Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 217

Thread: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

  1. #176
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey don't knock it, it's my only chance. In fact, I have already reserved a room with the hopes I won't get one next to the ice machine.
    LOL - someone's read Dante!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  2. #177
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure there are - sins which are unrepentant. If you ask for forgiveness you will be given it but you have to ask.

    Now not all sins are automatic tickets to The Hot Place - the Catholic Church has even tried to quantify them by categorizing them into mortal and venial sins. But even for a venial sin you won't be forgiven unless you repent and ask.

    Heck - the Church even invented Purgatory to deal with the whole unrepentant venial sin situation.

    Fortunately, being brought up Methodist, I never had to worry about Purgatory - or praying for all the Saints & Mary to intercede when someone died. That would have been waaaay too confusing.

    This thread is doomed for either Politics or Shout Box. I think the basketball content has left the building.
    Unforgivable means you won't be forgiven no matter what you do. If you ask for forgiveness, and recieve it, how is it unforgivable?

    The only thing you can do that will seal your fate into hell, is to not believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that he died for our sins.

    If you are Christian, all sins are washed away. Believing is the key part though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand you here. You say there is no unforgivable sin, and then you quote a scripture that shows there is an unforgivable sin. Explain your thinking here please!
    There is no unforgivable sin for a Christian. There is an unforgivable sin, in a nonbeliever, and that is not believing.

    "Speaking against the Holy Sprit" is saying that you deny that Jesus was the Son of Christ, and that he died for our sins.

  3. #178
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How strictly do you follow what he says? To the letter of the law, or just "within reason"?
    He says he will give everlasting life to those obeying him. Not to those who only obey went THEY want to.

  4. #179
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Hicks and Will got my point. Mourning missed it entirely.

    If "We we're just wired that way" is a proper argument for gays then it's a proper argument (and excuse) for just about anything. That cannot be right, therefore the discussion needs framed differently.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  5. #180
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unforgivable means you won't be forgiven no matter what you do. If you ask for forgiveness, and recieve it, how is it unforgivable?

    The only thing you can do that will seal your fate into hell, is to not believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that he died for our sins.

    If you are Christian, all sins are washed away. Believing is the key part though.
    Forgiven but certainly not forgotten. I suggest you read this parable:

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 18:23-50
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3"Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents[a] was brought to him. 25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

    26"The servant fell on his knees before him. 'Be patient with me,' he begged, 'and I will pay back everything.' 27The servant's master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

    28"But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii.[b] He grabbed him and began to choke him. 'Pay back what you owe me!' he demanded.

    29"His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.'

    30"But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened.

    32"Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

    35"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart."
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  6. #181
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    But forgiven


    It still goes back to the original post. No one is saying that just because he is gay, he's thrown into hell for the rest of eternity, no matter what he does.

    His sin carries just as much weight as the rest of them, and he still has the New Covenant available to him, if he already hasn't taken part.

  7. #182
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,214
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    and I have read interpretations of thos lines about "put to death" and such as meaning losing your eternal soul. Condemnation to Hell if you will.
    also:

    I'm paraphrasing the quote that says... "Cast not thy seed upon the ground nor in the belly of a whore." as meaning no masturbation, no fornication. Why not? Again it is putting your desires above those of God.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  8. #183
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Speaking against the Holy Sprit" is saying that you deny that Jesus was the Son of Christ, and that he died for our sins.
    Sorry I split it up but I had to restart my computer before finishing. I have to disagree with what you said. Look at the verse again.

    "And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

    The holy spirit is a connection between God and us and to permanently deny the graces or God himself acting through the HS cannot be forgiven because you are rejecting the forgiveness. The best I heard as a test was if you are asking yourself if you are rejecting the Holy Spirit, then chances are really good that you are not.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  9. #184
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But forgiven
    But can be lost. As the parable illustrates that we as sinners of just about everything can lose our forgiveness by going and condemning a gay man because he is gay.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  10. #185
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But can be lost. As the parable illustrates that we as sinners of just about everything can lose our forgiveness by going and condemning a gay man because he is gay.
    Where does it say he will be turned away from Heaven?

