Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunleavy Pacers Player of the Week

Default Dunleavy Pacers Player of the Week

"PLAYER OF THE WEEK
    Under the circumstances, how could it be anyone other than Dunleavy? Not only did he have consecutive games of at least 20 points, for the week he posted all-around averages of 16.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.5 steals while shooting 26-of-52 (.500) from the field and .476 (10-of-21) from the 3-point line. "

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_070212.html
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Dunleavy Pacers Player of the Week

Looks like he's broken out of his mini-slump in a big way.

Of all the players involved in the trade he has the most to prove and the most incentive to change the opinions of those who are down on him. It's good to see him catch a few kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of all the players involved in the trade he has the most to prove and the most incentive to change the opinions of those who are down on him. It's good to see him catch a few kudos.
    funny thing, Warriors fans only wanted him to be a Dirk Nowitzki player or the next Larry Bird, only because its a weak team, and in order for the warriors to win, they needed a scorer, and he is not it, and that's why the warriors fans are down on him, they thought him and Murph will be the savior..

one other thing the fans hate about mike, is his Large Contract, but this is not his fault

I loved to read his dad's discription of his son's game. Mike is what I call a winning player. He helps his team win and overall I'm really glad he's on the Pacers team. He's better than I thought

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    Looks like he's broken out of his mini-slump in a big way.
    When did 2 months become "mini"? I wouldn't even call 10 games "mini". Cripes, that's 1/8th of the season he spent shooting 37% from the field for the Pacers.

67% over 2 games is insane, esp. on 27 attempts. Great pair of games for him and worthy of a player of the week award. I'd be happy if he could just get to 45% regularly rather than going totally off once every 5-6 games. The team is trying to go 4-2, not 1-5.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    When did 2 months become "mini"? I wouldn't even call 10 games "mini". Cripes, that's 1/8th of the season he spent shooting 37% from the field for the Pacers.

67% over 2 games is insane, esp. on 27 attempts. Great pair of games for him and worthy of a player of the week award. I'd be happy if he could just get to 45% regularly rather than going totally off once every 5-6 games. The team is trying to go 4-2, not 1-5.
    We're not talking about Stephen Jackson here. Yeesh.

I look for Dunleavy's overall percentage to improve as he gets more comfortable with the system.

Maybe I'm missing something - he's not a great shooter by any means but he's not *that* streaky over his career.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I don't think you can count his stint with the Warriors. He didn't fit in with the team and the home town crowd was booing him even after having a good game.

I think he is playing much more relaxed now, waiting for the game to come to him instead of being a king-pin. He can play under the radar and do the things that he does well. We don't expect him to be a go-to guy, so the pressure is off him.

I think that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win even if it meant that he shot very little. I don't think he will be nearly as streaky here and that the past week's performance will become more of the norm.

Two years from now we will be talking about the "great trade" and he will be the biggest reason.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    I don't think you can count his stint with the Warriors. He didn't fit in with the team and the home town crowd was booing him even after having a good game.

I think he is playing much more relaxed now, waiting for the game to come to him instead of being a king-pin. He can play under the radar and do the things that he does well. We don't expect him to be a go-to guy, so the pressure is off him.

I think that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win even if it meant that he shot very little. I don't think he will be nearly as streaky here and that the past week's performance will become more of the norm.

Two years from now we will be talking about the "great trade" and he will be the biggest reason.
    I agree with everything in this post except the bolded part. Two years from now, we'll be talking about how great a trade it was, and IKE DIOGU will be the biggest reason. It'll be like this: "I can't believe we got Ike for Jackson and Harrington! They even threw in MDJ! Wow, what a deal that was!"
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I don't have time to re-run this now, but the standard deviation on SJax's scoring and/or his FG% was outrageously high.

I think Dunleavy's might be a bit high for his position, but I think the points Roferr makes above are compelling explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I agree with everything in this post except the bolded part. Two years from now, we'll be talking about how great a trade it was, and IKE DIOGU will be the biggest reason. It'll be like this: "I can't believe we got Ike for Jackson and Harrington! They even threw in MDJ! Wow, what a deal that was!"
    No doubt, Ike has a ton of potential. With a little more playing time, he'll be much better. However, I don't look for him to be with the club in a couple of years. Not because of his output but because of his trade value and the fact that we are stocked amply with big men.

Ultimately, I think he will be a better player than Dun but I don't think we have seen just how good Dun can be with the right team. He reminds me somewhat of Billy Cummingham, although, I don't put him in his league.

