Thread: Marty is gone

Default Marty is gone

Per ESPN reports, Marty S is fired from the Chargers. Bet the Chargers blow next year.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I am not".--Bushwick Bill

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Marty is gone

stupid move on their part. He and the GM haven't got along for the longest time, Marty wanted to keep Drew Brees but the GM wanted to let him go..now the GM said that Donnie Edwards wouldn't be back which i think is FREAKING STUPID he has lead the league in tackles if im not mistaken...if not lead them damn well near it the guy is talented...and well Marty didn't like that either so i think it was kind of the last straw. They lost both their offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, So their whole coaching staff right now is a..ahh...well up that one creek without a paddle.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

woman without a team

I can't stand Marty. That being said their GM is a friggin' moron.

I think you should take Marty for what he is. He's a regular season coach. If you're looking to climb out of the cellar or jump from middle of the pack to 13-3 team, Marty's your guy. If you're looking to win a title, best to keep shopping, and I think that's the situation the Chargers were in.

My main problem is that as far as I know, the Chargers don't have a "Plan B". Also, whether they were likely to let Donnie Edwards go or not, him and Marty are real, real tight, so it sort of forces their hand there, which is stupid on their part, because Edwards is a stud.

This makes me wonder if Marty will sit out a season, or if there's a good fit out there for him. I don't see any vacancies currently, so it'll be an interesting off-season.

I miss the Martyball days in KC, but I don't miss the 13-3 regular season followed by an opening round loss. How do you lose in the opening round when you go 13-3 during the regular season, have the best D in the league, and your offense includes Joe Montana and Marcus Allen?

Marty got screwed - and once again, Jerry Jones screwed up.

Would have been a great coach for The Cowboys right now though I agree with Eindar (of course before this season you could have said the same thing about Dungy).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They give a guy a vote of confidence, then wait until after all the coaching candidates sign with other teams before firing him. I'd be upset if I was a Chargers fan, just because they way this thing is being handled.

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Well, SD lost their HC, OC, and DC from last years 14-2 team. I think they will still be good, but it is just plain stupid to fire your HC after losing both your OC and DC to other teams. Rex Ryan, Baltimores defensive coordinator, will probably replace him.

All I will say that if god forbid, Dungy decides to retire with a championship I would lovingly take Marty.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our path to repeat may have just gotten a little bit clearer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our path to repeat may have just gotten a little bit clearer.
    Yeah no kidding. San Diego still scares me, but all of this on top of possibly losing Donnie Edwards, and they scare me much less. I can't see New England being even as good as they were this year next year, especially if they lose Samuel. Baltimore will still be there, but I think we'll still be able to beat them.

However, this is the NFL, there are always surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11 View Post
    All I will say that if god forbid, Dungy decides to retire with a championship I would lovingly take Marty.
    Don't be so quick to say that. Last time I checked, Peyton likes to throw the ball more than 20 yards downfield, and that's not Martyball

He'd have Peyton throwing 10-12 screen passes per game, not to mention the 5 yard outs for Wayne, and 30 carries per game for Addai. He's good in certain situations, but I don't think the Colts would be that situation, namely because Marty hangs his had on defense and ball control. Now, once Peyton retires? He'd be an excellent coach for a team in transition.

NE will franchise Samuel and will have a bunch of cap room besides. Gotta figure on them improving their receivers - I'd consider this a down year for them. Baltimore will still be good and while it may be a year early for them, Tenn. will be a team to watch. Buffalo did some good things toward the end of the year too. The AFC's still gonna be plenty tough.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

So Edwards is leaving? Any chance he'd want to sign for cheap to play w/ the defending champs?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Don't be so quick to say that. Last time I checked, Peyton likes to throw the ball more than 20 yards downfield, and that's not Martyball

He'd have Peyton throwing 10-12 screen passes per game, not to mention the 5 yard outs for Wayne, and 30 carries per game for Addai. He's good in certain situations, but I don't think the Colts would be that situation, namely because Marty hangs his had on defense and ball control. Now, once Peyton retires? He'd be an excellent coach for a team in transition.
    Peyton quit throwing the deep ball as much this season. He has said himself he just takes what the defense gives him and uses a lot of time management/ball control. It was a little more boring than seeing him throw bombs and blowing out teams like years past, but hey we have the lombardi trophy so no worries.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11 View Post
    Peyton quit throwing the deep ball as much this season. He has said himself he just takes what the defense gives him and uses a lot of time management/ball control. It was a little more boring than seeing him throw bombs and blowing out teams like years past, but hey we have the lombardi trophy so no worries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Peyton would bristle under Marty's style. What I'm saying is that Marty has a particular philosophy on how a team should play, and I feel that Peyton, Marvin, and Reggie Wayne would be a little wasted. If you look at the last two teams he's coached, being the Chargers and the Chiefs, both had talented running backs and pretty good defense. In KC, they had Joe Montana and Marcus Allen, so that translated into the West Coast offense, which is still a form of ball control. They'd throw for 4, throw for 4, then have Marcus Allen get the last 2, which was his specialty. In San Diego, he seemed to loosen up a little bit with Drew Brees, but he still used LT a lot to control the tempo of the game, and allow the San Diego defense, which was pretty good in it's own right, to make plays. One other hallmark of Martyball is special teams, winning the field position war via defense and special teams, putting your offense in a position to get field goals and touchdowns. That wasn't nearly as evident in San Diego, but that's what he likes to do.

I think, given the relative talent levels of the Indy offense, defense and special teams, Marty would clamp down on the offense to maximize their time on the field and minimize the exposure of the defense. If you think that's what Dungy and Peyton did this year was clamping down to control the ball (it did help them win a championship, btw), Marty would put that definition on it's ear. I've seen him, via methodical offense and stifling defense, make it so that there were only 2-3 possessions per quarter. I just think that would be a little too far to go when you've got as much offensive talent as the Colts.

Besides, I would be shocked if Dungy doesn't come back for at least one more year, and more likely 3-5. He's a good coach in a good situation, and coaches rarely, if ever, walk away from something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Yeah no kidding. San Diego still scares me, but all of this on top of possibly losing Donnie Edwards, and they scare me much less. I can't see New England being even as good as they were this year next year, especially if they lose Samuel. Baltimore will still be there, but I think we'll still be able to beat them.

However, this is the NFL, there are always surprises.
    Got 2 first round picks, and will be 30 million under the cap next year.