Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who should have been Superbowl MVP

Default Who should have been Superbowl MVP

I thought Rhodes or Addai were more deserving of the MVP. Or even the collective "Indianapolis defense". Peyton played a good game but not a MVP kind of game. 240 yards and 1 touch down is not that great!

Default Re: Who should have been Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Rhodes or Addai were more deserving of the MVP. Or even the collective "Indianapolis defense". Peyton played a good game but not a MVP kind of game. 240 yards and 1 touch down is not that great!
    He managed the game very well. Outside of that one int (that sure looked like a ball he should not have thrown) he was the general behind the dismantling of the Bears' defense.

That said... Rhodes and Addai were very good. But what about the blocking for them?

Peyton said it best when he talked about this being a team win.

Peyton was probably the one guy you could make an argument for deserving the award solo. Otherwise, there were lots of people doing their parts and making big plays when they had their opportunities.

And has there ever been a better receiver than Marvin at those sideline catches? (Man, I was so hoping he'd get a ball thrown at him in the endzone (A TD catch for Marvin in the SB would've been great)).

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well, overall the defense - but there wasn't that one player there.

Manning was as good of a choice as anyone. He managed the game and did the same thing as in Baltimore - when it started looking like it wouldn't take a lot of points to win, went to conservative game plan. Didn't have the numbers but managed the game.

If Addai had gotten those cleanup yards at the end of the game instead of Rhodes he might have gotten it but a big chunk of this game was Manning finally winning the big one - someone else would have had to do something dominant to take it away from him and nobody did.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think it's Jeff Saturday in a walk. Peyton was almost never touched, and how many times did Addai or Rhodes get 8 yards up the middle before they even had a finger on them. I should have been text messaging Saturday all night instead of celebrating.

Tough to pick - I was voting for Addai. But you have to figure Manning would get the nod unless someone else had an over the top great game.

What a great team effort.

A great team game. Colts are the MVP. What a game.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought it would have been Hayden for his INT for a TD that really took any and all life out of the Bears, or Dom with a hundred yards and a TD, but Peyton is as deserving as anyone, mostly for his season, career, and game against NE, not that he didn't play great today, but I thought there were better individual performances today.

streets ahead

i think it had to be peyton... because he's the face/voice of the team and it was a total team win. defense was spectacular (essentially made one mistake the whole game: the run which led to the TD) addai was awesome and rhodes was unbelievable. saturday was great. so how do you give it to just one of those guys other than peyton who is most definely the commander on the field? i think peyton deserved it as much as everyone.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

How often does a guy get 120 yards rushing and NOT win the SuperBowl MVP trophy?

Unfortunately for Rhodes, it all boiled down to name recognition.

But anybody that watched the game realizes that he was far-and-away the best player on the field all game long. (not that the other RB was chopped liver, and that might have causes some voters to split thier RB votes.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I vote for Rex Grossman, he did real well for the Colts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rex Grossman. MVP of the game for the Colts. Thats only about the third time I have sat down and watched him I didn't realize a starting QB in this league could be that bad. Man he really sucks.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Of course, it really doesn't matter ... but ...

I don't know. If you take a real look at it, all those running yards and halfback receptions aren't possible if the Bears aren't playing that incredibly conservative defense.

Why did they do that? Easy -- Manning, Harrison and Wayne.

And, of course, you can't pass the ball if you can't run the ball.

So, what does it all mean? It's a team -- giving the MVP to the team's leader? Not so bad a call.

I've been absorbing this all... checking out different portions of the game from my recordings... checking out highlights on TV... reading recaps...etc..

It's easy to say Rhodes because of his final numbers and especially his work late in the game. He was awesome in crunch time. But when you re-watch earlier in the game (and also do some stat checking) you see Addai had an awesome game as well (some of which might've been forgotten due to what Rhodes did later in crutch time). He had some huge receptions and runs. And he has that knack for always getting an extra yard that you didn't think he would get. Those 10 receptions that Addai hauled in were important... the Bears were giving us that and we took it. And IIRC he picked up some important YAC's.

Those guys were each so important that they probably divided the vote a little. And then Manning directed the attack so you have to consider him up in the mix. And then on defense who didn't make a play in one form or another?

It would be hard to argue co-MVP's for Rhodes and Addai. And Rhodes getting a Superbowl MVP would've made for a great storyline. But it was such a team win that (as said above) that choosing Manning (as the team leader) is hard to argue with as well.

And I've seen the commercial a couple of times already- Tony Dungy AND Dominic Rhodes just won the Superbowl and are going to Disneyland.