2 months? ??? The trade wasn't even quite a month ago.

And for the record - the 43.3% Dunleavy has shot in his 12 games with the Pacers is higher than all but one of Stephen Jackson's seven season's - his final in San Antonio, where he shot 43.5, a whopping .2% better.

Dunleavy's shooting 44.4% on the season, and that's including his mini-slump with the Pacers. Now that it looks as if that's behind him, he should be back to his normal solid 45% shooting self.

As the numbers show us, despite what the Jackson-apologists will try and have you believe, Dunleavy has in fact given us more production this year than "Action Jackson". And to further add to this, these numbers are the norm for Jackson whereas they're actually slightly sub-par for Dunleavy. So once Dunleavy gets more of a feel for the team and coach Carlisle, expect the gap in production to further widen (as we've seen the past few games)

Fewer turnovers, significantly better 3FG%, essentially the same number of steals and assists - you might think this was an even trade off. And then you get the to rebounds.

But even ignoring the rebounds, Dunleavy requires far fewer touches (measured by missed shots and turnovers) to contribute one less point per game.

And this is a guy that generally "hasn't played that well" overall during his first 12 games, although he's shown a lot of progress in the last couple. Most importantly, I expect to see his assist and rebound numbers continue to improve as he gets more familiar with the structure.

From a team perspective, Dunleavy >>>> SJax. But of course, SJax would crush him in a game of one-on-one. (And if they were playing H-O-R-S-E, we might be here all night waiting for one of them to hit some shots.)

Dunleavy has put together some good games for the Pacers.

I just hope he contintues to play well.

I think that his two biggest weaknesses are inconsistant play and defense. As time goes on and he gets more comfortable hopefully he can play consistant and we know exactly what to expect of him. That is what i'm hoping for.

Sports Logo

Whether Dunleavy is streaky or not.....as a 3rd ( sometimes 2nd or 4th ) scoring option....I don't care as much....I care that he doesn't bring the same on/off-court baggage that SJax brings.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Not to mention that most of his shots come within the flow of the offense unlike Jack, who often takes contested 3s with :16 on the shot clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post

First, if we aren't counting GS then WTF are we judging him by? College? Please. Let me know about Walton having a greater NBA career than Smits.

Second, give Dun a break because the home fans booed him? What exactly was that sound I heard LAST YEAR (ie, before Rio) when Jack got the ball in Conseco?

Third, he had 10 games of generally poor shooting with the Pacers first. This is 2 games. And you are asking me to buy into the 2 games?

Replace the name Dunleavy with Jackson when you read the box score and then evalute his stat lines, simply to be fair and balanced on the issue.

It frustrates me to no end that 40% is "good" for one guy and "terrible" for another. Geez, you were defending Foster shooting below 40% too as if I was just personally attacking the guy. 40% FG is not good for anyone, which is why I said Jack was shooting horribly in November.

The FG% isn't a trick stat. You take shots and then you make or miss them. It's the most fundamental part of the game. And Dunleavy has shown a real up and down knack with it.

It's so silly that people are rushing to defend Dun as if somehow him being no better than Jack threatens them with the return of Jack. Jack is gone, you can breathe. All I'm saying is that so far the streaky shooter part isn't gone.

It's as simple as 37% then 67%. It doesn't get streakier than that. He also had a 2 week hot streak in GS just before the trade. He also had a red hot November before about 6-7 weeks of terrible shooting.

I don't have it in for Dun or anything, these are just the cold facts of his game at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83
    2 months? ??? The trade wasn't even quite a month ago.
    Did you miss the part where he played NBA ball before he joined the Pacers?

I didn't say worse FG%, I said JUST AS STREAKY. 37 to 67, repeat it. That's how you got to 43. It's not like this guy comes out with 5-11, 5-9, 6-13 over and over.

6-17 (really, Jay, 17 FGA doesn't count as needing touches?)
    5-13
    1-7
    3-11
    4-15

Those are Jackson lines right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Dunleavy requires far fewer touches (measured by missed shots and turnovers)
    Untrue statement. Not sure why you chose to say this. I see Jack and Dun equal this year on assist (3.1 each with Indy) and nearly on TOs (2.2 to 2.0). Jackson took 11.6 FGA per game this year. Dunleavy has taken 11.2 with the Pacers.

These aren't hidden numbers or anything, basic ESPN Pacers stats, so I don't understand why someone would misrepresent them. He takes the same # of shots, he turns it over the same, he doesn't make any more assists, his shot is just as inconsistant.