    The most famous Bible passage says the exact opposite of what you're saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by John 3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    Which is followed by this
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g] 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."[h]

  11. #186
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He says he will give everlasting life to those obeying him. Not to those who only obey went THEY want to.
    So do you willingly sin or not?

  12. #187
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no unforgivable sin for a Christian. There is an unforgivable sin, in a nonbeliever, and that is not believing.

    "Speaking against the Holy Sprit" is saying that you deny that Jesus was the Son of Christ, and that he died for our sins.
    Okay I understand you now although I disagree. The scripture you quoted clearly says you can speak against Christ.

    "31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
    Matthew 12:31-32 NIVMatthew 12:31-32 NIV

  13. #188
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    I don't disagree as what you pointed out is the foundation for Christian salvation however there are verses that certainly point out that you there is not an assurance of salvation.

    Consider Romans 11:22

    Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

    Or 2 Peter 2:20-21

    If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

    Hebrews 10:26-29

    If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?


    Matt. 7:21

    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.


    I can go on and on. The point is, if all we have to do is "accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior", then that final judgement that we keep hearing about is trivial at best.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  14. #189
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do you willingly sin or not?
    The best answer I can give is to echo the Apostle Paul. (Romans 7:21-25) 21 I find, then, this law in my case: that when I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I behold in my members another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin?s law that is in my members. 24 Miserable man that I am! Who will rescue me from the body undergoing this death? 25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with [my] mind I myself am a slave to God?s law, but with [my] flesh to sin?s law.

    That pretty much sums it up for everyone trying to obey God.

    I spoke before about the Israelites agreeing to be God's nation or people. The laws they were given, the bible explains, was a tutor leading to Christ.

    What's that mean?

    It means they has exact rules/laws laid out in front of them. They didn't have any doubts about what was right or wrong, still they couldn't keep them because they, the Israelites, were imperfect, having inherited that imperfection from Adam.

    Adam, before he sinned was a perfect man, no children were born to Adam and Eve before they sinned, thus mankind needed a redeemer or someone to ransom them. That, the bible explains took a corresponding sacrifice. That's why Christ Jesus had to die. It took another perfect man to ransom mankind from sin and death. He gave up his life so that we might live.

    Thus God provided a set of rules and laws for mankind that none, (but one) could keep. Thus those laws were a tutor leading to Christ.

    Thus Christ Jesus died so that Adam's offspring can have a chance at what Adam lost for us. The chance for everlasting life.

  15. #190

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    According to Brian Flemming -
    "Jesus was a great guy! He'd forgive you for anything. Lying, murder, Internet pornography, anything. He'd even forgive you for speaking against Jesus himself. But apparently just to make things interesting, Jesus did add one extra rule to the mix. There actually is one unforgivable sin: denial of the Holy Spirit. If you do that, you are eternally damned. It says so right there in the Bible, twice. It's a doubly infallible rule. Deny the Holy Spirit and you can never, ever, go anywhere but Hell. And as luck would have it, the Holy Spirit is the easiest thing in the entire Doctrine to doubt. God is out of your reach, Jesus was two thousand years ago, but the Holy Spirit is with you, right here, right now, so you'd better really actually feel the Holy Spirit. You can't deny it in your thoughts, because Jesus is *in* your thoughts. And if your mind starts to wander to the fact that there's no more evidence for this Holy Spirit than there is for the existence of unicorns? Guess what you may have done. The greatest crime in fundamentalist Christianity is to think. And when I was a Village Christian, I was terrified that I'd accidentally done this."
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

  16. #191
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unforgivable means you won't be forgiven no matter what you do. If you ask for forgiveness, and recieve it, how is it unforgivable?
    You've missed my point - one of them anyway since I went on a tangent because I think I've been in on this discussion three times in the last year on this board.

