Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Vs. Sonics Postgame thread

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Pacers Vs. Sonics Postgame thread

Anybody left that still thinks Rick is a great X's and O's coach?

Default Re: Pacers Vs. Sonics Postgame thread

If we're talking tic tac toe... otherwise, not after tonight

I'm already on record as saying that this should be Ricks last season here in Indiana...

I don't think he's a bad coach... I just feel like his tenure as the Pacers head coach has run it's course and it should be over when this season is finished. Sure he's been dealt a bad hand having to deal with some of the nutjob players that have worn the blue and gold these past few years.... but even considering that, I still think it's time for a different direction coaching wise.

This game should have been won. We lack the understanding of how to close out a game, at home of all places?!?!?! I think TINS is playing great of late, but not sure if he should be taking the last shot, but I wasn't able to watch the game, so not sure the game situation. But I could see by checking the score on my phone that we were going to lose. Don't know what else to say, but get it together, you are playing at HOME! I know that these are Westeren Conference teams, but come on, play hard and close these teams out in the forth. SOmeone in our locker room should be screaming right now, these are important games... 3 steps forward and then two back, same Pacers.

Nice game tonight by many of our players, but it means nothing without that W.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

I don't understand Rick's belief in end-of-quarter/half/game situations being the time to give the ball to the PG and just expect him to pull something out of his ***, with the possible addition of a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no

very tired of him, but I know he is a good coach.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't understand Rick's belief in end-of-quarter/half/game situations being the time to give the ball to the PG and just expect him to pull something out of his ***, with the possible addition of a pick.
    And not having 1 player move into open position while the PG is being doubled and the D is waiting to collapse while still having a 20 sec time out left.

Can we lay to rest the idea that Tins does the driving and such on his own account ?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    And not having 1 player move into open position while the PG is being doubled and the D is waiting to collapse while still having a 20 sec time out left.

Can we lay to rest the idea that Tins does the driving and such on his own account ?
    I'm not going to let his entire game-by-game performance go, no; I don't like a lot of what I see in those terms.

But in these situations? I don't blame him at all.

Sure was fun to watch a game without Jermaine O'Neal. Love that style of play where we're only in it because we're unconscious from deep.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2 losses to the Sonics in the final secs... a good team would have found a way to win ONE of those games. Maybe we need to get healthy, maybe we need a new coach, maybe we need an overload.... after 2 straight home lossed to below .500 teams.... WE NEED SOMETHING!

Ok, I've read the first 9 posts and no one has even mentioned the word Defense. That is why the Pacers lost. Blame Rick all you want for JT missing that final shot, but the defense is what killed us tonight.

it is really as simple as that

I thought Tinsley played well tonight - he was a more willing passer and he was able to get into the paint which is where I want him shooting from. No three point shots please.

I do need to say that Watson, a player I've wanted for 3 season now, looked impressive to me

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    And not having 1 player move into open position while the PG is being doubled
    Can you even POSSIBLY be serious?????????????????

You think it's HIS fault that nobody moves on this team??????????????

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Ok, I've read the first 9 posts and no one has even mentioned the word Defense. That is why the Pacers lost. Blame Rick all you want for JT missing that final shot, but the defense is what killed us tonight.

it is really as simple as that

I thought Tinsley played well tonight - he was a more willing passer and he was able to get into the paint which is where I want him shooting from. No three point shots please.

I do need to say that Watson, a player I've wanted for 3 season now, looked impressive to me
    I mentioned defense some in the game thread.. too angry to include it here!

I agree Tinsley played well, I didn't even notice he was 10-26 from the field. Any other night I think I would have know Tinsley shot 26 times, but his all around game blacked out how many times he shot.

Blame Rick all you want for JT missing that final shot
    I'm not blaming Rick for JT missing a shot, I'm blaming Rick for coming up with an ill-conceived, predictable play on a potential gamewinning shot. Was it inevitably Rick that caused us to lose? absolutely not those lob-passes and alley-oops and uncontested layups finally caught up with us. But you have to admit that last play was beyond wretched.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He was smart enough to get craptastic Dunleavy out of the game and off of Ray Ray and put Granger on him. That cut the damage.

He opened the 3rd by running sets designed to get Murphy the 3pt look, that worked well. He also was calling the play that kept getting DA the open 3 in the corner. Didn't hear a lot of fan complaints about that one.

And he had his 2 best rebounders in the game to pull in that Ray Allen miss and the Tinsley miss. Too bad they didn't get the defensive board and couldn't put the offensive board in at the other end. Either play would have won the game. Regardless, he had his best rebounders in the game for those 2 situations.

Sure was fun to watch a game without Jermaine O'Neal. Love that style of play where we're only in it because we're unconscious from deep.
    Amen. I saw motion. I saw confused, unsure of where guys were supposed to be motion, but they were moving. I vote that any style where your all-star player gets the ball most of the time is good.

For all the rips on Tins (and he did force the 2nd half action into the toilet when it came to his shooting), he had to tell several players where to be when they were trying to run that DA 3pt look play yet again. He called it and no one setup right. He shook his head in disgust and redirected them. The play then ran perfectly except that Foster got nailed with the moving screen (late 4th).

