Thread: Shawne Williams

Default Shawne Williams

So what's everyones impressions on this kid? Are you happy with the selection? What do you like about his game? What do you not like about his game? What position will he end up playing?

Default Re: Shawne Williams

I think the kid has talent and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He has a smooth jump shot and I like how he rebounds the ball. Still seems to be a little lost in the system, but that's expected.

Only thing I question is where his minutes are going to come from. He's playing behind Granger, Ike, JO, and sometimes Quis & Dunleavy. None of these guys appear to be going anywhere.

I really like Shawne's game.

He has great size and athletic ability. He can shoot the ball but also pass it and put the ball some the floor some. His size and wingspan should make him a good rebounder and defender.

I think that Shawne will be playing the 2. Ultimantly I think that in a couple of years he will be better than Dunleavy or Daniels, assuming they are sitll here, and will earn the starting spot.

I think that with Shawne it is just a matter of fine tuning his game and of course learning the NBA game. Right now though he isn't a stand out shooter or defender. He isn't really stand out at anything and so he just has to fine tune his game. He is headed in the right direction though, IMO.

He does look like he is going to have a good future, the problem is time on the floor. I say keep him unless you can move him in a trade that will make us better in the back court.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

It would be really too soon to trade him IMO. I don't think his playing time is a real big issue right now. He isn't ready just yet to play big minutes. Once he is, then it is an issue.

May 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the two players I would be ecstatic if we were able steal at 17 would be.

Ronnie Brewer for sure I think he is everything you can ask for if your the Pacers. Defensive intensity , nose for the ball, good handles, can go to the glass. He reminds me of a combo of Maggette/ Artest .. skill set wise that is .. He has been though slowing rising on the Draft Boards so Indiana may have to trade up.....

or Shawne Williams... HUGE upside, good size versatile like a Granger but I think he is more of a true Swingman , more of a natural shooter and ball handler..

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...hawne+Williams

Like I said before the Draft, he has great upside. and a nice stroke to boot !

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo

I'm afraid that given our SG/SF rotation and the players that are stuck in front of him ( that likely won't or can't be moved for another two or three seasons ), Shawne won't develop that quickly. The only hope that I have is that Marquis is either traded ( which no one wants ) or slides over to play some backup PG minutes to make room for Shawne in the SG/SF rotation. But even if Marquis was moved over to play some backup PG minutes...that would likely create ( at best ) 10-15 mpg for Shawne.

I really wonder if Shawne ( much like any other rookie ) could develop quicker if he were on a team that was lottery bound and could afford to give a rookie/sophmore/young player a decent amount of minutes to simply develop.

Given most of what we have seen and what upside that Shawne has, unlike Ike ( who probably needs another season to properly develop as a Big Man ), I get the sense that he would greatly develop and make a comprable jump in his NBA career like Granger had between his Rookie and Sophomore seasons if Carlisle had no choice but to give him 15-20 consistent minutes over the next season. The problem is that I don't think that he will make that type of jump as a Pacer....UNLESS something happens that forces Carilsle to play him on a regular basis...like how he was forced to give Granger significant minutes when we went through the 2nd "Artest incident".

I really think that Shawne should either get Rawle's limited minutes in the rotation....or he should be sent down to the NBDL. Not that Shawne is bad enough that he really needs to be sent down to the NBDL....but I would much rather that he plays and develops while playing a consistent amount of minutes somwhere....rather then watch from the bench for another season or two.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think Dunleavy is blocking Shawne, not Daniels. If Shawne looks like he's ready to get a spike in MPG, I have no doubt that the Pacers will trade Dunleavy.

Shawne just needs to take advantage of his minutes when he's on the court and impress without disrupting the offense/defense.

I was really hoping for that "other" Williams that fell to us would have been our selection. I had saw Shawne some at Memphis, and thought he had good upside, but I figured we needed a PG since Saras was a question mark and Tinsley's health was always a question mark. To be honest, I wanted Farmar in the draft, and when Marcus Williams fell to us, I really wanted him, but I wasn't disappointed at the selection of Shawne. And I think he has a chance to be a good player... only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I think Dunleavy is blocking Shawne, not Daniels. If Shawne looks like he's ready to get a spike in MPG, I have no doubt that the Pacers will trade Dunleavy.

