Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figure?

Default Re: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figu

Hard to add anything since this topic has been covered well. The one thing that Reggie has over Peyton is when it was his final farewell Reggie actually shed a tear about it. I'll be waiting to see if Mr. Cool as a cucumber will do the same.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Has Peyton Manning surpassed Reggie Miller as Indy's most beloved pro sports figu

As Indy's most beloved? It's an interesting question. Indy0731 said they are "equally great" to him, and I think I can agree with that, and for essentially the same reasons. I think another part of it is the games they play. In basketball it's much easier to see a player's emotions and how hard they're working, the desire to win. In football, with the helmets and the fact that to see everything, the camera must zoom out, giving you a less personal shot, it's harder to see that. While Peyton is famous for making faces and using big gestures to show frustration or joy, it's still easier to see a basketball player's sheer emotions.

Reggie not only took us to the Finals with probably less talent than Peyton took the Colts to the Super Bowl with--Reggie was not expected to. When the Pacers drafted Reg, people didn't like the pick. When the Colts drafted Peyton, we were expected to win. Reggie not only succeeded, he proved that he could to a bunch of critics. And who doesn't like an underdog?

I think Reggie is still the winner in the hearts of Indy sports fans, even though Peyton is the big winner in the actual sport. But it's close.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Peyton is the best player in the NFL and IMO has been for the past three seasons at least. Reggie was never even close to being the best player in the NBA in any of the seasons in which he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotta blame Shade for not framing it that way. Shade-

-Bball
    The question is open to interpretation.

So, I see your and raise you a .

Er...um...I mean a .

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peyton is the best player in the NFL and IMO has been for the past three seasons at least. Reggie was never even close to being the best player in the NBA in any of the seasons in which he played.
    Yes, but until this season, he was pretty much the anti-Reggie in the clutch. Not so much anymore.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Greatest at his sport - 18
    Most famous - 18

Most loved within the Indy community - still 31, simply because of the level he is at.

Reggie has MOMENTS that Peyton still doesn't have. The COLTS won the SB, Manning wasn't particularly sharp, certainly not at his best, and that was true the entire playoffs.

When people remember the great Colts playoff wins (or losses), you've got plays like the bomb to Bailey or Crockett going off vs SD easily in the mix with any of Peyton's greatest playoff moments.

But when people remember the great Pacers playoff wins (or losses), it's almost nothing but Reggie. Smits, Scott, Best, and....even the 03-04 team had Reggie hitting the clincher in game 1 and then getting his shot blocked in game 2.

There are only 5 guys on a court vs 11 on each side of the ball making plays. A single, great NBA player can stand out more, and Reggie did so about as much as was possible when the playoffs arrived.

Manning is going to be in the mix for greatest QB EVER, and that is mind-blowing. But Reggie got here first and put the entire city on his shoulders for basically a decade or so.

Ray Lewis has a title and is an elite MLB, in the talks of greatest MLBs even. More loved in Baltimore than Johnny U? No way.

Brady more loved than Bird in Boston? Doubtful.

And so on. Right now if you held a signing I'm sure Manning's line would be longer. But let's say its 2 years from now and the Colts lost a WC game and then didn't make the playoffs and you held the same signing. Manning's resume would still be as full as it is today, but I'd strongly bet that Reggie's line would be back to being the longer one.

It's a compliment to Peyton that he's even in this discussion considering Reggie's status. Freaking Jermaine O'Neal has had a more impressive overall statistical career up to this point and is nowhere near this discussion. I mean rebounding, shot blocks, defense...he dwarfs Reggie. And there still is no comparison to Reggie on the matter.

Manning is getting there, it's close, and perhaps in 5 more years he will really have passed Reggie.

Well said, Seth. I wonder if the Colts 1) Win another Super Bowl and 2) Manning has at least one monster game during the run to the title, that then he'd be bigger in the hearts of most hoosiers. It's still a matter of personal opinion, but i bet that would sway many.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well said, Seth. I wonder if the Colts 1) Win another Super Bowl and 2) Manning has at least one monster game during the run to the title, that then he'd be bigger in the hearts of most hoosiers. It's still a matter of personal opinion, but i bet that would sway many.

