Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

  1. #1
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    That kid for Memphis looked like he's going to be a real good one. If so they might be willing to move Mike Miller. He looked like crap last night but I've been impressed otherwise. Great passer and shooter and super quick (for a WHITE guy!)
    They need PG BADDDDDDDDDDDDD. And help up front.... hmmmmmmm

  2. #2

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    - Kevin Martin
    Averaging over 20 points, shooting nearly 50% from the field and over 40% from the 3 point line. He is just a flat out stud.
    - Andre Iguodala
    He is a stat sheet stuffer. Scores 17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, good defense.
    - Josh Childress
    A lot like Kevin Martin only he doesn't score as many points. Still though, 12 points, 52% from the field.
    - JR Smith
    He has came on this year. Gets 15 points per game even with AI and Anthony.
    - Brandon Roy
    Just a rookie but still very solid. An all around player much like Iguodala. 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists.
    - Monta Ellis
    Some might consider him a point guard, IDK, but i'll list him as a two. He can flat out score that ball. 6'3 and only 180 lbs but he still scores close to 20 points a game and that is no easy task playing with Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Stephen Jackson, and Al Harrington.

  3. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,818

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That kid for Memphis looked like he's going to be a real good one. If so they might be willing to move Mike Miller. He looked like crap last night but I've been impressed otherwise. Great passer and shooter and super quick (for a WHITE guy!)
    They need PG BADDDDDDDDDDDDD. And help up front.... hmmmmmmm
    Are you talking about 2 different players? ( as in...."That kid for Memphis...." and "Miker Miler....cuz he looke like cr@P last night but I've been impressed..." )

    or

    Are we talking about the same person?

    I thought you were initially referring to Hakim Warrick and Mike Miller.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought you were initially referring to Hakim Warrick and Mike Miller.
    Nope, he was referring to Rudy Gay. The emergence of Gay may mean Mike Miller is available.

    I'd be thrilled.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you talking about 2 different players? ( as in...."That kid for Memphis...." and "Miker Miler....cuz he looke like cr@P last night but I've been impressed..." )

    or

    Are we talking about the same person?

    I thought you were initially referring to Hakim Warrick and Mike Miller.
    I believe the "kid" is Rudy G_y. So he's saying that Mike Miller might be availible. And though he thought Miller looked terrible last night, he's been impressed with him over the long haul

  6. #6
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, he was referring to Rudy Gay. The emergence of Gay may mean Mike Miller is available.

    I'd be thrilled.
    Sorry, apparently you beat me to it!

  7. #7
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,782

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    I'm probably going to get laughed off the board here , but I don't know that I wouldn't put Marquis Daniels in the category of potentially great 2-guards. I would say that he's not being used as much as he could to put up the necessary numbers, but think about this guy. He needs to get in a gym and shoot jumpshots until his arms fall off. His current jumper is inconsistent, and you still cannot keep this guy out of the lane. He finishes so beautifully around the basket. I don't know if I'd put him in the category of most dominant, as there are those who put up bigger numbers, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the games we struggled with recently were during the time when he was sitting due to injury.

  8. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,818

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, he was referring to Rudy Gay. The emergence of Gay may mean Mike Miller is available.

    I'd be thrilled.
    Man....I completely forgot about him......I guess the "White Dude" comment threw me a little....I was trying to figure out what other "White Dude" is on the Grizzlies other then Gasol or Mike Miller.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,818

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm probably going to get laughed off the board here , but I don't know that I wouldn't put Marquis Daniels in the category of potentially great 2-guards. I would say that he's not being used as much as he could to put up the necessary numbers, but think about this guy. He needs to get in a gym and shoot jumpshots until his arms fall off. His current jumper is inconsistent, and you still cannot keep this guy out of the lane. He finishes so beautifully around the basket. I don't know if I'd put him in the category of most dominant, as there are those who put up bigger numbers, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the games we struggled with recently were during the time when he was sitting due to injury.
    I wouldn't put him in the same catagory as other 2-Guards....but I would have to disagree with his jumper. Of the games that I have seen.....his midrange jumper all the way out to the high-post seems rather consistent to me. He doesn't have an real perimeter game...as in he should have ZERO business getting near the 3pt line.....but I really prefer to have him stick to whatever he is doing now...cuz its working.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  10. #10
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Yeh I meant Gay. Sorry. Was talking about Miller passing,shooting, quick for WG.
    Gay was pert near unstoppable around the basket. Unreal.

    Johnny, I'm not forgetting Quis. I consider him a very valuable piece at this point. But I think his skill is always going to be the herky jerky to the hoop stuff. That smoooooth but jerky style SEEMS like a contradiction to be dead eye jump shooter. He can get better, but I doubt he's going to turn into a reg clone.
    "Picture if you will" - MC Shooter on one wing, guarded CLOSELY. Danny on other,man on him tight too. Quis with the ball at the top with NO one able to help trap!!! He's going one on one down the lane with Jermaine to fill and 2 shooters to kick too if they collapse.
    That could be fun to play and fun to watch.
    In my minds lineup he's playing a fair bit of 1.

  11. #11
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    I wonder what Tim Hardaway thinks about Rudy Gay...

  12. #12
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    I want Sasha Pavlovic from the Cavs, shouldn't be too costly and he's going to be solid!

  13. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,818

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Anthony Parker ( from Toronto ) he shoots 49% from 2pt Land...and 44% from 3pt land.

    EDIT - He's 32 years old....nm...he's not young....but still a very solid shooter.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #14
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anthony Parker ( from Toronto ) he shoots 49% from 2pt Land...and 44% from 3pt land.

    EDIT - He's 32 years old....nm...he's not young....but still a very solid shooter.
    larry ought to have signed him instead of saras... i mean, we got the other 2/3 of the maccabi core, but somehow we missed out on the most nba-fit guy. i'm amazed that the nba took so long to sign him.

  15. #15
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    larry ought to have signed him instead of saras... i mean, we got the other 2/3 of the maccabi core, but somehow we missed out on the most nba-fit guy. i'm amazed that the nba took so long to sign him.

    I think Runi's stock rose after the olympics and what he did to the US team. I must admit I watched that game and was hype to hear we were getting him. Sadly the Euro game is mostly fastbreaks, pick and rolls, with no defense. I think Runi could fit in on the right team, but ours wasn't the one! I honestly think a team like Phoeniz would be perfect for him. Up and down, pick and roll, and players that aren't selfish.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    How young is young? Gerald Green will be good. Joe Johnson is very good. Dwyane Wade is elite. Ben Gordon is very good. Monta Ellis will be an All Star. Luther Head is also a good young guard although like Ellis he's a combo 1 and 2 guard.

  17. #17
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    how about ben gordon? undersized but a terrific scoring machine. probably untouchable though

    some guys who are a little under the radar but i think will be good players in the future: rashad mccants from the t'wolves, antoine wright from the nets, luther head from the rockets. tony allen was playing well too before his injury.

    dajuan wagner is out of the league now because of health problems (colon), but i think he can make a comeback if he ever gets healthy enough. his quickness and scoring ability is a great fit for the way the league is going.

  18. #18
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    kapono - been solid for miami
    pavlovic - showed progress when lebron was out
    martin - been sacto's lone bright spot
    barbosa - been more of a shooting PG this season
    ray/allen - been fairly solid for boston when not injured
    bell - newish to the NBA only his third year but those 3 sandwich his stint in Europe
    carroll - had a nice year for the bobcats
    roy - probably rookie of the year
    This is the darkest timeline.

  19. #19
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Not tryin to be a homer here but Jarvis Hayes looks so good when he's healthy. He drives well, has an alright jumper, but of course he plays on the Wiz so you know - he can't really play D all that well.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  20. #20
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How young is young? Gerald Green will be good. Joe Johnson is very good. Dwyane Wade is elite. Ben Gordon is very good. Monta Ellis will be an All Star. Luther Head is also a good young guard although like Ellis he's a combo 1 and 2 guard.
    Not about age, but contract size. If they aren't on their rookie contract then we probably can't match up big guy talent/contract in an exchange.

  21. #21
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    larry ought to have signed him instead of saras... i mean, we got the other 2/3 of the maccabi core, but somehow we missed out on the most nba-fit guy. i'm amazed that the nba took so long to sign him.
    I've got him in my fantasy league, so I've kept up with him quite a bit. I think if he wasn't playing in Toronto, he'd be getting a LOT of press. He's just got a solid, all around game and plays like a vet. He does a little bit of everything well. I'd say his most comparable couterpart would be Josh Childress. As much as I always like Saras, man, it would have been nice for us to have gotten Anthony Parker.

    PLus, there's no knucklehead factor with him.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what Tim Hardaway thinks about Rudy Gay...


    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

  23. #23
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    kapono - been solid for miami
    pavlovic - showed progress when lebron was out
    martin - been sacto's lone bright spot
    barbosa - been more of a shooting PG this season
    ray/allen - been fairly solid for boston when not injured
    bell - newish to the NBA only his third year but those 3 sandwich his stint in Europe
    carroll - had a nice year for the bobcats
    roy - probably rookie of the year
    The word best could only even loosely apply to a couple guys on this list: Roy, Barbosa, and Martin. Those are the only three here with even remote star potential.

    I hate to mention it, but the Pacers really don't need another swingman. If we were to get one of these guys (this seems to be the purpose of this thread), who are we going to take minutes away from? Most people seem to be happy with Dunleavy. We want to see Daniels and Williams play more. Everybody loves Granger. Heck, people even seem to think that Marshall deserves some minutes. There's no need for another 2/3 on this team. If a trade is going to be made, the Pacers need help at either PG (I don't trust McLeod, Green, or Armstrong's legs) or C. Those positions are our weakest points.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  24. #24
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The word best could only even loosely apply to a couple guys on this list: Roy, Barbosa, and Martin. Those are the only three here with even remote star potential.
    i was trying to name the best of the developing SG talent in the league (mostly rookies or recent developing talents) i mean if we really want to list the best in the league you start with ray allen and probably dwane wade. i was just trying to mention the best of the young developing SGs. i had no idea my list was supposed to represent a pacer wish list. sorry for upsetting you pal.

    i disagree i think we need a reliable shooter off the bench, someone like a matt carroll, who could be our steve kerr type of player and knock down outside shots with some amount of accuracy. because even though our bench tends to me more productive than our starters i think to be more successful we need someone who can drain a 3 while quis is slashing. danny's shooting a fairly good % but he's not nearly as aggressive and at this point, he's the only reliable outside shot we have. maybe dunleavy will keep his late good shooting up, but i think we need another. now that could be a PG but i still think it needs to be a combo guard.

    i haven't seen enough of mcleod to say he's not up to the task of playing PG. i don't think greene will improve (i could be wrong) and armstrong isn't going to last much longer. so i agree about the we-don't-need-swing-players-but-PGs perspective
    This is the darkest timeline.

  25. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Who are the best young shooting guards in the league?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what Tim Hardaway thinks about Rudy Gay...
    He doesn't think he belongs in the NBA, or even on the Grizzlies.


    I just said in another thread yesterday I think that it sure would be nice to go back and trade Ron for Martin straight up. You know how mad fans would have been at the time? But it would have been a brilliant move.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •