Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs Lakers post game thread

Default Pacers vs Lakers post game thread

Just got back from the game. Nice sized crowd tonight - I guess the Lakers are still a draw - there were probably at least 500 Lakers fans there.

Let me start with the Lakers. Phil Jackson coached teams have a certainly way they play - it is unmistakable. Sure part of it is the triangle offense - but it is also the way they play defense. They are constantly going for steals, constantly swiping at the ball - Jackson's teams have always done that. I know many of you don't like Phil - and some of you don't think he's a great coach, but I think he's a great coach - his teams are always well coached. I do wonder though when the NBA re-instituted hand checking - I must have missed that.

OK now to the Pacers. I didn't see when Murph broke his nose, but I know he's broken it many times before, so he might need to start wearing a mask. I feel bad for him - he doesn't need that.

I really liked the Pacers defense tonight and we need to start with Granger's job on Kobe - he defended him about as well as anyone could. Sure Kobe missed a lot of shots, but Granger did a nice job.

I also was impressed with Dunleavy's defense - he defended Odom pretty well - a few times Odom got him in a post up situation - but other than that. One thing I need to point out, Mike's team defense is excellent - it is really good, he's in the right spots, he seems to have picked up the Pacers system very quickly. Certainly you don't want to put Mike in situations where he has to guard the other teams top offensive player, but team wise I'm impressed.

I need to say something about Granger. Keep in mind I really like him and yes I know he's a second year player and I'm certainly not trying to be critical, just making an observation. He doesn't seem to know the plays that well, he's often having to be told by teammates, coaches where he's supposed to be and by now he shouldn't have that problem. I don't know what his deal is. Tonight it happened probably 3 or 4 times. And it happens on defense too. In the last 6 minutes tonight Jeff was guarding Odom and DG was on Kobe and the game plan was for the pacers to switch any pick and rolls between Kobe and Odom - but two straight times Danny did not switch and Jeff really let him have it.
    He also needs to work on his ballhandling.

OK, I'll add more in a few

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Post game thread

yeah! lets get this post game thread started! i finally started one. i did not see the game but it appears that DA is really starting to push tinsley. which is very good. tinsley is the key to this team IMO. when he plays well. so do the pacers. anyways. good win.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post game thread

DAMN U UNCLEBUCK! i thought i had done it finally. well i guess i will have to wait. please delete this.

Default Re: Pacers vs Lakers post game thread

One would be a fool not to recognise he is a good coach. Regardless of the talent he has had under him, the man has produced. I still don't like him.

Default Re: Post game thread

DOH!

I missed the game but looking at the box score I think that one key to the game would be Kobe's 6 foul shot attempts. He is a guy who probably gets to the line 10 or more times a night, holding him to just 6 attempts might be as big as him missing shots.

The Pacers for the most part made Kobe a jump shooter which is a wise thing to do. It does not always work but it is better than letting drive to the hoop
    and shoot 20 foul shots. Granger did a good job but he had a lot of help to
    keep him out away from the basket.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

JO's shotblocking and help defense was really good tonight - and that helped in defending Kobe.

Don't look now but Jeff hit all three of his shots tonight - 3 for 3 and that raised his shooting % to 49.4%. If jeff stays healthy he'l;l get his shooting % up to 55% - I guarentee it.

I want Ike to shoot the ball - I want Ike to shoot more - he might be one of the best shooters on the team - if he gets a decent look inside of 12 feet - he'll rarely miss.

Great win, we should be able to get more than a three game win streak this time. Nice team win!

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Foster, DA, JO...and yes Tinsley played very well tonight. I thought Ike had his moments too.

Any reason why Ike and JO cannot play at the same time? Ike is not at all like having Al Harrington paired with JO. He is much, much longer and stronger. Also, Ike is better than Murphy on both offense and defense...and with MDJ on the floor, we will have enough rebounding. ...and he adds some toughness. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great win, we should be able to get more than a three game win streak this time. Nice team win!
    It won't be easy tomorrow night in Memphis. They had the night off where we had to play. Plus with Gasol back they aren't that bad of a team. If they were in the East and had Gasol all year they might have had a better record than the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Greg Anthony was just on ESPN raving about Danny says he believes "he can be not just a star, but a superstar." Also said if he continues to play well we will contend in the East.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Seeing DA in person makes one really appreciate his game all that much more. He drains a shot, then gets back on D, pestering the guys that he is guarding like he is a 20 year old. Plus, is there anyone on the Pacers that draws a charge better than DA? I counted at least 2 tonight. One at the end of a quarter and one after I think he drained a three. Fantastic game for the wily veteran.