Shawne just needs to take advantage of his minutes when he's on the court and impress without disrupting the offense/defense.
    Agreed. It's not the position it's the skills. Daniels is the penetrator, we have to have some of that. Shawne is a shooter. If he can hit 50% of his open jumpers he'll be taking Dunleavys spot. At some point.....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post

Of course Dunleavy is blocking the progress of Shawne....but which GM is going to take on Dunleavy's overpaid long-term contract?

The answer is no one. Like it not...unless TPTB move Dunleavy with JONeal and Tinsley in the offseason.....then there really isn't much we can do.

BTW....Ike has the same problem....as long as JONeal, Murphy and Foster is on the team....he will only get 10-15 minutes a game.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

In another year or two, Foster will begin losing some of that feisty energy and without being able to score, Ike will gradually begin taking his minutes. It's just a matter of time...be patient.

Shawne, if he can consistently hit 3s and shoot around 50%, would be a great 2-guard with his height, wing span, quickness, and rebounding. Carlisle won't be able to keep Shawne off the floor, anymore than he can keep Danny off the floor when he starts producing with confidence and consistency.

So in a few years you'll likely see a starting lineup of Daniels at PG, Shawne Williams at SG, DGranger at SF, JO at PF, and Ike or Murph at C. Could that starting lineup (with everyone hitting on all cylinders) win a championship? That is the question......

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Of course Dunleavy is blocking the progress of Shawne....but which GM is going to take on Dunleavy's overpaid long-term contract?

The answer is no one. Like it not...unless TPTB move Dunleavy with JONeal and Tinsley in the offseason.....then there really isn't much we can do.

BTW....Ike has the same problem....as long as JONeal, Murphy and Foster is on the team....he will only get 10-15 minutes a game.
    Not.
    Williams will start over Dunleavy and Dun will play off the bench. Maybe even next year.
    And Ike WILL displace Murphy at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
    In another year or two, Foster will begin losing some of that feisty energy and without being able to score, Ike will gradually begin taking his minutes. It's just a matter of time...be patient.

Shawne, if he can consistently hit 3s and shoot around 50%, would be a great 2-guard with his height, wing span, quickness, and rebounding. Carlisle won't be able to keep Shawne off the floor, anymore than he can keep Danny off the floor when he starts producing with confidence and consistency.

So in a few years you'll likely see a starting lineup of Daniels at PG, Shawne Williams at SG, DGranger at SF, JO at PF, and Ike or Murph at C. Could that starting lineup (with everyone hitting on all cylinders) win a championship? That is the question......
    No, because we couldn't stop any decent guards.

If you are thinking that Ike can replace JO given enough minutes, or that Williams only needs more monutes to be better then DunDun, and that Tinsley should just be dumped, then I seriously wonder whether you watch any basketball at all.

Ike will be a decent player in the future, but if he ever will be of the level of JO is very very doubtfull.
    Williams is a rook to which all kind of things can happen before he becomes a baller and not replacing Tinsley would in any case determine that we are going to be of the same level as we were in 1979
    All people shouting or craving the above mentioned should consider whether they would buy season tickets in the knowledge that this team would not win more then 24 games a season.
    Walk up tickets? only if they are given away.

JO by all means and purposes is one of the best players if not THE best player that this franchise has seen since the ABA days, He just had the bad luck that Reggie was still here when he came in and none of the other veterans were left.

Same goes for Tinsley, who never had a "better" PG with him on the team from the day he was a rookie.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I don't think the Pacers would have to look hard to find suitors for Jeff Foster when the time comes for Ike to get more minutes.

Also, if Dunleavy proves that his struggles were in part due to being in the wrong system in GS, he will improve his stock to where a few teams will be willing to take a chance on him. Of course, that's a big if. He's seemingly had one good game for every 4 bad ones with the Pacers.

Not sure why we have a Shawne Williams thread right now. We need are we going to trade threads more! Did he play in the SOPH/ ROOKIE CHALLENGE? No. This should be a DANNY GANGER thread. SHAWNE is a few years away from being a starter, not sure why RC starts him and only gives him 6 mins.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    If you are thinking that Ike can replace JO given enough minutes, or that Williams only needs more monutes to be better then DunDun, and that Tinsley should just be dumped, then I seriously wonder whether you watch any basketball at all.

Ike will be a decent player in the future, but if he ever will be of the level of JO is very very doubtfull.
    At what point did I say in my post that Ike should replace JONeal in the lineup?

