Thread: Bruno clears up the draft pick situation

Default Bruno clears up the draft pick situation

Q. The Pacers traded their first-round pick for the 2007 NBA Draft to Atlanta in the Al Harrington deal, but do they still have their second-round pick? This year's draft is projected to be very deep so they could get a solid player in the second round. Also, do they still have their first found pick for 2008? (Daniel Beyer, Muncie, IN)

A. For the moment, the Pacers do not have a selection in the June draft, but these things have a way of changing as teams focus on prospects they believe can make a difference and maneuver to either move up or get into the draft.

Their first-round pick, as you point out, was shipped to Atlanta in the Harrington deal. As things stand now, that would be the 19th pick overall. The second-round pick went to Portland in the draft-night deal to acquire the No. 31 selection used on James White. Released by the Pacers in the final cut of the preseason largely because of the emergence of Rawle Marshall, White was picked up by San Antonio but has yet to appear in a game with the Spurs. His only playing time has come in the D-League.

The Pacers do hold their first-round pick in the 2008 draft. They also have two second-round picks their own and Phoenix's, which was acquired in the James Jones trade in August 2005. As the remainder of its payment in the White trade, however, Portland holds the rights to the worst of those two picks.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_070205.html

Default Re: Bruno clears up the draft pick situation

Ahh, forgot about Pheonix.

So we have no first- or second-round pick this year, but other than that we have all of our picks.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Assuming that DW does his homework.....if there is some hidden gem that meet's their fancy in the 2nd round....I find it hard to believe that DW can't finagle ( sp? ) some 2nd round pick to get someone in this year's draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I doubt anyone in the 2nd round will be good enough to give up one of our players.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Wait, is the pick not protected at all?

He doesn't say it, but I had been under the impression it was top-10 protected.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Clear as mud..yup.

I also believe that the pick is top 10 protected, but I have never been able to find anything in print that backs up what I think I remember. By the way Bruno answers the question I have to believe that it is only protected thru the top 10 because even if the Pacers dont make the play-offs we are still a long shot from being one of the 10 worst teams in the NBA.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Here's one version showing that it is a top-10 protected pick which is why I think Bruno stated that "as of right now the Pacers don't have a pick" because they are "right now" in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ion=si_writers

Filling a void
    Pacers' acquisition of Harrington shores up front line
    Posted: Wednesday August 23, 2006 1:30PM; Updated: Wednesday August 23, 2006 3:35PM

Al Harrington is going back to his old stomping grounds in Indiana.
    AP

The Pacers acquired forward Al Harrington and center John Edwards from the Hawks in exchange for a 2007 first-round (top 10 protected) pick. My analysis of the deal:

Why the Pacers made the trade
    The Pacers had to do something to compensate for the loss of small forward Peja Stojakovic, who left as a free agent (via a sign-and-trade with the Hornets).

Harrington is nowhere near as good an outside shooter as Stojakovic, but he's a better scorer, rebounder and defender. His versatility also is a plus, enabling him to play power forward, with Jermaine O'Neal sliding over to center and promising youngster Danny Granger moving in at the 3 spot.

Pacers boss Larry Bird and CEO Donnie Walsh know Harrington from his previous stint in Indiana, and they believe he will fit well with their vision of a more rugged, athletic team in 2006-07.

Most important is that Harrington gives the Pacers a proven 15- to 20-point scorer to take some pressure off O'Neal and shooting guard Stephen Jackson. The fact that Indiana got him relatively cheap, giving up only a future first-round pick that is top 10 protected next season, makes it even better.

Why the Hawks made the trade
    The Hawks had to get something in return for Harrington, an unrestricted free agent who didn't fit into their long-term plans.

With youngsters Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, Josh Smith and top draft pick Shelden Williams battling for playing time at the 3-4 spots, the Hawks decided Harrington was too expensive to keep around. Apparently, this was the best deal they could get.

Hawks GM Billy Knight clearly did not want to take on any big long-term contracts (hence the decision not to do a deal with the Warriors for Troy Murphy), and he was said to be adamant about acquiring a first-round draft pick.

The Hawks now at least have one more asset (though the Pacers will probably be good enough next year to make that a mid-level pick at best) as well as a $7.5 million trade exception that they might be able to use in the future.

Atlanta also saves a little money, since it gets rid of Edwards and the final year ($1.08 million) of his contract.

Bottom line
    Call it a clear-cut victory for the Pacers.

Indiana desperately needed another proven scorer to stay in contention with the likes of the Heat, Cavs, Pistons and Bulls in the Central Division, and Harrington was one of the top free agents on the market. The fact that Indiana was able to acquire him without giving up a player has to be seen as a plus.

On the other side, the Hawks will have a hard time selling this one to their fan base. It is hard to believe they couldn't get more for Harrington.

Knight might have been handcuffed by the organization's unsettled ownership situation, but his decision not to deal Harrington before last season's trade deadline now looks more questionable.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clear as mud..yup.

I also believe that the pick is top 10 protected, but I have never been able to find anything in print that backs up what I think I remember. By the way Bruno answers the question I have to believe that it is only protected thru the top 10 because even if the Pacers dont make the play-offs we are still a long shot from being one of the 10 worst teams in the NBA.
    Actually as I noted in a different thread, the Pacers are only 3 losses out of the bottom 10. Seriously. March could put them into that position in a hurry.

Just to be clear I'm sure you know that I am in no way rooting for this outcome. I was just thinking about the "what if this keeps going as bad as it appears to be, what are the options then".

A top 10 pick could resolve some of the problems. The team isn't that far out of being good or bad, so just a couple of the right bumps could put them back on track even if this season goes south next month.