Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is the worst 5-0 team I have ever seen

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default This is the worst 5-0 team I have ever seen

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won, but this team isn't even on par with last season's team, which didn't win squat. The run defense is embarassingly bad, and Manning is starting to get somewhat inconsistent.

Btw, da Bears are da best team in da NFL, hands down. Yeesh. I hope someone finds a chink in that armor soon. They're just amazing right now.

Default Re: This is the worst 5-0 team I have ever seen

Wahhh, who cares, it's week friggin 5.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wahhh, who cares, it's week friggin 5.
    Not to mention, over half of the Colts are on/have recently been on the IL.

sweabs

Like others have said, it's still early.

But yeah - the Bears honestly look unbeatable. I love watching that team play right now...they have everything clicking. Their defence is fun to watch.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    Like others have said, it's still early.

But yeah - the Bears honestly look unbeatable. I love watching that team play right now...they have everything clicking. Their defence is fun to watch.
    Yeah they remind me of how the Colts started last season. Let's hope that's how they finish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yeah they remind me of how the Colts started last season. Let's hope that's how they finish as well.
    No, I think the Bears will fare a little better come playoff time. We will have a real home field advantage, the cold weather.

I am far from a Colts fan, but give me a break.

The NFL season in a marathon, not a sprint.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

We've certainly not looked like we did at this time last year, but you don't just win 5 games in a row by getting lucky.

I'm glad we've had problems now, we need it. As fans we're too used to everything going perfect for us.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

These games actually show a lot for me. The past few years, we wouldn't have beaten the Jags, nor even the Titans, if we played 3+ qtrs. like that

It was either a shootout, or the Colt's lost. They couldn't get over the hump in close games.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

You mean they are 5-0 and there's still room for improvement?

I'd consider this a good combination.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Btw, da Bears are da best team in da NFL, hands down. Yeesh. I hope someone finds a chink in that armor soon. They're just amazing right now.
    That's silly.

The NFC North is pathetic, with 3 of the five worst teams in football (plus Texas and Tennessee.) Granted, a few weeks ago I was saying four of the six worst teams in football were in the NFC North, but I'd now put the Bears in the top-ten.

A few years ago, I told everybody around town that the Bears were the worst 13-3 team in the history of football, and then they got crushed in the playoffs.

Reality will set in. I'm left forever holding the memory of Brian Urlacher, - who wouldn't be the best lineback on any single team in the AFC North but is still considered "the best defensive player in football" simply because he plays LB for the Bears - being drug ten yards into the endzone by Jerome Bettis last season. Well, nine yards. Urlacher finally let go as Jerome scored.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Pacer Pride

The Colts are fine right now. They have played sub-par with several key injuires espicaly on defense and are still 5-0. When we get everyone totaly healthy we'll be back to old form.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Reality will set in. I'm left forever holding the memory of Brian Urlacher, - who wouldn't be the best lineback on any single team in the AFC North but is still considered "the best defensive player in football" simply because he plays LB for the Bears - being drug ten yards into the endzone by Jerome Bettis last season. Well, nine yards. Urlacher finally let go as Jerome scored.
    OK, come on Jay. I agree that Urlacher is slightly overrated, but you've got to be kidding me.

Joey Porters best season tackle wise was 60, Urlacher has had 5 seasons where he had 85 or more tackles, including one season where he had 115 tackles, nearly twice that of Porter's best season. Last year Porter had 39 tackles, Urlacher will have met that mark by the midway point of this season if not even earlier. Porter's best season sack wise was 10.5, which he accomplished twice which is only 2.5 more then Urlacher's best season and Brian doesn't blitz half the amount of times Porter does.

Its only a matter of time till the bears play somebody that is decent, because they haven't.

Bills, Packers, and Lions are garbage. Flat out. They only beat the Vikings because the Vikings screwed up at the end and choked. And they beat the seahawks who are currently suffering the effects of two unrelated curses.

Are they better than the Colts yes, are they unbeatable no. Remember we looked unbeatable till week 14, when the Jags almost came back. And next weak the Chargers beat us.

Plus soon Grossman will get hurt, like always. I would like to see the Colts actually healthy as well, hopefully the Bye gives us time.

