Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

What has gotten into young people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has gotten into young people?

Consider the following song lyrics:

Originally posted by Seether
    'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
    And I don't feel like I am strong enough
    'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away

Originally posted by Kelly Clarkson
    I hate myself for losing you
    I'm seeing it all so clear
    What do you do when you look in the mirror
    And staring at you is why he's not here?

And oh, I don't know what to do
    Not sure that I'll pull through
    I wish you knew
    And oh, I don't know what to say
    And I don't know anyway
    Anymore
    No, no

Originally posted by The Doors
    Wow, people, get up and dance
    The new day's comin', it's the end of the trance
    No need to worry, no need to hide
    Ev'rybody is on the same side

Originally posted by Jefferson Airplane
    Look what’s happening out in the streets
    Got a revolution got to revolution
    Hey I’m dancing down the streets
    Ain’t it amazing all the people I meet
    One generation got old
    One generation got soul
    This generation got no destination to hold
    Pick up the cry
    Hey now its time for you and me
    Come on now were marching to the sea
    Who will take it from you
    We will and who are we
    We are volunteers of America

Notice the difference between the first two (currently popular) artists, and the latter two from the '60s?

The more I hear the stuff my teenaged daughter listens to, the more I'm astonished at the self-loathing that permeates most of today's teen music.

A generation ago, teens were angry and their music pointed the finger straight at the man.

In today's lyrics, teens are still angry, but they pretty consistently blame themselves and express no hope of any change for the better.

What is going on?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Re: What has gotten into young people?

October, 1975

Originally Posted by Freddie Mercury
    Too late my time has come
    Sends shivers down my spine
    Body's aching all the time
    Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
    Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
    Mama ooh (Anyway the wind blows...)
    I don't want to die
    I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all
    Originally Posted by Jimi Hendrix
    I don't live today

Will I live tomorrow?
    Well, I just can't say
    Will I live tomorrow?
    Well, I just can't say
    But I know for sure
    I don't live today
    No sun comin' through my windows
    Feel like I'm livin' at the bottom of a grave
    No-ho sun comin' through my windows
    Feel like I'm livin' at the bottom of a grave
    I wish you'd hurry up and rescue me
    So I can be on my miserable way
    (Well), I don't
    Live today
    Maybe tomorrow, I just can't say, but, uh
    I don't
    Live today
    It's such a shame to waste your time away like this
    Existing
    Well, uh-I don't
    Live today

Originally Posted by Kelly Clarkson

When Miss Independent walked away
    No time for love that came her way
    She looked in the mirror and thought today
    What happened to miss no longer afraid?
    It took some time for her to see
    How beautiful love could truly be
    No more talk of why can't that be me
    I'm so glad I finally see...

What is this feelin' takin' over?
    Thinkin' no one could open the door
    Surprise (surprise), it's time (yeah)
    To feel (to feel) what's real
    What happened to Miss Independent?
    No longer need to be defensive
    Goodbye (goodbye), old you
    When love, when love is true...

Miss Independent
    [B
    Originally Posted by Kelly Clarkson[/B]

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
    I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky
    I'll make a wish
    Take a chance
    Make a change
    And breakaway
    Out of the darkness and into the sun
    But I won't forget all the ones that I loved
    I'll take a risk
    Take a chance
    Make a change
    And breakaway

Wanna feel the warm breeze
    Sleep under a palm tree
    Feel the rush of the ocean
    Get onboard a fast train
    Travel on a jet plane, far away (I will)
    And breakaway
    Originally Posted by John Mayer

Me and all my friends
    We're all misunderstood
    They say we stand for nothing and
    There's no way we ever could
    Now we see everything is going wrong
    With the world and those who lead it
    We just feel like we don't have the means
    To rise above and beat it

So we keep waiting (waiting)
    Waiting on the world to change
    We keep on waiting (waiting)
    It?s hard to beat the system
    When we're standing at a distance
    So we keep waiting (waiting)

Now if we had the power
    To bring our neighbors home from war
    They would have never missed a Christmas
    No more ribbons on their door
    When you trust your television
    What you get is what you got
    ?Cuz? when they own the information ooohhh,
    They can bend it all they want
    Originally Posted by Green Day

Don't want to be an American idiot.
    Don't want a nation under the new media.
    And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
    The subliminal mind******* America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
    All across the alien nation.
    Everything isn't meant to be okay.
    Television dreams of tomorrow.
    We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
    Well that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the *********America.
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
    Now everybody do the propaganda.
    And sing along in the age of paranoia.