-Bball

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...702050410/1100

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Dom played great, Addai played great, the entire defense played great (highlighting Sanders, Hayden, McFarland). But I think it's too obvious that Peyton is the MVP. It was said earlier in this thread, and I think it was spot on--someone would have to had an all-time performance to take it away from Manning, and with it being such a team effort, no one really did.

Besides, no one else even has a commercial!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    How often does a guy get 120 yards rushing and NOT win the SuperBowl MVP trophy?

Unfortunately for Rhodes, it all boiled down to name recognition.

But anybody that watched the game realizes that he was far-and-away the best player on the field all game long. (not that the other RB was chopped liver, and that might have causes some voters to split thier RB votes.)
    I thought Addai was better myself.

He got all his yards when the Bears were still tackling. Dungy put Rhodes in once the Colts went up because he hangs onto the ball better and by then the defense was worn out - could've drove a truck through some of those holes.

Not to discount what he did but Addai's yards were tough - most of Rhodes' were relatively easy.

If it wasn't Manning it's Addai IMO.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think they picked the right guy, one way or another.

He "managed" the game like (imo) only he can do, with little or no errors (ok 1)

We were up 16-14 and Rex QBRating ws 120, PM was 85 but it was very clear then that the (much) better QB was PM.

Peyton did what he did all playoffs, he took what was there, and didn't bother the fancy stuff, solid, eating time and gaining yardage, knowing that if we had to give the ball back, the defense had a good chunk of field to get the ball back.

By doing that he allowed the defense to excel, he allowed Addai and Rhodes to shine, (specially Rhodes) by wearing down the Chicago D adn by doing all that, he deserved the (for now) crown of MVP on his career and game.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Rex Grossman. MVP of the game for the Colts. Thats only about the third time I have sat down and watched him I didn't realize a starting QB in this league could be that bad. Man he really sucks.

Manning has spoiled you and all Colts fans

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    And has there ever been a better receiver than Marvin at those sideline catches? (Man, I was so hoping he'd get a ball thrown at him in the endzone (A TD catch for Marvin in the SB would've been great)).
    -Bball

I can see your point Bball as I really have a great admiration for how Marvin plays the game, but thank goodness after around the 9 minute mark in the 4th Peyton finally decided let's get the win first. After he tried to force that last td pass to Marvin I think he realized let's not make that kind of mistake again.

They finally got one under their belt. Maybe next year MArvin will get that TD in the big one.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I can see your point Bball as I really have a great admiration for how Marvin plays the game, but thank goodness after around the 9 minute mark in the 4th Peyton finally decided let's get the win first. After he tried to force that last td pass to Marvin I think he realized let's not make that kind of mistake again.

They finally got one under their belt. Maybe next year MArvin will get that TD in the big one.
    I agree... I didn't mean that I hoped Manning would've forced anything to make it happen. I just meant I'd love to have seen Marvin get a step on his man and be open for a pass.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I'm cool with Manning getting the MVP.

Addai would have been OK with me.

Rhodes deserved it for sure.

Bob Sanders earned it with three big plays.

How about Kelvin Hayden coming off the bench and making that glorious tight-rope TD run?

Jeff Saturday? Sure!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

Manning managed the game well, but to me obviously it could have been 3 different other players. Bob Sanders with the punishing it on Cedric Benson, that changed the game for us. You could make a case for both Joe Addai and Dominic Rhodes, who ran the ball all over the bears.

Congrats to the bears for somewhat of a good game. BUT THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY ARE..........

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I thought Dom would receive the MVP award, but I think Peyton is deserving as well for managing the game. He placed the team into positive situations by choosing the right plays and making good decisions thereafter.

And hey, Dom may not have won the MVP award, but he is in the "I'm going to Disneyworld!" commercial with Coach Dungy, so it's all good.

GO COLTS!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That maybe true, but the guy did turn the ball over FOUR times in a Super Bowl and he did run an offense that was tied with the Oakland Raiders for most turnovers this season. Thats not exactly great company to be in.

I actually think the argument could be made for Bob Sanders or even Kelvin Hayden being the MVP. I love how this team played yesterday everybody brought their A game.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Rhodes/Addai - CO
    or
    Bob Sanders - fumble caused (awesome hit) and an INT

Manning was solid, but 10 of his passes went to Addai, and a few of those he made something out of not a lot. Rhodes did the same with one check down. 18 was fine, but the 2 RBs BOTH had over 100 yards from scrimmage. That's impressive.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He did pass for almost as many Colts yards (off INT returns) as Bears yards. He threw 1 TD for each team. David Carr has spoiled Texan fans by the Rex standard.