Thread: 3 Pacers questions

Default 3 Pacers questions

I've recently come to realize that I still love the Indiana Pacers. I'm just no longer "in love" with them. I know it's the classic breakup cliche, but it's the most accurate description of how I feel about this team. I've been to 1 game all year (free tickets, very good seats) and I don't think I've watched a full game on tv all year. I don't constantly check the standings and box scores. I haven't "scouted" other teams on league pass. I keep tabs on how they are doing, but the team no longer has any real effect on my daily life. (I'm sure my wife is happy about that).

I know this is no revelation - many apparently have similar feelings. Even when I do try to care I come here and there is much less discussion and very little passion, IMO. I'm sure there are many reasons - the public relations issues (Rio, 8 seconds), the mediocre record, the boring style of play, and the Colts success. For me, I think it is largely managements desire to keep fans happy and butts in the seats. IMO I'm being called a fickel, ignorant basketball fan in the process. They do not believe that I see the only way out of this mess is to rebuild or that I will support the team during that process. Instead I'm given lateral or backwards moves that put this team no closer to true contention - now or in the future.

Maybe they are right about the fan base in general. I know I've seen it said here several times - the fans won't support rebuilding. I find it hard to believe people would rather watch a boring, mediocre team with no future than an exciting, young team thats building towards something. Something more than a first round playoff loss.

Regardless of who's right, I've lost my passion. I'm stuck in a dead end relationship. I'm not ready for a divorce, but I need to see a reason to care - soon.

That brings me to 3 questions:

1) Can this team be fixed without a true rebuilding process? If so how?

2) Would the fan base support a true 2-3 year rebuilding process?

3) I have quoted a trade below that I suggested in the offseason. In hindsight would you have done it? (Disregard whether NY would have)

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Stephen Jackson
    Jamaal Tinsley

Incoming
    Jalen Rose (expiring)
    Jamal Crawford
    Channing Frye
    David Lee
    #20 Pick
    #29 Pick

That gives us only about $25,000,000 million in committed salaries for the 2007 / 08 season (not counting three late draft choices or resigning Peja / Freddie)

AJ / Sarunas
    Crawford / Rose
    Granger / Rose
    Fry / Croshere / Lee
    Foster / Harrison
    3 late draft picks + possible S & T of Peja and Freddie

Thats ugly, but we would clear our past sins, have some young talent, caproom, and flexibility (with Croshere + Rose expiring contracts).

Even though that team would suck, I'd bet the fans would like it more.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously you would like to get better talent or higher draft choices, but I think to do that you will have to take back bad contracts. Golden State has some talent and a higher pick, but I wouldn't want Fishers, Foyles, or etc contracts.

I like JO more than some, but we are dangerously close to being what Minnesotta is - one really good player surrounded by mediocre talent. Our talent (or potential) has gone steadily down hill the last 2-3 years. Unless we want to remain mediocre we have two options IMO - roll the dice with someone elses high priced headache (Steve Francis, etc) or blow it up completly, clear capspace and acquire young talent / picks.

If there is ever a year that the fans will except a poor team it will be this upcoming season. As long as they play hard and there is a longterm plan think it would be excepted. With next year being touted as a deep draft the time is right IMO to start clean.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Default Re: 3 Pacers questions

It depends on what you mean by fixed. I seriously doubt we can be a contender without an influx of talent. We have lost a lot of talent and potential talent over the last 3-4 years. It has hurt are chances to compete at a high level. So, to get that talent back, I think it will require a rebuild. It is not going to happen for a few years regardless of what we do. No one is going to toss us quality players for nothing.

I am convinced the fans would support a rebuilding process. For one, there are still faithful fans after they have been kicked in the teeth the last few years. Imagine a team they can at least have some future hope in. Indiana fans like the players to play the right way. They like to win, but they care a lot about the other things...on and off the court.

3) I have quoted a trade below that I suggested in the offseason. In hindsight would you have done it? (Disregard whether NY would have)

Hindsight needs to consider the trade we did make. Would you rather have these players:

Lee
    Harrington
    Frye
    Crawford

- or -

JO
    Ike
    Dunleavy
    Murphy

JO is clearly the best player...and you can only have one starting PF. So, I would take who we have now. ...and I don't think Lee and Frye are a better frontcourt than JO and Foster. So I would keep JO.

Default Re: 3 Pacers questions

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It depends on what you mean by fixed. I seriously doubt we can be a contender without an influx of talent. We have lost a lot of talent and potential talent over the last 3-4 years. It has hurt are chances to compete at a high level. So, to get that talent back, I think it will require a rebuild. It is not going to happen for a few years regardless of what we do. No one is going to toss us quality players for nothing.

I am convinced the fans would support a rebuilding process. For one, there are still faithful fans after they have been kicked in the teeth the last few years. Imagine a team they can at least have some future hope in. Indiana fans like the players to play the right way. They like to win, but they care a lot about the other things...on and off the court.

Hindsight needs to consider the trade we did make. Would you rather have these players:

Lee
    Harrington
    Frye
    Crawford

- or -

JO
    Ike
    Dunleavy
    Murphy

JO is clearly the best player...and you can only have one starting PF. So, I would take who we have now. ...and I don't think Lee and Frye are a better frontcourt than JO and Foster. So I would keep JO.

Give me:

Rookie PG (Lowry, Williams, Rondo, or Farmer) / Sarunas / DA
    Crawford / Marshal / James White
    Granger / Williams /
    Frye / Lee / Croshere / Powell
    Foster / Harrison

Over what we have now. Sure that team sucks, but it has a future. The roster is much more balanced. It has only two questionable contracts : Crawford and Sarunas - Croshere would be expiring. We'd have a very good pick in the upcoming draft and loads of flexibility.

I just hate where the team currently is. Every move seems to hurt the future more without much short term gain.