And #3 that he mentions more often he is doing it for the Indy fans. I know it does come up in his conversations, Maybe it's just my imagination, but it always seemed to me Reggie always talked about winning for the Indiana fans first and then the owner/team mates was second.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I'm not sure what games you guys were watching but Manning had some pretty good games in the playoffs. Yes, each game featured a bonehead interception BUT more importantly overall he managed the clock, took what the defense gave them, and didn't try to win it on one play and didn't compound that mistake (interception). He methodically picked apart some pretty good defenses and he also let other players make plays.

He didn't back into the SB win nor did the Colts back into it.

And have we forgotten that 2 minute drill against NE to take the lead (with a banged up thumb no less)?

We also had a nice end of half drive against Da Bears that should've been a field goal but Vinetieri missed it.

No, Manning wasn't throwing 50 yard bombs every series but that wasn't what was going to get us to a SB game and win in the first place. As a matter of fact, last season if Manning wasn't throwing bombs to the endzone on the last Colts' possession he might've actually gotten Vandershank closer for that tying FG try against the Steelers.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

And if Troy's interception wasn't (mistakenly) overturned, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Besides, if you're going to blame that on Manning, it wasn't the endzone bombs on the last drive... it was his refusal to call a running play for the first 2.5 quarters of the game. Something - as you said - that he got better at this season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing that needs to be added to this is that fans get a more personal feel at games for basketball players than they do football players.

Football players wear helmets. Yes, everyone obviously knows what Peyton looks like, but it still takes away from the personal feeling. Fans at games saw images of Reggie high fiving fans, or jumping on the scorers table. None of that is possible for Manning to do. Usually receivers are the only players that interact with the crowd.....after they score a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    And if Troy's interception wasn't (mistakenly) overturned, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Besides, if you're going to blame that on Manning, it wasn't the endzone bombs on the last drive... it was his refusal to call a running play for the first 2.5 quarters of the game. Something - as you said - that he got better at this season.
    I don't disagree at all. I just used that ending drive as an example among many.

I think some people have gotten spoiled by the 'big kill' (long ball, quick strike) rather than seeing a team being methodically disected. But it is that methodical disection that pays more dividend overall and long term. I guess it's not as pretty to some people, but it is to me. It's the ability to go downfield with that quick strike that is the beauty of it, because it forces the opposing defense to soften up and give you the demoralizing long, ball control drives.

When Peyton plays like he did in the playoffs, teams know they can't wait for Peyton to play into their hands. And they know they can't dare him to beat them, because he can.

I thought those last few games were overall some of the most complete games I've seen the Colts play.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Being even more realistic...
    Reggie's name is at or near the top among the all time Pacer greats.

Peyton's career already has him in the same sentence as the all time NFL greats (at his position). And the Super Bowl win put him in a very select club.

-Bball
    I think Manning will go down as the Jordan of football the way Dungy has hinted at before this last win.
    (Did, I really call the Super Bowl this last win?)

Reggie is the 3rd all-time scoring guard behind Jordan, and Oscar.
    Reggie has made the most 3-pointers ever.
    He goes down as the best Pacer ever, maybe the best pure shooter ever, and a great clutch payer.
    Reggie IS top 50 easy and a hall of fame guy you could raise up to even top 20 on your top 50 easily. He was somewhat underated his whole carreer, imo.
    At the very end he did kind of get some nationwide dues paid to him.
    Manning is certainly nationwide now and the face of the biggest sport in America.

Manning & Reggie will be equally loved in Indy, but Manning will go down as being a much, much bigger figure in the country & yes his level of play is easily already at another level. That doesn't always make you bigger, because in the dome Bob Sanders may have recieved just as nice of an ovation as Manning did during the celebration. I know he's not on that level, but he is deff a fan favorite. Reggie had that kind of an unknown quality that made you love to cheer for him. It was funny and fun to cheer for him.

Bob even laughed when he got on the mic, because of the applause, Reggie had that type of popularity here just because.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Reggie and Peyton. The city is big enough for both! Each is special in their own way. Both are outgoing. Both are team based and unselfish. How many professionals have ever done what Peyton has done. Redo his contract to keep players or sign players. Reggie gave the city hope for the 1st time since ABA days, but not without his team. Peyton brought a championship to Indy, but not without his team. Be happy we have both!!!