Why Not Us ?

Comment

Frank, I think you are suggesting examples that contradict my point; songs of hopelessness from a generation ago and contemporary songs that have some ambition to them. I'm not sure what you intend, though, since you don't say anything, and also because some of your examples contradict my argument and one affirms it. The John Mayer song is another one I thought of using to make my point.

Originally posted by John Mayer
      Now we see everything is going wrong
      With the world and those who lead it
      We just feel like we don't have the means
      To rise above and beat it

Grace Slick's message was, "We can." John Mayer's message is, "We can't."

Obviously there will always be all kinds of messages floating around in popular culture, and I'm not claiming that every song used to be an anthem of change and no song today is that.

I'm saying that there is a strong thread of self-loathing in today's music that was almost totally lacking in the '60s and '70s. Or look at punk lyrics from the early '80s. Those are about anger and hate, but the anger is focused outward, not inward.

I don't know the Green Day song. Is it just saying, "This sucks!" or is it saying, "We can make this better?" That is the distinction I'm asking about.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bob Sinclair *2006*

Why must our children play in the streets,
        broken hearts and faded dreams,
        listen um to everyone that you meet,
        don't you worry, it could be so sweet,
        just look to the rainbow, you will see,
        sun will shine 'till eternity,
        I've got for much love in my heart,
        no one can tear it apart,
        Yeah.

Feel the love generation,
        Yeah, yeah, yeah,
        Feel the love generation,
        C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon yeah

I can definitely understand where Putnam is coming from as most of the songs that is "popular" is usually playing the emotional card - but instead of pointing the blame on anyone else...they're eating themselves alive.
        Of course this isn't the case in every scenario - as pointed out from the lyrics above...I guess TEENS these day feel like they relate to those songs more so than anything else.

I'm 24 and I went through that period during my teenage years where I was listening to songs with similar messages *i.e. pushing people away; losing hope; broken dreams; etc* but it wasn't THAT 24/7....It was just depending on my mood...

which makes me wonder - does music dictate our mood...or does our mood dictate the music?

these days I'm listening to music whenever possible - and noticed how its usually more upbeat than anything else...there is enough drama in the rest of the world...I need something positive to charge up.

Comment

"Well I know it wasnt you who held me down
          Heaven knows it wasnt you who set me free
          So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
          And we never even know we have the key

But me, Im already gone"
          - The Eagles

"You dont know me but Im your brother
          I was raised here in this living hell
          You dont know my kind in your world
          Fairly soon the time will tell
          You, telling me the things youre gonna do for me
          I aint blind and I dont like what I think I see

Takin it to the streets

Take this message to my brother
          You will find him everywhere
          Wherever people live together
          Tied in poverty's despair
          You, telling me the things you're gonna do for me
          I aint blind and I dont like what I think I see

Takin it to the streets"
          - The Doobie Brothers

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Comment

Thanks bellisimo and LoneGranger 33.

To respond to bellisimo's question, I am pretty sure the influence goes in both directions. If you play music yourself, you can play yourself out of a bad mood, or you can indulge it and put the instrument away feeling worse than when you started.

I'm not sure what to make of LG's additions, since they came from the '70s, which was a distinct time that was not as extreme as either period we're talking about. (The '70s was my era, and I'm not at all nostalgic.)

My daughter and I have a theory. The baby boomers were the children of the people who had just won world war 2 and made the world safe. Their parents gave them confidence that they could do anything. Then a lot of bad stuff (Vietnam, Watergate, energy crisis, Iran hostage crisis, Reagan, Challenger disaster, etc.) happened, and the new conclusion was that we sometimes lose. Now the Baby Boomers are passing a lot of pessimism to Gen X and Gen Y. So, allowing for a lot of differences, the general tone today is less confident and less hopeful today than it was. Does this make sense?

Take the most extreme example. At Woodstock, Country Joe got the crowd to spell out, "F, U, C, K," and then he admonished them to get louder with, "How do you expect to stop the war if you don't yell any louder than that?"

Well, it is utterly ridiculous to suppose spelling out a cuss word, however loudly, could stop a war. But I believe there was an underlying confidence among those kids that they were going to stop the war, and that whatever they did at any time could contribute to the effort.

Today we've got John Mayer, saying, "Now if we had the power to bring our neighbors home from war." I know the song is ironic, but the reason it is a good song is that kids really think that way. (You can't parody something that doesn't exist.)

I think the values of teens then and now are a lot the same, but the attitude is a lot difference.