    Someone who is gay and engaging in intimate relations with a person of the same sex can hardly be a person who is repentant. He or she won't be forgiven unless they give up their lifestyle and repent.

    Once you get to the base assumption that being gay is a sin anyway. The Bible doesn't leave much doubt of that. Neither does most of Christianity.

    The question then becomes, is being gay a level of sinful behavior which God would send someone to hell for?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #192
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've missed my point - one of them anyway since I went on a tangent because I think I've been in on this discussion three times in the last year on this board.

    Someone who is gay and engaging in intimate relations with a person of the same sex can hardly be a person who is repentant. He or she won't be forgiven unless they give up their lifestyle and repent.

    Once you get to the base assumption that being gay is a sin anyway. The Bible doesn't leave much doubt of that. Neither does most of Christianity.

    The question then becomes, is being gay a level of sinful behavior which God would send someone to hell for?

    God's forgiveness and grace is never-ending and is boundless. God forgives sin - it is washed away - he doesn't keep a record of it - it is forgotten. If someone truly accepts Jesus as their personal lord and savior, believes Jesus is God. Technically once a person does that with all their heart - and God will know if it is sincere - that person is guaranteed eternal life in heaven. I don't care if they kill ten people - I don't care what they do - heaven is guarenteed.

  18. #193
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God's forgiveness and grace is never-ending and is boundless. God forgives sin - it is washed away - he doesn't keep a record of it - it is forgotten. If someone truly accepts Jesus as their personal lord and savior, believes Jesus is God. Technically once a person does that with all their heart - and God will know if it is sincere - that person is guaranteed eternal life in heaven. I don't care if they kill ten people - I don't care what they do - heaven is guarenteed.
    Not according to Catholics as well as various other versions of Christianity.

    Dogma is wonderful thing.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #194
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not according to Catholics as well as various other versions of Christianity.

    Dogma is wonderful thing.
    I realize that, I'm only speaking for what I believe.

  20. #195
    Member lumber man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    indianapolis
    Age
    40
    Posts
    329

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand you here. You say there is no unforgivable sin, and then you quote a scripture that shows there is an unforgivable sin. Explain your thinking here please!
    i once heard a Christian teacher give his idea of the "unforgivable sin". he felt that "the blasphemy of the holy spirit" was when a person is struggling with sin in his/her life (all of us), and that person can feel God working on their heart and wanting them to change, but that person continually blows off those feelings of guilt knowing that they need to change. and thats where sin becomes unforgivable, when God/His Holy Spirit (however you want to put it) is pushed away continually. kinda like God was doing His part but that person wouldn't meet Him halfway, so to speak. i can't explain it as well as the teacher did.

  21. #196
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,915
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    LAS VEGAS, NV, Feb. 13, 2007 - Comets forward Sheryl Swoopes has been keeping a low profile this offseason, choosing not to travel overseas to play and give her body a rest. Of course, she is taking a break from resting and getting involved in as many activities as she can here in Las Vegas. WNBA.com editor emeritus Matt Wurst caught up with Swoopes at the YMCA of Southern Nevada where she joined WNBA great Jennifer Azzi and former NBA stars Jerome Williams and Tim Hardaway to launch the new NBA Fit launch.

    http://www.wnba.com/voices/swoopes_070214.html

    So Timmy was hanging with Sheryl the day before he announced his hatred for gay people. Interesting.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  22. #197
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God's forgiveness and grace is never-ending and is boundless. God forgives sin - it is washed away - he doesn't keep a record of it - it is forgotten. If someone truly accepts Jesus as their personal lord and savior, believes Jesus is God. Technically once a person does that with all their heart - and God will know if it is sincere - that person is guaranteed eternal life in heaven. I don't care if they kill ten people - I don't care what they do - heaven is guarenteed.
    Can you tell us why you think that is right? And how do you respond to the passages I posted above?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  23. #198
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,216
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i once heard a Christian teacher give his idea of the "unforgivable sin". he felt that "the blasphemy of the holy spirit" was when a person is struggling with sin in his/her life (all of us), and that person can feel God working on their heart and wanting them to change, but that person continually blows off those feelings of guilt knowing that they need to change. and thats where sin becomes unforgivable, when God/His Holy Spirit (however you want to put it) is pushed away continually. kinda like God was doing His part but that person wouldn't meet Him halfway, so to speak. i can't explain it as well as the teacher did.
    Yep that's pretty much the best explanation that I heard and it's hard to explain (as I tried).
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  24. #199
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    *** it-2 pp. 1023-1024 Spirit ***

