Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pretty good shape.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pretty good shape.

Vince Carter is untouchable. They want him going into Brooklyn.

Good luck getting Michael Redd as well without giving up JO.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vince Carter is untouchable. They want him going into Brooklyn.

Good luck getting Michael Redd as well without giving up JO.
    Really? I thought I had read otherwise on Carter.

Regardless, Boston and Seattle seem like possible partners.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Unless some desperate GM comes up to DW and LB during the All-Star game in Vegas ( hopefully all hopped up on Booze and losing a ton of money on the tables ) and offers them something that is too good to turn down ( which is unlikely ).....I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB decide to take their regular "conservative" route, do nothing and prepare their ""We feel pretty good about where we're at right now, we're going to wait until the offseason to make any moves" speech for the Indy Press.
    It takes two to tango. So of course they are going to say they feel pretty good about where we are if they can't make any trades. That's SOP. Some of you guys act like it's easy to trade a Dale Davis and get back a Jermaine O'Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Personally, I can live with the front office and coaching staff. I can live with the frontcourt, including center. I can even live with one of the positions in our backcourt. But we need the other position in the worst way.

Shooting guard is the easiest to upgrade. Donnie should be on the phone every day calling Seattle for Ray Allen or Boston for Paul Pierce. Heck, let Bird call Boston. Ainge is his buddy, and he owes us one (or two). Vince Carter, Michael Redd, Jason Richardson... none of these guys are untouchable right now. A top-10 shooting guard makes us a contender.
    And just who are you going to trade to get such a player? Come on lay out some trades and see how fast people call them homer trades.

I agree we need a starting 2 guard more than anything else right now. Obviously, next season we're probably gonna need a backup point guard, too. It's tough to get a clear picture of who may be available and at what price. A quick scan of team rosters doesn't really reveal any team with a surplus of shooting guards that could come in and be a definite starter on this team. We'd have to give up a piece that we can't afford to give up right now. A look at possible free agents next year ( according to HoopsHype) reveals mostly older guys, injury plagued guys and youngsters.

Most of the guys who interest me are probably nowhere near being available....J.R. Smith, Ricky Davis, Kevin Martin, Mike Miller, Quentin Richardson....and a couple of them probably aren't clearly upgrades either.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Some of you guys act like it's easy to trade a Dale Davis and get back a Jermaine O'Neal.
    I'm not thinking like that at all....I'm completely realistic when it comes to trades...much less about our chances of making any type of move before the trade deadline. hWe only ave 1 trading asset ( Foster ) that any team would want... and I don't think that TPTB are going to give him up without getting something of value...which is unlikely.....so I am pretty sure that we are going to do absolutely nothing at all.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I agree we need a starting 2 guard more than anything else right now. Obviously, next season we're probably gonna need a backup point guard, too. It's tough to get a clear picture of who may be available and at what price. A quick scan of team rosters doesn't really reveal any team with a surplus of shooting guards that could come in and be a definite starter on this team. We'd have to give up a piece that we can't afford to give up right now. A look at possible free agents next year ( according to HoopsHype) reveals mostly older guys, injury plagued guys and youngsters.

Most of the guys who interest me are probably nowhere near being available....J.R. Smith, Ricky Davis, Kevin Martin, Mike Miller, Quentin Richardson....and a couple of them probably aren't clearly upgrades either.
    Unless we make it to the ECF.......I think that we are going to be cleaning house in the offseason with JONeal and Tinsley as the main centerpiece for any trade. But I agree with you.....its hard to figure out which players are likely to be available in the offseason.

The best that I can come up with ( that makes sense for us ) is JONeal+Tinsley for Ray Allen+Ridnour....but even I know that its a stretch for any GM to swallow.
    Its a stretch

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So many talk about SG being our primary need. From purely a fundamentals standpoint, I would probably say that a perimeter shooter is the primary need.

For the last several weeks, I've been out of town contracting. But everything I've read and everything I've been told by those attending games leads to one point when discussing players. And it's the same thing brought up by TBird in his recap of the Denver game. The fans have spoken, and they pretty much want Tinsley gone.

TPTB's business focus is based on two things right now: winning and putting more fans in the seats.