Comment

it also has a lot to do with the mentality of the song writer...
              just another example:

Originally Posted by EMINEM

Come along follow me as I lead through the darkness
              As I provide just enough spark that we need to proceed
              Carry on, give me hope, give me strength
              Come with me and I won't steer you wrong
              Put your faith and your trust as I guide us through the fog
              To the light at the end of the tunnel
              We gonna fight, we gonna charge, we gonna stomp, we gonna march
              Through the swamp, we gonna mosh through the marsh
              Take us right through the doors (c'mon)

All the people up top on the side and the middle
              Come together lets all bomb and swamp just a little
              Just let it gradually build from the front to the back
              All you can see is a sea of people some white and some black
              Don't matter what color, all that matters we gathered together
              To celebrate for the same cause don't matter the weather
              If it rains let it rain, yea the wetter the better
              They ain't gonna stop us they can't, we stronger now more than ever
              They tell us no we say yea, they tell us stop we say go
              Rebel with a rebel yell, raise hell we gonna let em know
              Stomp, push, shove, mush, Bush, until they bring our troops home (c'mon)

Comment

Originally posted by Putnam View Post
                Frank, I think you are suggesting examples that contradict my point; songs of hopelessness from a generation ago and contemporary songs that have some ambition to them. I'm not sure what you intend, though, since you don't say anything, and also because some of your examples contradict my argument and one affirms it. The John Mayer song is another one I thought of using to make my point.

Grace Slick's message was, "We can." John Mayer's message is, "We can't."

Obviously there will always be all kinds of messages floating around in popular culture, and I'm not claiming that every song used to be an anthem of change and no song today is that.

I'm saying that there is a strong thread of self-loathing in today's music that was almost totally lacking in the '60s and '70s. Or look at punk lyrics from the early '80s. Those are about anger and hate, but the anger is focused outward, not inward.

I don't know the Green Day song. Is it just saying, "This sucks!" or is it saying, "We can make this better?" That is the distinction I'm asking about.
                i really think you're missing the point with the john mayer song. i don't think mayer is saying "we can't" i think its more of a call-to-arms by saying "we aren't" ... in fact, first time i heard mayer's song, i wondered if it was kind of this generation's "Whats Going On"

and those are real generalizations about the tone of current music. theres is self-loathing, sure. its part of a movement of music (emo, scremo, etc.) just like the folk movement of the 60s and early 70s. just like the late 60s was about a psychedelic movement. and the 80s had new wave and punk. frankly, you want to talk about self-loathing, listen to a few depeche mode albums, they've been specializing in self-loathing and depression to music since the mid 80s (long after "Just Can't Get Enough") and they've also mastered outward loathing too. tears for fears debut album "The Hurting" was all about their experiences in primal scream therapy. it was pretty dark and self-loathing. both were part of the new wave movement along with Duran Duran and hundreds of other bands that never lasted. but they it didn't mean they all sounded the same or were all self-loathing or overwhelmingly positive. tears for fears went on to write "Shout" (another primal scream song but also protest song) "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (cold war protest song), "Sowing the Seeds of Love" (political pop song), etc... so they grew as artists and their entire repotoire isn't self-loathing or depressing (as a sidenote, TFF's 2004 album "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" is fantastic. sort of McCartney-ish pop... 1989's "Seeds of Love" is more Lennon-esque for what its worth)

"Personal Jesus" (Depeche Mode -1990)

Your own personal Jesus
                Someone to hear your prayers, someone who cares
                Your own personal Jesus
                Someone to hear your prayers, someone who's there

Feeling unknown and you're all alone
                Flesh and bone, by the telephone
                Lift up the receiver I'll make you a believer
                Take second best, put me to the test
                Things on your chest you need to confess
                I will deliver you know I'm a forgiver
                Reach out and touch faith

"Mad World" (Tears For Fears -1983)

All around me are familiar faces
                Worn out places, worn out faces
                Bright and early for their daily races
                Going nowhere, going nowhere

And their tears are filling up their glasses
                No expression, no expression
                Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
                No tommorow, no tommorow

And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
                The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
                I find it hard to tell you 'cos I find it hard to take
                When people run in circles it's a very, very mad world
                but theres plenty that is outward anger in recent music too like "american idiot" or take the song "megalomaniac" by incubus...