Maybe I didn't word it the right way....I'm not like most posters here that think that Ike is ready to start in front of either JONeal or Murphy...much less ready to play 20-25 mpg this season. I was trying to point out the obvious....Ike has the same problem that he has had ever since he joined the NBA....he is stuck behind quality Big Men that are simply better then him.

At what point did I say in my post that Ike should replace JONeal in the lineup?

Maybe I didn't word it the right way....I'm not like most posters here that think that Ike is ready to start in front of either JONeal or Murphy...much less ready to play 20-25 mpg this season. I was trying to point out the obvious....Ike has the same problem that he has had ever since he joined the NBA....he is stuck behind quality Big Men that are simply better then him.
    So he has a few options, do like Reggie did, and JO, put extra time in it, develop.
    And what I saw of Ike WITH JO on the same time looked promising to me, give it time.

Think about this, excluding the ABA years, when have the Pacers in all their 30 years in the NBA had a player of the cailber of JO?

once: JO, right, so how big's the chance you find one again ?

Sports Logo

So he has a few options, do like Reggie did, and JO, put extra time in it, develop.
    And what I saw of Ike WITH JO on the same time looked promising to me, give it time.

Think about this, excluding the ABA years, when have the Pacers in all their 30 years in the NBA had a player of the cailber of JO?

once: JO, right, so how big's the chance you find one again ?
    I understand what you're saying, I don't want to move JONeal either....but I think that at some point.....especially after we have gotten rid of SJax and Artest.....TPTB are going to have to decide whether they are better with him or better without him. The best answer is to simply move Tinsley without moving JONeal...possibly packaging Tinsley with Foster to get the best PG available.....then I am fine with that.....but I don't think that we're going to get that much.

I could hope that TPTB will stick with this roster but I don't think that they are going to be satisified if we do not see some improvement and there is very little chance of making any significant roster change given the top heavy contracts of Tinsley, Dunleavy and Murphy.

To me.....if we keep things the way they are....which I am willing to give it a chance ( at least until the end of the Playoffs )....we will either have the option to make "little change" ( like trading for Atkins ) that may make minor improvements in the lineup...or the option to make "a major lineup change" ( like trading JONeal with Tinsley ) for a major shakeup in the lineup. Unfortunately, there is no "in-between" when it comes to our lineup and contracts.

I understand what you're saying, I don't want to move JONeal either....but I think that at some point.....especially after we have gotten rid of SJax and Artest.....TPTB are going to have to decide whether they are better with him or better without him. The best answer is to simply move Tinsley without moving JONeal...possibly packaging Tinsley with Foster to get the best PG available.....then I am fine with that.....but I don't think that we're going to get that much.
    "Better PG", the only one "perhaps" available is KIdd, who is "old" and has the same contract JO has, so you have to seriously wonder if he's worth that kind of money, this year yes, but the next 3?

All other "better" PG's are locked up and not available (there are far less then ppl think) or "promises" and all kind of things can happen to "promises" but they certainly are not available.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that, with Danny and Shawne, the 3 spot is locked up for the foreseeable future.

then I seriously wonder whether you watch any basketball at all.
    I've gotten official warnings for posts no stronger said than that. Why is it different?????????????????????????

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    I think the kid has talent and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He has a smooth jump shot and I like how he rebounds the ball. Still seems to be a little lost in the system, but that's expected.

Only thing I question is where his minutes are going to come from. He's playing behind Granger, Ike, JO, and sometimes Quis & Dunleavy. None of these guys appear to be going anywhere.
    I agree, except I think he doesn't look as lost as I'd expected. He's played smarter than Danny at times this year (when on the court together).

I'd like to see RC settle into this lineup/bench:
    Tins-DA
    Q-Dun
    DG-Shawne
    JO-Ike
    Murph-Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I agree, except I think he doesn't look as lost as I'd expected. He's played smarter than Danny at times this year (when on the court together).

I'd like to see RC settle into this lineup/bench:
    Tins-DA
    Q-Dun
    DG-Shawne
    JO-Ike
    Murph-Foster
    I think Marquis should stay on the bench because we need his spark off the bench. I like the current rotation as it is evening out with Marquis returning from injury. I'm really worried about our backup situation right now, though. Chucky Atkins would be a nice pickup, for example, just so we can use DA as an energizer again.