How did you read his equal missed shots and turnovers and equate that to "far fewer touches"? Sincerely, I think that question deserves an answer. It's easy to discredit a player's game with false numbers. I hated Reggie Miller because he shot 25% from 3 and took 12 3PA per game at that rate. If it were true then I'd have a point, but it isn't so why would I say it?

When presented with a neutral situation you can tell a lot about the baggage fans bring to the table. You sure as heck don't see me saying Jackson was better than Dun. Why? Because he wasn't. If I loved Jack in some biased way then I'd be promoting him as better than Dun, but I don't feel that way at all. I just think so far the Dun/Jack thing is much ado about nothing. Same old problem still exists in a new uniform.

And for what Dun makes vs Jackson, Dun owes the team more than a couple of extra boards per game. Jackson has 20.6m more over 3 years left. Dun will be on the Pacers payroll (barring a trade) for 4 more years and a total of 37.5m. Jack's final year is 7.6m, Dun's salary even next year is already at 8.2m. So salary-wise Dun should be held to a HIGHER standard anyway. He costs more to have on the team.

Finally, Roferr's pet point - MPG. Jack "always" got 36 like clockwork, a point that was beaten to death the last 2 years...expect he only averaged 32 mpg with the Pacers this year. DunDun OTOH is out there 35 on average despite producing nearly the same down the line till the last 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83
    these numbers are the norm for Jackson whereas they're actually slightly sub-par for Dunleavy
    Enough of this misiformation already. Look at the 3pt% and FG% for both players from LAST YEAR.

Dun in 05-06, 82 games played, 32 mpg, 10 FGA/game
    40.6%, 28.5% (let me guess, a mini-slump of 82 games straight...why isn't it possible that these numbers are as much his norm as the numbers for 2 years ago?)

Now Jack, just in case you forgot
    41.1, 34.5 (is it just me, or are those numbers higher?)

You don't excuse Jackson's first month of shooting this year (when removed he is outshooting Dun on the season), but you DO EXCUSE Dun's DEC/JAN with GS and his first 10 games in Indy?

Does that really seem on the up and up to you? Would you mind paying my taxes this year and I'll pay none. That sounds just about as fair. Why hold everyone to the same standards after all.

I'm not anti-Dun or pro-Jack. I am however disgusted by the desire to give Dun a break on the same things that allegedly proved that Jack was a bad player. I don't consider that an outrageous or unreasonable request.

More proof about his streaky shooting, right back with 5-14 tonight after those 2 scorching games.

But yeah, it's just me lying and hating on the guy. I don't hate Dun anymore than I hated Jack (zero). I found Jack's game frustrating and I find Dun's game frustrating. I also find it frustrating that he gets a free pass from fans when Jack didn't.

It's as simple as that.

And for what Dun makes vs Jackson, Dun owes the team more than a couple of extra boards per game. Jackson has 20.6m more over 3 years left. Dun will be on the Pacers payroll (barring a trade) for 4 more years and a total of 37.5m. Jack's final year is 7.6m, Dun's salary even next year is already at 8.2m. So salary-wise Dun should be held to a HIGHER standard anyway. He costs more to have on the team.
    The salary differential will be made up by the fact that....

(A) Dunleavy's a more productive overall player
    (B) Dunleavy won't get in trouble with the law
    (C) Dunleavy won't punch and/or flip off other teams fans
    (D) Dunleavy wont consistently make bad decisions in the closing seconds of close games

I dare you to post the 3pt% for both players from LAST YEAR. Please, I'm begging to see you put them up. I would, but I want to hear your defense of them and the discussion of "normal" with Dunleavy.
    You're very carefully picking and choosing your spots in order to skew the discussion in your favor....

Let's compare Dunleavy's 3 point shooting in 2004-2005 (38.8%) with Jackson's 3 point shooting in 00-01 (25.0%) - WOW! Dunleavy is a much, much better 3 point shooter than Jackson. Just look at the stats!

See how easy that was? That's pretty much what you're doing.

Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting Last Season: 74-260, 28.5% - Fairly Lousy
    Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting The Rest of His Career: 306-831, 36.8% - Very Good
    Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting for His Career: 380-1091, 34.8% - SolidJackson's 3 Point Shooting for His Career: 577-1722, 33.5% - Mediocre

As you can clearly see, the 28.5% shooting last season was clearly a fluke bad season. The 3 previous seasons and so far this season has proven that, as he's been a very respectable 37% 3 point shooter in that time frame. Jackson, on the other hand. is perennially a very mediocre 3 point shooter, which is only worsened by the fact that he shoots so many of them.