I hear you on the radio
                You permeate my screen
                It's unkind but
                If I met you in a scissor fight
                I'd cut off both your wings
                On principle alone, on principle alone

Hey megalomaniac, You're no Jesus
                Yeah, you're no *******ing Elvis
                Wash your hands clean of yourself baby
                Step down, step down

If I were your appendages
                I'd hold open your eyes
                So you would see
                That all of us are heaven sent
                There was never meant to be only one
                To be only one

Hey megalomaniac, You're no Jesus
                Yeah, you're no *******ing Elvis
                Wash your hands clean of yourself baby
                Step down, step down
                Abandoned Pools has both self-loathing and outward-loathing down pretty well

"Fluorescein" (2001)

Wipe away the summer air
                You don't wanna see
                That's you in that Photograph from 1973
                And you don't even know me

God only Knows I wanna be
                The other side of misery
                Gimme a plate of Fluorescein
                I'm gonna paint an ugly scene
                All of the things I wanna say
                Can't get a word out anyway
                Falling away after today
                Nothing to lose so come what may
                Don't wake me

You got away from me somehow
                And all we tried to be
                Everything is different now
                The mind's eye fails to see
                And all we know is TV

"Armed to the Teeth" (2005)

I am armed to the teeth, you can't hold me down
                I've turned seething into a hobby
                Why is god out to get us? Can't we just be friends?
                I feel a twinge of righteousness, like a corporate hedonist

Armed to the teeth, I'm ready
                Go out and spend your money
                Giants of industry come on and try to eat me
                Armed to the teeth, I'm ready

What century are you living in
                An ancient puzzle piece that won't fit in
                You want artists that are more positive? Try India Arie. Collective Soul. Dave Matthews. Ben Folds isn't self-loathing, he isn't really angry either. somewhere in between.

"Better Now" (Collective Soul - 2004)

Oh I'm newly calibrated
                All shiny and clean
                I'm your recent adaptation
                Time to redefine me

Let the word out I've got to get out
                Oh I'm feeling better now
                Break the news out I've got to get out
                Oh I'm feeling better now

The world's done shaking
                The world's done shaking
                The world's done shaking me down
                i just think its a movement of music, but its not an accurate generalization. its like saying that theres so much more rap than there used to be in the 60s. or how music is so much louder now (but then you point to people like damien rice, norah jones, corrine bailey rae who are basking in minimalism or you look back at Led Zeppelin and the Who as really loud bands from the 70s). lyric writing has changed as an artform over the decades. songwriting has evolved and its not overwhelmingly colored by one mood or another.

besides self-loathing isn't new in music (see genre: blues). even the beatles (see songs: Yer Blues, I'm a Loser). it has now taken a new form

i guess the point is, just because artists don't always say "Go out there and give 'em hell" like people in the 60s and 70s, im not sure if they need to. the information is out there, it is much more available than it once was. there are messageboards for fans from all over the world that like the pacers to discuss changing trends in music. things change so do artistic movements. it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with 'young people' (i guess i should mention i turn 23 in a few weeks for full disclosure). in the 60s, there had never been a giant movement to challenge that type of authority (government, social institutions, etc) and artists led the war cry. but we've already had that movement, do artists really need to be doing the same things? does john mayer need to repeat the same ideas that grace slick did (i have yet to hear mayer use alice in wonderland metaphors for drug usage but i'll keep my ears open)?

also, and this is just my own personal opinion, i don't believe that seether is going to be placed in some time capsule and cherished 20 years from now.
                This is the darkest timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Putnam View Post
                  I'm not sure what to make of LG's additions, since they came from the '70s, which was a distinct time that was not as extreme as either period we're talking about. (The '70s was my era, and I'm not at all nostalgic.)
                  I'm a young person (21 as of last Saturday) and just goes to show that the music that speaks to me most is from a different era. So, I think I'm in agreement with you Putnam. I also have problems with today's music not because it doesn't inspire us for good, but quite the opposite - teaches poor values (chauvinism, materialism, foul language, **** like that...) Let me add on the following, because I like these songs too:

"And the men who hold high places
                  Must be the ones to start
                  To mould a new reality
                  Closer to the heart"
                  - Rush

"When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful,
                  a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
                  And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily,
                  joyfully, playfully watching me.
                  But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
                  logical, responsible, practical.
                  And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
                  clinical, intellectual, cynical.

There are times when all the world's asleep,
                  The questions run too deep for such a simple man
                  Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
                  I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who I am...

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
                  liberal, fanatical, criminal.
                  Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
                  acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!
                  At night, when all the world's asleep,
                  The questions run so deep for such a simple man
                  Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
                  I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who I am"
                  - Supertramp

Let us not be just another brick in the wall!

