Thread: Dungy retiring? Not quite yet

Thumbs up Dungy retiring? Not quite yet

February 5, 2007

Dungy retiring? Not quite yet

By Mike Chappell
    mike.chappell@indystar.com

MIAMI -- The Colts are coming home this afternoon to celebrate their victory over the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI with their fans in Indianapolis.

Tony Dungy also appears set to come back for a sixth season as the team's head coach.

Less than 12 hours after being doused twice with GatorAde as the clock ticked down for a 29-17 win over the Bears, Dungy indicated he isn't ready to retire. He is under contract through the 2009 season.

"Every year, probably in the last three or four years, I've kind of evaluated where I am at the end of the year,'' Dungy said at a press conference this morning. "I still have a lot of passion for the game, a lot of enthusiasm. After a night like last night, how can you not love it?

"I'm not burned out. I'm not tired at all. I'm very, very fired up and looking forward to coming back. But I'll evaluate it and we'll see where we go. But generally after a couple of days, you feel like everything is rolling and I do look forward to helping these guys defend this title.''

Dungy and quarterback Peyton Manning, named the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XLI, were the focus of the morning press conference. After meeting with the media, they returned to the team's hotel in Ft. Lauderdale to prepare for their flight home to participate in a parade this afternoon in Indy. The team is scheduled to return to Indy at approximately 3:30 this afternoon.

"We've had a great week down here,'' Manning said. "I don't know how many people would be excited to go back to 10-degree weather coming from Miami, but we are. Looking forward to it, to getting back. That'll be fun.

"To me, that's part of it: winning the game, a parade and that kind of celebration with the hometown fans. To me, that's important that we're going back right away to enjoy with them and to bring that trophy coach Dungy has in his hands back to share with our fans.''

Indy Star

Why Not Us ?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dungy retiring? Not quite yet

The Pittsburgh press has been all over this for a few days. Apparently, he said repeatedly both as a player and assistant in Pittsburgh a number of years ago that he had no intention of coaching beyond age 50 and he's hinted that the only reason he's still coaching was to get the elusive SuperBowl ring.

I don't think burnout is a factor. I think he's got "ministry" things he's interested in doing, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pittsburgh press has been all over this for a few days. Apparently, he said repeatedly both as a player and assistant in Pittsburgh a number of years ago that he had no intention of coaching beyond age 50 and he's hinted that the only reason he's still coaching was to get the elusive SuperBowl ring.

I don't think burnout is a factor. I think he's got "ministry" things he's interested in doing, too.
    Right there were a number of articles in the Star and others within the last few weeks stating just that. I think it was after the AFC Championsip Game that he was asked a similar questions, he said he would review everything like he always does, and make sure he is wanted back, he doesn't take anything for granted. Just like last year there is certainly a chance he won't back.

I do think there is better than 50% though that he will return for at least one more year. I can't hold it against him if he decided to pursue other things. He has said many times he does not intend to be a "lifer", when it comes to coaching.

Why Not Us ?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess he told one of his best friends in Pittsburgh the "I'll retire by age fifty" line back in the early 1980s.

So this friend eventually left coaching and returned to being a sports editor. On the morning of Tony's fiftieth birthday, he called Tony.

Nunn would not be surprised if Dungy does not retire after Sunday's game and never coach again. Back when Dungy was the youngest NFL coordinator at age 29, he often told Nunn he would retire by the time he turned 50. Nunn called him after his 50th birthday in October 2005.

"He said, 'What do you want?'" Nunn recalled with a laugh. "I said, 'I left the ballclub and I've gone back to the Courier and I'm writing again. I just want to get this story about your retirement.'

"He said, 'What are you talking about?' I said, 'You always said you'd retire by 50.' He laughed and said, 'I knew you'd remember that.'"
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07035/759329-66.stm
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you