40.6%, 28.5% (let me guess, a mini-slump of 82 games straight)

And this is why people can't take your posts seriously and consider you a Jackson fanboy. Instead of looking at the big picture, you're once again very carefully picking and choosing relatively brief periods where the stats support your opinion.

Jackson shot a whopping .5% better than Dunleavy last season. Bravo! Let's give him an olympic gold metal. What you fail to mention is, counting this season, in 3 of the past 4 seasons, Dunleavy has shot a significantly higher field goal percentage than Jackson has ever shot in his career.

Dunleavy's Past 4 Seasons
    03-04: 45.1
    04-05: 40.3
    05-06: 44.9
    06-07: 44.4

Jackon's Best 3 Seasons
    02-03: 43.5
    00-01: 42.5
    03-04: 42.5

Wacko Jacko's 3 best seasons shooting are 43.5% and a couple of 42.5% seasons. Simply appalling. and why Dunleavy has had 2 Jackson-esque shooting seasons (one of them his rookie season), the other 3 seasons have been perfectly acceptable. Overall, as career field goal percentage will show you, Dunleavy has been the more reliable shooter.

You don't excuse Jackson's first month of shooting this year (when removed he is outshooting Dun on the season), but you DO EXCUSE Dun's DEC/JAN with GS and his first 10 games in Indy?

Does that really seem on the up and up to you? Do me a favor, pay my taxes too this year and I'll pay none. That sounds just about as fair. Why hold everyone to the same standards after all.
    I listed their field goal percentage with the Pacers, their FG% overall this season, and their career field goal percentage. I don't try and pick and choose certain months/weeks to make my case. I don't have to. Other people do have to because it's all they've got.

I'm not anti-Dun or pro-Jack. I am however disgusted by the desire to give Dun a break on the same things that allegedly proved that Jack was a bad player.
    Jackson was a bad player. And while Dunleavy's no real prize himself, he has fewer negatives, which results in him being the player with the more positive impact on the Pacer's win/loss record.

Thumbs up Re: Dunleavy Pacers Player of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan83 View Post
    The salary differential will be made up by the fact that....

(A) Dunleavy's a more productive overall player
    (B) Dunleavy won't get in trouble with the law
    (C) Dunleavy won't punch and/or flip off other teams fans
    (D) Dunleavy wont consistently make bad decisions in the closing seconds of close games

You're very carefully picking and choosing your spots in order to skew the discussion in your favor....

Let's compare Dunleavy's 3 point shooting in 2004-2005 (38.8%) with Jackson's 3 point shooting in 00-01 (25.0%) - WOW! Dunleavy is a much, much better 3 point shooter than Jackson. Just look at the stats!

See how easy that was? That's pretty much what you're doing.

Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting Last Season: 74-260, 28.5% - Fairly Lousy
    Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting The Rest of His Career: 306-831, 36.8% - Very Good
    Dunleavy's 3 Point Shooting for His Career: 380-1091, 34.8% - SolidJackson's 3 Point Shooting for His Career: 577-1722, 33.5% - Mediocre

As you can clearly see, the 28.5% shooting last season was clearly a fluke bad season. The 3 previous seasons and so far this season has proven that, as he's been a very respectable 37% 3 point shooter in that time frame. Jackson, on the other hand. is perennially a very mediocre 3 point shooter, which is only worsened by the fact that he shoots so many of them.

And this is why people can't take your posts seriously and consider you a Jackson fanboy. Instead of looking at the big picture, you're once again very carefully picking and choosing relatively brief periods where the stats support your opinion.

Jackson shot a whopping .5% better than Dunleavy last season. Bravo! Let's give him an olympic gold metal. What you fail to mention is, counting this season, in 3 of the past 4 seasons, Dunleavy has shot a significantly higher field goal percentage than Jackson has ever shot in his career.

Dunleavy's Past 4 Seasons
    03-04: 45.1
    04-05: 40.3
    05-06: 44.9
    06-07: 44.4

Jackon's Best 3 Seasons
    02-03: 43.5
    00-01: 42.5
    03-04: 42.5

Wacko Jacko's 3 best seasons shooting are 43.5% and a couple of 42.5% seasons. Simply appalling. and why Dunleavy has had 2 Jackson-esque shooting seasons (one of them his rookie season), the other 3 seasons have been perfectly acceptable. Overall, as career field goal percentage will show you, Dunleavy has been the more reliable shooter.

