Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts from the Warriors game....

streets ahead

Default Re: Odd thoughts from the Warriors game....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think any fan likes the way Tinsley is playing. He's capable of so much better play from a team perspective. But Rick gives every indication that Tinsley is transforming into the type of PG he wants.
    well once again, the PG that we should be playing is on his last legs and cannot go game-in and game-out the way we need or would want to play him. greene can't seem to run an offense and i think last night was mcleods first game of the season (not just as a pacer). so we've got to play the PG we have. Quis is down and who else would you like to run the offense? no one here that i've read is arguing with tinsley's talent. he is tremendously talented which is ultimately why he is so frustrating BECAUSE we know he could be light-years better than where he is at now.

We certainly can't find any/ many quotes from Rick criticizing Jamaal's play, so even if this isn't what Rick has in mind (and I believe this is exactly what he wants from Jamaal, just for Jamaal to shoot those shots at a higher percentage) he appears to be making a 0% effort to stop it.
    this is a combination of what i said before about options at PG and then Rick doesn't subscribe to the Phil Jackson / Pat Riley / Don Nelson / Larry Brown theory of belittling players in the media as motivation. I think Nelson complaining about Murphy and Dunleavy really were damaging the warriors options of trading them, don't you? i mean the pacers had these guys in mind since the artest deal, so what nellie said probably had no impact but other potential suitors, i can't see how his public belittling helped. rick to my knowledge said little bad that wasn't obvious about artest or sjax or al during their time here. and he played all four (counting Tins) while they are pacers. the biggest thing rick ever did was kick sjax off the bench. in my opinion that was HUGE because rick never does that type of stuff. he hides his hand from the media, fairly matter of fact when talking about the team and games and doesn't give great sound bites (a little like dungy or bellichick) so i don't know how much you can judge by on-court minutes or media quotes.

someone referenced bill fitch saying something about praying that tinsley gets traded on a regular basis (i didn't listen to it, but i think i paraphrased that correctly) don't you get the feeling that could be how rick feels too? but fitch is in the position to say it. you would have thought that rick loved al and sjax looking that the media and the playing time. but i think this is more about tinsleys trade value after not playing for most to two seasons.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He doesn't have to belittle them.

If Tinsley isn't playing the way he wants, he has other choices.

McLeod was a capable fill-in starter for Jerry Sloan.

Orien Greene has been around the block.

There are options, and the options are better than Saras or DA, even if they are flawed.

However, Tinsley's minutes keep going up, and his FGAs keep going up. Whether we like it or not, you've got to be in serious denial to think this is all Tinsley's doing without at least a passive (if not more) endorsement from the coach.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Rosen sees the obvious that Tinsley was taking horrible shots.
    We all see it, some just don't want to admit it. The coach has to be blamed to take away or deflect the blame away from Jamaal. Why did we get rid of AJ again? Atleast he made a better number of his shots, looked for better shots and didn't hoist up as many as Kobe.

The number of shots and the quality of them is undefendable! Everyone knows DA is a stopgap, so what should Rick do again with Tinsley if he's shooting like a Gatling gun again? Who should he insert?

Fair enough his second half was better. Too bad we were already down and out at that time.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    DunDUn needs glasses. He has good form and height to his shot but they were all off line, just a bit, unless he was further out from the rim. I remember they discovered this about George McGinnis when he went thru a horrid shooting slump (toward the end of his career IIRC). I'm only half kidding about his need for glasses.
    Didn't that seem to work for Charlie Sheen in Major League? Once he got glasses.....he looked like a poindexter.....but he was able to pitch correctly?

If it worked in the movies.....maybe it will work in real life. Maybe you're onto something......
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

streets ahead

There are options, and the options are better than Saras or DA, even if they are flawed.
    how does it do us any good to play a guy that can't run an offense (greene) or a guy that has never really played within the pacers offense and hasn't played a game all season (mcleod)? i fail to see how those options are better than DA. now over time, we'll see what develops with those two (i am hoping mcleod turns out to be a solid player) but right now if we want our offense to run at all...
    This is the darkest timeline.

Mood

Until I hear something that suggests otherwise, I'm just going to assume Rick is biting his tongue while we showcase Jamaal for a trade. It's the only way this makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    That's the question....why hasn't there as much movement among the players?

More importantly...when did this start happening?

We have played only 9 games since the trade....the 1st game without the new players....and the 3rd one ...without Tinsley. That would leave about 7 games to look at.

For those that have the games TIVOd or taped....can someone figure out when this happened?