    Gaining and retaining God?s spirit. Gaining and retaining God’s spirit. The holy spirit is God’s “free gift,” which he gladly grants to those who sincerely seek and request it. (Ac 2:38; Lu 11:9-13) A right heart is the key factor (Ac 15:8), but knowledge and conformity to God’s requirements are also essential factors. (Compare Ac 5:32; 19:2-6.) Once received, the Christian should not ‘grieve’ God’s spirit by disregarding it (Eph 4:30; compare Isa 63:10), taking a course contrary to its leading, fixing the heart on goals other than that to which it points and impels, rejecting the inspired Word of God and its counsel and application to oneself. (Ac 7:51-53; 1Th 4:8; compare Isa 30:1, 2.) By hypocrisy one can “play false” to that holy spirit by which Christ directs the congregation, and those who “make a test” of its power in this way follow a disastrous course. (Ac 5:1-11; contrast Ro 9:1.) Deliberate opposition to and rebellion against the evident manifestation of God’s spirit can mean blasphemy against that spirit, a sin that is unforgivable.—Mt 12:31, 32; Mr 3:29, 30; compare Heb 10:26-31.
    ---------

    I probably have a hundred books on religion as well as about 11 English translations of the bible. I also have a lot of stuff on disks. The above is taken from one of the disks and I think clarify's what blasphemy against the spirit is.

    Note you have to ask for it, and you have to be sincere. Then when it is granted to you, and note you have to be doing God's will for it to be granted to you, then you have to deliberately go against it when you KNOW it's operating though you.

    Thus it's not everyone that has a chance to even sin against the spirit.

  25. #200
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Hardaway's Comments on Homosexuality

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God's forgiveness and grace is never-ending and is boundless. God forgives sin - it is washed away - he doesn't keep a record of it - it is forgotten. If someone truly accepts Jesus as their personal lord and savior, believes Jesus is God. Technically once a person does that with all their heart - and God will know if it is sincere - that person is guaranteed eternal life in heaven. I don't care if they kill ten people - I don't care what they do - heaven is guarenteed.
    That's the belief, Once saved always saved, that a lot of people believe.

    *** g78 4/8 pp. 27-28 ***

    “Once Saved, Always Saved”—How Certain?

    THE “Son of Sam” killer terrorized New York city residents for more than a year, killing six random victims and wounding several others. Yet the person accused of the crime reportedly had been “saved” at a church meeting about four years before his reign of terror began.

    A former army friend of the suspect who had invited him to the church meeting relates that the new convert “came up to me grinning and laughing and saying, ‘Man, I’m saved.’ Then we came back that same day for the evening service and he went forward again at the invitation [to accept Christ]. He told me afterward that he just wanted to make sure it [being “saved”] took.”

    Upon hearing the charges against this former member of her church, another member told the Associated Press: “I’m just thankful he was saved.” Why? She declared: “The Bible says, once saved, always saved.”—New York Post, August 25, 1977, p. 2.

    Does the Bible actually say, “Once saved, always saved”? No, it does not use those words in any specific text, but many sincere people believe that this is what the Bible teaches. And it is true that a number of Bible texts indicate that the basis for salvation is not one’s works, but, rather, faith in Jesus Christ, together with God’s “grace” and mercy. (Eph. 2:8, 9; 2 Tim. 1:9; Titus 3:4, 5) Additionally, Jesus himself said that “he that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life.”—John 3:36, Authorized Version (AV); 1 John 5:13.

