Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: music at Pacers games - suggestions?

Default Re: music at Pacers games - suggestions?

Well, it's nice to see that only one opinion can be placed here. Listen, if this guy wants to put his business out for opinions, he better be ready for a range of opinions. I wasn't hateful, just flat out said what I think of the concept. I was not personal.

If having a dj at an event is original I would assume none of you have ever been to wedding.

I've seen and been to plenty of b-ball arenas that are very loud, and they did not have a dj working the timeouts.

I would much rather see the pa annoncer go and the rest of the crap that goes on at the game. But then you lose the pre-pubescent audience.

This, to me, is just another bad example of Pacers Inc. not knowing how to market this team to the city and state. And, also, further proof that the 'Basketball State" crap is just that: crap. Over the past few years this has turned into a high school sport state (notice the relative difficulty selling out playoff games for the Pacers and Colts).

And notice that most of the major networks here in town do a friday night football/basketball thing for a half an hour? Nothing like that devoted to the Pacers or Colts.

Hell, they even had one of the local TV sports guys sell out to the other team during the playoffs. Pathetic.

This Pacers team has little, if any, true identity.

This, to me, is just another bad example of Pacers Inc. not knowing how to market this team to the city and state. And, also, further proof that the 'Basketball State" crap is just that: crap. Over the past few years this has turned into a high school sport state (notice the relative difficulty selling out playoff games for the Pacers and Colts).

And notice that most of the major networks here in town do a friday night football/basketball thing for a half an hour? Nothing like that devoted to the Pacers or Colts.

Hell, they even had one of the local TV sports guys sell out to the other team during the playoffs. Pathetic.

This Pacers team has little, if any, true identity.

Little off subject eh?

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul B like I said over at the Star Board I think you great and I am not of the old mindset , I will be 36 and I still Rock out to Old Rock , Alternative , Dance Music , Rap , Jazz and most anything and I think your doing a fine job.

I can listen to most anything , from Godsmack to Metallica , to Jay Z and DMX to yes even Barry Manillow and Elton John there just iisn't too much I don't like other than Country and I do like some Country even. I guess being a former DJ for many Years maybe I can tolerate more than most the older crowd can.

I think it's great your getting feedback from the fans and that's what a good DJ will do is some research , I Have been a DJ since I was 14 , at the local skating rink til about 21 then I moved onto the club scene til about 25 then I started my own company doing weddings and special events so I have seen a wide range of groups myself and it's really a tough task to please everyone and your not gonna please everyone no matter how hard you try.

Folks this is like going to a wedding or a dance place and asking the DJ to play a request , Paul B is taking in feedback and in all realty asking for request from the fans so he can do a better job and get a better feel of what people would enjoy more and this is a good thing. I know when I ran my DJ company whever I was doing a show I would always ask for a list of songs so I could get the feel of a crowd and a Idea of what they enjoyed and believe me it helped alot.

Anyways I will stop boring everyone and DJ Paul B you better Rock the House Saturday cause we need it man , I don't want a bit of Silence on Saturday I wan't the HEAT to go crazy from the noise in COnseco.

pb777

Styrder - Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that Thunderstruck is an excellent choice. I'll look into the other selections you mentioned as well.

Doug - Sometimes we play songs like "We Will Rock You" and "Bang the Drum" b/c they always get a good response. They're "safe" to play, you know. But that's why I'm here, looking for other songs that the core Pacers fans like. Thanks for your support and comments.

Sactolover05 - You've noticed too? I've been working on that. The problem is that what I hear in my monitor and what is played in the house speakers are different. My mic sometimes sounds low in my monitor so I compinsate by screaming, which is a mistake on my part. It's been a learning experience for me thus far, and I hope to improve on that. If you are at the game this Saturday, please comment afterwards on how the mic sounded, that would be very helpful. I'll try to refrain from screaming, but I'm a Pacers fan too and sometimes I get carried away!

