Thread: Bears fans, I wouldn't take too much out on Rex.

Default Bears fans, I wouldn't take too much out on Rex.

For all practical purposes, this is his Rookie year. This is the first year he has been healthy and been able to play all year, and you get to a Superbowl. The kid comes from some pretty good stock and he has won on every level thus far. It doesn't mean he'll win long term in the NFL, but the kid is a winner.

I'll also never forget some pretty forgettable playoff performances by Number 18. The playoffs are a whole different level and every team usually has to walk away from a few nicks and learn a few lessons. Rex and the Bears are no different. And hey, it was a pretty close game most of the time.

The Bears lost as a team. Their heralded defense was no match for the Colts offense, and certainly not on par with the Baltimore Ravens. Outside of their Special Teams, no one team really dominated either side of the football. There was a big dropped pass or two by some receivers, and when you get behind as a QB, you have to take some risks. Risks can equal touchdowns or interceptions.

Anyway, despite what people say, I think he has the opportunity to be quite good. And to get to the Superbowl on your first real healthy year in the league is quite impressive.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Default Re: Bears fans, I wouldn't take too much out on Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Anyway, despite what people say, I think he has the opportunity to be quite good. And to get to the Superbowl on your first real healthy year in the league is quite impressive.
    If this was just a blip on an otherwise shining season you might be onto something but when a player continues to have the same struggles haunt him and the team wins normally despite him you really have to question it. He wasn't the only reason Chicago lost but he was certainly not blameless either.

You'd think eventually he'd get over the nerves and be able to focus on the task at hand. But his focus was questionable just as it was many times throughout the season. It was the Superbowl. If you can't focus for that, what game can you focus for?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

You have some good points but (and I don't know what's there) if there's a top QB in this year's draft I sure look into packaging, say, a 2nd and 3rd rd pick to move up and get him.

I sure wouldn't want to base the future of my franchise on Rex.

I don't really blame him for the loss. I blame the Bear defense - or Colts offense. However the two picks were terrible throws, I couldn't see anything wrong with the muffed snaps (in a lot of ways those bother me more than the picks) and he had a couple of other very bad throws.

The good thing is he only has one more year left on his contract. The Bears can draft a top QB prospect and let him sit next year while they figure out what they have with Rex.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its not all Rex's fault, i mean the Colts D have been ON IT in the playoffs this year.

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    If this was just a blip on an otherwise shining season you might be onto something but when a player continues to have the same struggles haunt him and the team wins normally despite him you really have to question it. He wasn't the only reason Chicago lost but he was certainly not blameless either.

You'd think eventually he'd get over the nerves and be able to focus on the task at hand. But his focus was questionable just as it was many times throughout the season. It was the Superbowl. If you can't focus for that, what game can you focus for?

-Bball
    In the end, Rex had more great 100+ rated games than awful games. I've NEVER seen a Bears QB have that many 100+ games in one season. Heck, probably not many that have done that in their careers.

Rex certainly ended up making far too many mistakes but it was a 100% team loss and I don't think the playcalling helped either. Ron Turner has been strangely inconsistent with his playcalls this season. You never really know what you are going to get there. The Bears should have stayed true to the running game and maybe even let Adrian Peterson get some carries as the change of pace back with Benson out. Calling deep passes in the driving rain, pretty strange too.

Rex did make the necessary plays to help get the Bears to this point. Now he has to work hard this offseason and come out in 2007 as a better, more consistent & polished QB. But he showed me enough in 2006 to feel okay with him back in 2007 but the standard of expectations will definitely rise.

Mood

Rex Grossman was suspect to begin with and the rain just straight up "convicted" him. 2nd and 1 and then end up 3rd and 12??? How can any Bears fan not take it out on the guy? Not yet time to give up on him though. Although I do think he's on a one game leash again. As good as their D is when full force, you just don't need a QB that will throw a game away like Rex does. They get 7-14 points automatically from their D and Special teams every week. They can make another run at the Lombardi next season so with that said I think they should go after Garcia, Gerrard, Volek or even Bledsoe just in case Rex messes up again. Get Warner for crying out loud, maybe it'll help Rex to be with a veteran QB that's won it all just to keep him in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

-Bball
    How many Rookie quarterbacks do you expect to go without those mistakes? For that matter, how many veteran quarterbacks? I have not studied his QB rating, but from what I understand he had games where he was brilliant and games/stretches where he was horrible.

And for the complexity of his position, I think that would be pretty normal.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its brutally cold up here today, and not just the temperature but the disdain directed toward Grossman.