Our running game is fine IMHO, but Losing Simon has killed our run D, and that has to shore up.

Porter's role is different than Urlacher's, and James Farrior frequently leads our team in tackles but he's not our best linebacker.

Porter's ability to totally disrupt a passing game from LB is not really measured in the quantity of tackles, sacks, and interceptions he gets. Its in his ability to get the defense off the field by forcing fumbles, making interceptions, applying pressure, and forcing bad passes. He's no slouch against the run, but the Steelers 3-4 package generally frees up the ILBs for more of the run tackles, statistically.

He's had several games in his career in which he's had both a sack and an interception. Proving how good he is either in a blitz or in coverage.

That's silly.

The NFC North is pathetic, with 3 of the five worst teams in football (plus Texas and Tennessee.) Granted, a few weeks ago I was saying four of the six worst teams in football were in the NFC North, but I'd now put the Bears in the top-ten.

A few years ago, I told everybody around town that the Bears were the worst 13-3 team in the history of football, and then they got crushed in the playoffs.

I'm sorry, but saying the Bears aren't the best team in the NFL is completely stupid. They are beating opponents by a margin of 31 points a game and lead the NFL in total offense. Rex Grossman is looking like a future stud and Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson are playing very well in the rushing game. The Bears defense is as stingy as always and is the first or second best in the league behind maybe Baltimore.

They have an extremely weak schedule and will probably cruise to the best record in the NFL, but that doesnt take away from the fact that they have played a few decent teams. The Bills aren't that bad of a team this year..and if you watched the game, the Bears dominated it from the get go. It's been that way for every single game. They've completely dominated every quarter of football they've played so far this year.

So..The bears have the best offense and best defense in the league right now..and will probably finish with a top 3 offense and a #1 defense...Superbowl contenders..and #1 in the NFL by a large margin.

As for the Colts, the only way they will win in the playoffs is if their defense starts showing up. Travis Henry and Lendale White destroyed you guys this weekend..let me stop and re-iterate that to you. TRAVIS HENRY!!! I would hate to see what a talented back would do to your defense right now. Unless the Colts run defense drastically improves, the Colts will lose in the first game of the playoffs. It doesn't matter of Joseph Addai or Dominic Rhodes start playing out of their mind. If your defense can't stop the likes of Travis Henry, you are in some very serious trouble.

Or they'll lose in their first playoff game when they play against a better team. That's what I'd count on.

I hope for Grossman's sake that he's finally able to stay healthy. He makes them a lot better. Without Grossman, they are barely a top-twenty team even though they'll win that awful division. That's the easiest 6-0 I've ever seen.

He makes them better, but not "best in the league" better.

Or they'll lose in their first playoff game when they play against a better team. That's what I'd count on.

I hope for Grossman's sake that he's finally able to stay healthy. He makes them a lot better. Without Grossman, they are barely a top-twenty team even though they'll win that awful division. That's the easiest 6-0 I've ever seen.

He makes them better, but not "best in the league" better.
    Have you watched any of the games? Grossman has been playing like a top 3 QB all season. He gets taken out at the middle of the 3rd in nearly every game..so he could potentially have even better numbers. He makes them the best in the league..Along with another great season from Thomas Jones.

I'm not even a bears fan, I don't like them much..but you can't deny how good they are. I really wouldn't be surprised to see them go 16-0.

I forgot the main reason the Bears scare me so much. Their offense isn't even fully clicking yet. They are kicking tons of FGs this year...if that offense manages to make more of the opportunity's their defense gives them, they really will be unbeatable.

I'll say this, I do try to avoid the watching NFC at all costs. And the team that plays in the town I currently live in has some of the most delusional homers you'll ever encounter. This is the fan base that thinks the '85 Bears were a great dynasty - such a great dynasty that only appearing in one Super Bowl should not separate that dynasty from the 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, and 2000's Patriots.

I saw last year's Bears team in person a couple of times, and was not impressed at all.

Yes, Grossman makes them better. But they're going to have to beat some legit teams to convince me they belong in the top-five, with NE, Cincinnati, Indy, etc.