Crusher - I do respect your opinion, and am glad that you stated what you did. If I don't like something I'm not gonna say that I do or sugar-coat an explaination.
    The "Basketball State" label is not crap, it's fact. Name one state more into basketball than Indiana. It's just that more and more people are falling in love with the sport, and the crowd is becoming more diverse. We have a broader audience to cater to in 2004. I hope that you will continue to support your Pacers.

pb777

DJ Paul B you better Rock the House Saturday cause we need it man , I don't want a bit of Silence on Saturday I wan't the HEAT to go crazy from the noise in COnseco.
    I plan on it! You better make sure that everyone in your section is loud as ***** so that Miami has nightmares of Conseco. This is our house and I'll be damned if they punk us in our house!

Mood

You can bet on it Paul B , Section 14 will Be Loud and Proud on Saturday

Btw I couldn't hardly talk after last game at home so I expect no voice by the end of Game 5.

canyoufeelit

good question, a lot of teams have some interesting music choices when it comes to the heavy stuff. i noticed the san antonio spurs were rocking some dream theater at the start of the 2nd half of one game... but that wouldn't quite fit this team quite the same way

anyway, most arenas play music during play for about 20 seconds before fading out... rage against the machine would probably be good for this... wake up, killing in the name of, know your enemy, etc. - just basically turn it down before zach starts screaming vocals. zwitter by rammstein would also be nice... going into timeouts, nothing can be better than a some repetitive daft punk. Alive or Face To Face would be cool

Also you MUST play "She thinks my tractor's sexy" 5 times a game no matter what.

pb777

Also you MUST play "She thinks my tractor's sexy" 5 times a game no matter what.
    Not gonna happen, but thanks for the idea, lol!

canyoufeelit

Not gonna happen, but thanks for the idea, lol!
    it would drive the other team nuts, but then again it probably would drive anybody nuts

Quote Originally Posted by pb777
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Name one state more into basketball than Indiana.
    Heard of New York or Chicago? Where people pay more attention to it, are smarter fans, and actually play it on the playground.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heard of New York or Chicago? Where people pay more attention to it, are smarter fans, and actually play it on the playground.
    Feel free to remove Chicago from your list. I'll consider NYC, but not this barren wasteland of basketball knowledge that is presently my home. This might be somewhat of a college basketball town, with all the Big-Ten bars in Lincoln Park and such, but I've yet to meet any Chicagans that are into the NBA. Sure, they were all on the bandwagon in the 1990's, but they were nothing more than that.

New York's fans aren't necessarily smarter than the Pacers fans, but they just have an enormously large base of smart fans. Chicago? Nope. If, during my first three years up here, I could have found a single person to talk about the NBA with (not even the Pacers, just the NBA in general), then I wouldn't have come looking for Pacers Digest last summer.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Feel free to remove Chicago from your list. I'll consider NYC, but not this barren wasteland of basketball knowledge that is presently my home. This might be somewhat of a college basketball town, with all the Big-Ten bars in Lincoln Park and such, but I've yet to meet any Chicagans that are into the NBA. Sure, they were all on the bandwagon in the 1990's, but they were nothing more than that.

New York's fans aren't necessarily smarter than the Pacers fans, but they just have an enormously large base of smart fans. Chicago? Nope. If, during my first three years up here, I could have found a single person to talk about the NBA with (not even the Pacers, just the NBA in general), then I wouldn't have come looking for Pacers Digest last summer.
    People in chicago no longer care about the NBA. Like my roommate.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anything AC/DC and you can't go wrong, but I think you've done a great job already. I think the crowd has responded in a positive way.

The noise level at Conseco is still a big disappointment compared to MSA, not sure if it's the buildings acoustics or the corporate owned seats that real fans no longer sit in.

What I'd really like to see them get rid of, is the 2 annoying chicks that do the fan games at timeouts.

pb777, welcome to the planets best Pacers Forum.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

One of my favorite songs is The Distance by Cake. I think it would be good but its a little weird for a game. I also like Get out the way (MOVE), Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Toxicity by System of a Down.

