Thread: DANNY GRANGER: FROM S.I.

Default DANNY GRANGER: FROM S.I.

He's not a big name and he doesn't have particularly flashy stats, but have you noticed how good Indiana's Danny Granger has become in his second season? The 6-9, 230-pounder from New Mexico has increased his scoring average from 7.5 to 13 points and become a dangerous three-point threat (39.6 percent), but Granger does more than score. He is a very tough, physical defender at the small forward position. Granger reemerged as a starter following Indiana's eight-player trade with Golden State on Jan. 17, and he has averaged 17.1 points in his last nine games, with Indiana going 6-3 in those games. Granger, the 17th pick in the 2005 draft, has become a very solid two-way player in just a season and a half.

FROM S.I.
    ---------------

GO DANNY !!!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Default Re: DANNY GRANGER: FROM S.I.

I'm happy to have him, but I admit his defense has disappointed me this season. Last year I thought he'd eventually be Ron-lite on that end of the floor.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He'll come around Hicks. As I repeat ad-nauseum, his main issue is jumping on fakes. Of course he also is lost in his role at both ends too, but other players have implied that Rick's systems can be tricky. Probably part of the reason they want to bail and just play freestyle.

Danny hasn't come off as a really cerebral player and hasn't learned quickly, but still he has learned and improved. It's getting there. At some point his defensive understanding and awareness are going to catch up to his athletic ability and he's going to be intimidating.

His offensive confidence and individual offensive awareness are already a lot better. His team offense is also somewhat improved from the start of the year.

I still see him progressing slowly much like Pippen did. I don't see him as a star yet, but I do feel comfortable with him on the floor.

I also have been repeating this, but I think Shawne is gaining quickly on Danny. He's been a real surprise coming out after just one year. He's a lot better than I expected this season.

Couple of really solid drafts considering where they were picking.

I agree on both accounts (Granger and Williams), Seth. I think that each has star potential, but the Pacers management is a little too conservative with them for my liking.

IMO Granger's got to learn to be aggressive. Take more shots. Of course, I'm thinking that this is mostly out of his control.

He has all the tools to be as good a defender as Artest is.That doesn't mean he will be of course.He has length, lateral quickness and hopefully he will match the desire Artest had on side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree on both accounts (Granger and Williams), Seth. I think that each has star potential, but the Pacers management is a little too conservative with them for my liking.

IMO Granger's got to learn to be aggressive. Take more shots. Of course, I'm thinking that this is mostly out of his control.
    To me it has been really interesting with Granger this year. I do think he is still a little hesitant with his offensive game but not as bad as last year. But sense he is our best 3 pt shooter teams are not leaving him open when he camps out at the 3 pt line only getting shots in quick transition or when the other team makes coverage mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised though if we do see a slighlty different set to get him more shots and cut down on the shots Dun's get.

With his defense I still see him mnaking a lot of team defensive mistakes. Mostly in going for the pump fake which gets him beat off the dribble but I also see him regularly sluff off the "wrong" guy to double leaving a three point shooter open.
    You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? ..... You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.....
    Silly rabbit..... Trix are for kids.