It's not as simple as Rick or Tinsley. Players are confused, probably due to the massive roster changes that get worse when your star player is out.

And you guys that rant about JO's passing (which is quite good now, even statistically), watch Ike freak out in the post when he has to move the ball. He struggled to pass out of the post all night.

One thing about that final call, how did the Pacers regain the lead just a minute earlier? Exactly.

Heck, how did Granger and Murph and DA get those open 3s? Tins starting plays is NOT WRONG. Calling Tins number to work inside isn't wrong. Ray Allen was asked to do it all night too. The problem came when he forced the play beyond where it should go. At some point you have the option to pass depending on how the play is defended.

Rick tried a lot of different sets and kept adjusting all night looking for something that would work. He ran the hell out of those Murph and DA for 3 sets (those were set plays with several stages before the shot, which is why they looked identical every freaking time) because they were working.

The fact is this team lost Quis, lost JO, and traded down from Jack to DunDun. They were an iffy offensive team before and its worse now even when Quis and JO are out there. The defense from Dun is very questionable, Murph is hit and miss.

Fixing the attitude came at a price, one this roster wasn't really in a position to afford.

If it makes you feel better, this will probably end Rick's tenure here. And then it will get really ugly. Good news for all you lottery is magic fanatics, it's probably a season away.

I'm not blaming Rick for JT missing a shot, I'm blaming Rick for coming up with an ill-conceived, predictable play on a potential gamewinning shot. Was it inevitably Rick that caused us to lose? absolutely not those lob-passes and alley-oops and uncontested layups finally caught up with us. But you have to admit that last play was beyond wretched.
    I thought it was a pretty good shot - he usually makes that.

I don't know how Granger missed the put back a very similar shot to the one he missed at the end of the Mavs game.

I missed the first half of the game, but from what I saw, Dunleavy did a decent job on Allen. It wasn't the disaster I would have predicted.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hmm, you did see the final made FG by the Pacers, right? I mean it was on the same channel just a minute or two earlier.

I missed the first half of the game, but from what I saw, Dunleavy did a decent job on Allen. It wasn't the disaster I would have predicted.
    Yes it was. Wasn't it in the 2nd half when DunDun fell on Ray while trying to keep up with him (Gnome laughed out loud when it happened)? That was the closest to staying in front of him he could muster all night.

Ray hit some tough shots against Danny and did get by him once. But at least DG was able to stay in front of him most of the time. And I've been critical of DG's 1 on 1 defensive smarts. Tonight DG was solid.

I need to see more evidence before I can draw any conclusions. But I'm a little concerned about Diogu's defense. He seems to almost have Harrison-itis. I'm reserving judgment - but it is somehting I'll be watching closely

I need to see more evidence before I can draw any conclusions. But I'm a little concerned about Diogu's defense. He seems to almost have Harrison-itis. I'm reserving judgment - but it is somehting I'll be watching closely
    Harrison's D has been decent this year... all 5 minutes of it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Hmm, you did see the final made FG by the Pacers, right? I mean it was on the same channel just a minute or two earlier.
    Yes it was the same shot and it worked earlier, but the phrase "going to the well one too many times" comes to mind. Like I said...it was predictable. regardless of whether or not it worked on play X does not mean it will work on play Y that's flawed logic.

Banned

These post game threads are 100% reactionary. If we win I know that I'll see certain guys saying how great the team is. If we lose I know I'll see other guys coming on to remind us we need to fire the coach and how bad the team is. Bottom line is we were playing without our All-star, Ray Allen had a great game, and we still had 3 or 4 looks at the basket to win the game.

UB you are write about the defense, we failed to make adjustments in team D tonight with JO sitting, no doubt it was a factor.

I am not that troubled by losing by a FG without the Pacers star. I am mire worried about why every game the Pacers start out flat and spot the other team a lot of points,

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    I am not that troubled by losing by a FG without the Pacers star. I am mire worried about why every game the Pacers start out flat and spot the other team a lot of points,
    The Pacers led this game 10-3.

He was smart enough to get craptastic Dunleavy out of the game and off of Ray Ray and put Granger on him. That cut the damage.
    ok anybody with an IQ of 2 could have made that call

He opened the 3rd by running sets designed to get Murphy the 3pt look, that worked well. He also was calling the play that kept getting DA the open 3 in the corner. Didn't hear a lot of fan complaints about that one.
    ok he ran a few set plays still nothing groundbreaking.

And he had his 2 best rebounders in the game to pull in that Ray Allen miss and the Tinsley miss. Too bad they didn't get the defensive board and couldn't put the offensive board in at the other end. Either play would have won the game. Regardless, he had his best rebounders in the game for those 2 situations.
    Again an obvious coaching move i've seen people on this board wonder why he has kept his rebounders out of the lineup in the closing minutes, he finally made that adjustments after about 3 games good for him.

These last two games have been very disappointing. The Sonics put forth a lot of effort, and the Pacers played pretty hard, so I can't complain about that.

Still, we're not improving as a team. The reason we made the trade was to avoid these ups and downs. And after an impressive 4 game streak, we've come back and lost to a team in the 5th game of a 6-game road trip and then to a team that lost 15 consecutive road games.

I just don't know what to expect out of this team.