Thread: Armchair coaching

Default Armchair coaching

Ike's gotta play. Yeh, he doesn't know the plays, and he's never seen a shadow he could box out. But he's got rare low post skills, even though he shot poorly tonight. Play him, with Jermaine some, give him a taste then tell him if he does't put a body on someone every shot he's going to lose it all.
    Foster was a man out there tonight. With Jermaine sitting a bit, he was the energy and maturity that the kids need. He played a great game and hit a couple of pretty layups.
    Danny was excellent. The quick basket after the held ball tip was a thing of beauty. FABULOUS block and a few baskets in close give me some hope he'll remember his inside game some time soon.
    Dunleavy had his typical game. Does all the heady stuff. Moves the ball well and can intiate. But shoots 40% and can't guard anybody. I like him. But he's a bench player unless he shoots 50%. Most of his shots are WIDE OPEN.
    Daniels was super. THis kid is really enchanting me with his game. Great finisher. As good on reverse layups as anyone. had a great pass to an open Ike for a monster slam that woke the crowd up. He's gotta play. Hope his knee holds out.
    Jermaine was his usual superb self that we all take for granted these days.
    Tinsley had a quietly excellent night with 8 assists and only one shot. But what I noticed most is that he sat most of the game. And that the ball moved noticebly better when he was on the bench.
    Once again the starters get behind and the 2nd unit bailed them out. Crappy 1st quarters are getting to be chronic.
    So here's what I would like to see.
    Start Ike/Jermain/Danny/Quis/Darrell see what happens. What could it hurt? ")

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Armchair coaching

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Play him, with Jermaine some, give him a taste then tell him if he does't put a body on someone every shot he's going to lose it all.
    I like Ike... and think he will eventually be one heck of a player.

But to me it seems a little petty to threaten Ike if he doesn't block out when it is so very obvious that JO, our supposed leader, hasn't been threatened with the same thing, despite how many rebounds JO might be collaring.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I like Ike... and think he will eventually be one heck of a player.

But to me it seems a little petty to threaten Ike if he doesn't block out when it is so very obvious that JO, our supposed leader, hasn't been threatened with the same thing, despite how many rebounds JO might be collaring.
    Petty to demand that he do the things that WE NEED in order for him to secure playing time?
    I think not.
    When and if Ike averages 20/10, then we'll have someone else do the dirty work. Just like we did for Jermaine. (ok, I hope we don't repeat that part)

Maceo Baston would have been more effective than Ike last night I believe. What we would have lost in points, we would have gained in defensive presence and savy.

Ike makes a lot of mistakes and is often a defensive liability, but it's obvious the coaching staff has decided to grin and bear it and let him play through the negatives. Because, no doubt, the kid can score the ball and has the greater upside.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    Maceo Baston would have been more effective than Ike last night I believe. What we would have lost in points, we would have gained in defensive presence and savy.

Ike makes a lot of mistakes and is often a defensive liability, but it's obvious the coaching staff has decided to grin and bear it and let him play through the negatives. Because, no doubt, the kid can score the ball and has the greater upside.
    I agree, Ike makes a ton of little mistakes - most fans don't pick up on though. But the coaches sure do and his teammates sure do. Jeff was upset with him several times last night because he wasn't where he was supposed to be in the team defense and even on offense.

I like Ike though, he has a certain talent to score the ball - but it's going to take some time - I just hope that is all it takes is time.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

if we take the view that this is not a contending season - imo, we would be lucky to get past the 2nd round - then player development should be one of our priorities.

i'm happy with the ~10 min that diogu is getting per game. i think it would help his development a lot, while limiting the damage to the team (due to rookie mistakes, etc)

likewise, i'm happy that shawne is getting some daylight again. 10 min sounds about right for him too

I don't think it's too difficult to see that Ike is lost out there at times. I'm with you on hoping that it DOES come in time. I like have a bear type guy around jermaine. A lot.
    As long as we don't make the same mistake with Ike that we do with Jermaine. He's not 6'11". Keep the ball moving around like the 2nd unit is now and his post up game will justify his time. Throw it in to him and stand around while he gets doubled by guys much taller and it can get ugly. But then that was the case with Jermaine too before this year. Give him time. But PLAY the guys with Difference Making Talent.