For Toxicity, you should probably just play the opening music.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Actually, You are doin' one hell of a job up in the DJ booth. I love the album scratchin' and such. As far as music goes, I like what you're doing, so just do what you do. My only beef is what sactolover mentioned about screaming into the mic, but you are on top of that. Hey, Rome was not built in a day and I know that you'll get that down. Anyway, isn't the guy running the sound boards suppose to give you an assist if you are comming across the house too heavy? Also, no matter how much you were to scream into the mic, it is not as bad as Cat Sadler's voice as MC. Too high pitched for that job. IMHO, of course!

I just hope they don't pull the plug on you because no one wants to give you a chance. I get so tired of listening to BOTH local drive time sports talk shows giving you grief because it is something they are not use to.

Rock the House Saturday!!!

...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

"Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

No, seriously.

I've got a couple questions, Sir Paul. Where do you hail from, and more importantly, what is your favorite NBA team?

"I Get Knocked Down" by Smashmouth.

"I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth or The Monkees. (It would seem to be an appropriate song around the message board right now. )

"Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

No, seriously.

I've got a couple questions, Sir Paul. Where do you hail from, and more importantly, what is your favorite NBA team?
    Heck, even Billie Jean

Or Bad
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I thought it was funny the last home game when you called yourself DJ Paul Bunyon. I'm sure that was an accidental slip of the tongue.

Look I'm realistic about the music, I realize that what I would want to hear in the fieldhouse is not what the rest of the crowd would really want to hear.

However there are some songs that are traditional Pacers music that the team has somewhat gone away from over the last couple of years.

One has already been mentioned but the importance of that song to the franchise cannot be overemphasized. Long tall Glasses by Leo Sayer for some reason is very closely associated with the ABA Pacers. The best time to play that song is in the fourth quarter when the game is close or after a huge three by Reggie.

But there are other songs that are somewhat also joined to the franchise.

1. Looking for Axsom (I do not know the artist)
    2. Don't stop me now (Queen)
    3. Party up (DMX)

All three of them were associated with the 90's teams.

Now if your looking for my opinion of some songs that might connect with the locals.

1. Rock Box (Run DMC)
    2. Higher (Creed)
    3. Blue (I don't know the artist but yes, it's that stupid song that you are thinking of, like I said I'm not picking these for me necassarily)
    4. Tarzan Boy (Baltimora) Ok, I kidding about that one.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

3. Blue (I don't know the artist but yes, it's that stupid song that you are thinking of, like I said I'm not picking these for me necassarily)
    Blue is by the techno group "Eiffel 65"

Yo listen up
    Here's a story about a little guy that lives in a blue world
    And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue like him
    Inside and outside
    Blue his house with the blue little window and a blue corvette
    And everything is blue for him and himself and everybody around
    Cause he ain't got nobody to listen...

I'm blue da ba dee...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

BLegh, working streak kept me to busy, even my bed send me an sms to ask whether it could find employement elsewhere or if i cold at least send someone round to do some dusting

If you want a copy of Long Tall Glasses (if you can burn your own cd that is) then let me know and i will get it ready for you.

I wil still make some more suggestions, but only when i find some time, after all the game is tomorrow
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I'm more into Toby Keith and Reba McIntire......no, huh?

Ever hear of a song called "How do ya milk a cow?" by the Parodies? It's hilarious and when the HICK smack starts it'd be fun to pull out.

(just jerkin' witcha)

I'm really not into the new music, even my kids (early teens middle-class white-folk) even their music is too much for me.

I mentioned the other day how the P's early years used to bring in high school pep bands to play...got small communities involved in the Pacers and built state-wide interest. COurse it meant 30-40 seats they had to give away instead of sell but they thought it was worth it then.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

I thought it was funny the last home game when you called yourself DJ Paul Bunyon. I'm sure that was an accidental slip of the tongue.
    Actually it wasn't a accident , that's his name that he uses DJ Paul Bunyon

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere.

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere.
    Re-read your quote there. He goes by DJ Paul B at the games but goes by Bunyon elsewhere. Hence, it was an accident when he slipped up & called himself that there at the game.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Didn't you just prove that it was an accident?

I'd love an opportunity to cross-examine the witness, your honor.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you