Thread: Is it time to move JO?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is it time to move JO?

Let's face it. If things continue the way they have been, JO will opt out at the end of next season. So, we either need to put together a team that can contend next season, or look at moving JO and starting over.

Besides, trying to build around JO just isn't working. We still try to force-feed him too much.

Default Re: Is it time to move JO?

no way JO opts out and lets all that money go...it will work out.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

You're a pretty optimistic guy..
    Thank you Jeff.

It's time to entertain ideas. This team is going to give up on group of players that are 28-30 and moving toward handing the reigns over to the guys 5 years younger. JO will keep this team around .500 all by himself if he's healthy, but that's not what this franchise or its fanbase expects.

So, yes. There is no fire sale here but they are open to talking.

I've already said it in another thread, but I think J.O. has to go whether we want it or not. He's the only chance we have at significantly improving our roster in the off-season. Also, the way he's been talking, I wouldn't be surprised if he did opt out of his contract after next season. We can keep him, not make any significant moves, and risk losing him. Or, we can trade him coming off a good [stat] season while he still has good value, and get some young prospects for the future. Option #2 is a lot less risky. We're not going anywhere with him, so I think it's time to try it without him. OR bring in a coach that can actually make his game flow with the rest of the teams offense. Rick has failed miserably at that.

What the heck? All'a sudden everyone wants to trade JO. Heck no! Have ye all gone mad? Have a little patience. Losing 3 in a row does not mean it's the end of the world.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to trade JO, but I also don't want to lose him for nothing.

I love Jermaine, and don't want to move him.

But I'd do JO-Tinsley for KG-Foye.

Other than that, there's not a lot out there that would look good to me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

In a word, no.

Say we did trade him. It wouldn't be for another 30ish star, that'd defeat the purpose of the trade. So let's say it's for picks, maybe an expiring contract, and a nice young player. That means a solid 2 or 3 years of below .500 basketball for the Pacers. The fans are losing interest already, how empty do you think the Fieldhouse would be if that happened? It doesn't seem like a good business decision to me.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the heck? All'a sudden everyone wants to trade JO. Heck no! Have ye all gone mad? Have a little patience. Losing 3 in a row does not mean it's the end of the world.
    No Soup, don't you remember how the Pacers traded their one all-star after the team hit the skids in 97. ECF to first round to no playoffs, it was CLEAR that the team couldn't move forward unless they moved the one major star they had in order to rebuild, mostly through the draft.

Trading Reggie for those 3 picks that were later used to get Artest, Brad Miller and Tinsley are why the team eventually made their way back to the ECF in 03-04.

Wait, you mean that's not how it happened?

Yeah, JO is definitely going to leave 20m on the table in order to get 16m from Atlanta or Charlotte. And just what is it that people think is going to be brought in? One of the other 5 or 6 (if that) 28-30 year old big superstars?

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    In a word, no.

Say we did trade him. It wouldn't be for another 30ish star, that'd defeat the purpose of the trade. So let's say it's for picks, maybe an expiring contract, and a nice young player. That means a solid 2 or 3 years of below .500 basketball for the Pacers. The fans are losing interest already, how empty do you think the Fieldhouse would be if that happened? It doesn't seem like a good business decision to me.
    I just wanted to say that if we trade JO I would want it to be for one of the top two picks in this coming draft. We would have to wait until we know who holds those two top picks, but if we couldn't get a top two pick then I wouldn't really want to trade JO.

But going with what TDUBB said... Pacer fans are losing interest for many reasons. First, is this team is boring to watch. They are all tired of watching us dump it into JO and wait for him to turn it over or miss a 15 foot jump shot. Second, we know that we are not going to go deep into the playoffs. First round exit will probably be our end result. Finally, with no draft picks and Ricks refusal to leave Shawn and Ike in the game more than 2 minutes, we have no reason to get excited about the future.

Now if we were to end up with a top two pick and that ended up being Durant or Oden, that would create a buzz in Indy and the fans would come to watch. Even if we didn't win many games we would have some excitement to our team. I would even say that if we took Durant or Oden now and lost JO that we would still be a .500 team, but a younger and more exciting .500 team.

Sports Logo

I think the question of whether JONeal is going to opt out before the start of the 2008-2009 season is based off of whether he ( at the age of 30...when he has the option to opt out ) can...as a Free Agent can get a contract that is worth more then 44 million ( whichs how much he would earn if he sticks with the contract ).

Do any of you think that he can get more then 44 million at the age of 30 years old?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Personally, I think it's time to look a yet another lineup change (provided no new moves are made before the Break).

What we've seen thus far has been several attempts to pair certain players w/JO in order to re-establish an inside-outside game while at the same time raising the tempo of the offense. It didn't work w/JO-Al. It's working better w/JO-Murphy, but it's not quite there. Part of the problem there is Murphy and MDjr haven't been as confident with their game since being traded here. The irony is they both have come alive now sharing the spotlight in back-to-back home games; Murphy had his game going against Seattle and MDjr had his last night against the Nuggets. Unfortunately, JO is nursing a knee injury. So, we're unable to determine if the breakout play of the two newbies were 1-night wonders w/them stepping up finally, if they've finally got it all figured out or if it was just luck. Or if they just work better in a more free-flowing offense that doesn't rely on feeding the low-post as often w/JO on the bench or receiving limited playing time. Regardless of the reasons why their games have suddenly improved (if only for their one game, respectively), the experiments have to stop! And that's how I view staying with a starting lineup of JO/Granger/Murphy/MDjr/Tinsley. I think RC has to make another change.

I think Quis needs to start at SG, and Army should start at PG. The switch to Quis should be pretty obvious; Tinsley's not a SG, and to use him that way frankly was no better than inserting Sarunas in that position when he was here. However, I do understand why Tinsley has either been called upon to shoot the ball more as a Guard or he has taken it upon himself to do so. Without Quis, the Pacers lack a legit playmaker. No, Quis isn't our answer for a Kobe, D-Wade, AI or any of those other players, but teams disrespect his play enough that he has surprised some people with his ability to get to the basket w/near ease, myself included!

The switch to Army would probably give this team a chance to win the first quarter, thereby putting pressure our their opponents rather than constantly playing from behind. In fairness, the Pacers are competing, but their play of late has been more like a team that's still finding its way rather than a team that should have a legit chance at making a move in the post-season. Tinsley would still get the lion's share of starter's minutes, but I think we need to come out with energy instead of looking to "find it" when the energy guys are rotated in.

Another area I would look at is rotating JO to Center when Diogu off the bench and playing him at PF. I would also like to see more of Shawne Williams at SF. This grouping in the low-post would give us the height we've been missing down low. These last three games, I've noticed how dribble penetration has hurt the Pacers. Bigger bodies might help to stop some of this. Another alternative might be to use David Harrison more than his 2-5 mpg. He's finally healthy enough to play. Play the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No Soup, don't you remember how the Pacers traded their one all-star after the team hit the skids in 97. ECF to first round to no playoffs, it was CLEAR that the team couldn't move forward unless they moved the one major star they had in order to rebuild, mostly through the draft.

Trading Reggie for those 3 picks that were later used to get Artest, Brad Miller and Tinsley are why the team eventually made their way back to the ECF in 03-04.

Wait, you mean that's not how it happened?

Yeah, JO is definitely going to leave 20m on the table in order to get 16m from Atlanta or Charlotte. And just what is it that people think is going to be brought in? One of the other 5 or 6 (if that) 28-30 year old big superstars?
    In all fairness, Jalen Rose had almost equal value to Reggie, due to his productivity and age in comparison with Reggie. I think it was the same sort of situation as trading Artest instead of O'Neal, except that in this case, Rose didn't have any 'issues' to drop his trade value.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm for anything that makes the team better, trading JO is not it IMO.

JO is not going anywhere, where else is he going to make what we're paying him with that pesky little thing called a salary cap. Trading a all star for several players never works. 6 time all stars are not a dime a dozen, big man that score in the post are even rarer. We can rebuild with minor changes, a complete overhaul is just idiotic.

The only way I see JO going anywhere is for Garnett, but if we have to give up a lot with JO we'll just in up T-Wolves East.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I would only move Jermaine for a top two draft pick which would assure us Odin or Durant and send Jamal Tinsley packing too. It may not be pretty for a year or two but I could deal with a team that is young and inexperienced trying to build chemistry with one another, more than I could a team that ends up in police blotter all the time and loses to horrible competition on a whim. Also being lied to is never fun TPTB promise us this or that and never deliver. Rick isn't all that bad of a coach but he does enough annoying things that drive me up the wall that I wouldn't mind see him gone.

I think for this team to ever move forward we need a clean slate. Someone in here earlier mentioned that we might become T-wolves east, I feel like we're already there only difference is we're actually making the playoffs cause we're in the crappy east and only to be bounced out in the first round.

I just fear that we'll end up exactly in the same predicament the Timberwolves are in with a player that is capable at playing at a level to at least keep you around .500 from here until he eventually wears down and can no longer shoulder the load to where he'll eventually retire as another face of our organization who never got a ring. I don't wanna see that happen again. At some point we should just cut our losses and move forward.

Ouch TheDon. I hadn't thought of it before but I think the P's are in the role of the Twolves east.

I really would hate to give up Jermaine Oneal.I've always liked the guy.I think he plays hard and I know he wants to win.Those are two things I always look for in a player. That being said if the Walsh/Bird feel that Diagu can be your starting powerforward for next 7 years and be a double double threat and you can aquire a young pg /sg who is going to be a star or is a star then I would do it.

I would not trade Jermaine Oneal for a guard who is over 30 or past his prime.In my oppinion that would make no sense.For example I love Ray Allen, I love Paul Pierce but those are moves I would not make because Diagu is not ready to replace Oneals production and though adding either one of those players may make us a better team we still wouldn't be able to compete with the top teams in the league. In a perfect world I would love to keep Oneal and trade for a guy like Ray Allen or Paul Pierce because in my opinion were really not that far away from being a contender like everybody thinks we are but I just don't know if we have the pieces to make it happen.

I honestly can't see any trade involving JO making us a better team in the next 3 or 4 years.

I can't name one player who we could substitute JO for and become a contender. I guess you could argue that we could get a couple second or third tier guys an improve, but in making trades I think you have to believe your getting the better player.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."