IMO - the '60s generation of young people transformed the world, mostly for the better, but that work is far from complete. I'm not sure if any artist today (save for possibly U2, one of my favorite bands) inspires us the way a Bob Dylan or John Lennon could.

Also, the Who is the loudest band ever. And they were pretty damn good to boot. Baba O'Riley has to be the best song ever. Just my opinion.

Comment

Well, it seems like other don't see the issue as clearly as it appears to me. It isn't always easy to see a general trend among diverse instandces. And you are telling mne that I may be connecting dots the wrong way and gettin a picture that isn't really there. OK. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and the examples they posted.

There was another high school suicide in the North Putnam school district this week. (Just thought I'd mention that. It may not be important.)

Originally posted by avoidingtheclowns
                    besides self-loathing isn't new in music (see genre: blues).
                    Now you're on my grounds. I'm an absolute blues freak. Hardly any blues expresses self-loathing. There is a lot of celebratory "Sat'idy night fish fry" kind of blues, but even the remorseful blues tends to put the blame on those "evil-hearted women." Or else it expresses more of a determination to cope with quiet dignity rather than to despise oneself. In the following example, there is a long list of hardship, but the singer knows its not his fault, and he knows he'll get through it all. It is the opposite of self-loathing.

Originally posted by B.B. King
                    Everybody wants to know
                    Why I sing the blues
                    Yes, I say everybody wanna know
                    Why I sing the blues
                    Well, I've been around a long time
                    I really have paid my dues

When I first got the blues
                    They brought me over on a ship
                    Men were standing over me
                    And a lot more with a whip
                    And everybody wanna know
                    Why I sing the blues
                    Well, I've been around a long time
                    Mm, I've really paid my dues

I've laid in a ghetto flat
                    Cold and numb
                    I heard the rats tell the bedbugs
                    To give the roaches some
                    Everybody wanna know
                    Why I'm singing the blues
                    Yes, I've been around a long time
                    People, I've paid my dues

I stood in line
                    Down at the County Hall
                    I heard a man say, "We're gonna build
                    Some new apartments for y'all"
                    And everybody wanna know
                    Yes, they wanna know
                    Yes, I've been around a long, long time
                    Yes, I've really, really paid my dues

Now I'm gonna play Lucille.

My kid's gonna grow up
                    Gonna grow up to be a fool
                    'Cause they ain't got no more room
                    No more room for him in school
                    And everybody wanna know
                    Everybody wanna know
                    I say I've been around a long time
                    Yes, I've really paid some dues

Yeah, you know the company told me
                    Guess you're born to lose
                    Everybody around me, people
                    It seems like everybody got the blues
                    But I had 'em a long time
                    I've really, really paid my dues
                    You know I ain't ashamed of it, people
                    I just love to sing my blues

I walk through the cities, people
                    On my bare feet
                    I had a fill of catfish and chitterlings
                    Up and down Beal Street
                    You know I'm singing the blues
                    Yes, I really
                    I just have to sing my blues
                    I've been around a long time
                    People, I've really, really paid my dues

Now Father Time is catching up with me
                    Gone is my youth
                    I look in the mirror everyday
                    And let it tell me the truth
                    I'm singing the blues
                    Mm, I just have to sing the blues
                    Yes, yes, I've really paid some dues

Yeah, they told me everything
                    Would be better out in the country
                    Everything was fine
                    I caught me a bus uptown, baby
                    And every people, all the people
                    Got the same trouble as mine
                    I got the blues, huh huh
                    I say I've been around a long time
                    I've really paid some dues

One more time, fellows!

Blind man on the corner
                    Begging for a dime
                    The rollers come and caught him
                    And throw him in the jail for a crime
                    I got the blues
                    Mm, I'm singing my blues
                    Mm, I've really paid some dues

Can we do just one more?

Oh I thought I'd go down to the welfare
                    To get myself some grits and stuff
                    But a lady stand up and she said
                    "You haven't been around long enough"
                    That's why I got the blues
                    Mm, the blues
                    I say, I've been around a long time
                    I've really, really paid my dues

Fellows, tell them one more time.

Ha, ha, ha. That's all right, fellows.
                    Yeah!