One could argue that by winning, the Pacers will put more fans in the seats. And they would probably be right. And, it's pretty obvious that by getting rid of Tinsley, the Pacers will put more fans in the seats.

So, I suppose the real question is whether the Pacers will put more fans in the seats if they get rid of Tinsley yet do not win any more games than they are right now.

My thought is that if the Pacers acquire a PG that plays defense no worse than Tinsley but who is capable of hitting a perimeter shot, they can possibly accomplish both of their immediate goals. The move would probably not put us any closer to being a contender, but it would likely get a few more Ws and bring back a few fans.

So, I really think the focus should and will be on the PG position at this time, and not on SG.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

And for the record, I'm planning on driving up for at least 2 more games this season. But if I hear Donnie/Larry say "We feel pretty good about where we're at right now, we're going to wait until the offseason to make any moves" then I'm done.

We've done it before, and it doesn't work. They said that after trading Ron, and it was terrible. We need more moves, there's no two ways about it. If we sit pat with this group then we are toast.
    I'm with you. Unless Quis really is the straw that stirs this crazy drink (and that could be) the team needs to get a lot better than they are right now.

They've never been "headed to the lottery" bad (though last week the worry crept into my mind) nor "looking good" either. It's been out of sorts all season.

However, at this point I'm strongly anti-trade simply because you've moved so many players in the last year. This team has massive turnover following 2 seasons of virtual turnover and instability thanks to injuries and suspensions.

Believe it or not, some teams do stick together for an entire season, some of them aren't even playoff teams. IMO you need some time at some point to get a truly good sense of just what it is you have. Making another deal this year doesn't do that.

If it's a super sweet deal that can't be missed, okay, but no way that is falling in the Pacers laps. Tins might be totally exonerated of his involvement at Rio and 8 Secs, and if so it might alter how he's viewed somewhat. More so if he drops 10+ assists in a few more games this year.
    And other than Tins, who really "needs" to be moved at this point? JO and Jeff are staples to me and everyone else is too new.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Boy, Ron for Kevin Martin would be the one deal that would look really sweet right about now. But back then Jack was still here and Rio hadn't happened, plus Bird had a crush on Peja.

I don't think we need a STARTING SG?! I think Dunleavy is starting to get comfortable and come into his own. I think a perimeter shooter off the bench at either guard spot would be sweet. I like Dun Dun and Quis, so if we could get a backup shooter at the PG position that would be nice. If we do get a 3pt shooting swingman we can shuffle the lineup a little since our players are so versatile. Hopefully if we do make a move, the guy can play a little defense as well.

It's funny, the more I think about it, the more I want Shawne Williams to get more minutes?!?!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Personally, I can live with the front office and coaching staff. I can live with the frontcourt, including center. I can even live with one of the positions in our backcourt. But we need the other position in the worst way.

Shooting guard is the easiest to upgrade. Donnie should be on the phone every day calling Seattle for Ray Allen or Boston for Paul Pierce. Heck, let Bird call Boston. Ainge is his buddy, and he owes us one (or two). Vince Carter, Michael Redd, Jason Richardson... none of these guys are untouchable right now. A top-10 shooting guard makes us a contender.
    Ehmm.... so what would you be willing to give up, because those are absolute startplayers. Those don't come cheap, not even when the team is moving.

There have been exceptions, but those are pretty rare. Sheed comes to mind.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    So, I really think the focus should and will be on the PG position at this time, and not on SG.
    I totally agree...the problem is that its much harder to acquire a PG that will meet your needs then it is to somehow acquire a SG ( not necessarily a starter...but a backup SG that can play behind or next to Marquis ) that's a shooter...not a scorer.

IMHO...at this point in the season....with the current lineup and difficulty in making any significant moves due to the contract situation......I don't think that any team is going to trade the type of PG that you are suggesting.....one that can adequately defend while being a decent to solid shooter from the perimeter. The closest one that I can come up with that can possibly shoot and score...but not defend..is Bibby....and I doubt that he is available...even for Tinsley+Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the Pacers are in good shape right now?
    there's always room for improvment, but i like this group. we got daniels back, jo is gonna get a nice week off to rest up. time to make a serious run.