Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Is tonight a "statement" game?

  1. #1

    Default Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Although generally these come against conference opponents, and much closer to playoff time. Does tonight hold some significance? We're riding a winning streak and facing a team that wants to kill us, and we should them also. Yes, we are at home-but this one might get a little wild, not sure.

    For the sake of discussion on a Monday, any significance to tonight?

  2. #2
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Yes, we have to stop playing around and get a serious win streak going. This game is a home game, the freakin' COLTS just won the Superbowl. Hopefully we come out with some of their juice and beat GS. But more importantly, we have to catch Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago. I really feel we can take the Central.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    For me personally tonight's game holds significance. First off Jackson let his personality and home life get in the way of team chemistry and ultimately success. Harrington showed little class after the trade and bad mouthed the coach in the press, an action I find no reason for. I'll admit I've done a little routing against Golden State since the trade, but mostly just for the sake of a rivalry. Who can really say that they want to let those guys come back to Indiana and get a win? This game means something.

  4. #4
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,507

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    I'll be honest, I think the crowd is gonna give Jack hell tonight, absolute hell.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    I don't think tonight is what I would call a "statement" game.

    The Warriors are below .500. So just because they have a few former Pacers doesn't make this a statement game.

    However, The Pacers can tie the Cavs tonight with a win. So this is really a big game that is very winable with or without Jermaine. Ike is a good player. He can step it up and have another big game.

    I don't know if we will have Marquis or Troy so that would suck if we don't have those two along with O'Neal. However this game can be won and should be won by the Pacers.

  6. #6
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,608
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    It's not a statement game at all. Golden State doesn't deserve that much credit. They are just a mid season opponent with a losing record that we should beat at home.

    We should win, but we're not at full strength, so it'll be a tough game for us. I hope Quis plays.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  7. #7
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    I think tonight's game has a bit of significance. The Pacers need to keep these wins coming in. Maybe now that the NFL season is over, Indy fans will look too basketball for sports entertainment. If they see the Pacers are winning, they will come to the games...which in general is good for the Pacers organization as a whole.

  8. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    A statement game?

    Maybe for some players, it is.

    But for the team as a whole?

    Not at all. I very much agree with Hoop's assessment: "They are just a mid season opponent with a losing record that we should beat at home."
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    these are the games that scare the h3ll out of me...the pacers have that nasty habit of playing DOWN to the competition. this is a game i fully expect us to loose in horribly embarrassing fashion.

  10. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,672

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Carlisle doesn't seem to be the type to think that this would be a statement type game.....but as another game against a team that we should beat at home. And given a chance to be tied for 5th place....is incentive enough.

    For fans...like us on PD....its definitely a statement game. There's a part of me that really wants to show SJax and Harrington that it wasn't the system that caused us to lose games....it was the players that we jettisoned. In the end....I really want to put an exclamation mark on this trade by showing that we are a much better team with the players that we got.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugsy27 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    these are the games that scare the h3ll out of me...the pacers have that nasty habit of playing DOWN to the competition. this is a game i fully expect us to loose in horribly embarrassing fashion.

    Speaking to this point though (as I very much share this point of view unfortunately)......is this the game where they DO NOT come out and lay an egg? Is this where they put themselves out there and beat a team that wants to bring it tonight? That's what makes me think it could be a significant game.....could mark an attitude change..a la Miami Heat from last year. Maybe looking into it too much, but I'm pretty excited for this game tonight.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Can we just win it, anyways? Cause the Southern Wells school choir is going to sing their hearts out to get things started!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we just win it, anyways? Cause the Southern Wells school choir is going to sing their hearts out to get things started!
    Alright...I'll bite. What's the connection?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright...I'll bite. What's the connection?

    None. I'm just trying to make sure everyone knows that the national anthem is going to be sung by kids from my old high school.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Statement game for Al Harrington, no doubt.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    I hope this wasn't a statement game......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  17. #17
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,608
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    That was one of the most disappointing games of the season so far.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  18. #18

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    I am not really suprised that we got our butts kicked like that.

    This was a game that would get Al and Stephen fired up. There first game at Indiana after the trade. They felt like they had something to prove.

    When it comes down to it Jackson just made shots and got to the line. He is a streaky guy who doesn't play like that to often.

  19. #19
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,100

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Yes, this was a statement game. Jack and Al are both emotional players who wanted to make a statement. However, the statement is falling on deaf ears. Everyone knows they are capable of this. We also know what else they are capable of doing. We know how inconsistent they can be. Jack shot 30% scoring 11 points with only 1 board in 36 minutes the last game. Typical that Jack blew up for an emotional game. The man is a freakin roller coaster. If it's important to him, he will play well. That's the problem with selfish players. It's all about them and getting respect over the trade. Only then will they give 100%. GOOD RIDDANCE!

  20. #20
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Well then it's too bad it wasn't important enough to Dunleavy to give 100% to match Jackson. Or for Danny to stay in front of Jackson when defending him.

    The statement I heard was "Jack defended by Danny is a mismatch in favor of Golden State". I didn't like the sound of it at all.

    I don't understand how people dismiss this so easily. Forget Jack, what about the Pacers stopping an average SG from going off, motivated or otherwise. Is it really that easy? All a guy has to do is want to kick their butts and there is nothing the Pacers can do about it?


    Oh, another statement I heard was "Without Quis this team isn't nearly as good".

  21. #21
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,672

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well then it's too bad it wasn't important enough to Dunleavy to give 100% to match Jackson. Or for Danny to stay in front of Jackson when defending him.

    The statement I heard was "Jack defended by Danny is a mismatch in favor of Golden State". I didn't like the sound of it at all.

    I don't understand how people dismiss this so easily. Forget Jack, what about the Pacers stopping an average SG from going off, motivated or otherwise. Is it really that easy? All a guy has to do is want to kick their butts and there is nothing the Pacers can do about it?


    Oh, another statement I heard was "Without Quis this team isn't nearly as good".
    Part of Marquis returning...not only brings back a decent defender at the Guard spot....but it gives us another reliable scorer outside of JONeal, Tinsley, Granger and Armstrong. Dunleavy and Murphy...over the last couple of games has been shaky...at best...when it came to providing some consistent scoring.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Is tonight a "statement" game?

    Quote Originally Posted by mugsy27 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    these are the games that scare the h3ll out of me...the pacers have that nasty habit of playing DOWN to the competition. this is a game i fully expect us to loose in horribly embarrassing fashion.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •