Thread: why aren't the Pacers more like the Colts

Default why aren't the Pacers more like the Colts

It seems to me that the Colts have some of the same types as the Pacers but somehow they get the message not to embarrass the team and use good sense. Is it leadership or the fear they will be immediately cut? I doubt it's the latter because a good player gets second and third chances. I don't get it. I know some of the Colts have domestic problems but my point is that they stay away from getting into situations at various clubs that they frequent.

Default Re: why aren't the Pacers more like the Colts

Poor management.

The Pacers are not like the Colts because TPTB said they didn't want any milk drinkers. That was management talking. Now, they are trying to correct their mistakes, but they are in a poor bargaining position.

BTW, it will require purging Larry Bird and maybe RC to fix it. It would be a good idea for the Simons to step up soon.

Why are the Pacers not like the Colts?

Because they don't have the best offensive player in the league.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The Colts don't have Tomlinson either?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

If we had the best player in the game AND that player was a class act, it might be just a *little* easier to win the big one and get fan support.

JO's good. But he's just one guy on a long list of players who are good at his position.

If JO was sitting side-by-side with Lebron or Nash, we wouldn't have this conversation.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

- as far as the off the court stuff - Pure luck is part of it.

But another part of it is that probably 80%-90% of the Colts players can go to locals bars and restaurants and no one has any idea who they are, they can't and don't recognize them. NBA players are more recognizeable - there are only 12-15 per team, they don't wear helmets and most of them are taller than 6'4".

That is one big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

But another part of it is that probably 80%-90% of the Colts players can go to locals bars and restaurants and no one has any idea who they are, they can't and don't recognize them. NBA players are more recognizeable - there are only 12-15 per team, they don't wear helmets and most of them are taller than 6'4".

Someone always knows who a player is and while they may not be taller than 6'4" they are generally built a lot better than skinny bball players and put a couple of them around a table and you know they aren't average joes.

Cultural and media bias against the NBA and for the NFL. The Colts have had incidents in the past few years, one of which involving Mike Doss being rather similar in nature to the Club Rio incident with the Pacers. It gets swept under the rug because more people (including more "regular Americans") prefer football to basketball. In the halcyon days of baseball it was the same way, with baseball players' off-field behavior almost totally ignored by the press while players in other sports (football among them) were painted as crazy violent people.

^I think you're on the money^ and I think Mr. David Stern agree's too, which is why he's trying to change the league image.

Yeah consdiering there were about 15 Colts playeres in the same establishment at the time.

(source Rcick Carlisle)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I can actually see the steam coming out of UB's ears.

Y'know, the weird thing is, I'm a bigger Pacers fan than Colts fan. But, I was happier to see this Colts team win the championship than I would this Pacers team. Not only is a Super Bowl title the biggest, most prestigious title in all of sports these days, but I'm just not as attached to this Pacers team as I have been with Pacers teams in the past. Part of that is being mediocre, but a lot of that comes from not being much of a fan of any particular player on this current team. There's just nothing special about this particular group of Pacers, from the players to the coaches. And the off-court incidents only add fuel to the fire. I can completely understand why people are staying away from this team, but with some tweaks and a nice little winning streak, we can still turn this thing around. The season is only half over.

woman without a team

Why aren't the Pacers more like the Colts? Considering Stephen Jackson used to live next door to Tony Dungy I don't know why more of Tony didn't rub off on Stephen. Of course if Tony had not sat down with Stephen and told him that if he did the right things in life things would ultimately work out for him maybe Stephen would have shot at the guys outside the club instead of shooting into the air.

Before someone asks for a link, Mike Breen said it half an our ago on ESPN during the Warriors/Bulls game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

53 vs 15 would not be pure luck avoiding off court incidents.

Also with only 16 games to play each game is so much more important which translates into the off game days are that much more important to put all you can into practice getting to bed early etc. Not to suggest the Colts players go to be at 9pm but there is a larger impact of them staying out until 3 am before a game day.

One huge reason ? Unguaranteed contracts You don't have the safety net of a multi year contract to fall back on if you step out of line.

As far as the being recognized factor that is true as far as NFL vs NBA.
    But just how many players have the Pacers had over the years that have played here without even a whisper of contraversy? Unfortunately some players have trouble find them. Which is not always their fault but that is the case I think.

Why Not Us ?

Because Walsh finally overpaid and oversigned a group of players who would rather party and rumble than play basketball the right way.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I just don't think JT cares whether he plays for the Pacers or any other NBA team. It's all the same to him now that he has his guaranteed contract.