As far as Peyton vs. Reggie in popularity, ditto on pretty much every post Bball had. I was reading "Let it Out" in the Star the other day and a person was trashing the Pacers and their "thugs" vs. the class way Dungy ran the Colts. Certainly thing will ebb and flow, but in terms of popularity NFL>NBA and Peyton>Reggie.

I've talked about it ad nauseum, but I do disagree with those who give Peyton an A+ for the playoffs/Superbowl. He may get an A+ for overall play calling and clock managment, but there are games where he got an F for just about everything else. The defense got us to the Championship, and Peyton got us to the Superbowl.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

I think Indiana is blessed with two of the best superstars. I wouldn't want anyone else to represent Indiana. Nice blue collar type guys that care about the team, the city, and the fans. I don't ever say/write i am a "fan" of anybody especially athletes and celebrities. I would say/write I'm a fan of both Reggie and Peyton though. Right now I watch the Pacers because I love the Pacers, I don't give two craps about the players, I used to watch for the Pacers and Reggie. Right now I watch the Colts and Peyton but after Peyton is gone I will just watch the "Colts" like I did in the pre-Peyton era. I like teams over players Pacers, Colts, I.U, and the Dodgers no matter if they win 1 game the whole season I'd still be trying to convince everyone why they are going to win it all next year. I do really like Peyton and Reggie, i honestly shedded some tears when Reggie retired.

Peyton hasn't surpassed Reggie IMO, I think they will be equal when all said and done though.

For me, it will always be Reggie for a couple of reasons.

1. Reggie was a skinny guy who got pushed around. But he played the game. Maybe he flopped a few times. But the eye socket injury and the broken hand were real. From a purely physical standpoint, Reggie was always an underdog.

2. Manning grew up in a family where "following in dad's footsteps" meant becoming an NFL quarterback. Not to slight his achievements at all, but if any kid ever had an easy path to the top of the pile, it is Peyton.

3. Peyton gives good interviews. But I think Reggie was better. I remember the interview when he talked about going home after a high school game to brag because he had scored 30 points -- only to find out that his sister Cheryl had scored 100! Reggie tells that story with pure humility and admiration in his voice, and that gives him the edge in my book.

No disrespect for Peyton.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Beloved is the key word.

A lot of you are arguing over greatness. Or the fact that he won a chamionship.

Let's focus on the word beloved.

Reggie was extremely special - he had a special personality and he lifted his team and this City on his shoulders for many, many years.

Indianapolis had an inferiority complex (remember Hicks versus Knicks?) - I will love Reggie for the pride he instilled in a City - he was first to do that... Manning picked up where Reggie left off... took it to greater heights... but Reggie is still the most beloved because of the man he was and the time it was. Timing in this case, is everything.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

After Peyton repeats next year and gets another in a couple years after that. He might surpass Reggie in everyones eyes. Hell, I'm sure he'd get a statue out front of the new stadium.

I do know one thing any sports story teller from Indiana is going to start off with a Reggie and Peyton story and your kids or grand kids are going to be sitting, amazed because their g-pa or g-ma got to see those legends play. Like I use to with my g-pa hearing about all the Mickey Mantle stories.

I find little merit in the argument of "did more with less talent". Winners of the Special Olympics do more with less talent.

Since we're stating opinions: Miller was one of the best shooting guards of all time (top 5). Manning is one of the best NFL players (at any position) of all time, and his legacy is still growing. Miller stands in Manning's shadow.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not yet, I think Peyton will eventually pass Reggie though in a couple of more years because frankly, there is still a lot of greatness yet to played by Manning. He already is the icon of the NFL, and I think he'll end up being what Brett Favre is to the city of Green Bay. I think Reggie's retirement has played a lot of sentimental feelings into our hearts and judgement, but 8 years from now or w/e, when Peyton retires...I have no doubts that he'll be higher on the Indy pedestal. Plus, gradually this city is starting to become a football town...and the more our Colts keep winning...the faster the rate of the conversion.