My guess is that the ball-movement stopped happening...for one reason or another....once Marquis got injured...and progressively worse as Murphy got injured. I get the sense that Marquis ( either directly or indirectly ) has something to do with this.
    Well, ball movement has been an issue all season. We were fine in the first few games of the season, but it quickly changed.

And since the trade, player movement stopped in the first game. You could see a decline as the players realized we didn't play that way. But it really, really became noticeable as early as the third game against the Knicks.

It's strange because I still have the first Golden State game on "TiVO", and watching MDJ and Troy play for GS is completely different. The biggest difference in moving w/o the ball has been Dunleavy. He never stopped in GS, but he has here because there's little reason for him to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Until I hear something that suggests otherwise, I'm just going to assume Rick is biting his tongue while we showcase Jamaal for a trade. It's the only way this makes sense to me.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo

However, Tinsley's minutes keep going up, and his FGAs keep going up. Whether we like it or not, you've got to be in serious denial to think this is all Tinsley's doing without at least a passive (if not more) endorsement from the coach.
    I don't know if its realistic....but I came up with a few ways to minimize the impact that Tinsley's game has on the rest of the team ( assuming that he can't be traded....which probaly won't happen for another season or two )

1 ) Make Tinsley the backup PG...or cutback his minutes to 24 minutes a game but have him play the majority of his minutes with the backup players ( Rawle, Ike, Foster and Shawne ) so that he can freely score as much as he wants.
    2 ) Use any combination of Marquis, Dunleavy and Armstrong to run the ball-handling and PG duties with the starting unit.
    3 ) Pray that Marquis returns so that Carlisle isn't forced to play both Tinsley and Armstrong at the same time because Dunleavy is ineffective defending the SG.

I'm guessing that Option 1 is unlikely.....but there has to be something that Carlisle can do to minimize the impact that Tinsley has on how the offense is run with the Starters.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

So, Tins breaks the plays, bad start, his fault to many shots:
    (over the previous 4 games JT was 56% shooting adn 7 Ast avg)
    So let's look at what really happend in the first half:

1st play: open pull-up JT : miss
    2nd play: pass Dun > dribble > miss
    3rd play: post-up JT kickout Murph > miss 3
    4th play: post-up JT kickout JO miss
    5th play: break, fake pass left, open jump miss
    (9.30)
    6th play: pass > Dun > DG miss
    7th play: pass > JO > Dun > Murph > JO score
    8th play: pass > DG > JO > travel
    (7.30) 4-14 Time out
    play not shown, miss
    drive > lay-up > miss > JO reb > 2FT
    break > Dun > DG > score
    pass > Dun > JT > JO (foul 2T)
    pass > JO score
    Lob to Dun, missed
    pass > Murph > JT > DG > miss
    pass > DG > JO > score
    pass > Dun miss 3
    pass > Murph miss
    Drive & Dish > JO fouled 2FT
    3.01 JT out DA in 15-25
    end of 1 : 18-34
    2nd: 10.00 Time out 19-40
    JT back in
    pass > DA > JO miss
    JT trips, > DA > Dun score
    pass > JO > DA > JO > JT Drive layup
    pass > DA > JO (st)
    pass > DG 3
    pass > DA > JO > DA > JT miss
    JT clearance, layup score
    pass > Dun miss
    nreak Dun > DA score
    JT Drive blocked
    pass DG miss
    pass > DA > Dun miss
    pass > DG > JO > SW > JO (oob)
    JT drive pull up score
    Break dribble JT lost/recover/score
    Break JT travel
    pass > JO > JT miss 3
    long pass DA score
    pass > SW miss 3
    drive JT blocked . JO (time out)
    pass JO > JT > JO miss
    pass > Mc > JO > Mc > JT > MC drive & loss
    JT Drive & layup score
    JT Drive fouled 2-2
    JT Drive & Dish JO lost ball
    JT Drive & Layup score (after reb bs)
    JT Drive and layup score

idiotic 3 Ellis 42 - 65

So, between 10.00 in the 1st ( we're minus 10 here) and 3.01 in th 2nd we lose another 11 pts down.
    We never recovered from that.
    Most starters were out during that time.

For a "shoot first" I see a lot of "pass"

sometimes it helps seeing a replay.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

and while at it let's add this from Pacers.com:

TRENDS
    Darrell Armstrong has shot 8-of-46 from the 3-point line (.174) in his last 22 games and is 0-of-7 in his last four. Maceo Baston has hit 11 of his last 13 shots, including 2-of-2 from the arc. Ike Diogu has made all 15 of his free throws with the Pacers. Mike Dunleavy has averaged 9.6 points on .362 shooting in the last five. Jeff Foster has totaled 38 minutes, seven points, seven rebounds, eight fouls and four turnovers in the last two. Granger has averaged 17.0 points and 4.7 rebounds as a starter the last 10 games. Rawle Marshall has missed nine of his last 16 free-throw attempts. O'Neal has shot .383 from the field in the last eight. Jamaal Tinsley has averaged 21.8 points, 7.8 assists, 2.6 steals and .506 shooting in the last five.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    how does it do us any good to play a guy that can't run an offense (greene) or a guy that has never really played within the pacers offense and hasn't played a game all season (mcleod)? i fail to see how those options are better than DA. now over time, we'll see what develops with those two (i am hoping mcleod turns out to be a solid player) but right now if we want our offense to run at all...
    With Dunleavy playing point-forward and running the offense, you could afford to have a backcourt of Daniels and Greene or Daniels and McLeod.

If Dunleavy is playing point-forward, you primarily need the PG to prevent dribble penetration and to provide assistance getting the ball into the front court if the other team is pressuring you. I assume that, unlike Saras, these two guys are capable ballhandlers even if they aren't great at running the offense (there is an important distinction there).

The only possible drawback to this is moving Granger back to the sixth-man role, but I think Granger is showing better assertiveness in that role. Its like he's too passive if he's on the court with JO - afraid to tip the scales.

DA makes a lot of mistakes - turnovers, ill-advised shots, defensive gambles - even if he hustles. If he's not able to play at an extraordinarily high energy level, he's a net-negative. And he's playing way too many minutes to sustain this level of performance. I fear what's going to happen in April if we don't develop either Greene or McLeod to take some of the pressure/ minutes off him now. This is about seeing the forest (building a team for the playoffs) instead of the trees (regular season games.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    To those ripping Tinsley's selfishness, you have to ask:

Why does the coach continue to allow it to happen?
    As I've tried to explain Rick has no choice

They added a vice president title when they extended his contract. I can not imagine Rick as the "helpless victim of Jamaal's selfish/ destructive play" here.

Maybe Rick was a "helpess victim" with Ron and SJax in the past, but his bosses figured out that undermining their own coach wasn't such a smart idea after all when they added the new title.

But his coach doesn't stop him.

I don't think any fan likes the way Tinsley is playing. He's capable of so much better play from a team perspective. But Rick gives every indication that Tinsley is transforming into the type of PG he wants.

Don't get me wrong, DA shoots far too often for my taste, too.

As I've said for a long time, I'd rather have Steve Francis and his contract if THIS is how Rick is going to use his PGs. Tinsley is not made to play this way, no matter how much Rick is trying to change him.

I find it funny that Charlie Rosen thinks he knows Rick's gameplan. We certainly can't find any/ many quotes from Rick criticizing Jamaal's play, so even if this isn't what Rick has in mind (and I believe this is exactly what he wants from Jamaal, just for Jamaal to shoot those shots at a higher percentage) he appears to be making a 0% effort to stop it.
    Rick never criticizes any of his players in public. So the fact that we haven't seen or heard any quotes from Rick means nothing.

I'm shocked that you honestly think that Rick wants JT to take those shots. Are you really serious, or just trying to make a point. I realize you have very little respect for Rick, but please.

I'll repeat it again. Rick has been backed into a corner with Tinsley - Rick has no other choice. If he criticizes JT he'll sit out 5 games for some unknown sickness.

Really though I could take Tinsley at the offensive end, selfishness and all, poor shots and all - if he even tried to play defense. yes that is right I don't think he often tries to play defense. He often gives one effort and then he packs it in for the possession - he rarely if ever makes a second or third effort or a consistant 24 seconds of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    To those ripping Tinsley's selfishness, you have to ask:

Why does the coach continue to allow it to happen?

I've been thinking about it all night, and here's my guess....

I think it's all about favorites.

For instance, Jermaine O'Neal could probably play 40 consecutive poor games and Rick wouldn't bench him.

We've seen Rick leave many players in when they a) didn't bring their games with them b) are having an awful night c) don't care about being out on the floor or not, and we've also seen him pull players after one bad decision. It's no secret that he plays favorites, and you've heard the complaints straight out of several players' mouths.

The treatment you get depends on which player you are. If you're Jamaal Tinsley, you get multiple chances.

We've seen over and over from Travis Best, from Chauncey, from Kenny Anderson, from AJ, how Rick wants his point guards to play.

He wants them to be scoring threats.

I think Rick's only regret is that Tinsley isn't shooting a higher percentage.

Jamaal looks very uncomfortable on the court, and his shots are often short because he looks tentative. This is not his "natural" way of playing the PG position. I think he's second-guessing himself a lot.

As for his defensive play - I used to be able to live with his poor defense because of how much better the team/ offense would flow.

