that we were able to complete the draft in less than a week & it was a lot less stressful, especially on the commish.

Also, for the rookies this season.

I have a very detailed list of player stats that I'll be using to draft my team. If you would like a copy of this I will make it available to you.

Default Re: Being an "Active" owner & the draft

Let me add something that helped make me leave the league a few years ago that dovetails into being an active owner.

Respond to trades requests in a timely manner.

If someone sends you a trade proposal, shoot them back a little note and let them know if you'd like to think about it and give them some type of timetable on when you may give them a response.

What used to drive me insane is I would make a trade proposal to Team A. Team A would look at the proposal on Monday....then never give me an answer. Meanwhile, I'd have a proposal out to Team B, also on Monday and we start counter-offering each other. I'd rather have the deal with Team A, so I don't want to make a move until I hear back from him.....but he never gets back to me, or takes several days mulling it over, but doesn't let ME know he's mulling it over.

Communication really helps when working out trades. I used to have several irons in the proverbial fire and when someone doesn't get back to me to at least give me an idea of what thy're thinking, it would really screw me up.

Just something to think about.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Yes, Jose, I wouldn't mind having a copy of your stats list.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Yes, Jose, I wouldn't mind having a copy of your stats list.

PM me your e-mail address & I'll send them off tonight.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

For all clarity, what I meant with "active" is not staring over statistics for hours every day, but looking ATLEAST once a day at your teams score (except IF you are on vacation or are having a child or stuff like that).

I have to aggree with Skaut that having people that communicate is always much better.

Hope your still in Rasky .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Don't worry, Mourning, I'm still in...

...to kick your ass!

Hey, this is a trash talk forum, right?

I'll be happy to win 10 games.

When's this draft start?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

It'll start the first Saturday after the site is up.

Bump

Its getting close to the end of the regular season. Time to start thinking playoffs, championships & believe it or not, next season.

If you check the "owners" page on our site you will see the last date some people have logged in & checked on their team.

I've said this a 1000 times but inactive owners kill a fantasy league faster than anything. This season has had many challenges with us being on a new site with a new scoring system as well as many new owners.

Still the one thing this league can not survive against is owners bailing on their teams. We have 8 owners that have not logged onto the site at all this month. 5 havn't been on since before Christmas.

Each off season we've attempted to replace owners that have not maintained their teams. It would appear this coming summer will be no different.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Well I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if we were to go down 2-4 teams in the summer (4 beying the most practicle due to the number of divisions). I think everybody could aggree to that.

It IS dissappointing though, I aggree with you on that, that several owners have neglected exactly that to which we pointed before the start of the season. On the other hand the other owners seem pretty dedicated to me. Should be a thrilling play-offs this year.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Well I do setup my team every week, sometimes tune it during, but it is and was a very dissapointing season, atm 4 out and I think I played for most of the season with an avg of 4 to 5 players on the irl.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

To all,

Apologies for the lack of activity on my part. My top 5 picks were all absolutely killed by injuries and my time to dedicate to internet happenings has been very limited of late. Futhermore, I thought my lineup was set aheah much more than it was, but apparently I've been leaving a lot more points on the bench than I realized.

No excuses though...entirely poor performance on my part, and even more embarrassing considering I'm supposedly a pseudo-commissioner or sorts.

If yall wanna boot me this summer, I certainly understand.