DA is a difference maker - he has had a huge impact on this team. In fact if I was voting for Pacers MVP to this point in the season I'd vote JO number 1 and DA number 2. His enthusiam on the bench is contagious - his leadership has been huge - he's won games for the pacers this season more so than any player besides JO

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Greg Anthony was just on ESPN raving about Danny says he believes "he can be not just a star, but a superstar." Also said if he continues to play well we will contend in the East.
    That is what I am talking about, Danny turning heads now!

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Seeing DA in person makes one really appreciate his game all that much more. He drains a shot, then gets back on D, pestering the guys that he is guarding like he is a 20 year old. Plus, is there anyone on the Pacers that draws a charge better than DA? I counted at least 2 tonight. One at the end of a quarter and one after I think he drained a three. Fantastic game for the wily veteran.
    I am beginning to not care how old DA is. Anyone who can make a block like that is in good enough shape to play a couple more years at a pretty high level. I hope he is coaching this team in a few years.

Sports Logo

I was only able to watch NBATV GameNight and saw the highlights. Did Carlisle switch up having Foster defend ( on a few plays ) Kobe?

I'm assuming it was Foster cuz all I could see was a tall white guy with clean cut hair getting his hands in front of Kobe's face
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I was only able to watch NBATV GameNight and saw the highlights. Did Carlisle switch up having Foster defend ( on a few plays ) Kobe?

I'm assuming it was Foster cuz all I could see was a tall white guy with clean cut hair getting his hands in front of Kobe's face
    Not really, Foster just ended up picking Kobe up off and few picks and missed assignments

Sports Logo

Did McLeod play any minutes?

I'm wondering how he did....if he even played at all.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Great game. Watching on FSN, I would say that short of DA's play, this was a loss.

Tinsley did play very well though, and had some defense.

Team defense was great, don't recall LA being held to that few points lately.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I am beginning to not care how old DA is. Anyone who can make a block like that is in good enough shape to play a couple more years at a pretty high level. I hope he is coaching this team in a few years.
    I love his box score stats:

5-8 shooting / 2-4 from the 3pt line / 2-2 FT shooting / 14 points

and he did this all in 16 minutes of play.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I want Ike to shoot the ball - I want Ike to shoot more - he might be one of the best shooters on the team - if he gets a decent look inside of 12 feet - he'll rarely miss.
    I still think that Carlisle isn't as comfortable about giving Ike any significant minutes. With Murphy out after playing 7 minutes of ball...you would think that Ike would get some decent 3rd Big Man minutes off the bench. Instead....Carlisle ends up playing Foster 33 minutes and we end up seeing Ike play a total of 12 minutes.

I'm not saying that Ike should automatically get minutes just because we want to see him develop...I'm just thinking that he should at least get the chance to show what he is capable of.

You guys know more then I do....cuz I didn't watch the game...so I have no idea if Ike was blowing defensive assignments, was making mistakes left and right, or the game was too close and Carlisle didn't have the luxury to give Ike the chance to make mistakes....but as long as he isn't being run over by Odom or Bynum and is not fouling a player every minute....I'm hoping that Carlisle would simply allow him to earn some confidence and make mistakes without being yanked.

Good, needed win.

First off, I want to say we saw one of the best coached gameplans of the year in how we handled Kobe. We constantly forced him into spots he wasn't comfortable in with someone doubling off of one of their less offensive-minded guys. Great, great plan. I really cannot overstate how great the gameplan was.

Secondly, I've been giving Tinsley a lot of crap, but he played better tonight. Two games in a row now he's gone downcourt to Granger for a dunk, so hopefully he's starting to gain a little trust in Danny. He absolutely owned Smush Parker on offense.

Dunleavy did not play a good game. He really clanked it up, but he played some nice defense and eventually made a few plays. He can really finish at the rim.

Jermaine had the best looks he's had since the trade. He's just in a shooting slump for some reason.

Have the Pacers had anyone in the past 20 years that gets post position as good as Ike Diogu? He establishes great position just about every time down court, and he uses Karl Malone's leg moves. If he were 6'11" he would be completely unstoppable.

Anyways, good to get a win despite playing poorly. Luckily the Lakers had an off-night, and they "sucked" according to Phil on the local news. It was great to see that 4th quarter energy after such a lethargic 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

I mentioned this in my post to start this thread. In tha last 6 minutes of the game tonight, Granger was guarding Kobe and Jeff was guarding Odom and whenever those two players ran a pick and roll Jeff and Granger just switched. Good coaching strategy because Granger can guard Odom and Jeff isn't horrible on Kobe.

I really hope Ike gets big minutes tonight. Obviously Jeff should start, but Ike needs to be the 3rd big man while Murphy is out. Don't give those minutes to Baston or Harrison. I want to see what Ike can do in extended minutes. Both times he's played double figures minutes he's scored 8 points. The guy knows how to score.