37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cato June

33 89.19%
  • Dominic Rhodes

4 10.81%

Thread: Cato or Dominic?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cato or Dominic?

We have plenty of un-restricted free agents, but the only no-brainer that we have to re-sign is Dwight. I'm actually expecting both of these guys to be gone, but just for fun, what if it came down to one or the other?

I think this is sort of a case of which playoff resurgence do you believe in more? Last year Cato was a pro-bowler, but wasn't nearly that good in the regular season. However, the linebackers as a whole were very good in the playoffs this season. Do you think we should keep the June/Brackett/Morris group together?

Dominic was not very good during the regular season, but was a huge part of our playoff success. Are you ready to see Joe Addai be the feature and number 1 back, or should we keep that 1-2 punch? Keep in mind that all 4 of the teams that made it to the AFC and NFC championship games had 2 headed monsters at the running back position. Is this a formula we should continue to follow?

Default Re: Cato or Dominic?

Even though I would rather keep Cato over Dominic it's my opinion we are going to go after a meaner-than-**** MLB in the draft. It would be nice to keep Dom but I think he could be replaced fairly easily in the draft.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I would think that you keep Cato over Dominic if it came down to it.

I think that the Colts need a lineback more. Also, I feel that a solid back can be found easier than a LB.

With Dominic's performance in the playoffs and the Superbowl I think that it could land him a big contract. At the very least I think he will want to be a teams primary back and I see Joseph Addai as Indy's primary back.

Correll Buckhalter and Adrian Peterson are guys who could replace Dominic, either should be fairly decent and come much cheaper than Dominic.

I agree though, this team is likely to go after a linebacker in the draft. They would have to I would think.

Cato June is a no brainer.

I don't think you will resign either of them because neither of them really deserve a big contract. I'd look for some good defensive players via FA.

Both will be too expensive to keep. But boy oh boy, we really do need LBs. Of course it doesn't matter, since we never want to keep them.

But also we have to worry about Harper/David, Lilja/Scott
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both bring alot of passion to our team and our team leaders. I don't see us keeping either as they are replaceable but it is sure going to suck seeing them play for somebody else. Hopefully they don't pull a Thornton on us and sign with somebody in our division.

I think Polian and Irsay have seen Thornton and Washington and Peterson all go and make great impacts, so I think June could very well stay, not to say I would be shocked if we can't keep him.

I actually think the Colts will try and keep Dom since he know the offense however backup RB is certainly easier to replace than June would be. I had heard a few places inlcuding John Clayton that they may finally restructure Manning's contract using a large sum as a "signing bonus" or something similar allowing to resign a few people.

I guess some of it depends on how the draft shapes us as well..

Why Not Us ?

An easy answer really -- Cato June -- especially if the team thinks Gilbert Gardner won't ever get to a place where he can contribute. You don't want to be replacing both outside linebackers in the same offseason.

Sticking with the two-back attack is the way to go, but if Addai has to shoulder some extra load until a draft pick is ready to contribute, so be it. We've been there before.

In my mind, June's just far more difficult to replace. It took him a few years to learn the defense; David Thornton was the same.

I'd have to put some serious thought into a Nick Harper vs. Rhodes poll question, too. Running backs in the NFL are just too short-lived, too easy to replace, in general. Same with replacing the starting guards. Guards are easy to find, tackles are not.

And, for the record, free agency is not the way to go. Look at our team. We've developed nearly every vital player.

Just for clarification.

David/Scott are restricted and more than likely will be tendered. Lilja and Harper are gone. I like Cato in coverage, but I am tired of seeing him blown up against the run. I think we need to let him go and give Hagler and Kieaho a chance. I think Freddie is going to be a very good player
    "If I tell you its Easter, you'd better hide eggs" - Peyton Manning to Marcus Pollard

You keep Cato because the drop off in production after him is huge. If we draft the LB from PSU Pol.... then the story changes. Everyone says it will be tough to resign Cato, you forget he is the size of most safeties, and that will scare a lot of teams off, so it shouldn't be as expensive as you think.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Polian and Irsay have seen Thornton and Washington and Peterson all go and make great impacts, so I think June could very well stay, not to say I would be shocked if we can't keep him.

I actually think the Colts will try and keep Dom since he know the offense however backup RB is certainly easier to replace than June would be. I had heard a few places inlcuding John Clayton that they may finally restructure Manning's contract using a large sum as a "signing bonus" or something similar allowing to resign a few people.

I guess some of it depends on how the draft shapes us as well..
    But IMO June is the weakest of all of them, so I think he still gets let go.

I think you have to keep David seeing his progress and the suffering the team went through to get him to his level. Harper would be nice considering where he is at, but you did draft Marlin and Hayden for a reason, and they've got 2 seasons under their belt now.

Lilja and Scott would be my #2 and #3 priorities after David.

Gotta draft a LB early even if June stays (unless the LBs left are WAY below the caliber of the most talented players on the board at that point).

I wouldn't keep Dom at all if it takes big cash to do so. He benefitted from playing against tired defenses during the 2nd half of games in the playoffs, but as was said, Addai did outplay him this year and that should only get worse next season.

It would be nice if they could keep all these guys, I'd hate to see Dom go after being part of the team for so long and sticking out the backup role like he has.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll hate to see anyone go, but especially Cato and Harper. Though Lilja and Scott are VERY important. I think I'd like to see Cato stay just because of the energy he brings, the excitement, and the fact that I've got a hat signed by him.

Harper, IMO, is our best CB. I like David (Marlin and Kelvin too), but if it's an either/or situation with them, I try to keep Harper. If it were possible, I'd go after Asante Samuels as well, but it might mean keeping David because he'll probably have a smaller price tag than Harper.

Losing Dom wouldn't hurt us too bad, though anytime you lose such an integral part in the team is does have its effects. I wouldn't mind us letting Dom walk if he wants, and drafting a RB in a later round.

I think we draft LB this year. DEFINITELY if we lose Cato, but even if we don't. If we could land a guy like the one from Penn, I'd be stoked. Either way, I think that's where our first pick should go.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Banned

We are too thin at Linebacker to not sign June. Linebacker is the one place we cant afford to get any thinner. We resign June and Morris and we got a good shot at repeating. Also, I think Freddy made some great strides for a rookie this year and could see a lot more playing time next season.

We are deep along the defensive line, at safety and at the corner position. We can afford to lose Harper and probably will. I would like to see David back for depth, but I would expect to see Jackson and Hayden starting regardless. And we still have Jennings, our 2nd round draft pick last year at corner.

As far as the offense line goes, as long as we keep either Lilja or Scott we will be fine. Although both would be nice. We got Gandy and Johnson still as experienced reserves and Bill always manages to find quality late round or undrafted offensive linemen.

Needless to say the WR spot is well manned, although depth may be a concern with Stokely unable to stay healthy and Moorehead being a restricted. TE is solid with Dallas and Fletcher signed, but I sure dont want to see Big Ben get away.

RB is in good hands with Addai, but depth will be needed and I dont think it will be Dom. Someone is going to throw more money at him than we are willing to pay.

All in all I dont think we are in as dire shape as many of the pundits are trying to make out. Freeney and Cato are the two biggest priorities.