I listed their field goal percentage with the Pacers, their FG% overall this season, and their career field goal percentage. I don't try and pick and choose certain months/weeks to make my case. I don't have to. Other people do have to because it's all they've got.

Jackson was a bad player. And while Dunleavy's no real prize himself, he has fewer negatives, which results in him being the player with the more positive impact on the Pacer's win/loss record.
    CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!

well Done!!!

Naptown Seth is getting schooled here ....
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

www.basketball-reference.com has some pretty advanced formulas for every season but this current one. Dunleavy comes out ahead in virtually every single statistic with the exception of PER.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    Naptown Seth is getting schooled here ....

I wish that I could take some joy in Seth getting schooled, but I don't. Outside of his Jack fixation, he makes some great posts.

Red face Re: Dunleavy Pacers Player of the Week

First, if we aren't counting GS then WTF are we judging him by? College? Please. Let me know about Walton having a greater NBA career than Smits.

Second, he had 10 games of generally poor shooting with the Pacers first. This is 2 games. And you are asking me to buy into the 2 games?

Do me a favor, replace the name Dunleavy with Jackson when you read the box score and then evalute his stat lines.

It makes me sick that 40% is "good" for one guy and "terrible" for another. Geez, you were defending Foster shooting below 40% too as if I was just personally attacking the guy.

The FG% isn't a trick stat. You take shots and then you make or miss them. It's the most fundamental part of the game. And Dunleavy has shown a real up and down knack with it.

It's so silly that people are rushing to defend Dun as if somehow him being no better than Jack threatens them with the return of Jack. Jack is gone, you can breathe. All I'm saying is that so far the streaky shooter part isn't gone.

It's as simple as 37% then 67%. It doesn't get streakier than that. He also had a 2 week hot streak in GS just before the trade. He also had a red hot November before about 6-7 weeks of terrible shooting.

I don't have it in for Dun or anything, these are just the cold facts of his game at this point.

Did you miss the part where he played NBA ball before he joined the Pacers?

I didn't say worse FG%, I said JUST AS STREAKY. 37 to 67, repeat it. That's how you got to 43. It's not like this guy comes out with 5-11, 5-9, 6-13 over and over.

6-17 (really, Jay, 17 FGA doesn't count as needing touches?)
    5-13
    1-7
    3-11
    4-15

Those are Jackson lines right there.

Untrue statement. Not sure why you chose to say this. I see Jack and Dun equal this year on assist (3.1 each with Indy) and nearly on TOs (2.2 to 2.0). Jackson took 11.6 FGA per game this year. Dunleavy has taken 11.2 with the Pacers.

Are you just resorting to lying about the numbers to make a point, these aren't hidden numbers or anything, basic ESPN Pacers stats. He takes the same # of shots, he turns it over the same, he doesn't make any more assists, his shot is just as inconsistant.

When presented with a neutral situation you can tell a lot about the baggage fans bring to the table. You sure as heck don't see me saying Jackson was better than Dun. Why? Because he wasn't.

Finally, Roferr's pet point - MPG. Jack "always" got 36 like clockwork...expect he only averaged 32 mpg with the Pacers this year. DunDun OTOH is out there 35 on average despite producing nearly the same down the line till the last 2 games.

I dare you to post the 3pt% for both players from LAST YEAR. Please, I'm begging to see you put them up. I would, but I want to hear your defense of them and the discussion of "normal" with Dunleavy.

Wait, don't stop there. Let's see the regular FG% from last year too.

Nevermind, you won't man up enough to do it.

40.6%, 28.5% (let me guess, a mini-slump of 82 games straight)

Does that really seem on the up and up to you? Do me a favor, pay my taxes too this year and I'll pay none. That sounds just about as fair. Why hold everyone to the same standards after all.

I'm not anti-Dun or pro-Jack. I am however disgusted by the desire to give Dun a break on the same things that allegedly proved that Jack was a bad player.
    I don't quite know how to answer your post. First of all, you show my post and answer it and then you insert two more posts not made by me and not attributed to anyone and they answer them. So I'm confused.

I think that since Jax is gone, everybody will be better off if he isn't discussed anymore....just my opinion. He plays for the Warriors now so let them worry about his shortcomings. I wasn't pleased that AJ and AC got traded but I got over it and started to root for their replacements.

Same with me, I'm over my manlove for Jasikevicius and won't discuss him anymore on this forum. I'll stil following him in GS though.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!