And going 1-3 (albeit last season) against the division I pay the most attention also leaves a lasting impression.

That's silly.

Comparing the 2001 Bears to the current team is not a valid comparison. Yes, I'd agree with you those Bears were not truly the caliber of team that a 13-3 record would have indicated. Those Bears should have been more like 11-5 or 10-6 but caught some breaks and found ways to win very close games.

Luck played a big role for the 2001 Bears. Luck ain't got a thing to do with 2006. The Bears are flat out destroying teams and playing strong ball in all three phases of the game. The defense is amazing of course. The offense is as effective and balanced as I've ever seen. The Bears currently lead ALL NFL teams in points scored and the running game has just started to get established. Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson are an effective combo out of the backfield. The offensive line is solid. Rex Grossman isn't afraid to attack the defense down the field and doesn't just manage the game for the defense, he goes for the jugular too. Robbie Gould has been perfect on FGs, Brad Maynard is a perennial Pro Bowl punter. The Bears cover kicks very well and have a dangerous return game with Rashied Davis and Devin Hester although Hester makes me nervous a lot of times.

Urlacher isn't overrated and if your basis for that comment is Bettis trucking him on one play last season, so be it. Earlier in his career yeah I think Brian was perhaps overhyped because he mainly just ran around like a madman and would often get himself caught out of position on plays. Now he has learned to study film and use his mind as well as his physical ability.

For you to say Urlacher wouldn't be the best LB on any AFC North team, that is just plain assinine. Name for me the Bengals and Browns LB's that are better. I'll grant proper respect for guys like Joey Porter and Ray Lewis but that is all.

I'll say this, I do try to avoid the watching NFC at all costs. And the team that plays in the town I currently live in has some of the most delusional homers you'll ever encounter. This is the fan base that thinks the '85 Bears were a great dynasty - such a great dynasty that only appearing in one Super Bowl should not separate that dynasty from the 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, and 2000's Patriots.

I saw last year's Bears team in person a couple of times, and was not impressed at all.

Yes, Grossman makes them better. But they're going to have to beat some legit teams to convince me they belong in the top-five, with NE, Cincinnati, Indy, etc.

And going 1-3 (albeit last season) against the division I pay the most attention also leaves a lasting impression.
    All I can say is I'm far from a Bears homer and setting aside those biases created by those around you, I'm telling you it's a different team this year. I don't blame you one bit for being turned off by the Bears 1-3 record against the AFC North last year. But that team had a mediocre rookie QB starting who could do nothing more than not screw it up. The fact the Bears won 10 of 15 games with Orton starting is a tribute to how tough the defense played along with Thomas Jones ground game.

The Bears play at New England next month, so I guess if that is your proving ground then we'll see it play out.

Pacer Pride

There is no doubt that as of right now the Bears are by far the best team in the NFL. Thier defense is as good as it gets and as long as Grossman stays healthy and keeps the mistakes down they are the team to beat. They have a solid group of recievers and Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson gives them a above average backfield. I still think Rex is playing over his head right now but we'll see. It's hard to say they haven't played anyone because they blew out Seattle, and yes I know they was without Alexander but he wouldn't have made up 24 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    For you to say Urlacher wouldn't be the best LB on any AFC North team, that is just plain assinine. Name for me the Bengals and Browns LB's that are better. I'll grant proper respect for guys like Joey Porter and Ray Lewis but that is all.
    Fair enough. I've been saying that out loud to the folks in Chicago for several years; and at one time the Bengals and Browns had superior LBs than their current corps, but free agency and age have taken their toll.

Maybe Urlacher would be the fourth best LB in the division. I'm starting to believe that Clark Haggans is every bit as good as Joey Porter, but he toils in obscurity.

Yes, the NE game, I'll grudgingly watch the Bears that day. Because, of course, I'm still picking NE to resume its dynasty this year.

Banned

Hey folks, if there has been any lesson learned from the last several years it is that you want to be playing your best ball come January..... who cares how they are winning the first three months of the season. It dont mean crap. We have looked like world beaters in the early stages of many different seasons, it didnt mean crap. All that matters is how you are playing come January.