Urlacher is getting a free pass for his no-show last night, though.

Very predictable. Even blaming Rex for Urlacher's bad game by using the "he was tired because the defense couldn't get off the field" excuse.

Rex will need a trade, but these fans do get the QBs they deserve as they don't have any patience whatsoever for the typical "rookie" mistakes that QBs make.

Why Lovie Smith abandoned the run and stuck with the short passing game is beyond me. Cowher even said it point blank in the pregame show, you can beat the Colts' defense if you commit to the run and throw it deep just often enough to keep them honest. And Rex is generally okay with deep passes, its the short ones that get him in trouble.

Foolishly, though, the Bears played right into their own weaknesses and right into the Colts' strength.

But I wouldn't crucify Rex for it.

After all, he did outplay Urlacher (was he even on the field in the second half, I never could find him with the replay button after each play?) yesterday.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    Rex Grossman was suspect to begin with and the rain just straight up made "convicted" him. 2nd and 1 and then end up 3rd and 12??? How can any Bears fan not take it out on the guy? Not yet time to give up on him though. Although I do think he's on a one game leash again. As good as their D is when full force, you just don't need a QB that will throw a game away like Rex does. They get 7-14 points automatically from their D and Special teams every week. They can make another run at the Lombardi next season so with that said I think they should go after Garcia, Gerrard, Volek or even Bledsoe just in case Rex messes up again. Get Warner for crying out loud, maybe it'll help Rex to be with a veteran QB that's won it all just to keep him in check.
    2nd and 1 and the empty the backfield for a passing play. Abandoning the run and calling deep passes in crappy weather when even Peyton Manning is settling for the short passes - all the fingerprints of another golden turd laid by OC Ron Turner.

The Bears have not been getting anything automatically out of that defense in weeks. It went straight downhill the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Its brutally cold up here today, and not just the temperature but the disdain directed toward Grossman.

Urlacher is getting a free pass for his no-show last night, though.

Very predictable. Even blaming Rex for Urlacher's bad game by using the "he was tired because the defense couldn't get off the field" excuse.

Rex will need a trade, but these fans do get the QBs they deserve as they don't have any patience whatsoever for the typical "rookie" mistakes that QBs make.

Why Lovie Smith abandoned the run and stuck with the short passing game is beyond me. Cowher even said it point blank in the pregame show, you can beat the Colts' defense if you commit to the run and throw it deep just often enough to keep them honest. And Rex is generally okay with deep passes, its the short ones that get him in trouble.

Foolishly, though, the Bears played right into their own weaknesses and right into the Colts' strength.

But I wouldn't crucify Rex for it.

After all, he did outplay Urlacher (was he even on the field in the second half, I never could find him with the replay button after each play?) yesterday.
    Probably you couldn't find Urlacher very easily since the Colts offensive line was blowing the Bears front four 10 yards off the ball most plays. They got manhandled and no one player was going to be able to compensate for that.

You're right (and I think everyone appreciates that you are being very gracious in defeat, kudo's for that.)

Their heralded defense got manhandled by a team that's considered a "finesse" team in the AFC. The Colts OL, while extremely talented in pass blocking, is not considered a "blow the guy off the line" run blocking unit.

Its a good thing the Bears didn't have to play one of the AFC's "power" teams.

When I wear my Jerome Bettis jersey to church, I always make it a point to walk up to someone wearing an Urlacher jersey and ask if I can pick them up and carry them six yards into the endzone like Jerome did.

The Bears defense was fine against the other lousy teams of the NFC, but wasn't the best defense on the field yesterday in comparison to a probably-not-in-the-upper-echelon defense in the AFC.

= = = = = = = =

I remain generally indifferent about the Colts, but after months of narrow-minded hype I did enjoy watching the Bears get manhandled by whatever AFC opponent they faced.

This game was like a reply of the New England one.

The Colts did exactly what they said they were going to do: pack the box to stuff the run and make Rex Grossman beat them. Other than the one 52-yard run (this game's analogue to the New England 4th and long run) and some garbage by Jones late, the Bears running game was completely ineffective.

The problem with the Bears is that they just aren't that good a team. They overachieved this year - a credit to them - but like the 13-3 team a while back they aren't as good as their record indicates. Blaming Rex Grossman just takes away from the other fundamental weaknesses on the team.

I was listening to the Score today and it is amazing how the tune has changed. Now "everyone knows" the Colts would beat the Bears 8 out of 10 times, so why couldn't this be one of the 2? Wow.

The ideas being thrown around in Bears land are ludicrous. They really think they are a QB away from being Superbowl champs. Like many NBA debates we've had, a lot of their fans want to dump Rex and even mortgage the future to try to get a QB to let them make a run next year. The problem with that is that if they go for a guy like Garcia and don't make it, they could easily be wandering in the wilderness for quite some time.

I for one don't expect to see the Bears in the Superbowl next year. Though with the weak NFC Central it seems likely they'll at least make the playoffs.

Jay, Urlacher is good, but his strength is not strength. It's his quickness and tackling ability. But regardless, this Bears D is not nearly as good as year's past, thanks to injuries and other reasons.

I'm sympathetic to the Bears D here. They were on the field a long time. They did do exactly what the Cover-2 is designed to do: bend but don't break. The Colts red zone execution was poor and they had to settled for FG's a good chunk of the time. The Bears also forced several turnovers. (Though again, shades of the New England game, the Manning interception was effectively a punt - better than a punt, really, since Hester didn't get a chance to return it).

Where I fault the Bears D is in being unable to stop the run up the middle where the Colts just shoved it down their throats. They also failed to pressure Manning, with the result that carved them up with surgical precision on those short passes. When it was clear that the current defensive scheme was not going to stop the Colts, the Bears needed to do something different, and the defenisve coordinator didn't find the adjustments.

As a Bears fan, I'm more than willing to give Rex another year to develope. The offense is fairly young overall, and it was just his first full season. I don't care for Turner's game plan at times, and I think it would help if he got to take a snap or two deep instead of having to drop back all the time. But, I'm not a coach, so he is in the system he is in. I do know that there are many teams that would take him due to the lack of even decent QB's these days.

As for the d, not having two main pieces hurt, but they still should have done better. The Colts were the better team, so I'm not taking it that badly. There is room for improvement all around, so a trip back is very possible. I just hope Briggs stays.

Their heralded defense got manhandled by a team that's considered a "finesse" team in the AFC. The Colts OL, while extremely talented in pass blocking, is not considered a "blow the guy off the line" run blocking unit.
    They aren't considered that but blowing guys off the line is exactly what they did against Baltmore, New England and Chicago at the end of games.

There was a quote by Rivera in the postgames saying he was ausprised by the Colts' patience on offense, that he thought they'd go for the big play. I have two responses for that. First, as a Cowboys fan, I'm not real high on the prospect of having him as head coach based on that and from a SB perspective - didn't he watch any film? That's exactly what the Colts did for the entire playoffs - dink, dunk and run. Manning didn't put up big numbers in any postseason game because he didn't have to, except in the 2nd half vs New England. That's a game preparation mistake if I ever saw one.

Back to Grossman - I don't think you throw him under the bus based on this one game (or even his inconsistency - Manning threw about 25 int's his 1st season) but I also don't think he's established himself as your QB of the future - and I don't think Griese or Orton are the solution either. I'd sure be checking out my options.

Quote Originally Posted by arenn View Post
    Jay, Urlacher is good, but his strength is not strength. It's his quickness and tackling ability. But regardless, this Bears D is not nearly as good as year's past, thanks to injuries and other reasons.
    I think he's a below-average tackler. In one-on-one situations, he just doesn't bring people down short of the first down marker or goal line. He doesn't consistently make run-stopping tackles in the opponent's backfield and goodness gracious, he's playing behind a four-man front so the only time he's double-teamed is if there is a lead (blocking) back.

I think his quickness often gets him into position to make plays, and some games he is able to get involved in just about every play, but he's a much better "assist" tackler.

But he doesn't seem to help "get the defense off the field" - he's not especially good at snuffing out third-down plays to force fourth down and stuff like that.

I'm not saying he's "average" - he's certainly above average but there are a number of better LBs - definetely in the AFC and probably some in the NFC (including, perhaps, Lance Briggs.) There are a number of AFC linebackers that excel at making the plays to get their defense off the field and that's what defense is all about. (How many additional tackles does he "get" to make because he's not stopping drives and the offense gets more plays.) (And stopping drives against the inept NFC North offenses shouldn't really impress anyone.)

He's not a superstar. He's generally only a superstar in the mind of a typical Bears' fan that MIGHT have a division-wide perspective (and its true that he and Briggs are probably the two best LBs in the NFC North, which is otherwise the equivalent of the Missouri Valley Conference) or in rare occasions a conference-wide perspective but has no realistic clue about how the Bears truly stack-up league wide.

But I've been saying all season that I thought the Bears' much-overrated defense would be exposed when they finally got to play against legit NFL competition.

The Colts scored a very conservative 27 points. I certainly had the feeling they were just toying with the Bears' defense and could've scored more if needed (meaning: if the Bears' had done a better job sticking with the running game.)

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    They aren't considered that but blowing guys off the line is exactly what they did against Baltmore, New England and Chicago at the end of games.
    I agree. They are probably a better run-blocking team than their reputation, but there are several better run-blocking teams in the AFC and maybe even Seattle in the NFC.

And that improvement in OL play/ run blocking is what allowed Manning to play like *dare I say it* Brady or Roethlesberger in a big game where its more important to "manage" the offense and sustain drives than for the QB to feel the need to make "big" plays.

Manning really grew up a lot in this year's playoffs. He didn't even try to make plays that have normally been TDs in the regular season but INTs or INCs in the postseason. Historically, you knew that in a close game you could bait him into "quick strike Manning" mode and overplay the passing game. The no-huddle didn't always make a difference because teams would just leave the nickle or dime package on the field anyway.

If Manning had tried to do too much, especially against Baltimore, the season would've ended a few weeks ago and the Bears' would've been smashed by some other AFC representative.

I've said this throughout the playoffs, but that's exactly what is scary to the rest of the league - Manning's decision to abandon James against Pittsburgh (at least enough to keep our defense honest) probably cost you a SB last season. If he remembers this lesson, and if the Colts spend some amount of money improving its D-line for run coverage, there could be a number of additional Lombardi trophies to follow.

That's why a number of people have thought that letting Manning call the plays was the team's achilles heel. In big games, his ego, and/or his need to overcome accusations of "choking", used to get in the way of the gameplan and TEAM success. Not this year.

I agree. They are probably a better run-blocking team than their reputation, but there are several better run-blocking teams in the AFC and maybe even Seattle in the NFC.

And that improvement in OL play/ run blocking is what allowed Manning to play like *dare I say it* Brady or Roethlesberger in a big game where its more important to "manage" the offense and sustain drives than for the QB to feel the need to make "big" plays.

Manning really grew up a lot in this year's playoffs. He didn't even try to make plays that have normally been TDs in the regular season but INTs or INCs in the postseason. Historically, you knew that in a close game you could bait him into "quick strike Manning" mode and overplay the passing game. The no-huddle didn't always make a difference because teams would just leave the nickle or dime package on the field anyway.

If Manning had tried to do too much, especially against Baltimore, the season would've ended a few weeks ago and the Bears' would've been smashed by some other AFC representative.

I've said this throughout the playoffs, but that's exactly what is scary to the rest of the league - Manning's decision to abandon James against Pittsburgh (at least enough to keep our defense honest) probably cost you a SB last season. If he remembers this lesson, and if the Colts spend some amount of money improving its D-line for run coverage, there could be a number of additional Lombardi trophies to follow.

That's why a number of people have thought that letting Manning call the plays was the team's achilles heel. In big games, his ego, and/or his need to overcome accusations of "choking", used to get in the way of the gameplan and TEAM success. Not this year.
    This is really hijacking this thread but the Colts transformation this season is unlike anything I've ever seen. We're not talking about the defense going from average to good but from horrendous to very good.

The Manning transformation is equally as significant though IMO less surprising - he's always been smart.

Somewhere in the Baltimore game, late 1st half, it clicked for him that he wouldn't have to be the hero, that he didn't need 30 points to win that yes, the defense was really going to defend. And he totally changed the team's game. Take the sure FG rather than gamble for a TD, run between the tackles, dink and dunk, use the clock - and actually wear down the Ravens defense by the last 8 minutes of the 4th. I've never seen him manage a game better.

Same in the SB. How many times in the red zone when it was 3rd down did they run? I'm sure some people would say it was bad red zone execution. IMO, on a wet, sloppy day against a team not noted for its offensive firepower and when your defense is playing well it was perfect. Take the sure 3. The ball's wet, the field is slick - why take the chance on a bad pass or a receiver falling down and getting nothing? Take the 3 and get the win.

Very, very different Manning - but part of the reason was it was a very, very different Colts defense. The first half of the season if Peyton doesn't ring up big numbers the Colts are about 1-7 instead of 8-0.

I still can't figure that defense - never seen that kind of turnaround.

Grossman has some confidence issues which is never good for an NFL QB. But that's expected out of a QB who has just played his first full season. The Bears would only be satisfied with their QB if Brady or Manning at the helm.