Comment

I think I've got the missing link for you guys. The current mood for artists is often referred to as "emo", which stands for emotional. Obviously, some performers/groups exhibit this trait more than others, but it's a common theme, and as that's what sells records, that's what gets made. The genre is typically self-loathing, and more importantly, focuses on negative emotions such as anger and loathing, which can be expressed either internally or externally. Keep in mind, the pioneer of this genre of music was The Cure, and they've been around for a while

The question is: Is this life imitating Art, or Art imitating Life? I think in this case, it's Art imitating Life. I have a strong feeling that the current fad of self-loathing has a strong connection to September 11, 2001. The kids who are the primary demographic for music are roughly 12-22, which would have made that age group 7-17 when the terrorism happened. Notice that they were all kids? I think the attacks had a far more profound effect on the younger kids who weren't old enough to cope with their feelings, and are now faced with something similar to PTSD.

Sound like a good explanation to you guys? Cause that's all I got.

Comment

I don't know how seriously I take it, but I think it is watered down existentialist art that has caught up with pop culture. For instance The Cure had a song "Killing an Arab" inspired by The Stranger and Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral draws from Nausea. Today, I think bands are more inspired by the afore mentioned bands than the existentialist.

So, yeah, I blame Europe.
                        "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Comment

Originally posted by Eindar View Post
                          I think I've got the missing link for you guys. The current mood for artists is often referred to as "emo", which stands for emotional. Obviously, some performers/groups exhibit this trait more than others, but it's a common theme, and as that's what sells records, that's what gets made. The genre is typically self-loathing, and more importantly, focuses on negative emotions such as anger and loathing, which can be expressed either internally or externally. Keep in mind, the pioneer of this genre of music was The Cure, and they've been around for a while

The question is: Is this life imitating Art, or Art imitating Life? I think in this case, it's Art imitating Life. I have a strong feeling that the current fad of self-loathing has a strong connection to September 11, 2001. The kids who are the primary demographic for music are roughly 12-22, which would have made that age group 7-17 when the terrorism happened. Notice that they were all kids? I think the attacks had a far more profound effect on the younger kids who weren't old enough to cope with their feelings, and are now faced with something similar to PTSD.

Sound like a good explanation to you guys? Cause that's all I got.
                          Props, eindar. I think you are right, even with the link to The Cure!

My daughter listens to a lot of Evanscence, which is just what you describe. There is some debate over whether Amy Lee is a Goth emo, or an Emo goth, but she sure is honked off about something!

Comment

I must agree with Putnam here that the blues is certainly not self-loathing, in fact it is what is early on used as protest song, in which later the folk became instrumental (mix of).

I also agree that there was definitely more "message" in the music of the 60/70 period (I would even add 50's to that) then today, after the "empty" 80's and the "ego-driven" 90's I have a feeling that this era is mostly characterized by money driven ideas then anything else.

Every tv-show becomes a contest, with big bucks for the winner and a lot of shouting and coming down hard on the losers: "sign of the times".

So close to "black awareness month" (I think it's called that, sorry; ignorant Euro here) it is almost funny to quote this song, written in '49 and finally recorded in France in '51 (no one in the USA dared touching it):

Big Bill Broonzy:

This little song that I'm singin' about,
                            People, you all know that it's true,
                            If you're black and gotta work for livin',
                            Now, this is what they will say to you,
                            They says: "If you was white,
                            You's alright,
                            If you was brown,
                            Stick around,
                            But if you's black, oh, brother,
                            Get back, get back, get back."

I was in a place one night,
                            They was all havin' fun,
                            They was all buyin' beer and wine,
                            But they would not sell me none.
                            They said: "If you was white,
                            You's alright,
                            If you was brown,
                            You could stick around,
                            But as you's black, hmm, hmm, brother,

I went to an employment office,
                            I got a number and I got in line,
                            They called everybody's number,
                            But they never did call mine.
                            You's alright,
                            If you was brown,
                            You could stick around,
                            But as you's black, hmm, hmm, brother,

Me and a man was workin' side by side,
                            Now, this is what it meant:
                            They was payin' him a dollar an hour,
                            And they was payin' me fifty cent.
                            You'd be alright,
                            If you was brown,
                            You could stick around,
                            But as you's black, oh, brother,

I helped build this country
                            and i fought for it too
                            Now I guess that you can see
                            What a black man have to do
                            You'd be alright,
                            If you was brown,
                            You could stick around,
                            But as you's black, oh, brother,
                            Get back, get back, get back.

I helped win sweet victories,
                            With my plow and hoe,
                            Now, I want you to tell me, brother,
                            What you gonna do 'bout the old Jim Crow?
                            Now, if you is white,
                            You's alright,
                            If you's brown,
                            Stick around,
                            But if you's black, oh, brother,
                            Get back, get back, get back.
                            So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
                            Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

Working...
                            X