    From such references it is often reasoned that if one ‘has everlasting life,’ he actually possesses it permanently; it cannot be lost, or, as many would have it: “Once saved, always saved.” However, does this understanding fully express the Scriptural view of gaining everlasting life?

    Well, Christians concerned about their salvation may also wish to consider Jesus’ declaration that “he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” (Matt. 10:22; 24:12, 13; Mark 13:13, AV) And the apostle Paul comments similarly: “For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.”—Heb. 3:14, AV.

    How are we to reconcile these seeming disparities? Surely these servants of God were not contradicting themselves. Rather, were they not merely expressing the same understanding from different viewpoints? The apostle Paul provides the key to harmonizing these viewpoints.

    Time and again Paul likens the Christian’s course to a “race” that must be run to the finish. “Let us run with patience the race that is set before us,” he urged the Hebrews. (12:1, AV) To enter the race, sinners must take the steps necessary for salvation: hearing and accepting the Word of God, believing in Jesus Christ and his ransom sacrifice, repenting of their sins and being baptized. In this way, they get saved “from this crooked generation,” as Peter exhorted those gathered at Pentecost. Unbelievers are outside the race, having failed to enter by getting “saved.”—Acts 2:37-40, Revised Standard Version (RSV); 16:31-33; Rom. 10:13, 14.

    Once entered in the race by being “saved,” a Christian takes “hold of the life which is life indeed.” But is it possible to lose that grip on life? Paul answers with this question: “Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize?” In the Christian race, Paul indicates the “one” who receives the prize is anyone who finishes the race. Therefore, Paul urges, “So run that you may obtain it.” Then, using himself as an example to make the point of his illustration, he continues: “I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”—1 Tim. 6:19; 1 Cor. 9:24-27, RSV.

    Evidently the apostle, who surely was a “saved” Christian, believed that even he could be “disqualified” from the race. Yet as long as he continued to ‘run that he might obtain’ the prize, thus remaining in the race, salvation was assured. This is why Christians who remain in the race can be said to ‘have everlasting life.’ But if they should ever quit the race, they are “disqualified,” losing their hold on everlasting life.

    Hence, Paul follows up his remarks on the Christian’s race by cautioning about the danger of overconfidence. Using the example of the Israelites who were saved through the Red Sea, yet fell to wrongdoing in the wilderness, he warned: “We [“saved” Christians] must not put the Lord to the test.” Then, driving his point home, he declared: “Let any one who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” Yes, it could happen, even to “saved” ones!—1 Cor. 10:1-12, RSV.

    This is why, throughout his writings, Paul consistently emphasized his own need to stay in the race. For example, of his hoped-for reward of the resurrection, he said: “I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” It was only after Paul neared the end of his life that he wrote: “I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” At this point in his life, he could finally say with confidence: “Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award me on that Day.”—Phil. 3:11-14; 2 Tim. 4:6-8, RSV.

    Paul’s view of his own salvation, then, is consistent with Jesus’ comments mentioned earlier about ‘enduring to the end’ to be saved.—See also Revelation 2:10; 3:11, 12, AV.

    The foregoing helps us to see why Paul repeatedly entreated “saved” Christians to be on guard. Their everlasting salvation was still at stake. Addressing the obviously “saved” Hebrew Christians who had been “illuminated” and who had “endured a great fight of afflictions,” he warns: “If we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.” The sacrificial benefits that “saved” such persons, then, can be lost. Why? Because such a person “hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto [outraged, RSV] the Spirit of grace.”—Heb. 10:26-32, AV.

    Yes, Christians who truly appreciate the salvation provided through Christ and God’s grace will not be overconfident. They will strive to remain in the race like Paul and the other early Christians, whom he encouraged to “work out [their] own salvation with fear and trembling.”—Phil. 2:12, AV.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •