Thread: About the dunk contest

Default About the dunk contest

Over the last few years... really since the last times Vinsanity and J-Rich won, I've just not gotten into the All-Star dunk contest, and I think a lot of people are with me on that. It's evolved to include more big man power-dunks rather than finesse and supreme athleticism. But anything would be better than what I read today from Tyrus Thomas... I just hope they interviewed him when he was in a bad mood or something. Or maybe he's downplaying it because he really has something spectacular planned. I sure hope so.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ulls-headlines

---

Thomas only dunking for dough

By K.C. Johnson
    Tribune staff reporter

February 6, 2007

SALT LAKE CITY -- Perhaps Tyrus Thomas will display more energy and enthusiasm during the slam-dunk contest than he did Monday in discussing his participation.

Asked if he were excited about becoming the first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event as part of All-Star weekend, Thomas barely looked up from untying his shoes.

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

Asked if an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, Thomas kept unlacing.

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas makes $3.26 million.

The winner gets $35,000. The runner-up receives $22,500. Third and fourth place are worth $16,125.

Thomas' competition is Orlando's Dwight Howard, Boston's Gerald Green and defending champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks.

Michael Jordan will serve as a judge along with heavyweights Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. This slightly stirred Thomas.

"I might have to break out some tapes of old contests," he said. "But I'm just taking it for what it's worth."

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.

---

Perhaps he and Latrell Sprewell can have a dunk-off, split the money, and help feed their families? *shrug*

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: About the dunk contest

Wasn't this kid's big draw in the draft, besides upside and athleticism, his spectacular heart and how intense he was? What a chump. I maintain my earlier statement this will be the worst dunk contest ever.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Wow. What a disgrace this kid is.

Gerald Green can get ridiculous.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."
    Good to see Ben Wallace has had a big influence on him...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i feel the same way. the true dunkers of the league are "too good" for the dunk contest now. sucks.

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.
    ..good to see the tribune still has a cracker jack fact-checking staff....

http://www.nba.com/history/allstar/s...r_by_year.html

2003 Jason Richardson, Golden State
    2002 Jason Richardson, Golden State

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I would love to have seen James White versus Gerald Green. Oh well, maybe next year.

This contest is Green's to lose, barring another BS decision like last year's.

There is one benefit from the fact that the game's top dunkers don't go. As is, it is a good way for younger players to be introduced to a national audience.

Of course, it's also a damn shame that the vets don't agree to go. It's pretty clear to me that they fear failure.

I saw an article earlier claiming Jordan was the only one to ever win it more than once when J-Rich also won it back to back and Harold Minor and Dominique won it twice just not back to back.

Poor Tyrus is going to actually have to TRY to get his "free money" now....

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv..._costs_thomas/

'Free Money' Comment Costs Thomas
    6th February, 2007 - 5:12 pm
    Press Release -
    Chicago Bulls Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson has levied a $10,000 fine on Bulls rookie forward Tyrus Thomas for his comments after being selected to participate in the 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk competition to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA Sports on Feb. 17 in Las Vegas.

?This fine is an appropriate response to the remarks Tyrus made concerning his participation in the Slam Dunk Contest. It is a poor reflection on Tyrus individually and a poor reflection on the Bulls organization and I am certainly disappointed,? stated Paxson.

?The league office has chosen Tyrus to participate in one of its premiere All-Star events and that is an honor that should be accepted with humility. I spoke to Tyrus this morning and am confident he understands that he made a mistake with his words and that he also understands the importance of representing the Bulls and the NBA in a positive way.?

Well, now he only gets six grand to show up. Sucks to be him!
    Wait?! Six grand!?

Mood

It doesn't matter anyway. Gerald Green is gonna walk all over that field. That guy does dunks in games that would win contests.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i feel the same way. the true dunkers of the league are "too good" for the dunk contest now. sucks.
    No. NO. No.. they aren't "too good" for it, their 10 million salaries are to good for it. The game isn't the same and I see it more and more each and every year.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    No. NO. No.. they aren't "too good" for it, their 10 million salaries are to good for it. The game isn't the same and I see it more and more each and every year.
    I hate how teams like the Dallas Mavericks and the Phoenix Suns soil the "true" game of basketball with their winning, fun, unselfish kind of basketball!

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

If Thomas is going to ne like that then the league should find someone who wants to be in the dunk comp
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ..good to see the tribune still has a cracker jack fact-checking staff....

http://www.nba.com/history/allstar/s...r_by_year.html
    I think they are talking about the guys that will BE in the event.
    MJ will be a Judge so he will be in the event? J-Rich wont be in the event somehow? So, MJ is the only back-to-back winner of the event (that will be held), at least how i understood it....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

From Sam Smith...

Rookie Thomas is spoiled, rotten
    Comments on dunk contest show side many haven't seen
    Sam Smith
    On Pro Basketball

February 7, 2007

SACRAMENTO -- How's that adage go? Better to remain quiet and let them think you the fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Yes, folks, introducing Tyrus Thomas.

The Bulls rookie, likely spending time these days in the Latrell Sprewell school of public relations, was justifiably fined by the team for his astounding comments that his participation in the All-Star Game dunk contest was purely mercenary on his part.

You could just see NBA Commissioner David Stern with his head in his hands, another of his kids saying the darnedest things. The discussion at NBA headquarters Tuesday was whether to throw the bum out of the contest.

After all, here was a player appearing to confirm just what many believe, that the NBA is composed of a wandering band of ungrateful thugs who are selfish, spoiled brats just in it for the riches they can gain.

My experience over the last quarter-century is that is not true, that the vast majority of players, despite the occasional Rasheed-ish or Fortson-esque outburst, are decent people who truly appreciate and treasure the game.

Not jerks like, yes, Thomas.

This is one of those things you hear at parties from reporters, the stuff we don't write. See, we are not as bad as advertised. In fact, we try to write about the games and try not to embarrass the players. We really are more guilty of romanticizing the players than tearing them down.

It's one of those unwritten rules, like ignoring Gary Hart's philandering in the 1984 presidential race. Reporters knew about it, but that was his private life. If he wants to live like that, fine, even when he is running for the nation's highest office.

It's especially so in sports. Publish or perish! Nonsense.

Those kinds of stories are mostly unheard of.

Everyone deserves their privacy and if it doesn't interfere with your job or you don't make a spectacle of yourself, well, it's just good party talk.

But once Hart challenged everyone to prove it, well, sorry, your cover is blown.

Make a public fool of yourself, then the Bull has no clothes.

Same with Thomas.

He has been one of the most difficult rookies to come along in the NBA in years?angry, defiant, condescending, arrogant and having little time or interest for anyone below his self-perceived stately place in life.

You want to be like that? Fine. There are plenty of other players to talk to. Good guys. The Bulls really are filled with them.

Like Thabo Sefolosha. What a wonderful young man.

I was watching this scene one day in the Bulls locker room.

After games, the players are ripping off tape and dirty clothes, tossing them into a big basket or tub for good-natured equipment man John Ligmanowski to dispose of or clean. Despite the fact they are supposed to be some of the best marksmen in the world, Ben Wallace excluded, the clothes and tape rarely seem to hit their mark. Everyone gets up and leaves. But Sefolosha went over to pick up his clothes or litter and deposit them where they belong. He apparently didn't want to make more work for Ligmanowski.

The NBA likes players to talk to reporters, but it is not required. Reporters generally know and don't bother someone who isn't interested. But the players understand the relationships with reporters and usually are pleasant, if not deep.

Thomas, who has occasional flashes of candor, generally stares down with disdain, mumbles some cliché and walks away. His response about the dunk contest to Tribune beat reporter K.C. Johnson was typical. He can't be bothered with mere mortals.

Not that this is new.

As far back as the NBA draft, league officials said Thomas was abrupt and uninterested when some tried to make conversation with him. There always seemed to be some bizarre sense of entitlement with him, that anything asked of him is a burden, that the media and team and league officials are some nuisance.

This sort of attitude can get a pass because sometimes you need a jerk to win.

It often has been said, even by the coaching staff, the Bulls players are too nice, a product of the organization's appropriate philosophy of seeking out players of character who are committed to the game, who want to be at practice and play hard. So how did the Bulls end up drafting Thomas? My guess is it wasn't a very good draft, and they decided to take a chance on talent.

Thomas has that, but he also has an edge, a desirable commodity often in short supply.

He seemed almost insulted when reporters asked him about playing against Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan. He was Tyrus Thomas, after all.

But you take a look back over championship teams and there were a lot of these guys. Sprewell helped lead two previously underachieving teams to conference finals, Chicago-favorite James Posey, Rasheed Wallace and Vernon Maxwell come to mind as effective if irascible players. And don't forget old-time tough guys such as Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, Jim Loscutoff and Maurice Lucas. This type of player is not always angry or unfriendly, except to opponents.I wouldn't quite get rid of Thomas. I would just hope he keeps his mouth shut, lets his play speak and permits us to believe he's someone different than we know.

sasmith@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
    One of the guys that works for me played with Tyrus at LSU and knows him (and Dupree and others) pretty well.

Tyrus, prior to signing with the Tigers, had never really left the city of Baton Rouge, where he grew up. Never owned a coat, he was a poor, small-town southern kid.

Back in the old days he would've been a "hardship" candidate. But from what I understand, he isn't rotten or spoiled, and he's not "angry". He's somewhat uncomfortable with the money, fame and most importantly the media attention. And that's why people that knew him hoped he wouldn't have to go to a huge city like Chicago for fears that he'd be overwhelmed.

Anyway, my colleague said that Tyrus is just not a big fan of having the media follow him around everywhere, asking him a million questions. He deserved criticism (and perhaps a fine) for his honesty, but from what I understand the "character attack" from Sam was both unwarranted and inaccurate.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

tyrus is an @$$....I remember a 12 yr old boy asking him for an autograph during summer league and he ignored him. Not till his friend who was with tyrus tapped em and said "Aye Ty you going to sign that for him?" then I heard ty tell the kid to "Put some bass in your voice" after the kid said thanks...
    he is a jerk...and I'm not surprised by this. Hope they pull him out of the contest
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Looks like no more free money for Tyrus.

NBA Looking To Remove Thomas From Dunk Contest
    7th February, 2007 - 4:33 pm
    Orlando Sentinel -
    The NBA, according to a prominent agent, is looking to remove Tyrus Thomas from the slam dunk contest.

"The league is looking to replace him," the agent said.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv..._dunk_contest/

He's a two-footed, two-handed dunker. Its not like he was going to place any higher than fourth out of four.

Jay, thanks for putting Sam's article in context. However, this episode does lend credence to the belief he's an attitude problem, hence how Skiles handles him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

He's got a surly attitude - a chip on his shoulder. No doubt about that.

But not for the reasons Sam mentions. In fact, its probably just the opposite.

He just wants to play ball, make some money, and be left alone. Not saying that's right or wrong, but these guys are real people from real backgrounds and sometimes with real emotions - he's not learned to just rattle off all the meaningless cliches like all the other players do.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    I was watching ESPN, and caught an interesting view. SKip Bayless, IIRC, thinks the stars are so worried about their image as amazing that they don't want to risk going out there and losing. Or, biffing fourteen attemps before they win. Gotta admit, that'd make them look pretty bad.

He also added that Ty Thomas was probably trying to take the pressure off himself by acting like he was just going to screw around out there, so if he does blow it, he'll have a way to back peddle.