Rex made a few mistakes (back to back snaps where he scrambled backwards and tripped for a loss of yards) but I also thought the play calling was questionable. They should have been running the ball all game with Rex occasionally going off a play action for a deep bomb to Berrian. Only 1 of the interceptions was truly Grossman's fault and I thought he had a solid game. The Bears showed absolutely no confidence in Grossman and had him play a way that relied completely on the Bears defense and special teams to win the game. You can't beat the Colts like that when your defense isn't dominant. They probably should have unleashed some deeper plays when they realized their defense wasn't stopping the Colts.

I think another problem the Bears have is that they never line Rex up in the shotgun. He says he doesn't like lining up like that, but that's just too damn bad. I think he'd be alot more successful in a shotgun formation. Either way, I think Rex will surprise a few people next year with his consistency. He's not as bad as people make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This is really hijacking this thread but the Colts transformation this season is unlike anything I've ever seen. We're not talking about the defense going from average to good but from horrendous to very good.

-snip-

Very, very different Manning - but part of the reason was it was a very, very different Colts defense. The first half of the season if Peyton doesn't ring up big numbers the Colts are about 1-7 instead of 8-0.

I still can't figure that defense - never seen that kind of turnaround.
    I guess I'm the doubting Thomas, but we didn't exactly see teams in the playoffs follow-through on their pregame commitments to running the ball. Its still there to be exploited, but coaches get caught up in the "I'm behind, I need to throw the ball" mindset and THAT is what the Colts defense is really good at - defending against a team that is desperately trying to pass the ball to play "catch-up".

Let's put it this way, if the Colts get too complacent with their "improved" defense and don't emphasize improving their run defense during the offseason, they could regret that next season.

The Manning transformation is equally as significant though IMO less surprising - he's always been smart.
    What's surprising is that, for a guy that studies that much film, it took him so long to figure out his own scouting report. Or may be knew it in his head but didn't have the maturity/ discipline to work it into his play calling until this year.

I guess I'm the doubting Thomas, but we didn't exactly see teams in the playoffs follow-through on their pregame commitments to running the ball. Its still there to be exploited, but coaches get caught up in the "I'm behind, I need to throw the ball" mindset and THAT is what the Colts defense is really good at - defending against a team that is desperately trying to pass the ball to play "catch-up".
    I think they made a fundamental change and reined in the overused pass rushing that teams were exploiting. Add a couple of changes in the lineup and it totally changed the Indy defense and swagger. When teams couldn't use the pass rush against them to run it forced the opposition to play the Colts more honest. And when they started playing more honest the Colts could selectively release the hounds on the QB on passing downs (which they are very good at).

With the change, they could force teams to abandon the run rather than just giving them the run (which really played into the hands of the opposing team anyway). It's generally good for the Colts when the other team is throwing.

I suppose teams could try and run and run and run at the Colts and wear them down but with the revamped defense getting the Colts early stops (3 and outs), Manning and the offense can chew up clock and score TD's and FG's... because they're still hard to stop on offense. Especially when they play semi-conservatively and don't stop themselves. Even if the Colt defense finally would tire out, those early stops should help the Colts to enough of a lead that the Colts could have much more control of their own destiny on the field.

The question I have is why they didn't do this sooner. But by fixing it later they allowed this team to peak later. I don't know if this was brilliance or brilliance borne of desperation. Whatever... it worked.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Even for a "rookie," he's terrible. The only thing that may keep him in the league for more than 3 years is his status as a Super Bowl participant.

Bball,

I can't dispute what you're saying.

Still, if the Colts stick with the 4-3 (presumably they will), I wouldn't be surprised to see different (e.g., bigger and slower) DTs to go with the current DEs to have a better balanced DL against both the run and pass.

That way, if Freeney overpenetrates against the running play (and the scouting report says he's likely to do so), there's still a DT jamming up the line of scrimmage instead of creating an even bigger running lane.

That, and they Colts probably need a better "tackler" among the LBs.

When your best run-stop player is a safety, that's generally open to being exploited.

I dont' think it is so much rex.. Yes, Rex does have some issues but their offense needs to change. All they are doing is run,run,run, chuck it down field, not to mention all the drop passes some of the recievers should of caught. He'll start next year but I don't know if that Offense is good for him run,run,run chuck down field isnt' his strength.

I'm not going to crucify Grossman. As others said, this was like his rookie year. One observation though. Is he really short? He looks very short on the field.

As for Urlacher. The Colts did a great job freezing him. Somebody was always in the zone he was responsible for. There isn't a whole lot he could do.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.