Now we don't get either.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Really though I could take Tinsley at the offensive end, selfishness and all, poor shots and all - if he even tried to play defense. yes that is right I don't think he often tries to play defense. He often gives one effort and then he packs it in for the possession - he rarely if ever makes a second or third effort or a consistant 24 seconds of defense.

You know, I've thought to myself many times "Jamaal is really playing when he shouldn't be. I can't believe he's playing with this injury/illness. He obviously feels miserable, but he's still trying. That shows a ton of heart and I really admire that".

But, I've never, in the six years he's been here, thought "Jamaal really hustled his a** off tonight. He gave it everything he had."

If he could just use his heart towards effort the way he can fight through problems, I wouldn't be complaining as much.

Mood

They added a vice president title when they extended his contract. I can not imagine Rick as the "helpless victim of Jamaal's selfish/ destructive play" here.

Maybe Rick was a "helpess victim" with Ron and SJax in the past, but his bosses figured out that undermining their own coach wasn't such a smart idea after all when they added the new title.
    Hey, my idea of trade-bait still fits in this scenario.

With Dunleavy playing point-forward and running the offense, you could afford to have a backcourt of Daniels and Greene or Daniels and McLeod.
    I'm not convinced that Dunleavy sees the court any better than Tinsley, that he runs the team any better than Tinsley, or that he has better decision-making than Tinsley.

Let's figure those things out before handing him the keys, eh?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

We've seen over and over from Travis Best, from Chauncey, from Kenny Anderson, from AJ, how Rick wants his point guards to play.

He wants them to be scoring threats.

I think Rick's only regret is that Tinsley isn't shooting a higher percentage.

Jamaal looks very uncomfortable on the court, and his shots are often short because he looks tentative. This is not his "natural" way of playing the PG position. I think he's second-guessing himself a lot.
    Yes, yes, yes yes. This is exactly right. Very well said.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Does Rick seem like the type of coach that would sacrifice half a season propping up a guy's trade value?

He won't invest the time into developing the players that he wants to keep/ might help him later in the season. I don't buy that its Rick's idea to showcase Tinsley.

I could buy into the idea that its Bird's/ Walsh's idea to showcase him, but even so, I think Rick would be encouraging him to play pass-first if they want him to have any trade value.

Misusing him as a shoot-first guy is almost certain to ensure he continues to have no trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm not convinced that Dunleavy sees the court any better than Tinsley, that he runs the team any better than Tinsley, or that he has better decision-making than Tinsley.

Let's figure those things out before handing him the keys, eh?
    Okay.

My point is, Dunleavy may create solutions to other problems.

He's played point-forward before.

That's why I can't figure out why he didn't work out for Nellie, at all.

Except that Dunleavy appears to be playing with 0% confidence right now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    and while at it let's add this from Pacers.com:

TRENDS
    Darrell Armstrong has shot 8-of-46 from the 3-point line (.174) in his last 22 games and is 0-of-7 in his last four. Maceo Baston has hit 11 of his last 13 shots, including 2-of-2 from the arc. Ike Diogu has made all 15 of his free throws with the Pacers. Mike Dunleavy has averaged 9.6 points on .362 shooting in the last five. Jeff Foster has totaled 38 minutes, seven points, seven rebounds, eight fouls and four turnovers in the last two. Granger has averaged 17.0 points and 4.7 rebounds as a starter the last 10 games. Rawle Marshall has missed nine of his last 16 free-throw attempts. O'Neal has shot .383 from the field in the last eight. Jamaal Tinsley has averaged 21.8 points, 7.8 assists, 2.6 steals and .506 shooting in the last five.
    That can't be right, Tinsley is awful, if it wasn't for him we'd never lose. The rest of the guys are just great, it's his fault, I'm sure of it. The other guys are shooting bad cause Tinsley didn't smile at them when he through them the ball.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Mood

Does Rick seem like the type of coach that would sacrifice half a season propping up a guy's trade value?
    If Larry Bird and/or Donnie Walsh order him to? Hell yes.

He won't invest the time into developing the players that he wants to keep/ might help him later in the season. I don't buy that its Rick's idea to showcase Tinsley.

I could buy into the idea that its Bird's/ Walsh's idea to showcase him, but even so, I think Rick would be encouraging him to play pass-first if they want him to have any trade value.

Misusing him as a shoot-first guy is almost certain to ensure he continues to have no trade value.
    My guess is Tinsley wants to shoot, Rick would tell him to change or shove it if it wouldn't kill his trade value. I think Walsh/Bird want him out, and the only way to do it is to give him his bottle so to speak and hope he looks (individually) better doing it (a la Stephon Marbury... sort of).